Start Again: Windows 10 Coming On July 29th

I WILL GLADLY CLICK THERE TO 'START'

Windows 10 [official site] looks like one of the good versions of Windows, one you’ll upgrade then stick with for years as Microsoft add guff to later versions that you couldn’t possibly want – joining the likes of Windows 98 SE, 2000, XP, and 7. It seems to mostly do good things, promising faster boot times and the return of the Start menu, and at worst things I’m different to, like Siri-esque voice-controlled computer friend Cortana and some Xbox One guff. And it’ll be free to upgrade to from Windows 7 or 8.1.

This morning Microsoft announced Windows 10’s release date: July 29th.

On the games side of things, the launch of Windows 10 will bring the launch of DirectX 12, which looks like it’ll be able to boost game performance by reducing driver overhead. It’ll bring a touch of Xbox integration, though that sounds far less awful than ye olde Games for Windows – Live. It’ll bring support for cross-platform play between PC and Xbox One versions of games, like the free-to-play Fable Legends. Folks will also be able to message Xbox chums and all that.

You might have noticed your PC pop up a little notification that you can now “reserve” a free upgrade to Windows 10. If you go ahead with that, your PC will automatically download Windows 10 when it’s available then prompt you to install it when you please. If you’re forgetful, sure, that’s helpful. I am forgetful, and have signed up. You’ll still be able to upgrade for free for a whole year after launch if you don’t want to “reserve”, of course.

Windows 10 does more than I’ve said, of course, but I can hardly reel off every feature of a new operating system. Here’s a video showing some of that:

1. Rao Dao Zao says:

I have heard horrible rumours that it’s free because they’re going to put adverts on lock screens and suchlike. So, er, no pre-ordering for me, I’ll likely wait for a few reviews first.

• Dale Winton says:

That would be sensible but I don’t think that they will go down that road

• IcyBee says:

They are pre-installing Candy(c) Crush(R) Saga(tm), which is (sort of) an advert.

• IcyBee says:

Forgot the link: link to blogs.windows.com

• NightOwl says:

From what I understand Candy Crush Saga is not installed when you install Windows 10. It is unlocked in the store however, available for all who want to try it. My biggest problem with Windows 10 is that it´s a free upgrade. I´m reluctant to do so because somewhere in the future everyone that upgraded for free will get a message that you have to pay to unlock a certain feature. I´m waiting at least a year before switching.

• Radthor Dax says:

@NightOwl So instead of maybe paying to unlock a future feature, you want to definitely pay to unlock all the features most people will have got for free?

• Solidstate89 says:

No they won’t, NightOwl. But that’s pretty adorable that you’re going to wait till after the free upgrade period to upgrade. The rest of us, meanwhile, will be enjoying not having spent a cent on something you’ll spend a hundred dollars or more on.

They want everyone on Windows 10, for the same reason why Apple wants everyone on the same version of iOS. It’s a more consistent market for app developers and it allows MS to sunset legacy features and legacy apps.

• NightOwl says:

I don’t care about the costs, I just don’t want to be confronted with business practises that would be annoying when appied to an operating system. The Home edition will feature forced updates for example (see Windows 10 specs page for details), you won’t be able to not install certain updates. That is the reason i’m waiting a while to see where it goes (not nessicarily a year). I’ve also claimed my free upgrade code but i’m not sure i’m going to install it. Microsofts idea about what is best for Windows does not always agree with what I like. So i’m waiting to see where it goes.

RaveTurned says:

I’d not heard anything about adverts etc, but probably sensible to wait a while anyway in case there are any launch issues that need resolving. I’ve heard mixed things from colleagues running preview builds.

• BobbyDylan says:

I dont think so, but I suspect that they’re going the service route, and you’ll have to pay for yearly updates.

• frymaster says:

Now I’m not saying your wrong, but given that they’ve explicitly said they aren’t doing that, you aren’t accusing MS of putting profits before customers, you’re literally accusing them of deliberate deception. And MS don’t renege on support commitments. They just don’t. The only time I can think of offhand where they changed it was XP – they extended that, though the only reason they needed to was the cock-up they made of the Vista release (there’s basically a complete release cycle missing in between XP and Vista)

• Bremze says:

Win 10 pushes you App store/MSN/Bing web search hits whenever you search locally, no rumors neccessary.

• Solidstate89 says:

Only if you turn that feature on.

