Please Stand By: Fallout 4 Announcement Tomorrow?

Okay, sure.

Please let Fallout 4 have green. Let it be set somewhere with trees, or somewhere with colours, or at least let it not have that ‘orrible murk filter Bethesda seem so fond of. Let it have trees and let it, somehow, stack up well against The Witcher 3.

It seems the E3 festivities begin earlier each year, as Bethesda have knocked up a Fallout teaser site counting down to 3pm tomorrow. What oh what could it be? I don’t feel I’m going out too far on a limb by declaring it’s obviously the new Fallout game they’ve clearly been working on for years.

What do we know about it? Nothing. What would I like to see in it? Well! More colour, obviously. More personality. A new UI. More wonder. A bigger sense of fun. More weirdness without tipping over into kookiness. Either a main questline I care about, or one so slight and diffuse that we’re left to roam and scamper and explore without a boring imperative hanging over us. Fewer generic places and quests which exist to fill time.

I feel a bit of a grump saying all this but The Witcher 3 does so much so better than Bethesda’s recent open-world RPGs. Everything in Fallout 3 was downhill after the initial sense of wonder wore off, about the time I left Megaton. Having watched Mad Max: Fury Road last night, I also obviously would like two hours of Furiosa and explosions – wait, maybe I’ll just go see it again tonight.

What would you like to see in Fallout 4, dear reader? I mean, assuming that’s what this is. If it isn’t, heck, what would you like to see in… any Fallout universe… thing?

1. Lars Westergren says:

> If it isn’t, heck, what would you like to see in… any Fallout universe… thing?

Anything made by Obsidian.

• Ejia says:

Except the world itself. NV was the better game in every respect except for that. The Capital Wasteland was fun to explore. The Mojave was boring.

• Cross says:

I suspect that’s mostly on account of how much teensier the budget for New Vegas seemed to be, so i can hardly blame ’em.

• mintyjulep says:

And please, fewer invisible walls. If you’re going to try and wall off areas, actually wall them off. Don’t place a nonsensical force field at the top of a ridge that’s easy to get to (looking at you area between Novac and the NCRCF and between the Dam and Boulder City).

Somewhere green would be great. Memphis, maybe? Or Nashville — the Smokies aren’t too far off if they still have a hankering for mountains.

• a_console_pheasant says:

For what it’s worth, Josh Sawyer has said that if he could take back any one decision about New Vegas that he made, it would be to not use those invisible walls.

Apparently they were only included to block certain particularly ugly views of the landscape geometry, for example from the back of Coyote Mine over Hoover Dam. You can glitch through the invisible wall there, and the view is indeed quite ugly.

• Jokerme says:

You mean shallow quests, weak atmosphere, and tons of bugs? That’s all I know about Obsidian games.

• Lars Westergren says:

You know nothing, Jon Snow.

• Bodylotion says:

Obsidian knew how to create a Fallout game. Bethesda took the Fallout IP and just did what the hell they want with it.

• MadMinstrel says:

A continuation of the original games, with isometric (or at least far away overhead, tactical) perspective and turn-based combat. They can keep their oblivion with guns, it sucks. Not that I really believe they’d do that – this is Bethesda we’re talking about, the company that misappropriated and subsequently vandalized the Fallout series in the first place.

But, whatever it is, they’re only announcing it now. It’s probably not arriving until at least christmas next year.

• darkath says:

Oregon trail in 3D and in the Fallout Universe

2. Zallgrin says:

I loved Fallout 3, despite the fact that the world made zero sense and despite the facts that all the NPCs were barely functioning automatons. I utterly loved it. F:NV might have had better writing, but I really loved the ridiculous bullshit world of Fallout 3 and its beautiful grey/green sights.

Therefore I am totally hyped for Fallout 4. I want more companions! More choice! More Mr. Burkes and Bennies! More vintage dresses! Radio music! Explosions!

Also, I want to play as a ghoul. This is not up for discussion. I. Need. Ghouls.

• Stevostin says:

F3’s automaton are actually way richer in term of behaviour than most NPC in other games. In addition to having schedule, activities, reaction to various event (thievery, agression, running around naked…) their quest scripting is actually pretty awesome. The hater always seem to ignore how much option F3 was constantly offering. Just checking any quest walkthrough say everything there is to know about this.

Also FNV may have a better story but F3 has the funnier lines. You can laugh playing F3, something that can’t happen in FNV.

• Zallgrin says:

Since I went into Fallout 3 right after Gothic, it really failed to impress me with its NPC schedules, sadly. But the automaton things was referring to flimsy characterization, unbelievable premises for every settlement, as well as the weird facial animations.

I mean, I liked those automatons, but they never felt even close to being real people.

Also, I never laughed at Fallout 3 the way I laughed at New Vegas. New Vegas had some of the crazy funniest lines and moments, be it the grandma gang trying to rob you, seducing Benny, the cannibal quest or the idiot in glasses at Helios One. I’m not saying it to put down Fallout 3, but the humour and plot points go clearly to F:NV.

