Picboy: Here’s A Fallout 4 Annotated Gallery For You

There was a trailer for a new videogame today. The internet seemed quite taken with it. We don’t actually know much about Fallout 4 at this stage, but I went through the trailer scene by scene to see what confirmations and implications I could glean from it. 40-odd screengrabs below, with annotation wibble for each. Click on any one of them for a 1080p version and gallery thinger (though bear in mind they’re grabs from a trailer so aren’t exactly After Eight-crisp.)

Here’s the trailer if you missed it.

Now, let’s go go screenshots:

The song at the start, It’s All Over But The Crying, by the Inkspots (the 1930s group whose I Don’t Want To Set The World On Fire was used in Fallout 3 promotion). Here’s the full version:

Nuclear death puns abound – check out the television name and the boardgame. Did these people really have no idea what was about to happen to them.

What’s that, Lassie? The entire country has collapsed into a post-nuclear wasteland? What a lustrous coat you have, though.

This shiny household robot will almost certainly attack you later on, as per usual.

Aw, ickle doggy has empathy for long-dead human overlords.

As a father am I outraged by the implications of this scene and will be writing to my local MP forthwith.

Here’s our first look at the old wasteland. Looks pretty suburban, this bit.

And, juat like that, colour. So much colour. Those who struggled with Fallout 3’s infinite sea of brown and grey might be tempted back, presuming the colours aren’t restricted to flashback scenes like this.

…Because the game’s present day definitely looks like Brown Skyrim here.

And this looks like someone made an Archie mod for Skyrim.

This time we’re going to be a pilgrim from Vault 111, it appears.

Potentially this will be our first sight once we’re let out of the vault, presumably after an extremely long-winded and heavily scripted tutorial section which someone will mod out within a matter of hours.

When The Bombs Fell. Have we actually seen the fall of America in a Fallout game before? And are we going to get to relive it somehow, or is this just Fancy Promotional Gubbins?

My screenshot order got jumbled here, so we’ve skipped ahead to a view of what will presumably be a major hub settlement, which a later shot shows to be named Diamond City.

A vast iron settlement, a little reminiscent of the waterbound one in Fallout 3. Expect trouble if you try to talk through that gate without buttering up the right people first, no doubt.

Trolleys confirmed. Quite deadly trolleys, potentially.

Now: will we get to fly this thing? Given the Dragonborn expansion for Skyrim introduced the idea of airborne travel across Bethesda’s open worlds, I don’t entirely see why not. And that is a most tantalising prospect.

Some manner of new mutant, a sort of dinosaur-sheep.? Update: oh sorry, it’s a returning Deathclaw.

Signs of green life in the wasteland. Has the timeline moved forwards, is the tech getting better, or are the artists wanting more room for manoeuvre this time?

A somewhat coastal feel to this scene. It’s brown, yes, but it suggests more visual variety.

Aha, now this is promising. We’re clearly looking at the game’s post-apocalyptic present-day rather than a flashback, but there’s tons of colours there. Paint, clearly, can survive the end of the world, and thank goodness for that.

Plenty of implications of terrible things here – cages and skeletons and sinister men.

I’m guessing this is a Brahmin, although I can’t spy the second head. Tons of detail here compared to Fallout 3, at any rate.

And… Fallout does BioShock, by way of Moonwalker. This is the most exciting shot as far as I’m concerned: a big departure, a hefty slice of Noirish cool, plenty of colour.

All sorts going on here – an old ship with rocket engines fitted to it and a bank in its underbelly. Strange and unpredictable visual flair like this is what I want.

More trashed Boston skyline.

A zeppelin! More implications of flight. They wouldn’t just make that stuff background scenery, would they?

Mr Dog is back, red bricks are still red, Nuka Cola still abounds.

A Brotherhood of Steel-style suit seems to be mid-construction here. I wonder if this implies heightened crafting in Fallout 4, given the next shot vaguely imply the garage this is being built in is some sort of base for the player.

