Cyberpunk 2077 A While Away Whilst Witcher Bewitches

If you hadn’t guessed from the fact that developers CD Projekt RED have just released one of the finest, biggest, and prettiest open-world RPGs I’ve seen in a jolly long time, their other big RPG won’t be along any time soon. But how soon is not-soon, and how soon is now? When can we play, or at least see, Cyberpunk 2077 [official site]?

I wouldn’t expect to hear anything substantial about the game this year and maybe next, going by recent comments. We live in the time of The Witcher, you see.

Cyberpunk 2077 is to be an open-world RPG set in the mean future where everything’s a bit grim and we’re all gone a bit robot. It’ll focus on the Psycho Squad, a special arm of the police tackling folks who’ve gone wild on implants and stims and done naughty crimes. That’s the gist of what we know, and who knows how the game might’ve changed over the years anyway? And might yet over the years to come.

“We hope and we are certain that Cyberpunk has even bigger commercial potential,” CD Projekt CEO Adam Kicinski told Reuters recently. “It is too early to talk about it, though. This year, and the next one will be the years of the Witcher.”

That makes sense, given that the announced Witcher 3 expansions will carry over into next year. Heck, remember that it was four years between The Witcher 2 and 3.

CD Projekt were a lot more willing to talk about Cyberpunk 2077 a few years ago. They announced it in May 2012 then followed up in January 2013 with a pre-rendered teaser trailer of cool cyberpeople, then told us a load about the game and the Cyberpunk universe. Then went a bit silent. They did say in 2014 after delaying Witcher 3 (which they’d later do again) wouldn’t hold up Cyberpunk but hey – they’d never said when they would release Cyberpunk anyway.

Now quit yer griping and go back to The Witcher 3, you big silly. Here’s that teaser trailer again:

1. jezcentral says:

I seem to remember 2017 buzzing around as an earliest date, so this fits that. Boo! :(

• klo3 says:

Are you complaining about the fact they might release it 60 years in advance?

• skittles says:

Truly disappointing if 2017. I had always assumed they had a separate team working on this and it was being worked on concurrently with Witcher. Or else why the hell did they do that announcement trailer so early? They announced it in 2012!

For all that I do like The Witcher, I would have much prefered 2077 over W3.

2. Xyviel says:

So, about that Wot I Think…

3. MrNash says:

So curious about this game. Been wanting a good cyberpunk RPG for a while. Something big and open world a la Witcher but in the future would be great. =)

4. Bloodyhell says:

Seems like the only thing CD Projekt has is a CG vid and a bare bones concept. It’s kind of hard to get excited about that. Why show a video in 2012 for something you have no plans to show further until 2017? Seems kind of ridiculous.

• Lacero says:

I think they used the video to attract people who wanted to work on it.

• Cinek says:

I doubt that the only thing they have is a bare bones concept. All of the teams working on early game design stuff and writing for the Witcher 3 were free for XX months already and they most likely worked (and still are working) on the Cyberpunk. While the “meat” itself – programming, 3D, level design, etc. – cannot be done right now because they are busy Witchering – “skeleton” of the game must have been done to a degree by now.

• Kodaemon says:

Seems like they bit off more then they could chew, honestly. I mean, a relatively small developer studio doing two open-world RPGs at once doesn’t seem realistic. There’s the team building aspect, of course, but I doubt this was the plan all along.

• FriendlyFire says:

Don’t really see any claim or reason to do two at a time. Game dev happens in phases, and each phase tends to require different people, so you can work on two games in succession with some overlap without requiring a larger team. In fact, it’s generally better for the team, since the alternative is rolling layoffs as people get phased out.

• manny says:

In fact this is the ideal method as then you don’t have to fire everyone after your done with them. Just move them to a different game.

Don Reba says:

Come touch me like I’m an ordinary man, have a look in my eyes.
    Underneath my skin there is a violence, it’s got a gun in its hands.
    Ready to make sense of anyone, anything, anyone, anything…

• sebmojo says:

BULLETS ARE THE BEAUTY OF THE BLISTERING SKY
      BULLETS ARE THE BEAUTY AND I DON’T KNOW WHY

• TimePointFive says:

PERSONAL RESPONSIBILITY PERSONAL RESPONSIBILITY PERSONAL RESPONSIBILITY PERSONAL RESPONSIBILITY PERSONAL RESPONSIBILITY

6. belkalra says:

While you’re waiting for 2077, may I recommend Satellite Reign? I took a crack at the early access yesterday, and it was really fun (Combat reminds of GTA though)

7. Synesthesia says:

Man, I hope they get it right. I’m glad it’s in their hands, though. They clearly take their work to heart.

