City Of The Slightly Less Damned: Mordheim Phase 6

Shame on all of you! I just came here to see Honk If You're Horny in peace

While I’m in a Games Workshop mood – which is most of the time, and most of that time is spent agonising that I can’t afford Games Workshop stuff* – let’s have a peek at the new update for Warhammer-themed turn-based strategy-RPG Mordheim: City of the Damned. It’s been somewhere near the top of my Yes I Must Make Time For That Somehow list since release, but as both Adam and Marsh have reported that it’s got its issues I figured – figure like in figurine hahah – I’d wait until it clawed a little further through the Early Access warrens. There’s a new ‘Phase 6’ update out now, which is tickling my Skaven-bothering fancy.

Main things in here are an improved Strategy View in order to better keep tabs on things, not get lost and whatnot, the introduction of consumables including bombs, the option to hire new units for your Warband, ‘graphical tweaks’ and three new maps, two of which are procedurally-generated. Uh, these things all sound pretty essential? Marsh certainly thought so in March, writing that “It’s a disorienting space in which to fight, and the game works to conceal all the critical information from you: the lay of the land, where your units are, where the enemy are, who acts next in the turn order, what innate stats anyone has, what their powers do, what shape they’re in. This information is in the game – it’s just unreasonably hard to find.” Let’s hope the Strategy Map overhaul has reduced the confusion.

Let’s have a look at what this stuff means in practice, in this EXTREMELY SERIOUS video:

EXTREMELY SERIOUS, just like Warhammer really isn’t, at heart.

I’ll take a look and report back as soon as I can, but if you can’t wait for or don’t trust my ‘umble opinion, Mordheim’s a third off on Steam for the next couple of days.

1. ribby says:

Is money basically the only reason why they don’t make a multiplayer version of Warhammer

• MisterFurious says:

Games Workshop is afraid that if there were a digital version of their games, no one would buy the super-expensive miniatures. They’re wrong, of course, but they aren’t know for their intelligent decisions.

2. Asurmen says:

Gone are my financial constraits when it comes to GW. I can easily afford it these days, compared to my early 20s when my army consisted of mostly birthday and Christmas models. Despite that, GW’s prices are one of the few things the rile me enough to take a moral stance. I refuse to pay that. Ebay is your friend, your confidant, your lover. Be kind to it, and it will be kind to your wallet.

• Scelous says:

What job do you have?

• Asurmen says:

I’m on £23k a year, I live with my girlfriend who is on £27k and we’re in a rented house for £425/month. Our outgoings are easily covered leaving plenty of money for spends and savings.

• Alamech says:

That, or learning how to mould figurines in your kitchen.

3. SupahSpankeh says:

a) Is this game any good?

b) Have the issues described been addressed?

c) Is this game balanced?

d) Are the armies distinct in flavour, units and abilities?

• Xzi says:

I wish RPS had thought ahead of time to answer any or all of this in the article. Hopefully they have another look at it a few major updates down the line.

• Greg Wild says:

I still think it’s too early to say on all those points.

It’s got potential.

4. welverin says:

“* if you’re in the same boat, our Kieron is doing a very fine job of rounding up more affordable alternatives, in between getting TV shows optioned. ”

I was going to yell at him because he’s supposed to be writing comics, until I saw it’s WicDiv, so it’s o.k.