BioWare Not Finished With Dragon Age – Inquisition Story

Good news for all of you clambering for inspiration to write your Inquisitor/dragon slash fiction romance. Dragon Age creative director Mike Laidlaw has confirmed the studio have more on the cards for the Dragon Age: Inquisition [official site] narrative.

“The past three days have been filled with that weird intensity that makes game dev kind of addictive. It’s a rush when things come together,” wrote Laidlaw. The studio’s first chunk of singleplayer DLC story was released in March, something called ‘Jaws of Hakkon’ which tells the story of an old god and an ice dragon. You can read about that with this kindly placed link.

But, as Laidlaw continues, “We’re not quite done with story content for [Dragon Age: Inquisition] just yet.” What form this will actually take is still a bit of a head scratcher. According to the developer, you shouldn’t hold your breath for the Hero of Ferelden – the player-controlled protagonist of Dragon Age: Origins – to make an appearance in NPC form.

1. Wulfram says:

They’ve got a DLC coming, not really sure that suggests anything more.

• Rizlar says:

Yeeeeah, the idea that they would revisit the game’s story is appealing since it falls completely flat at the end. But this just sounds like more absolutely expected DLC.

• welverin says:

I wonder if it will deal with the epilogue scene, or if the resolution of that will be saved for a sequel.

• Silith321 says:

They have dropped a few hints here and there, like that they “heard loud and clear that a lot of people want to know more about a certain scene” or something to that effect, so I’m pretty sure there’s a story DLC about that coming.

• Rizlar says:

That could be cool, though really they would need to revamp all the main story stuff after the Grey Warden and Orlais segments.

This coming from someone who really liked the original ME3 ending and thought the fanservice additions were a travesty. I don’t like the idea of them just adding fluff to the DA:I ending that explicitly spells out a bunch of things better left unsaid and implied.

Now it sounds like I’m just being a fussy arsehole, I really did like DA:I as a whole but it feels like they were forced to rush out the game with a lot of the ending unfinished. Crowbarring in clumsy exposition wouldn’t really help with that and would probably ruin that scene, which is one of the few good bits.

• MadMinstrel says:

Yep, i have to agree it does fall flat.. I bought Jaws of Hakkon before finishing the game, back when I was still hoping it would get better later. That was a mistake. I /accidentally/ finished the game before reaching the level requirement for Jaws (seriously, the main story was waaaaay too short, I never thought it would end so early). Then, seeing how the ending was so crappy, I’ve felt no desire whatsoever to go back and do more repetitive, badly written MMO quests. So I never even touched Jaws. Fool me once, shame on you, Bioware, fool me twice, shame on me. So, no more DLC purchases.

2. BlackeyeVuk says:

Like I care, its a dull story anyway. Im playing Front Mission 3 for pity sake. You can’t create interesting lore even if it hits you between the eye. Just like Wasteland 2.

Why we can’t get a pc game with lore that expands like Mass Effect for example or Elder Scrolls.
    That came out wrong. Dragon Age have lore pace problems to me. I simply do not bother to learn.

• airmikee says:

“Like I care”

Why did you read the story and then comment upon it if you don’t care? Because reading about something and then commenting upon it are evidence of caring.

• Hensler says:

Wut?

3. Borodin says:

How does one clamber for inspiration? It’s something I haven’t tried.

And is “Inquisitor/dragon slash fiction romance” different from “Inquisitor slash dragon / fiction romance”? It’s getting too complicated without even introducing backslashes!

• asadlittlepotato says:

You may want to google the words “slash fiction”.

• airmikee says:

define: clamber
      verb – climb, move, or get in or out of something in an awkward and laborious way, typically using both hands and feet:
      noun – an awkward and laborious climb or movement:

If you can’t see how that word fits into the sentence, you need to question your own use of the language, not the use of it by others.

• Finnien says:

Or maybe the writer intended to say ‘Clamor’, a group of people shouting loudly and insistently, and just kinda missed by a bit. I’d guess that it makes a little more sense that people would be shouting loudly and insistently for DLC, rather than climbing awkwardly for it.

• TillEulenspiegel says:

It’s really not used like that in practice, though, and it doesn’t quite fit. Just google “clambering for”.

• Bayesian says:

In fairness, Inquisitor/Dragon fanfic would probably involve a fair bit of clambering…

4. McPartyson says:

Playing the Witcher 3 right now…it just blows away the Inquisition’s narrative. And it should because I read that Bioware heavily “borrowed” the story off all of the Witcher books to write the Dragon Age games. The whole mage/conclave theme throught Dragon Age, it’s all from the Witcher. Anyways, both great games, good time to be a gamer.

• anHorse says:

My problem with DA:I wasn’t even the damp writing, delivered to the player in spurts after they come home from a map.

It was the gameplay, specifically the sub kingdoms of amalur combat. Whole thing was so bereft of any impact that it killed my interest; reminded me of the worst kind of mmo combat. I don’t mind the games moving away from the strategic focus of Origins but you have to give us something in exchange.

