Bugs Get Ploughed: The Witcher 3 XP Fix Due Next Week

Fellow denizens of The Witcher 3: Wild Hunt [official site] will have to wait around a few more days to see a fix arrive for a bug that’s reared its ugly head.

According to a forum post, the team at CD Projekt RED have pinpointed an issue that apparently is keeping players from getting rewarded XP when they finish certain quests that are six or more levels below them. So the studio are now looking into retroactively rewarding players the XP they should been hoovering up, according to the studio’s community lead Marcin Momot. However, it’s important to note, Momot isn’t making any promises just yet.

“One more thing regarding this issue,” says Momot. “It doesn’t affect every quest but only some of them. That’s how we know the experience loss is not that big in total numbers.

“It will be fixed however. We are also looking into the possibility of gaining the missing XP retro-actively by the players. Can’t promise anything here though.”

A patch will be issued out to PC this Monday.

1. Kal says:

Bit off the mark here RPS – quests that are 6 levels or more under the player are intended to not give XP, there is a UI element to indicate it will happen (quests “grey out”). That’s not a bug, and the first post you’ve linked to actually says exactly that although the writer has phrased it a bit awkwardly, “Quests that are 6 levels (or more) lower than yours are not granting experience. Anything else should reward you with exp, we are looking into the issue.” The bug here is that some quests that are within the level range to grant XP are in some cases not granting XP.

• Kal says:

In fact if you go back to page 1 of that thread, the same developer has stated it more clearly:

“You do remember that doing a quest that’s 5+ levels lower than you (they gray ones) grants no exp, right?”

• Steve Catens says:

Yet another sign of a lazy “open world” game. Sure, we’ll give you the illusion of openess, but if you don’t complete the content in the order you should, you won’t get any benefit.

• vahnn says:

Eh?

• vahnn says:

The other options are 1) Every enemy is scaled to your level so your stats are about equal. Sounds great but results in stale gameplay where you never truly get a sense of increasing in ability or power, since every enemy can kill you and you them just as quickly as previous levels. Or 2) A system with no experience so all content is achievable from the starting state. I don’t think I have to say why that’s a rather undesirable option in a game like this.

The system ceasing to reward xp for quests a significant amount lower than your current level is alright by me. “xp” in these games is an abstraction of your character encountering new situations, overcoming them, and learning from them as a result. When you’re so far advanced in ability that you can go to a previous area and kill multiple enemies with a single swing and walk out with the objective unscathed, you’re not quite overcoming a challenge. And I haven’t tested it, but I’m sure many quests of a much higher level (red quests) can be beaten from very low levels. Exceptions would be enemies that regenerate hit points at fixed rates, enemies with unavoidable area of effect attacks, enemies/objectives in locations with environmental hazards that you have not yet found the means to bypass, etc.

The game is anything but lazy. I’ve played many open world games, and they tend to bore me in less than 30 hours, and once beaten, I rarely revisit them. Witcher 3 is done better than any other game in the genre that I’ve played before. It has its flaws, but being developed by lazy devs is NOT one of them.

• vahnn says:

As an example: Remember going to the grocery store as a kid? It was a huge building full of mazes, strangers, and environmental hazards. How your mom/dad/guardian was able to navigate this hectic nightmare and find the things they need was just puzzling. Then, a little older, mom sends you into the store to buy some salt, or a bottle of milk. You’re able to find your way eventually, but it’s still a rather daunting task. You may even need help from a store clerk to find what you need. It’s all really quite an experience.

And now you’re an adult. Going to the store to is boooorriiiiiiiing. Walk in, go right to the things you need, get out. Hardly any thought required. Not learning anything new.

Granted we’re talking about swinging a sword and lopping limbs from beasts and bandits and blowing things up with magic spells, but you see my point?

• Steve Catens says:

Yeah, sorry, those aren’t the only two options.They’re just some of the only options you’ve seen lately. People like to bash the old school RPG systems, but this was a problem they anticipated and solved 40 years ago. Every encounter has an Xp value, which gives you the freedom to solve it through combat or any other means you can, and you are awarded that value upon completion. Some awards may not be worth very much to a high level character that requires increasing amounts of XP to gain a reward, but they are still worth something, and can still push a character in the right situation over the edge to a new reward.

There is a significant difference in player perception between doing something that gives a small reward, and something that gives no rewardl, as to whether it is worth doing at all. In a true open world, you of course have the problem of players running into content that is too far over their heads, which establishes a sort of rail system in itself, but it doesn’t discount the player’s potential for finding a creative way to deal with that content in a single player game, far earlier than he might have otherwise been able to. The best rpgs allow you to do this–cleverly push farther than your current ability would allow, without any content scaling at all. The Witcher 3 doesn’t. There may be no scaling, but there’s little exhilaration either. It’s carefully parceled content, not much different than the first two games.