Blue skies. Oh yes, oh yes please. Colour and lighting: adventure rather than mere squalor.

And here’s how Fallout 4’s Pipboy will look. It’s almost as ostentatious as an iWatch.

But can you play as the dog?

It says PC down there on the lower right, just in case you were worried. Hooray!

More to come at Bethesda’s E3 conference on June 14, basically. What do you want to hear/see/have roundly disconfirmed?

Top comments

1. Bing_oh says:

I'm going to guess that the "vast iron settlement" is (a very secure) Fenway Park from the baseball statue in front. And the "old ship with rocket engines" looks like a modified Old Ironsides...the USS Constitution prepped for a little airborne broadside against them pesky post-apocalyptic Redcoats!
  1. Jiskra says:

first thing i noticed was serious lack of HairFX, or any fur what so ever on that dog …

• BobbyDylan says:

Yeah, a lot of the textures are quite poor. I thought the dude’s hand was made out of plastic.

• Zenicetus says:

The baby in the crib is the worst. It looks like a slug with baby eyes.

• Razgovory says:

Shouldn’t have the baby on it’s back like that.

• Zenicetus says:

And the slats in the side of the crib are way too wide.

• madmad says:

Thats how SIDS happens. You’ll kill yur babeh.

• Tripkebab says:

Erm, hope you guys dont have kids, sids happens if the baby is NOT on its back. I.e. on its front or side as there is a greater risk of suffocation.

Second time i’ve seen such a comment in a week really makes me worry about some people!

• OmNomNom says:

Well this is almost definitely an evolved GameBryo engine (Fallout, Skyrim) so don’t expect any miracles.
        I’d rather they concentrated on making the game great, modders can fix the graphics later.

• Lenderz says:

I always enjoy the world and feel of fallout games ands its totally not about the graphics, however is it just me or does it feel like they’ve not taking a substantial step forward since fallout 3? It looks like something which would have been possible in that engine and probably is with mods rather than a game coming out 7 years later.

Perhaps its just that the Witcher has spoiled me this year with its breathtaking beauty and art design.

That said if the stories and questing are stonking I don’t care what it looks like, I still play some Fallout 2 now.

• omf says:

Yes, I’m surprised that the graphics don’t look substantially better than FO3/NV. Still, all will be forgiven if the story is done correctly.

• revan says:

I suspect they’ve started working full time on this the moment they were done with Skyrim – same way they did with that game after finishing Fallout 3 – and this is just modified engine from Skyrim. It’s not truly next generation game. I don’t mind, actually. Fallout was never about graphics for me. It’s all about atmosphere of its world.

• zentropy says:

Sir, please explain what a “truly next generation game” is.

• revan says:

zentropy, I meant in the console sense. It could probably run on Xbox 360 or PS3 as well. I know there are no pesky ‘generations’ for us PC folks, but since we’ll have to suffer console quirks (inventory etc.) even on PC, I’ve deigned to make the above comment.

• Fushigi says:

Those ridiculous “next generation” blokes just make me angry. Arghhh. Why are you not next generation, huh? Why are all the latest movies are not next generation? What the bloody hell? Fallout 2 is one of the best RPGs ever made. Why it’s still not next generation?

• Bluestormzion says:

Graphics… graphics never changes…

gritz says:

“Next Generation” still has meaning for PC games graphics, separate from console iterations. There’s a reason tech sites don’t benchmark with 5 year old games. Like it or not, we have a cutting edge “generation” right now, including TW3, Project Cars, Cities Skylines, and GTA5. Even though these have console ports, they represent the absolute bleeding edge for graphics in PC gaming (and thus gaming in general).

Fallout 4 does not appear to be in the same ballpark, unfortunately.

