Hot Date Is Hatoful Boyfriend With Speed-Dating Dogs

It may surprise you to know that Hot Date [official site], a game about going on a series of dates with a dogs, didn’t come to my attention through my weekly Butt Dungeon newsletter. In fact, I think I in some ways I always knew that some day a game would be inspired largely by the events of my life.

Hot Date is, perhaps, the greatest dog romance simulator I’ve experienced since that time I was drunk and let my dog eat my leftover spaghetti but then I changed my mind and I ate it. The game sees its players speed date with dogs who will converse with you about the minutea of everyday existence; From modern Simpsons episodes to Pokemon.

Given the fact you’re wining and dining a pug, there’s a pretty high likelihood you’ll be flagged by Neighborhood Watch for playing it. But truly that just makes this a game of THRILLING DANGER! Click here to date a dog. It’s pay-what-you-like.

“Dim the lights. Light candles. A romantic evening awaits. An evening of speed dating,” promises developer George Batch on a website strewn with pictures of saucy dogs. “Use the arrow keys to pick a question. Press enter to ask it. If things aren’t working out, try a different quality setting. Have a romantic evening.”

1. Kefren says:

The romantic spaghetti dinner with the dog made me laugh. Reminds me of when the dog next door breaks through the hedge to say hello so I give her a fuss and she tries to lick my mouth. Always have to be on your guard.

2. Carlos Danger says:

I have a feeling that the people that will most likely enjoy this game are the ones who find that it brings back a lot of old memories.

Aerothorn says:

So good.

Does the date night ever end or does it endlessly cycle dogs?

4. Jackablade says:

Is it all pugs? Maybe I’m being prejudiced, but I’d kinda rather be dating someone who was a little less inbred.

5. LionsPhil says:

Nnnnnope. Not really getting it, beyond as a delivery vehicle for sassy dialogue.

And there’s so much Joss Wheadon around at the moment I’m not short on that.

• cpt_freakout says:

Didn’t get it either – it was very, very boring… it wasn’t surreal enough so the humor fell flat, I think.

6. John O says:

Killed maybe half an hour with it. T’was fun.

7. 0positivo says:

If it’s not got amazing writing, more endings than you can ever think of, an incredibly dark backstory that finally gets revealed in the grand-finale “full” ending and the ability to make you cry over what are essentially pixel animals, then it’s not really like Hatoful Boyfriend