It’s Swery Time: D4 Demo Released

Last time I posted about D4: Dark Dreams Don’t Die [official site], I was a bit vague about what it is. It’s an adventure game, right? But not like typical adventure games. And it has action segments. And it all has loads of QTEs that tire your character. And coming from the chap behind Deadly Premonition, it’s obviously a bit weird. It’s… look, you can see for yourself as a demo has arrived ahead of its release next week. Finally, respite from relying upon this dolt’s foolish clacking!

The demo has two parts. One’s a short QTE-driven fight on an airborne plane which includes dancing with a lady and an unexpected use for a mannequin leg. The other’s a big longer, roughly ten minutes of pottering around time-travelling private dick David’s flat. The adventure bits use ye loathsome ‘click on arrows to rotate the view and markers to move’ control scheme that should’ve died in the ’90s, but scenes are so dense and you’re expected to have a good poke it feels a little less hateful than usual. Yeah, I’m up for more of this.

It’s a 2.4GB download available here. Though the game will be on Steam (and GOG and Humble), that’s not an option for the demo.

Surprise surprise, the port looks pretty shoddy. 1366×768 is the highest resolution option offered for my 1920×1080 screen. The system requirements are more demanding than you might imagine, so do give the demo a crack if you’re curious, even if you’d rather come to the game fresh.

The game is due to launch on June 5th. It’ll cost $14.99 (about £10).

1. Not_Id says:

Why does RPS give a crap about console games being released on pc?

• JiminyJickers says:

Because they are being released on PC.

• Not_Id says:

Ah, wise one speak wise words. But wise one not explain why console game not arrive on pc before console. Maybe console game not make enough money so developer think Ah pc? They be mugs? I think yes no?

• BiggerJ says:

This is a special case. D4 was originally an Xbox One exclusive and the devs were forced to make it use the Kinect. But by the time it was released, that restriction had been lifted and the Kinect wasn’t even bundled with all Xbox Ones. On top of that, it was very badly marketed. The only hope for future seasons of the game being made and released is PC sales.

2. Ejia says:

Well, I suppose this same post is the last time you posted about D4, if you look at it from the outside, but maybe the first and fourth links are supposed to go somewhere else.

• Not_Id says:

The first link is paradoxical. atm anyway.
      The fourth link (Deadly Premonition) is also paradoxical.
      Alice I fear, is stuck in a paradoxical loop.

3. Wedge says:

Errrr, the port seems excellent to me. I’m not sure why it would be reading that resolution as your max resolution, but since the game is UE3 it’s a simple matter of changing the resolution in the ini file to fix it. It read 1080 for me fine and looks and runs fantastic. Doesn’t have much in the way of graphical options, but I was able to add my own AA method through RadeonPro easily. The all new mouse controls were surprisingly non-fiddly and in general the interface and game were smooth and quick loading compared to the clunky Deadly Premonition with it’s PS2 origins.

Also I would suspect the “system requirements” are an overshoot based on it’s native system being the XB1. It will likely run on considerably less, but since it isn’t really graphically scalable they’re just going with what they know works.

4. CrazyPaladin says:

What, there’s a demo? The “full” game is basically a demo, there’s only 2 episodes and the story barely starts when the game ends. Now if only the actually finish the game…

5. gbrading says:

After Deadly Premonition being even more uselessly broken on PC than it was on consoles, I’m not touching this with a bargepole.