But it’s much more fun to be hyperbolic and disingenuous.

• frymaster says:

It would be more accurate to say that while you have the “give me web results when I search” box ticked, you get web results. At that point, I’d hardly call it “searching locally”

basilisk says:

Yeah, and I heard that on Windows 8, it will only be possible to install new software through the Windows Store!

Don’t believe everything that random people claim on the internet.

• Pazguato says:

Indeed

• Rao Dao Zao says:

Except the rumour originated speaking to a man that used to work at Microsoft and still has friends there.

Might still be baseless, sure, but I’m not that daft!

• mattevansc3 says:

Because ex employees never ever have an axe to grind.

• Solidstate89 says:

Especially when said ex-employee was Gabe Newell and wanted to get everybody on-board with Steam on Linux since Steam for Windows would obviously no longer be able to sell any games, as everything would go through the Microsoft App Store.

Boy, funny how that all turned out.

• ScubaMonster says:

It wasn’t baseless, Windows RT only let you install software through the Windows store, but obviously that didn’t translate over to full Win 8. At least they are getting rid of RT. Sucks for people who own the old surface tablet because RT will not get any sort of upgrades.

• LionsPhil says:

In their (very weak) defense, it’s probably easier to have users understand “you can’t install non-store apps” than “you can’t install 99% of stuff from arbitrary downloads, physical media, etc. because it’ll be built for x86 and your machine has an ARM processor instead”.

Even the non-Pro Surface 3 is apparently Wintel now, so killing off RT correlates there.

• ScubaMonster says:

Well, it was true for Windows RT which was a neutered version of 8 for mobile, but yeah, full blown Win 8 let you install anything.

• Solidstate89 says:

Perhaps you should stop listening to baseless, unsubstantiated, and false rumors.

• Pazguato says:

I have to add: and stop spreading those rumors.

• Xzi says:

Well, this isn’t a rumor: for the time being, Windows 10 pushes updates to users as soon as they’re available. AKA there are no “recommended” and “optional” updates, it simply installs everything. In the past, certain Windows updates have had security holes which could be exploited by malicious persons/software. They could just as easily add advertisements through updates as well, and without the option to uninstall, Win10 users would be unable to do anything about it.

Just something to consider. Spread the word and hopefully Microsoft will be pressured to change the way Windows updates work in Win10.

• Solidstate89 says:

They absolutely should not change how it works, because there are too many fucking idiots in the world that never even bother to install a single update from the word Go, and their systems are left vulnerable to exploits that have been patched months, if not years ago.

2. anHorse says:

Was there a Windows 9?

Gonna wait and see what people think of this, not a fan of the ugly icon I had to manually hide either

• mrwonko says:

Two, even: Windows 95 and 98. Badly written software might confuse Windows 9 with them, which is apparently part of the reason they skipped that and went straight from 8 to 10.

• Solidstate89 says:

Actually it’s not, that was a joke that someone did on The Internet that now everyone is spreading as fact.

As far as we know, they’re just doing it for marketing purposes.

• Kvart says:

It’s for sure for marketing purposes.
          I heard speculation that it was because of Mac OSX, so to avoid being number nine when your biggest competitor is number 10. Makes sense in my head.

• LionsPhil says:

I heard it was because Steve Ballmer HATES the number nine after he once lost a bet on a horse.

• Koozer says:

Oh yeah, that makes sense. Like the way they called the second Xbox 360 so it sounded better against the PS3, and called the third the Xbox One because…wait…

• Kvart says:

Cola zero, pepsi one…

• Ansob says:

There wasn’t. Allegedly, it’s because several important finance/insurance industry in-house applications are shoddily coded and thus read “Windows 9” and just assume it’s Windows 95 or 98, so they had to skip Windows 9. No idea if there’s a grain of truth to that, but it’s funny.

Harlander says:

Nope, they’re skipping over it for some reason or other.

I’ve heard somewhere that they plan on stopping doing named versions after 10 as well. So it’ll just be Windows from then on out,

• Neurotic says:

Yes/No, explanation here/lack of explanation here.

• LionsPhil says:

Putting that advertising notification as a recommended update was one of the stupidest bloody things Microsoft have done recently. After all the fighting and pushing to get people to actually install updates, so perhaps we may have an Internet not full of unpatched Windows machines trading worms, they go and put an annoying poison pill amongst them.

