None More Black: Darkest Dungeon Expands

so which one's the Man-At-Arms? Oh, right

Darkest Dungeon is a good time, if your idea of a good time involves people going mad, dying horribly, getting lost in brothels or demanding to be flagellated. If it doesn’t, why not? Pervert. While one of the more robust Early Access offerings it was not without annoyance at launch (Yes, I know full well you’re in distress, Hero! Stop barking at me!) and there was clearly much more to be bolted on. Last night’s Fiends & Frenzy update is the wondrously-narrated team roguelikelike’s biggest step forwards yet.

Most notably, there are two new hero classes, which is good news if you’re getting bored of seeing the same old leprous faces again and again. Arbalest and Man-At-Arms are the newbies. I sadly presume the latter is not the YMCA dude from He-Man. I haven’t found either in rapid poking at the updated version this morning, so can’t tell you anything else about them other than what’s implied in the header image, but I fully intend to play more and find out.

We also get several new bosses, just in case the game’s combat wasn’t desperate enough, a new building in town, various new loot and the potential for your heroes to have fatal heart attacks if you let them get too stressed. This latter strikes me as significant, rather than just playful – previously, the penalties for stressed-out heroes were primarily various degrees of annoyance, but now there’s a real risk of permanent consequences. It puts the light/dark system even more front and centre. Also you can get full up now, so no more food-binging for you, laddie.

There are many more ‘quality of life’ and UI tweaks, based primarily on feedback from Early Access players, and all of which are listed here.

I very, very much want to go back, though with that comes the guilt that I should be playing stuff I’ve yet to try instead. Everyone keeps talking about Life Is Strange…

1. Wulfram says:

Fiends and Prenzy?

2. FuriKuri says:

My biggest loss/source of anguish in this game to date was when they meganerfed hellions. Gone are the days when you could annihilate 3 enemies from nearly every position in the team.

RIP you demented death-dealing damsels.

3. John O says:

YOUR life is strange, if you don’t give in to the urge to play Darkest Dungeon AHAHAHAH

4. lowprices says:

“YMCA dude from He-Man”

On it’s own, that description does not actually rule out any of the characters from He-Man

5. padger says:

This game kind of drove me mad for real. Exhausting.

6. Enkinan says:

Such a great game, I really wore it out a few months back. Looking forward to a new go around at some point soon.

7. Bloodyhell says:

Love the concept of this game and bought it awhile back. The “improvements” make me want to play it less though, as it caused a lot of anxiety as it was. Great game though and still love watching someone else play it. :)

• MirzaGhalib says:

I am in the same camp. I keep wanting to get back to the game but everytime I look at it in my Steam library I am filled with irrational dread.

8. silentdan says:

I’m scared of The Wizened Hag. The way my guy’s tortured, blistering hands reach up out of her infernal cauldron, as two of his companions try in vain to free him, while the third bleeds out on the floor … they did that part a little too well. I’m so scared of The Wizened Hag that I’m just staying away from her turf.

Also, it has the best narration since Bastion, if you ask me.

• MrFinnishDude says:

The cauldron gives stress damage to the heroes and players alike

9. Joe The Wizard says:

I eagerly await the 1.0 release of this game. I enjoyed the hell out of the Early Access time I spent with it, but stopped because I didn’t want to burn out before it was finished.

10. ribby says:

Okay so Episode 3 of Life is Strange was pretty good!

teije says:

This game looks awesome already, but I am manfully resisting the Early Access urge. Sunless Sea is immersing me fully right now.

12. David002 says:

Hello,
    Are you in any financial problem or mess? Do you need quick or cash loans to clear off your debit and get back to feet financially. If so do contact us with our email below Email:trustguaranteeloancompanyplc@gmail.com
    Best Regards,
    Mr.David Clark{MD}
    trustguaranteeloancompanyplc@gmail.com
    Trust Guarantee Loan Company Plc.

13. ninnyjams says:

Am excited to play this once controller support is added.