Although it does depend on one’s taste of humour. Fallout 3 had a very simple streamlined style that applied to every aspect of the game. That’s what made it so memorable – the quests were easy to follow, the characters were easy to remember and the humour involved lots of winking at the player and going “Get it? It’s so ridiculous it’s hilarious, right?”

Man, this makes me even more nostalgic for F3.

• Stevostin says:

You clearly forgot about the grand ending, the VR main quest, and coming back to Megaton after the blast and discussing with the over optimistic lady.

I have to say I forgot myself about the granma gang in FNV. What I do remember is ONE TON OF EXPOSITION. In a game that reward speaking to everyone you should avoid punish it as well with flattly written repetitive background informations. A lot of things were smart (Cannibal quest indeed) but except from that one companion (Vera, I think) there was not one single really fun line in the whole game (well except in THAT DLC :P of course). It did “intense” very well though (first and last DLC).

I also disagree that F3 was less believable than FNV. It just cared less to explain. OTOH it didn’t have, you know… Roma.

• Cross says:

“How sad is knowledge, when it brings no profit to the wise.”
        It’s just a shame that all those schedules and “deep” behaviour didn’t lend the characters any credibility what so ever. They might be th emost detailed NPCs ever, but their automaton-ness still shone brighter than in most games.

• Zenicetus says:

“You can laugh playing F3, something that can’t happen in FNV.”

True for the most part, except for one bright exception — the “Old World Blues” DLC. That was a standout for me, and I wish more of the game had been that silly and fun.

• Press X to Gary Busey says:

New vegas low intelligence character: link to youtube.com
        Not that it has any impact other than the PC lines though. I blame the fact that Obsidian had to cut like 1/3 of the planned game due to publisher pressure.

• eggy toast says:

I agree with you. New Vegas is a superior game in pretty much every possible way, but I did really enjoy the enthusiasm of Fallout 3.

On the other hand after Fallout 3 and Fallout 3 II, I am not feeling especially excited about Fallout 3 III.

3. MiniMatt says:

I want Quinns to review it :) You know, just for giggles :)

4. Stevostin says:

Doh!

Please let Fallout be not green but just as sandy, murky, great as FNV and F3 were. I understand RPS team entirely missed those RPG, especially the later, despite those being just the best RPG ever for many people. I am glad you like the Witcher. I certainly don’t. Enjoy your stuff and let mine alone please.

Also if you can’t tell one of the top AD of its time (look at who worked on F3, look at the art…) and one cheesy AAA wannabe who don’t know there can be such a thing as “too much different tint” and don’t understand light, it’s ok for you to comment but just keep in mind that for some people there’s a world of difference between the two angle and not in favor of the Witcher.

• Stevostin says:

(that being said I do hope that Bethesda takes note of what’s good in TW, namely the writing and try to raise its own standard on this)

• Bodylotion says:

They should’ve let Obsidian do the writing

• Stevostin says:

It depends. Bethesda’s writing can be dull but sometimes it’s pretty awesome. As said by other F3 offered quite a few memorable, enjoyable moment while FNV is a bit heavy and has a lot of cumbersome exposition. I think I do prefer FNV overall but it’s not because of the writing as much as better setting (love the Mojave & Vegas), better map, companion, awesome DLCs. Oh and better guns, too.

• sajaki says:

^ Because lack of shadows is understanding light. F3 was visualy the most flat and dull enviroment in a game ever. Objects like rocks and buildings were so unnaturally “placed” in the world it almost looked like you were running a 3d map editor with the most visual options set to “off”.

link to overthinkingit.com
      This is understanding light? For the love of god…

• Stevostin says:

Artistic Direction beat the crap out of game engine most of the time and here we have an excellent illustration. F3 is a bag of trick just like TW 1 & 2 are when it comes to rendering, but one bag is made by some of the best skilled people in the industry and one isn’t.

I am a bit harsher than deserved but the news taunted me. To give more detail: being of polish (easter europe) culture CDP relation with colors is impacted. That’s something that will immediately show if you look at local painting over the last centuries, using way more tints in one image than you would see in western area (including USA btw). So it’s not lack of talent, rather than a cultural bias that doesn’t goes flawlessly worldwide. Some countries are awesome with graphic design out of their cultural box (say Japan), some are awesome with modern popular music in the same way (UK anyone ?). Poland doesn’t have an easy start on that regard.

Also it’s true that the AD has been done really very well on F3 especially. You may or may not like it but some of the people involved are industry legend (Craig Mullins for instance) and to me (but also a lot of reviewer, but not on PC where F3 had a ridicule hostile bias in the press) it shows.

5. OmNomNom says:

Excited.

Fallout > Witcher

Styxie says:

Melancholy.

Dogs > Sandwiches

• XhomeB says:

Except Bethesda’s Fallout has nothing in common with Fallout 1&2, it’s a console acshun ar-pee-gee designed with the lowest common denominator in mind, thus: a steaming pile of…
      Witcher > everything Bethesda made since Morrowind.

• Dale Winton says:

Or you could say Bethesda took a tired old rpg and transformed it into one of the greatest modern rpgs ever made. But then your probably one of these people that think fo1 & 2 than the 3rd game

Qazinsky says:

Ah, yes, Fallout 3 is of the same genre (action RPG) as Diablo, rather than being part of the much closer CRPG genre, that makes sense!