You shouldn’t have to carefully vet every update Windows Update offers to clues that it’s actually working against you. This is not a healthy trust relationship with your OS vendor.

• Person of Interest says:

I click through to the KB for every Windows Update, mostly to avoid installing stupid crap like Windows Activation Technologies updates. (But also to be humbled by the number of remote execution exploits uncovered every month.) And I still got tricked into installing this one. (It’s KB3035583.)

Poison pill indeed: I had almost overcome my patch paranoia…

• Scandalon says:

Um…the main impetus* behind getting everyone to migrate to 10 is so that everyone *will* be patched, and protected. (Likely some engineering resources could be less spread out too, if enough people migrated.)

*I’m not saying they won’t try and use that in the future…

• LionsPhil says:

The releases eligible for this upgrade are still receiveing backported security updates, and are planned to for some years yet (Windows 7 exits extended support in 2020).

• DrGonzo says:

Windows doesn’t know it’s called Windows ‘whatever’ it’s version 6. something or other for windows 10 I believe and windows 8 is also version 6. something. That was just posted by someone to see how gullible and idiotic the internet is. The answer was very.

• LionsPhil says:

You’re conveniently ignoring that Java is terrible. (It’s probably not alone in libraries that present Windows versions as strings. People will convert GetVersionEx, and they will do it and use it stupidly.)

• EhexT says:

There was no Windows 9, Microsoft just can’t count. See also:
      Xbox (the first one, aka Xbox 1), Xbox 360 (from 1 to 360, which happens to be exactly where you started), Xbox One (again?)

3. egattocs says:

That’s coming sooner than I expected!

I realise it’s not a game, but is RPS likely to be doing a ‘Wot I Think’ or ‘Impressions’ on the new Windows? As it affects PC gamers in quite a big way, I’d certainly be interested to hear what you guys think when it’s released.

4. HidingCat says:

I’ll be interested in DirectX 12 lives up to the hype.

• BobbyDylan says:

It wont.

Nothing ever does.

• Baines says:

Kung Fury lived up to the hype, so it is at least possible.

But no, DirectX 12 won’t live up to the hype.

The real questions are how long it will take for publishers to even support DirectX 12, and what card can actually use its full capabilities. After all, publishers still release games that rely on DirectX 9.

• Baines says:

And thanks to the lack of a edit function, an extra post:

It might not even matter that much, if publishers try to keep parity with console ports.

Harlander says:

I’m not sure what the Kung Fury of operating systems would be like, but it’s an idea worth exploring further.

• DrGonzo says:

I obviously missed something with Kung Fury. Just repeating things that are things. Referencing stuff, there was nothing funny about it!

• jacobvandy says:

The Witcher 3 requires DX11, so we’re finally seeing games take advantage of the newer APIs after the last generation forcing DX9 to stick around for so long. The neat thing about DX12 is, though, that a lot of current hardware will support it, including the Xbone and PS4, so games will start taking advantage of it right away. GeForce cards from the 400 series onward are DX12 compatible. AMD was not so forward-thinking, however, so you need at least an Rx 200 series Radeon card to be ready.

• jacobvandy says:

I hastily misspoke; PS4 doesn’t use DirectX for obvious reasons, but they are known to be working on upgrades to their proprietary API to respond to the Xbox One having DX12 capabilities soon.

• Asurmen says:

DX12 is supported back to 7000 series. Anything that uses GCN is forwards compatible with DX12.

• Rikard Peterson says:

Well, the way this update is pushed, it seems hopeful that most computers not managed by IT-departments (which shouldn’t be used to play games on anyway) will be updated quickly, so that it will make sense for game developers to target the new OS and the the benefits of the new DirectX without losing too many customers by doing so.

• gunny1993 says:

It could be interesting, but realistically we’ll have to wait for a few years because devs have to change their entire MO for game design and resource models. All the largest gains have been in situations where there’s large amounts of calculations going on concurrently (like the meteor field example), which devs currently steer clear of because shitty core usage doesn’t allow it.

The system has been shown to work incredibly well in simulated environments, now we just gota see if that will translate to real ones. (I mean …. they’re all simulated, but you get me)

5. mrwonko says:

I just wonder if I’ll be able to reinstall it after the upgrade period…

Ninja Dodo says:

Yeah I would like to know how or if that will work. If you upgrade and then you format your PC, can you reinstall Windows 10 from your Windows 7 install disc?