But mostly the “open world” in the The Witcher 3 is lazy, because I keep running into the *actual* end of the world, which invokes a fast travel (ugh) menu, every few minutes. It seems to never be farther away that a minute’s walk in any direction from a quest objective. Say what you will about Skyrim, which is another dreadful game people insist on billing as an RPG, but it at least spared me running smack dab into the end of the world with such frequency. The illusion was much better, and at least I could play with a character of my own design, rather than GruffVoice McFighterMage.

doxasticpirate says:

Seem to have reached the end of the threadability of this, but Steve: from your comment about the “open worldedness” and sudden transition to fast travel menu, it sounds like you haven’t left the tutorial zone yet. Hang on for a little bit, and you’ll find yourself in Velen, which is definitely big enough to feel open worldy. Still no Skyrim, but nothing like you’ve described….

• Radthor Dax says:

@Steve Catens It’s a story about a Witcher named Geralt, not a story about Dingbat McTwizzlepants or whatever character you fancy portraying. You do not play an empty vessel. You play a developed character, with a lengthy and storied history.

• Dread Quixadhal says:

Actually, Guild Wars 2 did this rather nicely. In that game, you are scaled DOWN to fight lower level content, but you are not scaled UP. So, you retain the danger factor of wandering into areas that are too high level for you, and thus offer the challenge of trying to do things in “hard mode”, but still give people a chance to play through the lower level content they skipped over (for whatever reason).

• jrodman says:

40 years ago, there were no computer RPGs at all, and pen & paper RPGs gave rewards only for acquiring treasure.

The earliest computer RPGs only gave rewards for killing.

It wasn’t until around 15 years after that where we got to encounter-experience on the tabletop, but it took even longer for similar concepts to arrive on the computer.

That said, encounter-based experience is what this game has. It just has a steeper, MMO-influenced progression curve.

• ArSo says:

MMO influenced or maybe rather the amount of content influenced

• aerozol says:

The Witcher isn’t an “open world” game. The Witcher 3 is very “open world” FOR a Witcher game, but it’s not trying to be Skyrim.

• GepardenK says:

Nope. It’s trying to be Skyrim. The game has the exact same open world setup, just a bit larger and packed with more content. It’s not trying to be Skyrim when it comes to character creation etc, but world wise it’s very similar

• thinkforaminute says:

It takes a while to level up in W3. If you haven’t completed the quest within five levels, you probably had no intention of doing so.

• jrodman says:

What if you intend to do them all?

• GepardenK says:

You can do that, you just don’t get any xp for it (still get other rewards ofcourse). This is a non issue. You will not see this as a problem hven playing the game

• jrodman says:

I wasnt implying it was an issue. I was:

1 – Making an honest inquiry as someone who likely will play this game someday.
            2 – Falsifying the claim I responded to.

• GepardenK says:

Fair enough. You can do them all. Although some are mutualy exclusive, others can become unavalible if events in the world make them redundant and some are “opportunity” quests that will fail if you don’t do them right away.

• GepardenK says:

Progressing to fast in the main storyline will kill off a few quests

2. Izay says:

Actually, there is a forum post made my one of the devs saying that 1.05 was due Wednesday or something so they decided to hold the XP hotfix until then. This was made after the announcement you quoted.

3. nofare says:

Another confirmation that it’s better to resist the marketing-heightened urge to not-fall-behind-the-current-zeitgeist and not play (or buy, if you really want to push it) these games as soon as they’re released.

Unless the game is truly bad or poorly marketed, most release-week reviews tend to be too positive and celebratory. Give it a few months and you start seeing, tucked in usually unrelated articles, a mention or two noting that, in end, Game A failed for being too long-winded, or shallow, or poorly written, etc. Skyrim was really a champ for a lot or reviewers, and in the end turned out to be another shallow, embarrassingly written game.

Those complex products invariably contain bugs (some more than others), and it can take time before they run smoothly without undermining the player’s experience. The latter versions of the same games also tend to get upgrades, in graphics or content, usually without making the game more expensive. Finally, speaking of price, the games become much (much!) cheaper once some time, and not that much really, has passed. Case in point, what’s happening with Witcher 3, and what happened with Witcher 2, and what’s happening with Wasterland 2, and probably will be happening with Pillars, etc.

Plenty of slightly older (by a few months) games to enjoy in the mean time.