6. stonetoes says:

Drivable vehicles have always been noticably absent for a series that clearly draws so much inspiration from Mad Max. With Fury Road doing so well that lack will be even more apparent.

Pray for wheels.

• Sparkasaurusmex says:

Not really always been absent. FO2 featured a car you could use to get around the map. Not really driveable in a video gamey sense, though.

• Boris Soviet Love Hammer says:

Yeah, even the relationship between Dogmeat (The canine companion in Fallout 3 if you don’t know) and the Player is based off Max and his dog. And if the game doesn’t have “wheels” then you bet, if its a Bethesda game, there’s gonna be a mod for it.

• Captain Captane says:

I think Dogmeat in Fallout has more to do with the film/book, A Boy and His Dog, the kid even calls the dog (named Blood) “dogmeat” as an insult.

• Jediben says:

Truly terrible/awesome film by the way. When I ordered it from Play.com a decade ago, they were so keen to be rid of stock they sent me two copies!

• Detocroix says:

Yeah, that’s where Mad Max got it’s doggy thing too. I think it was mentioned somewhere at some time, but I think many of these post-apocalyptic games refer to Mad Max instead of Boy.

• Monggerel says:

Considering Bethesda will always and forever keep using newer and no less awful iterations of the stilted-beyond-stilt-Gamebryo engine, I can hardly imagine them being able to put even marginally enjoyable vehicles into Fallout.
      Yes, Skyrim’s “Creation Engine” is still just Gamebryo. Still just as terrible as Gamebryo. The only positive is the modular nature of the games running on it (big positive), but a better engine could still do that (Unreal? I think?).

Oh well. It’s not like I won’t play F4 for like a hundred hours anyway.

• Nouser says:

I want to believe that Bethesha will use the last iteration of the id Tech 4, now that it is the “official” Zenimax engine.

• Jason Moyer says:

Pirates! had pretty decent vehicles, and that used the same engine.

• Press X to Gary Busey says:

Perhaps they can license Drift City’s Gamebryo driving code. ;)

• grimdanfango says:

At this point, they’d probably have a more solid, cutting-edge and versatile base to build their next game on if they just went with Unity, rather than sticking with the mess they’ve hacked together over the years.

• Sui42 says:

This. I effing hate Gamebryo. It worked well with Morrowind, BUT THAT WAS LIKE 13 YEARS AGO

7. draglikepull says:

I hope Fallout 4 is a step forward for the series and not just a slightly-better-looking rehash of Fallout 3. I love Fallout 3, but I’ve already played it. I want something new.

• eggy toast says:

I agree. I thought the Witcher 3 comparison was very telling. Witcher 1, 2 and 3 are each progressively more complex games as well as being numerical iterations. Both Fallout and Elder Scrolls have been in “fresh coat of paint and number +1” mode for well over a decade at this point

• Raoul Duke says:

I think people who say this should be forced to go back and play Oblivion again to make them appreciate how much better Skyrim is in almost very way.

• Sui42 says:

I think people who say this should be forced to play Morrowind, to realise how much better it is than Skyrim in almost every way.

• Cross says:

I hope they’ve finally gone and made a new engine. Gamebryo is and has always been a fucking travesty.

• Horg says:

Yep, if this one comes out with the 64hz micro stutter bug they can shove it up their arse. Got sick of modding to fix the engine inherent bugs sometime around Skyrim.

8. ExitDose says:

I hope it’s not green. The brown wasteland is thematic. The color in that world should come from the relics left behind by a dead civilization.

• Hanban says:

I liked the way Fury Road hanlded it, incidentally. Most of the world is devastated and brown. But then there are splotches of colour in a select few places that gives some variation.

• Horg says:

Realistically, if human civilisation was messily and violently wiped out, plants would cover everything in about a decade. Life….uh, finds a way.

• ExitDose says:

Except that in this game everything is supposed to be contaminated and lifeless. Humans aren’t the only lifeforms that react poorly to nuclear weapons.

9. melnificent says:

After all this time I would love a release date within 3 months… really though we know they’ll aim for the crowded October to December window.

10. gunny1993 says:

Things I hope this game has:

A semi light hearted sense of humor

Some diverse areas

FUCKING BUG TESTING BEFORE RELEASE, seriously, F:NV was unacceptable and if a relatively small studio like CDPR can do it, there’s no excuse.

A More populated world: Honestly wandering through the wasteland is nice … once, give me lots of decent side quests and I’ll walk everywhere, give me none and I wont (ala Skyrim)

More vaults, seriously vaults are my favorite side quests, just rip episodes of the Twilight zone and you’ll keep me amused.

11. Nibblet says:

Aside from the usual graphics and ai enchancements i would love for Bethesda to make a proper pc verson of something just once.
    No loading screens, no clunky god awful menus, no limit on bindable keys and above all no artificial hardcoded hardware limitations.
    Ah, but one can dream.

12. MMajor says:

I have never understood peoples obsession with fallout needing to be green, I like it desolate myself. I really hope they bring out the Midwest brotherhood into the modern series since they are going east again, the lack of brotherhood presence in NV was understandable but still felt like a missed opportunity to me.

