RPS Asks: What Are Your Hopes For E3 2015?

E3 2015 is a little under two weeks away which means that RPS is, between emailing, weeping and panic-vomiting, excitedly daydreaming about the games we care about: the XCOM 2s, the Fallout maybe-4s, the Deus Ex: Mankind Divideds. What might E3 bring of those games and what surprises might the show deliver? Could a new Hitman game be properly announced? Could Mirror’s Edge 2 live up to my hopes at all?

We know a fair few of what will be there already, including the aforementioned, plus the likes of the new Doom, Banner Saga 2, and so on. It’s the unknown that interests me more. For example, Ubisoft yesterday announced that they’d be at the show with Assassin’s Creed: Syndicate, The Division and Rainbow Six: Siege, but also “a few big surprises.” I’m not sure that Watch_Dogs 2, a new Splinter Cell, or another Far Cry would really be a surprise, but perhaps they’ll have a Beyond Good & Evil 2 (bet not) or some strange new UbiArt Framework thing (probs) to talk about.

Similarly, there look to be holes in the development slates of most of the major publishers. What action game are 2K working on now that Evolve is out and BioShock is dormant? What are Rockstar’s many studios making now Grand Theft Auto 5 is out on all platforms? Don’t EA have more cooking than the long-ago announced Mirror’s Edge and Star Wars: Battlefront?

Will Microsoft even mention the PC at their traditionally XBox-focused pre-show conference?

Will Valve hahahahha?

Etc.

Tell me your dreams.

1. Zallgrin says:

A few new indies that I not heard before, Fallout 4, maybe Doom might be good? Also gonna watch new Mirror’s Edge 2 footage.

Aand that’s all. I don’t really care about the rest.

2. John O says:

I want to see a new Doom game. Maybe they’re using a beefed up version of the original engine? That could work!

• P.Funk says:

Brutal Doom answers the question more than adequately in my opinion.

3. Creeping Death says:

Honestly? The past 2 years I’ve gone into the whole E3 thing with absolutely no hopes or expectations. It usually ends with me having a list of 20 upcoming games I’m incredibly interested in.

It’s usually something that’s newly announced on the day that comes out of nowhere that grabs me the most.

FhnuZoag says:

I wonder whether Ubisoft will be a bit more humble after their disastrous failure to live up to promises.

From EA, I’m expecting a Mass Effect 4 announcement.

5. Procrastination Giant says:

ohmygodohmygod Dark Souls 3 ohmygodohmygod Miyazaki ohmygodohmygod *armflail*

Apart from that…
    Mildly excited about XCom2, since the announcement that it’s a PC exclusive might mean that it doesn’t feel like a bloody IOS tablet game this time around. As for Fallout 4… we’ll see, maybe Bethesda finally releases another good game… been a while since Morrowind came out afterall! *hides*

• GameCat says:

Praise the Sun!

New From Software game will sure generate high amount of hype, because they’re the best developers (at least for me) around. Even medicore Souls game like DS2 was much better than most of anything I’ve played since last few years.

Aside of that:

– new game from Arkane Studios (Dishonoured 2?)
      – Souls-like game that will not be just a clone but will further develop this subgenre
      – post apo RPG that will not come from incompetent hacks responsible of Skyrim
      – something big and fresh
      – The Last Guardian :(

• killias2 says:

Dark Souls 3 is easily my most looked-forward-to project at E3. Bloodborne expansion is up there. (Yes.. I got a PS4.. basically just for Bloodborne).

After that.. it’s hard to say. I think I have a pretty good sense of what my other favorite developers are doing, and I’m not sure anything else big will be revealed.

Of course, I can always dream of Europa Universalis: Rome 2….

• McGuit says:

Yes for me, Dark Souls 3 and Bloodborne expansion.
      That is all….

6. jezcentral says:

Hitman: Blood Money 2. Hitman: Blood Money 2. Hitman: Blood Money 2……..

• P.Funk says:

Years ago when I still used my PS2 to play Blood Money I had rampant fantasies about what an iterative leap forward in the next game would be like, how next gen technology could take the open worlds and make them larger, more open, in radically preposterous new environments, such as a Football stadium where the targets are in VIP booths doing lines of cocaine, in dank locker rooms near the sidelines getting blowjobs from cheerleaders during commercial breaks, crowds swooning with an actual game being played below that would either be interrupted or play on depending on how you fared in your mission.

Instead I got another rollercoaster ride.