• gunny1993 says:

Yeah, but them I’d have to get all my friends to do the same thing otherwise I’d be months behind them, and playing through games and talking about great quests is 8/10ths of the fun of RPGs. Easily worth a few minor bugs.

• welverin says:

I think your comment on the tone of reviews (and general reaction) to highly praised games not a simple case of people being too positive, but has as much, if not more, to do with early adopters being more inclined to like the game and the more negative reactions that come later are not due to anyone turning on it, but the people less inclined to like it finally giving it a chance and there opinions are naturally more negative than those from the people who played it at release.

Case in point Skyrim, while I won’t argue with your criticism, I liked the game a lot, and your points are completely irrelevant as to why.

• aircool says:

There’s a lot of stuff that needs fixing, and £50 from Steam was a lot of money. I like and hate this game in equal measure. I doubt if the horrendous control system will ever be fixed, and yes, you do sort of get used to it, but it’s constantly fighting you. It’s difficult to get engrossed in the good aspects of the game when the controls piss you off every couple of minutes.

By far the worst example is, after a cutscene, you character won’t respond to input for a few seconds. In those few seconds, the bad guy get a few free swings and takes off half your health. Then, as well as fighting the monster, you’re fighting the controls, camera and terrain.

Instead of becoming absorbed in the game, you spend far too much time shouting at your screen, telling Geralt to ‘fucking move you tw… of f-fucks sake, don’t hit him. Parry godamnit, fucking par.. oh that’s fucking great, I can’t fucking jump in combat and I’m stuck behind a fucking brick on the floor. Stupid, ass, motherfucking backwards shite controller. Ahh Piss… now I’ve got to go through that whole fucking five minute cutscene again.

• gunny1993 says:

Never come across that Cut scene thing, you playing on a controller? Couldn’t be some form of input lag could it?

• Sutoi says:

This is not the case with this game. I can say without hesitation that this is the best RPG I have played, and I have ran into almost no bugs or issues besides a couple silly rare things that are usually just funny. One of the most smooth, impressive launches in recent memory. If you’re not playing it because you think it’s some underdeveloped, bug ridden disaster, you are missing out.

• Bweahns says:

I bought a new video card months ago just so I could max this game out, but I have been totally resisting buying it because I know that every game that gets released these days is always riddled with bugs and annoyance for a few months. One annoying bug I notice with every new game that comes out is that you can’t bind certain keys, it happens without fail.
      I’m planning to pick the Witcher 3 up in another couple of months. The Wticher 2 was one of my favourite games from the past 10 years.

• gunny1993 says:

Its really pretty damn stable, a couple of minor visual bugs and this XP one which doesn’t affect everyone (still getting xp here), some issues with crashing when alt tabbing but rarley. Other than that I cant recall any real bugs, certainly not any gamebreaking quest screwing ones (but then again, there’s a fuck tonne of quests)

Also if you were planning to not buy this game on release why on earth did you buy a new GPU for this game months ago? SHould have waited to see what the market would do when AMD released their next lot.

• Zenicetus says:

After this next patch comes out with the XP fix, I would call the game stable enough for most people to enjoy.

It feels very stable now on my system, at any rate. The few lockups I’ve had, have been with Alt-Tabbing to the desktop after the game has been running for a few hours. And I’m a real abuser of Alt-Tab with games that support it.

Most of the other things people are complaining about, like the controls, the inventory system etc. I wouldn’t expect to be changed any time soon. At least not by CDPR, since these are apparently “working as intended,” although mods may eventually address some of the inventory sorting issues.

• nearly says:

You can actually get it pretty cheaply from key resellers since the GPU promo flooded the market heavily. That’s the only reason I picked it up so early rather than waiting like the previous two titles (or really any new release). It’s already below what I expect is the starting point for sales, unless you’re buying it from a proper retailer who will have these prices in a few months.

4. soopytwist says:

I’d still like them to add FOV settings. Although Witcher 2 never got one so I’m not exactly filled with confidence. Yes, there’s a Cheat Engine table for that but it can make the game unstable – which for a game prone to crashing anyway is probably not the best idea. A Flawless Widescreen profile would function in pretty much the same way too. That leaves modding. Witcher 2 got a FOV mod eventually (or two), although not particularly functional.

I had to send Witcher 3 back to Amazon for a refund in the absence of a realistic workaround to the default 60 degree Field Of View. I found the game unplayable – not that it gave me motion sickness but it did give me eye strain and I felt generally uncomfortable. I figured holding on to the game until such a solution is available was pointless, so it had to go.