13. Cockles says:

Erm, why are you even considering the option of watching Fury Road again? JUST GO AND DO IT!

14. Vaetilda says:

Fallout isn’t supposed to be “green” and lush, it’s a nuclear wasteland.

• Ryuuga says:

It’s pretty green around Chernobyl, but yeah, I agree – it’s supposed to look like the typical PA fare, Mad Max being the progenitor. Not that there can’t be a bit of variation.

What I hope for is less railroading and more exploration, radiated abandoned places with hidden tech. And yeah, less repetition in the locations, more building types please, one got to know that one typical building far too well. The brain-in-a-jar robot got real old, too. But overall FO3 wasnt half bad as long as it mostly stuck to exploration and shooting raiders in the face with a hunting rifle. The story quest, though.. ugh, ugh, ugh. Never finished it. And dont get me started on the bait and switch of the ghoul hotel, that one also turned me off something fierce. And dont include snooty kids unless we can shoot them. So just dont.

Lots of things from the old, great fallout games didn’t really work well in 3D, though – hilarious violence was never as cartoony, and the brotherhood of steel always looked like the Micheline man convention. Then again, anyone running or moving tended to look a bit hooky, they were just the worst of the lot.

Overall though, here’s hoping for more of that lighthearted FO2 humor, that zaniness, all that weird shit. Serious games can go be somewhere else, this is supposed to be silly stuff.

• Detocroix says:

Chernobyl = Radiation, abandonment, nature completely unhinged
        Fallout = Nuclear devastation, nuclear winter, abandonment, radiation

The first two parts do a pretty good job at wiping out all non-shelted life. You don’t have that much nature in places where you don’t get sunlight, nor rains, nor anything else needed for life.

• PancakeWizard says:

True, but they can be more creative with it: ash tundra, acid pools, settlements built along canyon walls, warped cities crumbling along post-quake fault lines, some people living in the wreckage of the ISS….

Plenty to consider to break up the generic desert, leather and rubble motif.

15. PancakeWizard says:

I bet it’s a Fallout 3 remastered release. Easy (lazy) money for companies these days to just up the settings for the current gen of consoles.

• Ejia says:

I don’t recall Bethesda doing remastered rereleases for anything Fallout or Elder Scrolls related. They leave that (and the bugfixes) to the fans.

16. Shake Appeal says:

Bethesda Fallout? No thank you. Fallout 3 was terrible.

• XhomeB says:

This man is a true gentleman, a remarkable scholar and I like the cut of his jib.
      Every self-respecting human being knows that THERE WAS NO FALLOUT 3.

• Marclev says:

I thought it was pretty damn good and exactly what I hoped for from a first person follow-up to a franchise of which I enjoyed the last proper game 10 years previously.

• Press X to Gary Busey says:

Don’t you know that it’s better to just cling to the past like and wait for the necromancers at the shell of Interplay to resurrect Black Isle in all its former glory? ;)

I like the old games (even Tactics) and the new for what they are so I don’t really get why the series staying dead would’ve been the better option.

• Herbal Space Program says:

I pretend that STALKER is Fallout 3, it helps me sleeping better.

17. xenothaulus says:

The countdown hits zero, and the page changes to a redirect to brink2.bethsoft.com.

18. Bing_oh says:

A green post-apocalyptic wasteland? Seriously? The only green should be from the warm glow of my PipBoy screen and the even warmer glow of the irradiated muck the local feral ghouls are swimming in. Bright colors should be reserved to make something of significance pop in dusty radioactive browns of the Wasteland.

Bethesda can feel free to upgrade the graphics engine, do a proper bug hunt before release, and keep that quirky 50’s feel…I’ll always play with Wild Wasteland on for the occasional weird encounter.

• gunny1993 says:

Well I would argue that anywhere capable of supporting Human life for even a small amount of time would be capable of supporting plantlife, personally I’m a bit fed up of the “everything dead… apart from humans …. who cant photosynthesize” fallout world, I’d like to see some plantlife. Preferably heavily mutated and funky looking, hell replace green with purple and explain it as a new niche of purple bacteria symbiosis with plants.

Although I do agree with the colours being used to mark significance, maybe use the new plant life as a plot point.

• MMajor says:

generally speaking most vegetation in past fallout games are crops or carnivores… although I do seem to recall a small patch of trees in the beginning of fallout 2. frankly I wouldn’t mind small patches of green as long as they include the carnivorous plants. but it can still be a wasteland and have personality and color just not necessarily green as the majority, considering most plants we know of seem to have been forced into extinction.

• Jason Moyer says:

Aside from Oasis, which is in vanilla FO3, Point Lookout was full of trees and plantlife.

19. The Sombrero Kid says:

it’s either a scam or an mmo, can’t be anything worthwhile, they’d save it for e3.

• Lars Westergren says:

“Oh IIIIII don’t want to set the world on fire, I just want to see the forums burn…”

• Lars Westergren says:

I suspect they are just pre-empting the inevitable E3 leaks. Someone spotted a reference to Fallout4.com in the javascript too, now removed.