At this point I would be happy with minor engine updates and a mission pack for the original Blood Money, damn a new game to hell.

7. Clavus says:

Looking forward to the VR precense this year. All the hardware is releasing within the next year and a lot of studios have VR titles in the works.

8. lordcooper says:

I look forward to being lied to and watching those lies unravel over the next few months/years.

9. Cockie says:

Let’s see, footage from Mirror’s Edge 2 and Mass Effect 4 would be fun. If I may go into the realm of dreams, TES6 and Portal 3…

• Ejia says:

Ooh. While I want Portal 3 more than Half-Life 3 at this point, there isn’t much they can do now that Chell’s out.

Unless they pull her back in again, at which point it would be quite a drag.

• Cockie says:

While that’s true, they could make a prequel – I think it would be quite interesting to see Aperture at the time of Cave Johnson.
        Or a sequel with a different protagonist – the multiplayer campaign kinda left an opening for that, with all those new test subjects being found.

• Dances to Podcasts says:

This time Gordon Freeman gets stuck inside.

10. Biggus_Dikkus says:

Witcher 4

11. satan says:

Dawn of War 3, Saints Row 5 & the next Elder Scrolls game (my money is on Elsweyr).

12. Didero says:

Don’t even mention Mirror’s Edge 2 or Beyond Good & Evil 2 without some news!
    I don’t want to get my hopes up for nothing :(

13. kud13 says:

I have basically no hype, since there’s been so many good games coming out this year, and I. Expect Witcher 3 will take me a good half a year to get through alone.

But if I were to dream:
    -bring back Prey 2
    -please let Mirror’s Edge 2 be good
    -Beyond Good and Evil 2

• kud13 says:

Oh, and since Squeeenix is doing a conference: a single-player Legacy of Kain game, pls.

14. iainl says:

In an ideal world? Something that can come out of nowhere with even half the power of No Man’s Sky.

But also?

Some idea of what we’ll be doing in No Man’s Sky other than walking around smiling at cute dinosaurs between flying from one planet to the next.

Red Dead Redemption 2, and not as a console exclusive this time.

Failing that, a reason other than Drive Club or Bloodborne to buy a PS4.

A steering wheel that I can afford yet isn’t rubbish, or at least a modern replacement for the G27.

Microsoft to celebrate Windows 10 coming out by giving that Direct X 12 PC version of Forza 5 they bashed together as a tech demo a public release.

For Fallout 4 to be a smokescreen for a new Elder Scrolls; I just don’t find guns as exciting as swords for some reason.

15. SputnikSweetheart says:

I think just about every game I’ve been interested in has already been announced apart from Dishonoured 2. I’d be happy with seeing that and how Mirror’s Edge 2 is coming along.

Oh, and ya know maybe an announcement for an interesting and original new IP? It could happen.

16. Myrdinn says:

The new Fallout, DUH.

17. skyturnedred says:

Sleeping Dogs 2. Scrap Triad Wars and make a proper sequel.

18. Penguin_Factory says:

DISHONOURED 2. Even just a small tease would make my day.

It would also be nice to get a release date or something for No Man’s Sky, since I recently acquired a PS4.

• egattocs says:

Yes! Both of these would make me happy. Although I’m looking forward to No Man’s Sky for PC rather than PS4 myself.

19. AdventureMode says:

Surprised no one has mentioned it but a Darksiders 3 announcement would be awesome. Also looking forward to hearing some more about the new Overlord spinoff.
    Even though its not PC, I would LOVE to see a new Metroid mentioned.

Thank you for your time.

20. ts061282 says:

Original ideas. With Booth Babes.

21. Ferno says:

“If you are similarly staring out your office window, thinking about not-work”

I have my PhD conversion viva tomorrow yet I struggle to do anything but this.

• SuicideKing says:

Aha! So I shouldn’t feel bad about doing this through the last 4 years of undergrad! :P

22. Volcanu says:

Dawn of War 3 (although the smart money is on any announcement for that coming in the autumn at the soonest).

Other than that- Warhammer Total War not sucking.

Oh and Bloodborne announced for the PC, or failing that (given there’s a cat in hells chance of that happening) a new Souls title.

23. SuicideKing says:

Halo PC Remastered on Steam. I have small, unrealistic dreams.

24. Leonida says:

“If you are similarly staring out your office window, thinking about not-work, then tell us: what are you hoping for from this year’s E3?”