• revan says:

Fushigi, my thoughts exactly. I’m having a blast still playing two original Fallout game, Arcanum, Serpent in the Staglands and other recent spate of kickstarted old school cRPG. Oh, and I’ve just discovered Underrail. What a great game. Graphics mean virtually nothing to me if the content is good and you can truly role play your character.

• ribby says:

Got Fallout 3 a few weeks ago and I think this looks loads better than it does. Are you sure you’re not misremembering?

• Bluestormzion says:

I’m sure it’s just that it doesn’t look like the game’s graphics engine was made to take advantage of all the new hardware. Which, if you ask me, is fine. Why waste another year making a brand new graphics engine when you can fancy up the perfectly acceptable Skyrim engine and Fall Out all over it? Frankly, I’d be just fine and dandy if they decide to make a new Fallout game a’la New Vegas with the same engine every two and a half years, maybe get 4 games out of each graphics engine.

Also, is it wrong that I feel more excited anticipating Obsidian re-licensing the Fallout universe a year or two after this comes out to make another thing as good as New Vegas was? I mean, I loved, LOVED Fallout 3. But I felt like New Vegas was 3x as good as Fallout 3 was. Will Fallout 4’s spinoff “Fallout Wisconsin” be even better??? I KNOW it will be!

• fish99 says:

If you haven’t played them for a while you may not be aware of just how bad F3/NV look now. They don’t even have environmental shadows, only characters/enemies cast shadows. And they have a lot less detail than shown in that F4 trailer. They haven’t aged well.

• Zenicetus says:

It’s not just the Witcher 3 effect though. Other games I’ve played recently like Wolfenstein New Order didn’t have Witcher 3 level eye candy. But it didn’t look like it was made 7 years ago either.

The graphics they’re showing here aren’t terrible, and it’s helped by the lighting in the one “noir” shot. Maybe there will be more of that. A good story and acceptable combat mechanics would sell me, regardless.

I’m mainly worried that this means we’ll walk into a city square that’s supposedly populated, and we will see less than a dozen people in that whole area, because that’s all the engine can support. Skyrim has that problem too. There’s no excuse for that, when so many other games have figured out how to show larger numbers of NPC’s in an area.

• fish99 says:

I’m sure a large part of that was because of the 512mb combined ram on the old consoles. Thankfully this is coming to PS4/Xbone/PC only.

• Zenicetus says:

I’m no game graphics expert, but I suspect it was an engine limitation more than available RAM. I remember being amazed at the large NPC crowd scenes in Assassin’s Creed 2, and that ran on PS3 and XBox 360. The Witcher 2 was also a previous-gen game, and it was able to show a good number of soldiers in the camp areas. Gamebryo (if that’s what this is) just seems to have a big problem with NPC numbers.

The Fallout series has a potential escape clause for that, being a post-apocalypse survival game. Maybe there just aren’t that many people left. But if that’s the case, then they shouldn’t write settings where you’re supposed to believe there are more people hanging around, like pretty much all of Las Vegas core in NV. Those near-empty casinos and downtown streets looked ridiculous.

• hamburger_cheesedoodle says:

It’s not an engine limitation. There is a mod for F:NV called Populated Casinos that makes the casinos feel less like weird deserted ghost town areas, and the number of people it adds is more than the entire population of most cities in Skyrim, all in one cell.

In every DLC patch for that game as well, generic NPCs were removed from the world, as adding new content to the game put it over budget for memory limits on consoles. There are patches to restore those NPCs as well. I’m sure Gamebryo doesn’t handle NPCs as well as a real game engine, but it’s definitely possible to have more than the paltry few that that have been in past games.

• TacticalNuclearPenguin says:

Yes, but a comparison with TW3 is possible as they both are open world, with other games not so much.

Plus, don’t get accustomed to TW3’s graphics as you might not see them again in a long while when it comes to other open world games. A comparison with GTA5 would be a little more fair, and yes, sadly even in this case FO4 is not that impressive still.

Eitherway, it’s a definite step up even from Skyrim ( vanilla ), which sounds decent enough in my book.