8. Zenicetus says:

Cautiously optimistic here. I know I should be more confident based on what they’ve done with Witcher 3, but that series just seems like such a perfect fit for the studio, and they had plenty of source material they didn’t have to write themselves as a foundation.

Writing a new sci-fi scenario from scratch (assuming that’s what they’re doing) is risky. The Mass Effect series was a soild action RPG, but the sci-fi setting and story were bland and derivative (IMO). I hope they have some good writers on board for this.

OTOH, I can’t think of another studio I’d rather see doing a cyberpunk themed game. So, go CDPR!

• Cinek says:

You clearly don’t have a clue. Like: Not even slightest. Here is something to begin with: link to en.wikipedia.org

• Zenicetus says:

Okay, scratch “writing from scratch,” but that’s still a derivative work.

What makes the Witcher series so interesting — to me at least — is the originality of the character and setting. Yeah, it’s loosely Tolkein-esqe like almost all fantasy RPGs, but it has that odd Eastern European folk tale flavor. The pen and paper and computer games that tried to riff on the William Gibson and Bruce Sterling “mirrorshades” settings were just never very interesting to me, compared to the original novels. YMMV, obviously.

Anyway, that’s why I’m hoping for something more original and interesting than just recycling 2nd and 3rd generation takes on the original ideas, in this particular sci-fi genre.

Edski says:

They have Mike Pondsmith, creator of the RPG the game’s based on, working with them on the project. He’s not a man short on ideas.

Phasma Felis says:

It’s possible to correct someone without being a dick about it.

9. brokeTM says:

That’s a shame, why did they have to announce it that early though? was it 3 years ago? I’ve been pining for more news since that day. And now this…

10. Stevostin says:

“go back to The Witcher 3”

Maybe when there is a WIT. I bought the previous two and those are amongst the few RPG I actually dropped after a few hours. Is it TPV ? It sure is a drag, but I can stand it in Mass Effect. Is it because we’re forced to play a predefined character, not only with fixed face, but kind of established overall path ? Certainly doesn’t help either. Is that because it was packed with reference to a lore/previously on the Witcher which they didn’t care to explain ? That also was a serious issue. Is that because it was faux beautiful, terrible art direction with incredibly ugly palette and cheap fx to hide a poor optimisation ? Ah, I had trouble with that as well. Ah, and potion, is there anything that I find less interesting than winning because I am a cheat ?

I’d love to love those games, and I am willing to give a chance when I read the review, but it’s very unlikely I play it.

• Zenicetus says:

Ordinarily, I’d say read the review and maybe wait for it to go on sale, if you bounced off the first two that much.

But your comment about potions as cheating…. well, that’s central to the way the lead character operates. He has to use potions, blade poisons, and magic signs to help survive the tougher fights, because he’s not a superhero. And he’s almost always fighting alone, not in a party as in the Mass Effect or Dragon Age games. Having to use that “extra” stuff to survive the tougher fights helps make the character feel vulnerable, which is refreshing in a game like this. It also helps mix up the combat so every fight isn’t the same.

If you don’t want to use potions at all, you could play on one of the first two difficult settings without ever touching them. That won’t work on the two higher difficulty levels though. Anyway, if you want a pure sword-fighting fantasy game, and one that isn’t so heavily centered on a pre-defined character, then this probably isn’t one you’ll enjoy.

• klo3 says:

This is true.

I’ve played both previous games and started to play W3 on Blood and Broken Bones (the third of four difficulty levels) without using potions – I died more times than when I first started to play Demon’s Souls.

The game is clearly balanced so that taking potions is a must (unless you prefer tedium), which also makes it stay true to the novels. Even though I do not particularly enjoy the mechanism of farming for ingredients and using consumables it is justified and works okayish in the Witcher games.

• hungrycookpot says:

I don’t really consider what the witcher 3 does “farming”. To me that implies repetitiveness and tedium, which isn’t the case. You never have to go collect the same ingredients for the potions you already made, you just mix in more alcohol and replenish your stock. While this does feel a little cheaty to me, I really appreciate them taking away the grind of having to revisit the first area or go to the herbalist after every quest to buy more grass.

• Stevostin says:

Thank you guys, I do appreciate you taking the time to give me that info (even so it’s not exactly making me warmer about the game :(

11. Lanfranc says:

Hmm. Is it really possible to at the same time both hope for something and be certain of that thing? Discuss.

12. simontifik says:

That has got to be the most practical way to hide a blade in the forearm of a cyborg.

Take note Adam Jensen.

13. Delora says:

Witcher 1 – 2007 > Witcher 2 – 2011 > Witcher 3 – 2015 > Cyberpunk 2077 – 2019?
    That looks legit, but 4 years is a long time, and 2 years for any info regarding it is also quite painful.