Still, if you are right, much sad will be had.

• Press X to Gary Busey says:

No way Zenimax will flop out another MMO. :P
      A MOBA perhaps. ;)

20. 2late2die says:

I somewhat disagree with green, though not entirely. It is a post-apocalyptic wasteland after, so it can’t be all properly green. With that said, it shouldn’t be all brown either. For one, we can have oasis type of locations – where either nature managed to take back some land on its own, or with the help of humans (like say green houses or what not). Then, even with barren landscape there should be variety, things like – rocky desert-like location with minimal vegetation, proper desert with sand dunes location, very barren location where the ground is made of rocks and hardened lava with crevices and cracks. Also, snow should still be possible so it’d be nice to see that but I’m not holding hope.

As for the rest, I enjoyed NV much more than F3, but that’s probably because it felt more directed from the get go. I also enjoyed that kind of approach in Skyrim. I think even with open world games, the main quest needs to be more specific/concrete, and that’s something F3 kind of failed on. At the same time though I’d love to see F4 offer the same freedom to just “live” as Skyrim did – just settle down in some town, do small jobs, earn a living, etc.

Main thing I’d like to see in F4, and really any open world game, is player having more impact on the world. I want to see stuff like, if I helped defend a town against raiders people will tip their head to me, and maybe some kid will run up and thank me. Then if I also completely eliminated the raiders, took out their leader and essentially broke them up, well then I should see the town start to prosper after some time. New people move in, couple of new houses built, etc. Basically, towards the end of the game I want to “walk the world” and see the results of my good (or evil) deeds.

21. vorador says:

Better narrative. Giving the franchise to Obsidian for Las Vegas was a giant step in the right direction (minus bugs at launch), please keep it up.

More personal freedom. I don’t want simply a “saint or devil” choice. In Fallout 3 it was either remorseless puppy killer or the second coming or Jesus.

And for the love of god, please fix the faces. I know Fallout is in a toxic radioactive wasteland, but at least make the NPC look human. The ones that need to look human, at least.

• Zephro says:

Yeah this basically. I want an actual world full of characters, characters and some good writing.

Plus sorting out all the horrid engine stuff. Really after the Witcher 3 and Pillars of Eternity somewhere that just feels like an empty sand box someone has dropped random NPCs in will annoy the hell out of me. The first 2 fallouts never felt like that, New Vegas was fine (I think I just bounced off the engine the writing was ace) but fallout 3 was like the elder scrolls and totally dull.

• Detocroix says:

Minor bugs at launch? Surely you jest. I was unable to complete it on PS4 and unable to complete it on PC later on when I got it discounted. It is the most broken game I have ever played… not horrible, just broken. Horribly broken.

22. WhatAShamefulDisplay says:

Please do be: Morrowind with guns.

Please don’t be: Skyrim with guns.

Thank you.

23. chesh says:

It’s probably a MOBA.

• Lars Westergren says:

Doubtful. Infinite Crises just folded. Still, studios tried to create MMOs for years, even though they all failed.

24. Solidstate89 says:

You want verdant green forests in a post-nuclear apocalyptic wasteland?

Yeah, how about no. Go play Skyrim or Oblivion.

• Jason Moyer says:

Or Point Lookout. Oh.

• Solidstate89 says:

Yeah, that’s certainly a, uh, uhm, kind of green. Definitely.

Not sure that’s what Alice wants since she’s looking for more Witcher 3 style of art direction and environs. I still think it’s a stupid thing to wish for as it’s the antithesis of what you would expect of a global thermonuclear annihilation.

A nice green looking post-apocalyptic game would be The Last of Us; but that works because the world was destroyed by a human focused disease, not by nuclear war wiping out anything and everything.

• Asurmen says:

See, it’s several hundred years after the war. Some things will be growing again.

• Zenicetus says:

It would depend more on the geographic location and climate than post-nuclear effects. Take a look at what Bikini Atoll looks like today, after the largest hydrogen bomb test the USA ever tried. It’s no wasteland, because the vegetation quickly recovered in that climate.

New Vegas was appropriately brown and dry because that’s what the Mojave looks like anyway, nukes or no nukes. So I’d expect appropriate recovered vegetation wherever the new game is set.

25. Casimir's Blake says:

IF it is going to be Fallout 4…

PLEASE BE A FIRST PERSON RPG not third person!! I’m utterly sick of the lack of any immersive first person games (that aren’t tedious “walker sims” with no gameplay), and the Witcher 3’s insistence of a third person perspective ruins immersion.

• Lars Westergren says:

It’s going to be isometric and turn-based. Mark my words.

• John O says:

It’s going to be the most complex text adventure ever conceived

• RedViv says:

Fallout Four: A Choose-Your-Own-Adventure for the next generation, by Zenimax Press

• Solidstate89 says:

First off, bollocks to you and your opinion of The Wticher 3.

