Chaos Reborn Adds Multiplayer Throwback Mode

Remember Chaos Reborn [official site]? That turn-based wizard-on-wizard combat game from X-Com co-creator Julian Gollop? Successfully Kickstarter-funded last year, it’s just now got itself a major hit of multiplayer in the form of a new “Classic Chaos” mode.

Which by any other name is essentially Chaos Reborn for fans of minimalism. Here’s how it works: Each player controls a wizard outfitted with a standard staff and gear, along with a random grab-bag of spells. In anticipation of the mode’s release, the team has introduced a separate league competition specific to Classic Chaos players.

Gollop’s team has also introduced a couple of new battle environments: Ruins, which is being described as “the shattered remnants of civilizations from the old world,” where great magical knowledge is guarded by powerful Wizard Lords; and a place called Citadel, which they’re describing as a Wizard Lord-governed fortress.

Single-player gameplay, which was introduced in a very limited form via “versus-AI” mode added late last year, will be expanded considerably.

“We have also been hard at work implementing the single player realm exploration mode,” reads the team’s latest update from Kickstarter. “An initial version of this will be released in June, and will also feature a co-op mode allowing you to recruit an ally for any battle.” So in about a month’s time you can also expect to find a singleplayer “realm exploration mode” revealed.

Chaos Reborn is currently available on Steam via Early Access.

1. padger says:

Any RPSers playing this? I fancy a go.

• Jim Reaper says:

Yep. Backed the kickstarter & have been playing since. Severs are a bit quiet, but then it is early access, so the more the merrier!

• elbandito says:

I’ve been playing it too. It’s great. The return of this “classic” chaos mode is most welcomed as I’m not a huge fan of the current implementation of the “RPG mode” (although it is constantly evolving).

The community seems really friendly too.

• 88GJS88 says:

I was absolutely hooked – up until my laptop crashed and burned, I had a full queue of async matches and played at least a few live games every week. First game I’m reinstalling once I can afford to splash out on a new PC.

• korfel says:

Not sure what game you’re into, but if you like TBS and can accept an element of luck being involved, then I’d definitely recommend it. If you end up liking the game, you will most likely get a tone of replay value out of it, with 3 PvP mode multiplayer will offer mutliple options and varied experience, singleplayer and co-op with some random generation and user made realms are also likely to offer many hours of fun.

2. Donut says:

Yes, I’ve been playing it on and off for a few months. It’s good fun and multiplayer matches don’t tend to take too long and are nicely balanced (so far!).