• Solidstate89 says:

Haven’t used Windows 8, have you? You don’t just “reformat” these days. You go under Backup/Restore settings, and hit the Restore to Fresh feature. It wipes your install clean, uninstalls all programs, etc, etc and then boots you to a fresh bootup screen, like you installed a clean OS.

• JS says:

And how is that supposed to work when you install a new, empty hard drive? There is always going to be a need for some way of booting up and making a clean install on a new, empty drive.

• Solidstate89 says:

Just make a backup ISO like you’ve been able to do for like a decade now? It’s how you backup OEM installations when you purchase a laptop. Pop in the DVD (or USB drive if you’ve joined us here in the 21st century) and install from that.

• Zarf says:

You can purchase install media if you want. But, since we’re going the way of the free upgrade here:

There are two ways to do it. 1.) Download a free ISO off the internet (It’s legal) and make a bootable thumb drive using a free tool like UNetBootIn (Or without any extra software if you know how to look that process up). 2.) Use the Windows Media Creation Tool from MS, which essentially does the above, but sometimes doesn’t work on OEM installations.

It’s not super easy, but a reinstall on a blank hard drive is rarely easy.

There’s even a third way to do it if you’re adventurous. Do the fresh reinstall thingy on your old drive, then use CloneZilla to clone that to your new drive. This way gets pretty ridiculous, though, because CloneZilla is byzantine and frightening. Also, it can’t easily clone a large, mostly empty drive to a smaller drive. Once you figure it out, it’s an indispensable tool.

• DrGonzo says:

@zarf, it IS super easy, I don’t know how more easy it could be? The tool automatically whacks the ISO on my usb pen. Then boot to it, and it splats it. Hit install and it does everything for me. The entire process, from downloading the ISO to it being freshly installed is less than an hour (if your internet is half decent) the install is about 20 minutes and requires no clicking once started, just set it up and leave it til it’s done.

• Sic says:

Making the install media is the least of my worries.

Will I get a key? That is my question. This whole thing is completely useless if I don’t get a key.

I currently have two Win7 computers that have old volume keys (outdated), and upgrading makes no sense if I don’t get a new Win10 key for both of them. I really don’t want to upgrade in any case, since it’s my workstation and my file server, but I guess I’ll reserve the copy, since it’s for a “limited time only”. I just hope I can cancel the download, since my server has limited space on the OS drive.

• Valkyr says:

I actually looked into it recently because I was asking myself the same question and found this website: link to dellwindowsreinstallationguide.com (basically Zarf’s method number 2 explained step by step); it’s supposedly for Dell laptops but you could extend it for any Windows 8 installation I think. I’ve never tried it but it seems pretty reliable.

• slight says:

Once foreign code has been run on your computer you pretty much have to accept you’ve given it the keys to the kingdom. Local privilege escalation exploits are ten a penny so if you have malware on you PC then you have to accept that it may have access to everything Windows does. In which case a format and install from clean media is your best bet. Even that’s not a guarantee these days of course what with firmware infections.

Don Reba says:

Unless you are reformatting because boot doesn’t even get to that point.

Bluerps says:

What if I have caught some malware and get so paranoid that nothing but a complete reinstall will convince me that it’s gone?

• Solidstate89 says:

Then you’re paranoid and there’s no convincing you otherwise. It’s the same thing as a nuke and pave, except easier.

• LionsPhil says:

It is categorically not the same thing, because in once case the recovery partition was theoretically written to by the malware, and in the other it’s on a non-writable optical disk (even if in this day and age you downloaded and burnt it from some other, trusted computer).

Bluerps says:

Exactly. It’s nice to have a way to restore the OS that guaranteed to be untouched by malware.

• Solidstate89 says:

It reboots and reinstalls from a restricted recovery environment. I’d love to see an actual example of malware rewriting the recovery environment as opposed to a non-existent theoretical.

Don Reba says:

If the malware got administrator rights, then nothing is restricted.

• Solidstate89 says:

Admin accounts don’t have access to everything like they used to, that was fixed with Vista.

You shouldn’t be running as an Admin account, you should be running as a standard user.

You should also – on top of running as an SUA – you should have UAC turned up to its highest settings. Also, the restricted environment can not simply be accessed through simple windows applications running locally, it has to be from the System.