Second, it’s not as if Bethesda has a long and storied history of third-person RPGs.

particlese says:

Well, to be partially supportive, Oblivion added a third-person horse-mount cam for no reason, and Skyrim seems too have defaulted to third-person riding, even. (Going on YouTube videos here since I hated the camera switch enough to ignore horses altogether.) Skyrim also saw fit to add kill cams with finishing moves galore, and it later received a patch which added arrow cams and fireball cams, to great fanfare. There was never an option provided by Bethesda for any of that immersion-breaking stuff, so I’m very thankful for the modders who provided (optional) fixes. (Yeah, exploding meals and backwards dragons and whatnot break immersion, too, but those types of things usually aren’t design decisions non-optionally screaming for attention, and they’re often humorous enough to be forgiven.)

But with that said, if there’s a strongly characterized protagonist, or if I’m taking the odd semi-narcissistic screenshot, or if Bethesda sees fit to bring back the paper doll, I’m all for third-personry.

26. theirongiant says:

On the green thing: don’t really care either way but worth noting that given the events of FO3 what with the clear, contamination free water and all a bit of green wouldn’t be out of character

Harlander says:

A nice juxtaposition of some scorched, irradiated desert with verdant life reclaiming the world would be just the ticket.

27. draglikepull says:

Today Fallout 4 is teased and then hours later Sepp Blatter steps down. COINCIDENCE?!?

Risingson says:

Whatever you say about Fallout 3, it didn’t have a sneaky game breaking bug that did not allow you to finish it and made you backtrack many, many hours that did not deserve my time.

Really, Fallout 1 was the game I hate most playing this year. I am amazed that NO ONE of the fans told me of that bug.

Fallout3 is not dumbed down. It is a really beautiful game that has a lot of the pioneer spirit you can read in David Brin’s “The Postman”: people trying to rebuild USA with their most iconic elements.

Risingson says:

And I did not like FNV for being that extremely cynical: you did not do things because you were good or bad, but because YOUR CHARACTER felt that one thing was more convenient than the other. It made me feel like the very annoying moral choices in the Bioware games, which are some kind of morality tales that justify individualism. Rant off, thanks.

• Aviron says:

In all Fallout games the main character is a blank slate: YOU decide what do you do and why. What character are you talking about? Have you even played the game?

Risingson says:

Yes I did. Did you? Are you able to understand what you read?

What you say is not how the games work. These games have missions, side characters and many scripted things. In FNV you should kill a good character because it is better for your outcome: at least two rangers fit in this.

For what I’ve been told same thing happens in Skyrim. In Fallout 1, buggy as it is, I never had that feeling btw.

• Aviron says:

“In FNV you should kill a good character because it is better for your outcome.”
            That doesn’t mean you HAVE to, though: FNV does have a lot of problems (mainly It’s ugly as sin and buggy as hell), but lack of choice is clearly not one of them. So the problem is the game forces you to make difficult decisions without a clear answer? In an RPG, you character is defined by the choices he or she makes: if one of the options is clearly better than the other (both morally and financially), that means the choice is meaningless.

I don’t remember if Fallout 1 had any choices like that, but Fallout 2 does and in my opinion that’s an aspect the sequel improved over the original.

• Solidstate89 says:

I had so many game breaking bugs in New Vegas it’s amazing. I had to re-do that Presidential assassination mission like a dozen times, and even after I did it correctly, when I went to go speak to the General…she had completely bugged out. At first I couldn’t find her, and then when I could her, I couldn’t find her. I go into the console commands and reset her character.

I had a lot of bugs in Fallout 3 (both console and PC) but none that were so bad that it prevented me from finishing the main quest.

29. jangove says:

What would I like? I’d like for it too be built by Obsidian again, instead of Bethesda. I find that I have less and less time for Bethesda’s plot-less, story-less, point-less series of fetch quests and aimless wandering. New Vegas has its flaws, but at least it was working hard to be consistently interesting within the frame that the Bethesda model requires. With things like, you know, story.

• John O says:

This may sound weird, but I really don’t like the stories in games. Almost universally. I appreciated it that Fallout 3 let me wander around and didn’t try to bury me in lore and cut scenes.
      Someone else complained about the empty map. I loved that as well. It felt right that way. Fallout 3 was the game that let me play like I wanted to. I would be very unhappy with a sequel that tried to be like other games.

• John O says:

I’m prepared to be disappointed however :-P

• Barberetti says:

I’m finding that I don’t really care for a story if It’s an open world game and I’m not playing a predefined character. For me, it’s all about my character, the exploring, and the mischief I can get up to in that world.

I put around 200 hours into New Vegas and I have no idea what the main story was about.

My story on the other hand, was about revenge for being shot in the head then buried alive. I spent my time exploring every nook and cranny of that boring fucking desert, honing my skills and biding my time. I remember discovering that town with the huge dinosaur, and after sorting out my accomodation, took a stroll down to that old lady’s junk yard.

I was around level 12 maybe.

The next thing I know, these 3 Caesars Legion guys are running towards me. Now if there’s one thing that hundreds of hours playing Fallout 3 taught me, it was that if 3 guys are running towards you, there’s gonna be a fucking fight. So I run back to town and get on the roof of my house, and pick them off one by one because they’re too stupid to figure out how to reach me. Then I strip them of their loot and clothes and leave their corpses in a pile by the front gate as a warning to anyone else who might think of crossing me.