Battlefield 4 had to go for exactly the same reason. As did Watch Dogs for unrelated reasons. GTA V for not even installing and now Witcher 3. That’s left PC gaming pretty desolate for me to the point where I have actively contemplated retiring from gaming altogether. Well I will be 40 next year – it’s about time I grew up.

• overtoe says:

Is FOV a personal preference? Or does it genuinely make you uncomfortable every time it’s set low?

This comment made me kind of sad and I really sympathize with it but for different reasons. Gaming is in the toilet right now. People are more obsessed with political correctness than GREAT writing and story telling for men, women, black people, whoever. Just take the usual shallow horse crap, reskin the protagonist as a woman and voila! A “great” 2015 game. All personality was removed from Lara Croft in order to make her less “offensive”. If Lara Croft is offensive then why isn’t James Bond offensive? She’s a female James Bond/Indiana Jones. (Not to say it’s that shallow but that’s the closest I can come to describing her.)

The Witcher 3 is the first game (well Mario Kart 8 and Ground Zeroes) I’ve genuinely enjoyed for a VERY long time since maybe The Last Of Us, before that I don’t remember many GREAT games. The writing is absolutely incredible, it explores subjects like domestic abuse on a DEEP, DEEP level. It even explores the idea that women used to be considered less skilled than men. It doesn’t do it in a patronizing or demonizing way either. It does it in a genuinely adult, mature, human and very deep way. So, I go online to talk about it with fellow fans and what do I see? THE WITCHER 3 IS SEXIST! It’s just boring. The community is a mess, games are a mess of pre-order now! and zero story, repeated mechanics. Patronizing mechanics. (Dragon Age Inquisition had 5 or 6 ways of knowing what your current quest was at any time and one of them was on screen at ALL times and couldn’t be switched off. When I reach a final boss I shouldn’t see things like “press square to attack”. Zero faith in gamers. Either that or games are now catered completely to non-gamers.)

Gameplay hasn’t changed much since the start of PS3/end of PS2. Metal Gear Solid 3 and Final Fantasy 12 could be reskinned with a modern engine and they could be PS4 games. People just focus in the wrong areas for reasons I won’t go into here. (Surprise: it starts with “more” and ends with “money” along with ego.)

5. gself44 says:

as Micheal explained I am in shock that a single mom able to profit $9957 in 1 month on the internet .

read review……. http://www.Profit-Review.com

6. Jack Straws says:

I never played any of the Witcher games, but I have to ask, since this picture popped up twice in articles recently: what is that green thing we’re looking at? The witchery equivalent of Harold from Fallout? A plant that doesn’t know it’s not human? A magical tree-hugger’s true ambition? I need to know.

• gunny1993 says:

That sir, Is some form of Wraith, they form when Women die through murder or suicide after being jilted/killed by their lover etc etc

I think the flowers on that one indicate some form of wedding regalia

• Thurgret says:

More specific than that, and not necessarily related to a lover:

“These are noonwraiths – the spirits of young women and girls who died violent deaths right before their weddings.”

7. mpk says:

You mean this didn’t run on XP from the get go? Fucks sake CDP, way to alienate the completely out of date PC gamer.

• Awesomeclaw says:

Now that current gen consoles are running a 64 bit architecture (and have memory capacity to match), expect to see a lot more games not supporting XP.

8. Ali_G_Boy says:

Just one thing, will the next patch for consoles fix door glitches on certain quests? like locking you in or out that sort of thing, cheers.

9. montorsi says:

The fix has been repackaged and is now labelled “free DLC”. What wonderful people!!

10. racccoon says:

The only bug I come across is the one when in a fighting competition in the city.
    It kicks in as you start & your avatar becomes the scarecrow figure from when the 3d model was created it, and the head moves inside the statue alongside all its over movements.
    This can be easy fixed by finishing the fight in the funnyville style & saving after you’ve won.
    Once over this you can then refresh it all back to normal by restarting the game.
    Overall this one problem I had It is more than a BRILLIANT GAME!

11. thebigJ_A says:

You should probably have fixed the glaring error by now, RPS. It’s misinformation that’s still spreading.

The bug is that for some people, after a certain point in the game, quests that should reward xp don’t anymore.

• Nethlem says:

“That’s not at all what the XP bug is, or what they’re fixing. “keeping players from getting rewarded XP when they finish certain quests that are six or more levels below them” is INTENDED and working correctly.”

On the other hand people owning the “official strategy guide” claim that it’s saying the exact opposite: Grey quests are supposed to give only minimized exp rewards.

Which imho would also be way smarter game design. The game already feels too punishing/grindy on the leveling, due to some quests/actions barely yielding any exp or none at all, while story quests (involving way less effort) end up paying out surprisingly well.