Batman Meets Poison Ivy In Arkham Knight Battrailer

Needs more lurid neon, obvs.

Watching the latest gameplay trailer for Batman: Arkham Knight [official site], I’ve come to a realisation: the Gotham I’d like a Batman game set in is from Joel Schumacher’s Batman & Robin.

This new trailer has Batman fly, leap, and drive around town, see, and though it has some nice detailing and neon signs, it’s all a bit drab, I want the city to rise a mile high, skyscrapers pierced with roads atop the shoulders of colossi, lurid mood lighting, and marauding gangs of kooky punks. Please watch this trailer then pat me on the shoulder saying “There there, Alice, of course.”

I’m right, right? The punching and gliding and grappling look as fun as ever, but the ‘gritty’ tone of the Arkham series looks more stretched and silly than ever. Arkham Asylum worked in its constrained environment, but Arkham Knight’s going a bit ‘Batman meets Escape From New York‘ – and even EFNY has Isaac Hayes as the Duke of New York with chandeliers on his car. Arkham Knight looks like it’s trying to straddle a spiky fence between comic book Batman with its wacky supervillains and Christopher Nolan’s Batman movies, and the two don’t mesh well at all.

I still don’t know what’s going on with those tanks either. They’re drone tanks, apparently, but yep, someone thought the Arkham games needed tank battles. That’s not how Batman should fight cars. He should race cars over the shoulders of a vast Atlas statue between two buildings, down its arm at such high speeds that they spin out on the elbow into a deserted meat-packing plant. I’m telling you: Schumacher’s Gotham is the one for video games.

Still, I’m sure it’ll all be plenty fun. The Batfundamentals are there and have been honed ever several games, even if tank combat is now ‘a thing’. We’ll see come June 23rd, when the game launches.

Top comments

1. 1Life0Continues says:

I originally posted this on my FB, but it bears repeating here.

Batman Arkham Knight needs an additional unlockable mode called "Adam West mode"

The old outfit, a comic book filter over the whole thing, and Bat-Fight words with every punch and kick, and Adam West's voice. Make it DLC if you have to, but inject some damn silver age levity. Please.

Because the series might be too far up the ass of Nolan's Dark Knight at this point.
  1. AriochRN says:

Now I want to play an Escape from New York vidjagame, something like Fallout 3 with John Carpenter music.
    It was set in the space-year 1997 and the first VHS I ever rented and now I feel old :(

• N'Al says:

Whilst clearly inferior as a movie, I think Escape from LA would make a great setting for a videogame too. Basketball-of-Death minigame, Surfin’ the Waves section with your trusty sidekick Peter Fonda, etc.

Ok, maybe not.

• gunny1993 says:

Only if they get Steve Buscemi

• AriochRN says:

[adopts Sean Bean voice]

Escape has no sequel. Escape needs no sequel.

[walks away pulling tape from VHS of Escape from LA. Cue Carpenter music – Da Dum Dum DumDum]

• gibb3h says:

that sounds ace, John Carpenter does fantastic sound tracks

• Jalan says:

Carpenter makes fantastic music, even now at his current age. The same can’t be said for quality of his films but… at least he’s still directing them from time to time.

2. montorsi says:

There there, Alice.

The fundamentals were honed over a pair of games. The third done by a separate studio, and it showed. This should be a return to form, one hopes.

• Emeraude says:

For all the deserved flack it caught, I think people have been a bit harsh with the studio that did Origins.
      The game had some interesting moments – I thought the detective work bits were, well, not great but perfectly fitting the streamlined combat in principle if not execution, and would deserve another iteration.

• Eight Rooks says:

I’ll go one better – Origins is my favourite of the three, for all its obvious flaws. Rocksteady are a technically brilliant development team but I found Asylum and City pretty much soulless – City in particular was a fearful bore in the home stretch, one of the few games I had to force myself to finish. Origins makes the Joker actually scary/intimidating, it has a Batman who’s portrayed as out of his depth and doesn’t know what he’s doing, and while its take on the twisted bromance/they need each other thing is hardly new, I thought it was absolutely brilliantly done in places. Asylum and City had precisely nothing to get me feeling any kind of real emotion over beyond lizard-brain I’M THE GOD DAMNED BATMAN WHOOOOOOOOOO.

Arkham Knight looks like it’ll be stuffed with “content” and enough graphics to melt my eyeballs as well as my video card, so I’d be lying if I said I wasn’t tempted. But I’m expecting it to be about as mechanical and unengaging as it gets. Yawn, all the criminals have escaped yet again, ho noes, only Batman can stop them, blah, blah, blah. Perhaps John Noble can liven this up, but I’m not holding my breath.

• ResonanceCascade says:

I enjoyed Origins from start to finish. In fact, I pretty much mainlined it, beating it over a single weekend IIRC. I do think it’s the weakest of the three, in the same way that Temple of Doom is the weakest of the three Indiana Jones movies. But it was still a good game relative to other similar franchises.

3. 1Life0Continues says:

I originally posted this on my FB, but it bears repeating here.

Batman Arkham Knight needs an additional unlockable mode called “Adam West mode”

The old outfit, a comic book filter over the whole thing, and Bat-Fight words with every punch and kick, and Adam West’s voice. Make it DLC if you have to, but inject some damn silver age levity. Please.

Because the series might be too far up the ass of Nolan’s Dark Knight at this point.