Level 12, looking for Benny, and now the Legion have a beef with me for some reason. I suspect it was because earlier in the game I had a run in with one of their Decanus, who for some reason decided to give me shit.

Maybe he shouldn’t have called me a lowly dog.

Later on in my travels, I came across the Great Khans. Popped into their main building to say hello, and imagine my surprise when I see a Caesars Legion guy sat at dinner with their chief. The next thing I know, this wanker is like “You! You are an enemy of the legion blah blah you will pay blah blah insolence blah blah dog etc etc”. I’m like “Fuck you Legion arsehole”, and unload my shotgun into his chest while he’s still trying to stuff food into his mouth. The Khans were a bit pissed off about that, so I had to shoot my way out of the place then wipe them all out. A friend of my enemy is no friend of mine.

Anyway, I eventually reached level 30 and made my way back to my house, then got tooled up and strolled into New Vegas for the first time. I Walked into Benny’s casino, and after a bit of a scuffle in the main entrance, went up to the man himself and gunned the fucker down in front of his customers.

Fuck you Benny.

I then walked out of Vegas and never looked back. I had business with a guy called Caesar …

• Rizlar says:

Indeed! I wouldn’t go full Quinns on F:NV but I definitely enjoyed F3 more for the reasons you mention.

30. ResonanceCascade says:

I barely made any progress in Fallout 3 and I ragequit New Vegas after the main questline broke. And yet somehow I’m still excited. Sometimes I’m just in the mood for a little bit of Bethesda’s broken-and-awkward-but-massive-and-charming sandbox play.

31. Mint says:

Fallout needs to have more green?

Why the hell would anyone wat to play fallout anyway as a gamer if having more green in the game is on their wishlist? Go play the witcher or skyrim?

32. Joe The Wizard says:

I only hope that I get to meet Harold again.

33. Sic says:

Meh.

More TES I say. Fallout was good in 1998.

34. boba says:

What would you like to see in Fallout 4, dear reader?

I would like to see it not made by Bethesda. Failing that I would like to see it crash and burn. Financially that is. That way they would hopefully drop this silly notion that they are capable of making a decent Fallout game.

• Press X to Gary Busey says:

Good show taking the taliban route. Wouldn’t it be easier to just ignore the new games as if the series had stayed dead and forgotten? Rather than pissing all over new and old fans who are perfectly happy that there are new sandbox RPG’s being made that just happens to use the F name?

• boba says:

No, no it wouldn’t. See Fallout isn’t just any old franchise that people should get excited when it gets picked up by a company for a revival. Fallout is one of those games that has turned into a cult sort of over the years. So either you do it right, or you don’t do it at all. And Bethesda has proven that they have no clue when it comes to doing Fallout right, unlike Obsidian. Don’t get me wrong, I’m all for compromises, letting go of some things, accepting new things etc. but Fallout 3 was an abomination if we look at it as a Fallout game. I actually think that if they named the game something like “Fallout: Capitol Wasteland” they would have received less flak about it from people like me.

That said, Fallout is just one fraction of the crap Bethesda has pulled over the years that makes me want them to crash and burn. It’s actually really hilarious when people spit all over various companies, then turn around and praise Bethesda when they are in the same boat (if not worse).

Both of my wishes are pure dreams seeing as Bethesda will be doing it (with Todd “Hey, violence is funny!” Howard in charge) and it will be a ridiculously successful title as people are likely already spamming Bethesda’s support line asking “Where tf do I click to pre-order!?”.

35. Shabbaman says:

I know what I want: Oculus Rift support. Or whatever VR goggles is de rigueur by then.

36. Paxeh says:

Checking the page source gives me the following nice block

Access Error

PA system failure has occured.
    Shutdown of the Masterbrain has been authorized and all sensitive materials have been removed for security purposes.
    Please attempt re-access. Have a pleasant day.

Cool as hell.

37. Gelatinous Cube says:

Let it have trees and let it, somehow, stack up well against The Witcher 3.

All it would have to do to stack up well against The Witcher 3 is have a less awful control scheme, combat that is more than button mashing and dodge spam, some half decent RPG mechanics, a loot system that serves as more than a way to load your character down with useless items and occasionally delivers a new piece of equipment that the player is actually excited about getting, an open ended character creation system that allows you to play a distinctive character of your own creation rather than a gruff wizard/fighter/alchemist/archer/psionic superman with the personality of a dry baked potato, and a way to get the horrible player avatar out the way so you can actually see the world and feel like you’re in it.

I’ll take the above. You can keep your trees and green color palette.

• gunny1993 says:

Well fallout games always let you play a self insert schizophrenic so you’re all set there.

• Gelatinous Cube says:

Oh yeah. Some AI that was smart enough not to let me take them to the end of their tether and dispatch them at my leisure with my infinite supply of crossbow bolts, or put up some sort of token objection when I walk into their house and start taking all their stuff right in front of them, might also be nice. But I wouldn’t want to downplay the importance of having enough green trees in an irradiated wasteland.