• JS says:

Yes, this is the critical question that doesn’t seem to have an answer yet. Will we be able to make a Win 10 disc to make a clean install from, or will we still need to use the Win 7 disc? And will this free upgrade only work for a year, and then we need to buy Win 10 anyway, or so we get a Win 10 serial number or something when upgrading?

• tehfish says:

I hope so, with the amount of messing around with hardware i do i won’t be happy unless i have an ISO and a serial key.

I assume we’ll just be able to grab the serial from the upgraded 10 OS and grab an ISO somewhere though.
      Microsoft have been quite good at providing ISO files lately (you can download a Win7 ISO direct if you have a retail CD key) There are utilities that can extract CD keys from a working OS too (google magical jelly bean for one example)

6. Neurotic says:

As a professional freelance editor and proofreader the idea that the new Office suite has been “optimized for touch” fills me with dread. I’ve also heard it’s online only now. Is that right? Maybe they were referring to Office 360, I dunno now.

basilisk says:

So you think they’d just willy-nilly throw away their top-of-their-class applications which they’ve spent decades developing and force everyone to use their pretty neat yet still not even remotely full-featured web apps?

Seriously, the rumours surrounding Microsoft are ridiculous. I know they make very questionable decisions sometimes, but they’re not quite deranged enough to kill what’s their biggest money-maker by far.

• LionsPhil says:

After throwing away the Windows 7 UI? Yes. Apparently that is exactly the kind of thing MS would do.

They shafted Visual Studio pretty hard too, but at least that was mostly aesthetic.

From the tech preview, 10 is still far, far too much like 8 for my liking, and now they’ve crippled control panel too. The replacement start menu isn’t a patch on 7’s so they haven’t even backpedaled properly in areas where they were trying that.

• Solidstate89 says:

You’re conflating Office 365’s subscription method with the Office Software. No, it’s not mandatory.

Lars Westergren says:

I’ve kept to Windows 7, it has served me well, but I guess it is time.

I still want to get a SteamOS box for a HTPC and try streaming games like Batman. If SteamOS comes out of beta before November, I will build my own machine or get an Intel NUC. Otherwise I will try the Steam Link.

• Wowbagger says:

I didn’t know that Batman was a big game streamer, does he have really good home wireless?

• Raoul Duke says:

You can easily use Windows 7 or 8.1 with Kodi running over the top of it and a launcher for Steam in Big Picture mode to get a far more capable HTPC/TV gaming PC than SteamOS will give you.

8. melnificent says:

I remember when windows 8 was released there were issues with opengl. But directx stuff ran fine… going to hold off for a couple of months to see how well it works.

9. John O says:

Cortana watches your phone, your desktop and your web browser! Boy oh boy, the 1984 fans will love this

DelrueOfDetroit says:

And by “fans” I assume you mean the people who have never read 1984 but constantly draw comparisons to it.

10. Wowbagger says:

I still want to know who commissioned weird toupee man for the video.

• Shiloh says:

That’s Joe – he sure loves Windows 10, and hey, OK you guys, enough about productivity already, how’s about some gaming news over here… what you can’t see is the HR consultant with the menacing smile just out of shot… “make it look good Joe, make it look *real* good…”

11. PancakeWizard says:

How long is the free-period for us Windows 7/8 users? Basically, have I got time to wait for a service pack?

Harlander says:

Pretty sure it’s a year

• BobbyDylan says:

iirc, You can take Micro$oft up on their Win10 offer abut keep Win 7. There’s no reason not to grab a free OS when you risk nothing. Use it, or not, at your initiative.

• Iain_1986 says:

Really? Still with this “Micro$oft” shit from over a decade ago? Do you not see how pathetic that looks and pretty much makes so many people just zone out and ignore what you’re saying.

The irony too being that you are in fact commenting about how they are giving something away for free…

• LionsPhil says:

There are no free lunches. I strongly suspect this is motivated by getting people off 7, and onto a platform inexorably tied to Windows Store, so they can take a cut of all that lovely app money.

• montorsi says:

Which is exactly what people said about 8. The Windows Store only exists if you want it to which, for most of us, means that we’ve never poked our head in there since the launch of 8.

• Asurmen says:

Ah, the whole ‘you should aways wait for SP1’ nonsense has reared it’s head. Wondered how long that would take.

Harlander says:

Care to make the case for upgrading immediately?