And yeah Witcher 3 blows it away in every category but the writing’s especially telling. It puts Bioware to shame, noticeably in terms of relationships where Bioware are still stuck on the praise then shag system

• Not Marvelous says:

Is the writing in The Witcher 3 that good, though? I found the writing in 2 OK but the story lacking in focus and at times borderline incomprehensible (like the beginning of Chapter 2 with the elf guy). I hear the story in 3 is better, but I will be waiting to check it until I get a new PC.

DA:I, on the other hand, was a rather pleasant surprise. Of course it’s the same meaningless fantasy fare, devoid of any mythological / human significance, but the manner in which the story was told in the first half was excellent. The feeling of desperation and hope side by side after a cataclysmic event was definitely there, the dangers, the players, etc. very sharply drawn. The second half lost steam completely and the villain ended up being Ultron but hey, I got more than I expected from Bioware. And on the plus side, it looked pretty AND I could run it!

• king0zymandias says:

I had similar opinions about the writing in Witcher 2 as well. But damn, they really upped their game considerably this time. There are some wonderfully realized characters and the story is captivating and emotional.

• Zenicetus says:

The writing in Witcher 3 is much better than the 2nd one. Just about every “minor” side quest has an interesting story to tell, and the characters are all believable in the context of the world. The artwork is stunning, but it’s really the writing and quest design that’s going to make it a classic in this genre.

I don’t think I can ever go back to my half-finished savegame of DA:I. If I was going to finish it, I should have done it before playing Witcher 3. I don’t feel that I wasted my money, because the early parts of the game were okay. And it was interesting to see what Bioware’s idea of a more open game world would be, after the criticisms leveled at DA2. But it just got to be a boring grind with uninteresting tick-the-box quests, and I didn’t care about any of the party characters. I doubt any new DLC could tempt me back.

• Noam Beefheart says:

I don’t know that they lifted the Witcher’s story, as there are fantasy worlds that have comparable mage/enclave storylines, such as Dragonlance so it’s not exactly a unque idea. I will say that the Witcher’s world is more believable because of the whole dark, gritty atmosphere, rather than DA’s “the hero will save the day” concept.

• brgillespie says:

The best example would be the similarity of the Witchers and Grey Wardens.

In the Witcher universe, orphaned boys are brought into various Witcher schools, trained, then fed alchemical shit in the Trial of the Grasses. Most die painfully, some survive and are granted physical abilities beyond normal humans.

In the Dragon Age universe, various social rejects are brought into various Grey Warden orders/societies/groups, trained somewhat, then fed darkspawn blood in a ritual that I cannot recall the name of now. Most die painfully, some survive and are granted physical abilities beyond normal humans.

Other similarities exist, which as you point out can be attributed to fantasy idea “cross-bleeding”.

The universes are handled differently. I view Dragon Age as the American “CW” network attempt, while the Witcher series is the American “HBO” network attempt.

• McPartyson says:

I like and agree with everything you say.

• Jenks says:

You can change a few words in your Witcher description and that’s the backstory of Spartans in Halo.

link to halo.wikia.com

• Ieolus says:

Weird, I always thought the Wardens were comparable to the Night’s Watch in ASOIAF myself. Never thought to compare them to the Witchers. Come to think of it, they are a kind of meld between both.

• RagePoon says:

First of all, I love The Witcher story more than the Dragon Age lore. But I appreciate both.

But wait what? Where did you get your source from because it doesn’t sound right at all. The themes of Dragon Age are NOTHING like The Witcher and makes me question if you’ve even read any of the books at all. The Witcher centers around Geralt and his conflict with his neutral (grey) teachings and nature.
      Dragon Age however is a world where religion rules and has caused all these bad affects to the world, ie. The Blight.

Lastly I think what you are doing is bad for the already dying genre of RPG’s, spreading false information and making assumptions of two fantasy stories. We NEED to encourage more companies to make solid RPG’s. Think about the frequency of good single player RPG’s… We don’t get many and the major companies that are making them are for some reason turning to pretty much dead MMO scene ie. Bethesda and Bioware.

5. pilouuuu says:

Oh, just let it die, Bioware! We have The Witcher 3 now…

6. jack4cc says:

After playing Witcher I have to ask: What story?

• montorsi says:

Yah, the Witcher 3 gave me brain cancer, too. We’ll get through this together.

• TacticalNuclearPenguin says:

Yeah, seriously, i tried to get into it but i simply had to go back to Borderlands: The Pre Sequel. At least the latter has a story!

7. Not Marvelous says:

Don’t know where to ask so I’ll do it here – what’s going on with Serpent in the Staglands? It’s out, is someone at RPS going to play / write about it?

The demo looks nifty, I’m thinking about buying it but there seems to be *zero* reviews or even commentary, and the developers are patching it daily, so it’s kinda suspicious. But hey, at least they’re working on it.

• Hedgeclipper says:

I’m curious too but if the devs are still working on it maybe its worth giving them some more time before reviewing?

• PostieDoc says:

If you go to the game on the gog.com store, there are a load of player reviews there and they are very positive.
      Read through them and you will get a good idea of if the game is for you or not.

8. Orija says:

Maybe if they’d released this before witcher 3.

9. Scytale says:

They may not be finished but I am!

I don’t feel particularly inclined to go back to a game I have finished just to get the extra few hours … given I have already finished it.

10. Biaxident says:

With the release of Witcher 3, who really gives a shit about this game any more?