Well, my office doesn’t have a window, so there’s that.
    [sad violing playing in the background]

25. Ejia says:

FO4 is all well and good, but I want TES VI: Elsweyr. Preferrably with unarmed and unarmored back as skills and those Khajit monks casually namedropped by Arnbjorn. What I expect is even fewer skills, though.

Microsoft announcing the Master Chief Collection for PC as a Windows 10 exclusive would also be nice.

Beyond Good and Evil 2? Longshot, but I’d suffer through Uplay for it.

I look forward to Nintendo’s presentation. Hopefully it’s as fun and goofy as last year’s.

• SuicideKing says:

The exclusive part would not be nice, but may be a necessary evil, yes.

burn_heal says:

My hope: Red Dead Redemption 2, announced for consoles AND PC :)

Also, seeing what Arkane Studios are up to would be cool.

27. Yachmenev says:

With Day of the Tentacle: Special Edition, XCOM 2, Fallout 4, a Civ: BE expansion and Deus Ex: Mankind Dividided already announced, I’m not sure what more I can ask for.

28. Wowbagger says:

Inspired by the image in the header – I’m hoping for an adventure starring duckman from Discworld, and possibly his companion foul ol’ Ron.

29. Maxheadroom says:

The rumor that Microsfot bought Silent Hills to be true after all, and their denial was just a fakeout.

(I dont even own an xbox, just think it’s a shame such a promising title will now most likely never see the light of day because of a Konami / Kojima pissing contest)

30. Dorga says:

Last year E3, like all E3s actually, was meh; Venus Patrol conference on the other hand was a complete blast, so I’m looking forward to that.

31. mrwonko says:

Now that I think about it, I believe I’m most interested in what Nintendo will have to show. I’m quite interested in getting a Wii U since it so nicely complements the PC with its exclusives, so it’ll be nice to know what’s in store for it in the future.

Oh, and while we’re in console land: Let’s see if the PS4 will get any more interesting exclusives, Bloodborne alone is not quite enough reason to get one, to me.

Besides that, I suppose I’d appreciate a Half-Life 3 announcement, obviously. Or really any game from Valve, recently they’ve only been talking about hardware and Source 2 and streaming and Steam and VR and really a lot of things now that I think about it but no games.

32. raiders says:

i just want unlimited info on Blood Bowl 2 & Fallout 4.

33. Fnord73 says:

Im hoping there will finally be reactive games. Where if I tinker around and do fetchquests and rest every 40 minutes, the evil forces actually do dynamic things and the plot moves in a different direction. Instead of the old you-make-choices tree of Mass Effect etc, a dynamic world where things happen or not in realtime. The illusion of the functioning world that nearly only Crusader King and Mount and Blade captures.

34. Lionmaruu says:

I only really wanted a new fallout so I can just rest now, happy…

the new xcom is also welcome news.

Thulsa Hex says:

I’m always excited about what Nintendo is going to show. The Wii U and 3DS have been faithful companions over the past couple of years.

As far as PC goes, a new Deus Ex and XCOM have me pretty sated to be honest, but surprises are always nice. Maybe Doom will be good? I’m mildly interested in Fallout 4 but I always get sick of Bethesda games well before I finish them (big, beautiful open spaces filled with the blandest NPC encounters around — an RPG without humanity is one without motivation, for me).

Big, “Holy crap!”, pie in the sky announcement tiny rays of hope:

Half-Life 3
    Beyond Good & Evil 2
    Bloodborne PC (I know…)

And, honestly… What I would really love is for Konami/Kojima to announce a PC version of Metal Gear Solid HD collection/legacy collection (but who knows what their deal is now). I’ve not played MGS 3, MGS 4 and Peace Walker, due to never owning Sony systems and I’m done buying stuff for my decrepit Xbox 360. I’ve resigned myself to probably having to borrow a PS3 if I want to play MGS 4, but with the latest game en route to PC, it would be lovely to have access to the other main entries in the series — especially the Big Boss stuff.

36. Vacuity729 says:

I want the whole main hall to break into a spontaneous song-and-dance routine on the first day.

I hope that during the second day, it becomes normal for attendees to smile and hug each other when they meet and part and each and every attendee reaches enlightenment by the end of the day.

I dream that on the third and final day, the entire industry concedes that the practice of “exclusive” pre-order bonuses is a shitty practice and consigns it to the waste bin of history.

Ach. Damn it, it was all so realistic until the third day.

37. Rodman1_r2 says:

I want to hear and see stuff about the HTC Vive.