• Asurmen says:

Care to make the case that you should always wait and then they’re bug ridden messes until a SP comes out? We could, of course, throw annecdotes out (Bought Win 7 shortly after release. No problems) though in the absense of any objective evidence.

It’s fine to be weary of new software. Some people do have lives and jobs that could be a risk if one rare but significant bug appears. Some people are just generally more tolerant of that and don’t mind jumping in, but The Internet is full of people who sprout the SP1 or not at all as if it’s some kind of Golden Rule with Microsoft. It simply isn’t and there’s nothing wrong with adopting it at release.

I fully admit to possibly jumping the gun here at PancakeWizard, but the mention of having time to wait before a SP makes me think they’re one of Those People and as Solidstate89 mentions that idea is well and truly dead.

• montorsi says:

Yes, I’ll be cloning my main drive before installing 10, but install 10 I will. It looks like 8.1 but without the need for StartIsBack, and possibly better game performance at some point in the future.

Honestly, I recently had to install 7 again for a single program that conflicted with 8 (it’s old) and it was funny how much I don’t miss Aero at all. The utilitarian W8 aesthetic appears to have finally won me over.

• PancakeWizard says:

Yes, patience is always a negative trait and Windows never releases with bugs. You idiot.

• Asurmen says:

Ah. Nice personal attack there because I don’t share your point of view. Aside from that, there’s a difference between patience and overreaction to an issue that doesn’t exist in reality, namely that you should avoid MS until SP1.

Please quote me where I said they never release bugs? Pretty sure I didn’t type that. Based on that argument, never ever use a computer, because there will always be bugs.

• PancakeWizard says:

Sometimes personal attacks are warranted. You’re proof of that. I don’t feel the need to talk to you further.

• Asurmen says:

It’s not warranted in a thread about Windows 10, but thanks for explaining yourself as to why waiting all for say, 1.5 years between a release and a SP is a moderate and sensible response , you bigot.

• Ross Angus says:

Who wants a hug? Come on in. It’s OK. And you at the back. Come on.

• Capt. Bumchum McMerryweather says:

Gosh, Pancakewizard’s a bit of a bellend isn’t he?

• Asurmen says:

I will embrace my fellow human.

• Emeraude says:

Come on now, personal attacks are always warranted.

• Emeraude says:

@Asumen

Given the context of the conversation, that’s a verb I’d try to avoid. Unless you’re aiming for veiled threats.

In which case I applaud.

• Solidstate89 says:

There are no Service Packs anymore. Microsoft killed those with Windows 8. Windows 10 will be an incrementally and constantly updated OS. The idea of “versions” and “service packs” has been heavily changed and removed, respectively.

You have 1 year from the release date to upgrade for free, but there will no service packs.

• PancakeWizard says:

No worries, I’ll let the dust settle for a few months before taking the plunge then.

• Blackcompany says:

This mirrors what our IT Team has heard from MS. No more Windows versions. Windows 10 is it and will include updates in the future without changing to a new OS.

• tehfish says:

Wasn’t windows 8.1 essentially Win8 service pack 1?

• Ejia says:

I thought Windows 8.1 was Windows 9.

• Solidstate89 says:

Nope. It added new features, modified the GUI, and hell it even caused incompatibility errors when upgrading from 8 to 8.1 as the CPU minimum requirements were increased.

So no, it was nothing like a Service Pack. Like I said, they’re dead.

12. aircool says:

Colour me cautious.

13. kud13 says:

I’m enjoying my Win 7 that I run in both my gaming desktop and my mostly-for-work/study laptop.

I may try out 10 for my laptop (towards the end if the 1 year I get to upgrade for free), since that thing’s generally kept offline, but I doubt i’ll be going anywhere near my gaming Precious with a new OS untill they stop supporting 7.

14. Delicieuxz says:

That aerial photo wallpaper of trees and water reminds me of Warcraft 2.

15. Amatyr says:

So I was interested as a general update and then that video was all Cortana/Touch/XBox and I’m not interested anymore.

• ADamnYankee says:

I had the same feeling. This video has given me upgrade anxiety. Not enough Windows 7.

16. schlusenbach says:

I am vaguely interested since I see no way around Win10 in 2-3 years from now, because I probably want to play DX12 games then.
    What bothers me is that too many internet services might crawl their way into my OS. I don’t want a local file-search contacting the internet, I don’t want Cortana calling the MS servers for whatever it does, I don’t want an app store integration. And I don’t need touchscreen support.
    I really only want a modern, stable desktop OS that runs fine without calling any web service other than windows update. I hope I can still configure all that ‘integrated internet’ stuff out of windows, if not I will have to start dual-booting linux.

