Minecraftbut LEGO: LEGO Worlds Hits Steam Early Access

Minecraft but with LEGO” is an idea that must have been raised a hundred thousand times, everywhere from playgrounds to board rooms. It’s finally happened. With remarkably little fanfare, Warner Bros. yesterday both announced and launched LEGO Worlds [official site].

Well, launched onto Steam Early Access. Made by the LEGO game folks at TT Games, it’s a procedurally-generated open-world explore-o-build ’em up with terraforming and rideable creatures and vehicles. Its LEGO worlds do look swish, creating terrain out of squillions of carefully-placed bricks. You know, Minecraftbut with LEGO. It’s pretty barebones at launch, lacking multiplayer.

At the moment, LEGO Worlds has procedural blockworlds to explore, building and terraforming, vehicles and creatures to ride, roaming NPCs, and preset kits to find and unlock. It’s a stripped-down Minecraftbut experience, but what’s there does look polished.

TT Games expect it’ll be in Early Access into 2016 as they add things like multiplayer, more biomes, ways to share your creations online, better terraforming tools with copy/paste, character customisation, and more vehicles, characters, creatures and weapons.

I wonder what approach they’ll take to the ‘problem’ of colossal brickdicks, something that LEGO Universe spent a lot of time and money clamping down on.

LEGO Worlds is £11.99 on Steam Early Access. The price will go up at launch.

1. Gap Gen says:

That video is blocked at my work :(

2. Artist says:

Lego is all about the nipples!

3. Barchester says:

Just bought this, looks rough around the edges but could turn out to be really good.

4. Chaz says:

Wow that look great. Shall have to give this a look.

5. Press X to Gary Busey says:

I’m thinking Minecraft still makes any minecraftbut redunant, even if Lego. And it’s a bit surprising that this is the first big budget (?) Minecraft copy when you’d think there would be a million clones from every publisher by now. They’ve had since 2011 to chase that me-too money. Or did they burn themselves too badly on WoW?

• Nevard says:

It does seem like it might be a little redundant, though maybe the fact that it has terrain deformation rather than only block by block placement, a much smaller tile size, and doesn’t look like ass might carve it a little niche for itself (although it’s still far too late to ever outdo Minecraft).

• GameCat says:

I disagree. From what I’ve seen on trailer, there’s actually simple 3Dbrush-based way to “paint” landscape which is something I’ve always wanted in Minecraft.
      And you can see nice terrain destruction, which at this scale is mostly absent in Minecraft.

You could probably add these two things with mods, but I’m too lazy to update mods every time new version of Minecraft comes out and there’s always fear that your fauvorite mod will not be updated anymore.

• GameCat says:

And don’t forget that LEGO is a Minecraft since 60’s and kids still love these bricks even today.

There is a huge market for proper LEGO building game.

• Press X to Gary Busey says:

Yeah you’re both right about the difference in the handling of terrain. But the core is still very similar and every kid in the developed world has probably been minecrafting for at least a year at this point.

But Lego is the best. When I get kids of my own, that’s the only toy they’ll ever get! :D I had a big box full of the stuff and probably tinkered with it for a year longer than social pre-teen norms allowed. :P
        At least I got to use all that experience to build and program an awesome path-finding (killer) robot with Lego Mindstorm in a mechatronics intro class at university.

• J. Cosmo Cohen says:

My kids have just reached the age for my box-o-LEGO.

• rodan32 says:

My kids have reached the age where all the Legos on the floor make me nuts.

• Gap Gen says:

In Europe we say “the LEGO on the floor makes me nut”

• Martel says:

The day my daughter asked if we could buy Lego for her to play with was a great one. Needless to say we have quite a large collection now.

• jonahcutter says:

My niece recently swapped her Dora the Explorer obsession for a Lego obsession. My sister has never been happier.

6. Crafter says:

Wow, I am not an huge Lego fan, but this looks like Minecraft on steroids.
    It is very exciting to see several titles trying to become the next block building sandbox.

BrickDick moderation as the main cost center sounds a bit insane though :/

7. MrFinnishDude says:

I do love that they kept the classical lego game elements like studs. Now we wait for Lego Island content in this.

• Blackrook says:

But they keep the classic – ‘I’ve just walked on a sharp piece of lego in the dark in the middle of the night’ aspect?
      Are there going to haptic addons which stick sharp nails into your feet to simulate the real feel of lego?

8. Morcane says:

Wow, nice, it’s Another Sandbox Building Game.

9. baozi says:

I never got into building grand structures in Minecraft but liked the light survival aspect, the mining, crafting, and building; so I’d build a rough shelter for the nights, then go explore during the days and build more rough shelters, lay paths and torches, go mining, grow crops, stuff like that, all held together by the day-night cycle and lurking monsters.

I liked the atmosphere of Minecraft very much, and the environmental effects, C418’s music and the sound effects played a large role in that (e.g. door.mp3 at sunrise with chickens clucking).

So after watching the Lego Worlds trailer, I wonder what the game will feel like.

• death_au says:

I’m thinking the same thing. Sure it’s great for building whatever you like, but what about the exploration/survival aspect. It looks like there’s nothing in the way of survival at all. You die, you respawn immediately, like other LEGO games.
      I also like the “collecting materials to build with” aspect, which it looks like this game is missing.
      If the game had a “survival” mode with a more punishing death* and collecting of LEGO pieces from destructing the environment to build with, it would be insta-buy for me. But maybe if that’s what I wanted I should just play Minecraft.

*I’m a fan of dying sends you back to the spawn and you lose all items you were carrying, but the items stick around for you to travel back to and re-collect.

10. AbyssUK says:

Played a little last night, thought I’d get into the process so i can help make it a great game for my kids to play next year. The animations etc are great and there is a lot of standard content already and for an early access release it is indeed very polished. I forsee it being a bit of cash cow when paid for lego packs start coming out, although it looks like it may be aiming to support creations done in the free lego designer tool too (which is very free already of adult content) so a good amount of free content already.

• AbyssUK says:

Just like to add Notch’s response to it all because its brilliant.
      “The Lego Infiniminer clone looks neat!” – @Notch

11. v21v21v21 says:

I found the article to be somewhat lacking in enthusiasm, considering it deals with the biggest single event in gaming history. Video gaming too.

Or is it just “the British way”?

Or, Heaven forbid, some sinister agent of the unholy Playmobil Industrial – Political Cartel?

• Urthman says:

“Biggist single event in gaming history” : development of real-time 3D dong detection?

12. Mischa says:

“All footage was captured in real time”. And then sped up or slowed down as we saw fit?