38. cristoffson says:

I would kill for confirmation that The Witness will come out this year. It feels like I’ve waiting forever. I have the Witcher 3 to entertain me until then, hopefully.

39. Skyhigh says:

I would find it cool if TaleWorlds would show more of “Mount & Blade: Bannerlord”.
    Not sure they will be attending though.

40. melnificent says:

No man’s sky and the division being shown last year and still not released has dampened my enthusiasm for e3.

So I would settle for the games being shown being released within 6 months of whatever is announced.

Iamblichos says:

Hopefully we will get some real meat around No Man’s Sky; release dates, actual sense of gameplay, ANYTHING… throw us a bone, people. A couple of 5 minute clips of ships flying around and constant drooling media faux-views does not a game make.

42. cooldudeachyut says:

A new Devil May Cry, Splinter Cell and Assassin’s Creed is all I want.

43. Ben Barrett says:

Got that “big year” feeling. Not sure why. Think a few things will come out of nowhere, plus tonnes of franchise sequels – Fallout, Doom and all the usuals (CoD, AssCreed), then the new stuff that everyone’s wondering what the sequels will be like, Titanfall, Watch_Dogs and so on.

Or, it’ll be shite. That’d be quite fun as well.

44. particlese says:

Rationally, I’m guess I’m most looking forward to seeing how AMD’s new video card fares. I hope no super-interesting games are announced for release this year so I don’t get antsy until after AMD starts talking about their next video generation and, more critically, their next CPU generation. Basically, I really want to support the chronic underdog, but I’d have difficulty choosing to go with AMD’s kit at the moment, when it comes down to it.

Irrationally, there’s still a possibility that Bethesda has holed up a second army of developers in a vault somewhere to work on TES6, so I’m hoping for that to be announced at E3. Cherry picked from this article and it’s comments are: any juicy bits at all regarding Deus Ex: Manchester United (henceforth being misread as Mankind Dividends, thanks to this article), No Man’s Sky, and, despite loathing EA’s businessness, Mirror’s Edge 2 and Mass Effect 4.

• particlese says:

Oh, yeah, and someone mentioned Metroid, so I’ll be properly giddy about the prospects of that and Xenoblade Chronicles X now, despite not yet owning a Wii U.

Oh! And I think I read Nintendo is doing some mysterious repositioning, so I’m hoping they crash AMD’s PC party to announce official Dolphin support, an official Wii U emulator, and that their next “platform” is really just a purple Steam Machine with a handle and a touchscreen.

45. PancakeWizard says:

Honestly, without Nintendo e3 just doesn’t get me excited. I don’t think I’ve gotten hyped over a PC release from e3 for a long time.

46. Hebrind says:

1) Hoping for some kind of Mass Effect announcement, because best game series ever imho (don’t argue with me, I’m wearing blinkers on this!)

2) The Division, because if that plays anything like it looks so far, it’ll be GOTY. But, it’s Ubidoob, so probably Watch_Dogs: Tactical Edition which would be a shame.

3) Fallout 4, obviously, but I really hope that with it being a Bethesda iteration, it’s not going to be just an upgrade of the Elder Scrolls V engine (Creation, I believe?)

Here’s hoping there’s some nice surprises :)

47. Hedgeclipper says:

“What action game are 2K working on now that Evolve is out and BioShock is dormant?”
    Evolve 2(K): More Evolved

“What are Rockstar’s many studios making now Grand Theft Auto 5 is out on all platforms?”
    Traffic cones for GTA 6 (PS and XBox only, PC needs traffic cones with enhanced cylinderism)

2 MOBAs, 1 WOW-killer, 16 free to play microtransaction platforms, Women’s Hurling 2016 and a couple of others, unfortunately they’re all behind because the EA execs had to pull the devs off to help them set more money alight.

Good question

Will Valve hahahahha?
    There should only be three ‘ha’s” in that question

48. The Ultimate Clone of The Ultimate Warrior says:

I’m hoping for the unlikely re-release of Shenmue on PC, A new KotOR, A new (proper) Legacy of Kain Sequel, A Final Fantasy VI remake for PC, Beyond Good and Evil 2, Silent Hills, and a proper Warhammer 40’000 RPG.

49. Grundlegratch says:

Holy cats! I made an account just to ask this: What is that painting called, and where is it from? I have the exact same one hanging in my house, but I have no idea where it comes from.

50. Greggh says:

WORLD PEACE
    (i.e. XCOM3 – Peace Within announced)