17. ScubaMonster says:

I’m hesitant to upgrade because I’m afraid some old games won’t work (non GOG games, though I heard even some games on GOG have had problems with newer versions of Windows. Whether those got fixed or not, I don’t know). More specifically, I know that Kohan had problems on Win 8. I’d hate to have to dual boot or roll back just to play some older titles that don’t work.

• ScubaMonster says:

And Kohan can’t be fixed with DOS box, it’s a full Windows title. The game ran really slow from what I recall reading, and the only fix I ever read was to use Win 7 or Wine on Linux.

18. Blackcompany says:

MS is telling the company I am contracted to as an IT technician, that Windows 10 is the last Version of Windows. Ever. That from now on updates will be done without changing the OS itself, as per Android and other modern, free Operating Systems. This is what they are telling businesses, at any rate.

Just thought folks might be interested to know this.

19. trjp says:

My copy of Windows 7 just started to bug me about this – I’m happy to take a free upgrade but I want the choice as to when (or even if) I install it – ideally on a new HDD so I can revert etc. etc.

Without knowing that, I’m clicking nothing…

20. fco says:

but I just jumped from XP to 7 last year!

Why the hell…?

• Emeraude says:

Well, why pay for something that did not provide one with any more benefit ? As long as WinXP allowed one to use the hardware one owned, and run the software one needed, why would one poy for a win7 that was only offering to do the same thing ?

• Solidstate89 says:

Because Windows XP is a swiss cheese operating system with a design and security philosophy from 20 years ago and the performance efficiency of a 60’s era Cadillac. It has problems handling more RAM, it has no TRIM for SSDs, it has no memory protections beyond DEP, it has no user permissions beyond ADMIN = ACCESS TO EVERYTHING.

It’s an abundantly awful operating system that shipped without a fucking firewall until SP2 for crying out loud.

• Emeraude says:

Which is all well and good but perfectly perfectly irrelevant in the case I mentioned.

• LionsPhil says:

And yet if you have an XP box it continues to trundle along just fine, whereas reinstalling with a post-Vista version of Windows would cripple it.

Thirteen years and counting. Rage harder.

• Solidstate89 says:

Yes, that’s so amazing that 13 year old hardware running a 13 year old piece of shit operating system continues to run. Way to go. You’re running a turd, you should be so happy and so proud.

• Press X to Gary Busey says:

Anecdote, I have a friend who’s pretty retrogressive with software and he’d probably have no second thought about running Win XP on his monster machine with 16GB RAM (I don’t think it’s even possible to get drivers for newer hardware working though). He’s also the kind of guy who’d define a great weekend as listening to Basshunter in Winamp 2.95 with DC++ running in the background, burning some video CD’s while playing a Blizzard LAN-favourite from before 2003.
        (I may exaggerate a tiny bit) :P

21. CookPassBabtridge says:

Windows 8.1 Full boxed version (genuine)
    No icon. I have a desktop machine, Haswell E with Nvidia graphics.

Anyone else missing the icon?

• tehfish says:

Checked windows update on your PC to see if theres anything to install?

I don’t think it has anything to do with hardware specs though, the notification appeared on my main PC as well as my low-power mini-pc and laptop (both 1.6ghz AMD E-450 APU’s)

22. kud13 says:

Having now watched the video, aside from “DirectX 12” and “distraction-free” (does this mean ad-free?) browser”, I really see nothing that would make me want to leave my Win 7.

I abhor touch interface. My phone is a Blackberry, which is thankfully isolated from the big cloud.

I believe WinAmp is the best way to play music.

I have 0 interest in social gaming.

And that Cortana thing just seems like M$oft having Waay too much info on what I like and my life in general.

23. JohnnyG says:

Interested to know if this upgrade will take any more storage space. I installed Win 7 on a 120GB SSD and it has already bloated to consume most of that drive (approx. 10GB free now). Scared to install Win 10 in case I lose all of my SSD space.

• LionsPhil says:

It’s a point sample, but my Win 10 Tech Preview victim machine is using 56GB of space, and that’s just Windows—it has nothing that wasn’t bundled with it installed, no even a non-MS web browser.