• mattevansc3 says:

But if you have Adam West Batman in the game it’ll require there to be actual detective work and we all know Batman is only the World’s Greatest Detective because he’s rich, gritty, power armoured and beats people up.

• Spacewalk says:

Beating up everyone who disputes your title of World’s Greatest Detective is probably not the best way to go about it even if they make fun of your power armour.

• Dances to Podcasts says:

Example of detective work: link to imgur.com

• mattevansc3 says:

Still more detective work than shown in the Nolan films ;-)

• Solidstate89 says:

Why the hell would I want to play as a Batman that isn’t voiced by Kevin Conroy? That just don’t make sense.

• Jalan says:

Exactly. There’s more than enough Adam West in LEGO Batman 3 anyway.

• Bereil says:

Arkham City has a cosmetic costume for the Adam West Batman, iirc.

The audio sounds exactly like the previous game, down to “SCARECROW, where is he hiding!?!” “I’ll break every bone in your body!” *POW* *CRACK* *KAZZAP*

4. hawken.grey says:

So much adolescent teen boy fantasy. I don’t mean that in a good way.

• gibb3h says:

that’s kinda the point of comics…

• PancakeWizard says:

Because adults are disgusted by the female form? What?

• Pop says:

Because adults like people to wear clothes.

• PancakeWizard says:

Not all of us live a monastic life-style.

• Emeraude says:

Depends on what people, when, where and which clothes.

I mean just look at all those adults freaking out about a veil being worn by girls at schools in France. For one example.

• gunny1993 says:

As Bokon writes “Maturity is a bitter disappointment for which no cure exists, unless laughter can be said to cure anything”

• pilouuuu says:

There we go again… The human body is beautiful. And if she feels like wearing no clothes, who are we to judge her?

Besides, maybe her powers protect her from getting a cold too.

• pepperfez says:

It bears noting that she doesn’t feel like anything, because she is not a person but a fictional representation. The actual people who designed her felt like having her wear no clothes, and I’m quite comfortable judging them for that.

• Jackablade says:

I thought we were talking about the Batman tough-guy act. That seems far more eye-rolly than Ivy’s pandering costume design.

5. PancakeWizard says:

The tone/art looks like it goes back to the Arkham Asylum/City days and that’s just right for me. Origins was a fun game, but the swing towards ‘gritty real’ was always a bit of a shame, I thought.

6. EighthNote says:

I think Poison Ivy maybe forgot to put on pants this morning.

It happens to the best of us, right?

phuzz says:

*looks down
      Damnit! Not again!

• Jalan says:

Why would she have done a wardrobe change between this game and Arkham City?

Oh… right.

• ResonanceCascade says:

What if Poison Ivy is just having a nightmare about forgetting to wear pants to work and we’re all just her dream?

7. Mint says:

Did anyone notice that the PS4 version shown in this video just about looks on par with the PC version on max settings of arkham city from a few years ago?

8. XhomeB says:

I… really do not like the Batmobile sections they’ve shown so far. It’s when Gotham suddenly turns into a warzone and the Batmobile itself into nothing more than a tank.
    There was something “majestic” about that car in the movies, especially Burton’s, here… I’m just not feeling it.

9. Kestrel says:

Ivy: “Nature always wins” OH GOD. That reminds me of the terrible “evolution always wins” line from Man of Steel.

Also, does Gotham have any actual, peaceful residents? Is everyone a criminal?

10. jezcentral says:

Wow, All-Star Batman and Robin: The Game.

• lowprices says:

I would play that, but only if there was a specific button to declare yourself the Goddamned Batman.

• Kollega says:

I said at the original Batmobile reveal that this game seriously smacks of ASBAR to me. Although, to be fair to it, it’s not quite there yet :P

• Emeraude says:

It’s been treading that line since the original game I’d say.

11. MisterFurious says:

When did The Punisher start wearing a cape?

12. Umberto Bongo says:

Is it just me who’d welcome a game version of Paul Pope’s incredibly physical take on Batman from Year 100? Cel-shaded with an emphasis on movement, like Mirror’s Edge. Possibly having to stop every so often to pant and splutter and fall over.

13. 2late2die says:

Honestly, I’m kind of getting tired with this type of combat. I know it was probably in part due to this being an early level, but when Batman was fighting those goons, it’s like they just came there to be punched. They moved like they were underwater, pretty much approached him one by one to get a beating. I get it, they’re not supposed to be super challenging, but damn, put up a bit of a fight, give us a bit of challenge – there were a dozen of them there and it might as well have been 2.

Anyway, I was kind of bored with Arkham City so I’m not sold on this one, but we’ll see, maybe the reviews will be stellar.

• welverin says:

I had issues with AC as well, it was just too damn big, and it detracted from the experience. I think AA’s tighter and more concise campaign made it the better overall game.

Knight seems to being intended to dwarf City, which is why I’ll be giving it pass, and yet I watch that trailer and want to pick up (I’ll probably break at some point and pick it up on the cheap).

14. welverin says:

The only place Joel Schumacher’s Gotham has a place is in hell as a form of torment for the damned.

• Jalan says:

I’m still a fan of Batman Forever, especially since it was dancing along the line of Burton’s gothic darkness and the completely bonkers camp Schumacher was pushing for (and yes, I say that acknowledging both The Riddler and Two-Face’s presence within it). It also showcases a Kilmer who hadn’t been chewed up and spit out by Hollywood, which makes how he looks these days all the more tragic.

Then Batman & Robin had to happen… and well, every fan has to recognize their limits, even if someone has to test them to do so.