• Casimir's Blake says:

If I could upvote this post I would do so a billion times. Immersive first person gaming is a rare and beautiful thing, and there is so little of it these days, let alone RPGs. Bethesda games have their issues with immersion but I do appreciate that a) the player can be whomever he/she wants, b) the player can choose third OR first person viewpoints at any time, and c) the player can go and do whatever they want within the limits of the game mechanics. Shame that Skyrim dumbed this down so much, though, and had such linear, unexciting dungeons.

Christ, what I would give for another King’s Field game… :(

• Menthalion says:

The great thing the Fallouts did was make your character a blank sheet that you could fill in, something the Witcher never did. On combat however, I have no hope in Hell that it’s going to be any better than the Witcher. The Witcher 1 & 2’s were pretty substandard, but they were actually playable, instead of the clunky garbage Skyrim was.

What use are all the different combinations of real-time melee, bows, stealth and magic if switching between them takes half a minute in pause mode ? Even with Sky UI it only got marginally better. What’s harder than just implementing a standard action bar system with weapon sets ?

38. raiders says:

VEHICLES!

I mean, damn, can I get just ONE vehicle?

I remember scavenging Fallout 3 in my first playthrough and came across all those motorcycle parts. I thought, “Wow, I can build a motor bike in this game?” And of course you know what all those parts were actually for.

I hated the quick travel feature too. That could be eliminated with vehicles.
    You would have to maintain them too. Replacing parts that wear out, finding and making consumable fuel.
    Remember all that vodka and whiskey bottles in Fallout 3? Those could’ve been put to better use.

I would love to be able to make some form of fuel distillation equipment in Fallout 4.

And how about the ability to craft my own living quarters for a change?

Or clothing for that matter? I never did get to make pelts out those bears and dogs I killed in the wasteland.
    It would’ve been cool to make a full scale giant scorpion armor.
    Or how about a freakin jetpack for crying out loud?
    Give me a jetpack so I can fly over the new wasteland and take in the scenery Far Cry 4 style (since were discussing Witcher 3 and all).

I also wouldn’t mind having a pack of dogs at my side when I’m trekkin’. Remember Dogmeat?
    How I cried when he died! I’m getting teary-eyed just thinking about him. But I told him to stay away from those damn Mirelurks!

Giving us more dogs to find and care for would be awesome. We could give’em stuff to pack for us as well.

Well enough daydreaming. I hope this wasn’t all for nothing.

39. kafkaeskimo says:

While I hope things are just as gritty and ramshackle as other Fallouts, I really want to see at least some NPCs that clean up for themselves. I mean, you’d enter a town that was supposed to have it together and they’d still have old magazines laying all over the floor and grime all over their broken bathrooms. Sure, if people are depressed and downtrodden, I want to feel that in the environment, but I also want to be convinced that no one felt like picking up a few broken shelves and burned tires in their new jobless future.

Anyway, I hope the variation of physical objects and artwork includes some touches where people have tried to make things more livable here and there. I’d also like to be able to tell the difference walking into a place if it’s sat dusty and untouched since the big war or it’s been covered in grime by raiders. Like, sections of a rocket factory that scavengers couldn’t get into should have a different kind of old going on than stuff that’s been worn away by the wasteland.

40. DanMan says:

Fully agree with Alice here. I still regret buying F3. It just never managed to excite me in any way. Also very dull to look at. F4 would have to be incredible to sway be over.

41. Scrofa says:

I’m so not looking forward to this. I loathe Bethesda’s vision of a genre as a themepark hoarding simulator with no talented writers involved just makes me nauseous. I loathe Fallout 3 and weep every time I’m reminded of how they didn’t pay extra money to Obsidian because of a stupid metacritic rating, which was entirely Bethesda’s fault since they were the ones in charge of the release date which didn’t give Obsidian enough time to polish their excellent and truest Fallout 2 sequel.

42. gabrielonuris says:

Oooohhh, after playing The Witcher 3 and seeing that an open world game with real content is possible, I can’t bear another Bethesda title. Never again. Seriously, the normal peasants in that game say more lines than all of the main NPCs of Fallout 3, NV, and all of the Elder Scrolls titles combined.

43. Uninteresting Curse File Implement says:

I welcome this release as the necessary step to the inevitable Fallout 4: New Vegas II

Harlander says:

I’d really go for the already-mentioned collaboration, with Bethesda doing the world and Obsidian writing the core story, characters and such. NV’s writing was much stronger but for the purposes of wandering around and finding interesting stuff I preferred 3.

45. green frog says:

Well, I see the comments are staying true to form:

Obsidian, CD Projekt RED: Breathless adulation
    Bethesda, BioWare: Unquenchable rage

I’m not saying the comments are wrong, mind you. Because something this inherently subjective can’t possibly be “right” or “wrong”. (Personally, I’ve thoroughly enjoyed games from all four companies.) The general tenor of the comments on RPS is remarkably distinct and consistent, though. It’s interesting.

46. Turkey says:

They’ve been selling a gazillion copies of each one of these games since Oblivion, so I’m not really expecting any radical changes. I’m guessing they’ll have some interesting one-off environments to spice things up, but all I’m really expecting is better graphics and some iteration on the UI to make it even more gamepad friendly.