The hunger for disk space is insatiable.

• Scandalon says:

LionsPhil – My sample point freaked me out w/ usage too, turns out some version in the upgrade path treated it like a new version, so I had a 25G \Windows.old\ dir.

Might be worth doing a quick check with your favorite space usage utility (I like TreeSizeFree, be sure to run-as admin, and, likely you know about how WinSxS works)

Also, don’t forget with Win8.1 or higher: “Dism.exe /Online /Cleanup-Image /AnalyzeComponentStore”

• Scandalon says:

Check your system protection allocation, doubly so if you use Avast, there’s some virtualization feature it has that goes crazy with the VSS snapshots.

Then run disk cleanup as an admin user, be sure to check that. And then clear out windows\temp, %temp% and C:\Windows\SoftwareDistribution\Download because Windows/Apps are often terrible about cleaning up after themselves.

edna says:

I’ve been running W10 on my netbook and laptop for a while now. It’s nice. Doesn’t feel like a massive change from Win 7 day to day, though I can’t say that I’m a big fan of the theme (I prefer my blurred transparency and really don’t like the new icon set). It’s all about integrating everything across devices and within Windows, so that using outlook.com email and OneDrive extensively seems to be the way to go if you want to embrace the new environment.

Using your outlook.com password to log in is slightly worrying for me. I prefer complicated passwords for my email, managed via Keepass, but that makes logging in a pain. So a simple password becomes the order of the day which is less secure. Though probably fine in reality. Just a bit paranoid, me.

Not sure I’ll really make use of the enhanced Start menu. It’s unlikely that a Microsoft app for the weather or food recommendations is ever going to beat the millions of options that you get through the internet via a browser. Mine is cut down to the minimum, as I prefer to use ObjectDock to launch my applications.

Having said all of that, the consistent interface is nice, especially as it syncs across devices. And the control panel (Settings) is more pleasant to navigate, as is the task manager. Plus it runs surprisingly well on my old Acer One netbook – much better than Win 7 Starter ever did – though Bodhi Linux is still what I use on the netbook most of the time because it is so much quicker.

Expect I’ll be upgrading once it is released.

• Sic says:

That password story of yours got me worried.

Is there one version of Win10, or several? I have Win7 Enterprise, and Win8 Pro, because I need them. Upgrading to some edition that lacks things is completely out of the question for me. Especially in terms of network options. I need to be able to set up my network the way I want it, and disable home edition crap.

• Press X to Gary Busey says:

It was the same deal with Windows 8, the login can be tied to a Microsoft account if you want to use their stuff seamlessly but you can disable it as far as I know.
        I only use third party services and I have a gmail as login to my Microsoft account and two-step verification – every time I log in on a new machine I need a code sent to my phone so it’s not a super big deal having a password above something strong that I can still remember.
        The security issue with the MS account is even less of a deal if you don’t use their outlook mail on the same account or buy anything in the store (or use paypal if you do).

• Press X to Gary Busey says:

tl;dr As always – don’t put all your eggs in the same basket and it’s fine security-wise. That also applies to KeePass.

25. Scandalon says:

I’m actually fairly positive about the *promise* of Windows 10, but I’ve seen enough gotchas, little and a bit bigger the few times I’ve tested the preview, to be wary of that soon a release date. (Currently I have the latest “fast” release and was just using it to try out Project Spark last night.)

Not that big deal if it’s not ready for prime-time, everyone upgrading will have a full backup image ready to apply if the need it, right?

• Scandalon says:

Also the XBox integration stuff is rather slick: Typing things on my (android) phone (Smartglass App) is much better than using the controller, and otherwise controlling/presenting using the phone or sending things from my desktop is pretty nice.

26. JohnnyPanzer says:

It’s free and it’s bound to happen, so I’ll take it. But man, that video really managed to lower my expectations to well below zero.

I’m a grumpy old man, and I can’t stand the current trend in technology. I don’t want my computer and my phone to co-operate behind my back. I don’t even want them to be on a first name basis. I hate that goddamn mosaic thing that they introduced with windows 8, and the fewer nonsense functions my browser has, the happier I will be. Xbox One streaming? Please, why would I stream games from a low-end playbox to my high-end gaming rig? Corona? The first time my computer asks me “what’s up?”, I will curb stomp it.

The only thing I realy want from my OS, is for it to get off my damn lawn.