• Zenicetus says:

Watching the trailer a second time, I could get used to the graphics.

But I’m still wondering if they’ll be able to show a believable number of NPC’s in the supposedly populated areas, since their last games failed in that respect. Skyrim had good-looking outdoor areas, but every village and town looked like a plague had taken out 95% of the population.

• Fushigi says:

Thank super-user they have this level of detail and this “oh so not next generation” graphics. Whiners can shut up already and accept that much more people will be able to run this on their “not next generation” PCs.

• montorsi says:

Not sure if satire. Witcher 3 looks substantially worse than many titles released in the previous six months. Holy shit the cardboard looking vegetation could have come straight out of Fallout 2.

• Binho says:

I think it’s also worth remembering that unlike Witcher 3 and GTA V, In Bethesda open world games you can physically interact with almost every single object (think pot on head in Skyrim). I have a sneaking suspicion that is where a lot of processing power goes to.

Crowds might be a gameplay decision. Most NPC’s are named and are entities with daily schedules, not objects that only spawn when the player approaches. I agree this makes the worlds feel depopulated though.

I actually think it looks pretty good! They definitely improved the lighting, looks like they might even have impleneted PBR.

There is nothing wrong with updating older game engines either. I’m sure Unreal and Cryengine still use a lot of code from multiple years ago. I’m actually glad Bethesda don’t reinvent the wheel for each game. Personally, I think Gamebryo gets too much bad rep.

Lastly, if anything Bethesda deserve credit for launching an announcement teaser that is actually a trailer with in game footage, and not a pointless 5 second CGI cutscene announcing the real announcement date!!

• Geebs says:

Yeah, I don’t think the Gamebryo-obsessives haven’t considered the massive modding community Bethesda games automagically develop with each new release, precisely because there are a lot of people who know how to mod with their tools.

Meanwhile, most of the newer and shinier effects in games are post-processed, and can very easily be swapped in and out of a pipeline with just a shader and a couple of frame buffers.

I get the impression that the huge crowds in AssCreed or Hitman look fine when you’re running past them in third person, but wouldn’t hold up under higher scrutiny; they’re more like particle effects than game entities.

gritz says:

If by “interact” you mean clumsily drag things around and hope Havok doesn’t send everything flying in random directions, perhaps.

• Reefpirate says:

I don’t see why any of that wouldn’t fall under the umbrella of ‘interact’.

• Binho says:

I’m not saying the interaction is the best…but games like Witcher 3, AssCreed, GTA, Dragon Age, whatever don’t have wonky physics because they barely have *any* physics. And when they do, it’s not like it’s honestly much better. Physics in games is still hella wonky.

• dahools says:

I’m sure Rex FX or K9 works will be in the next trailer.

No real developer would turn down a bunch of cash and the chance to alienate half their customer base in one swift action. ;)

• Nibblet says:

Inbetween the terrible textures and the dog clearly floating above ground in that one screenshot, i fear there is a real possibility that they *shudder* may be using the gamebryo engine agin.

2. vorador says:

Erm, the “dinosaur-sheep” is a Deathclaw.

Well, hoping it’s released this year. While i’m in no lack of open-world RPGs, Fallout 3 was released in 2008. It’s about time.

• Tacroy says:

I looked it up earlier, and generally Bethsoft releases these games about a year after they’re announced. The pattern held for Skyrim, Fallout 3, and Oblivion.

• Raoul Duke says:

RPS seems to have a weird aversion to, and lack of knowledge about, Fallout.

Here we have a detailed commentary by someone who doesn’t instantly recognise a deathclaw and who wants Fallout to be “colourful” for reasons I don’t fully understand.

It’s a post-apocalyptic RPG… it’s supposed to be brown and grey and grim. There are loads of other games if you want happy colourful fun times.

Another nitpick is that there seems to be an assumption that power armour = Brotherhood of Steel, when that is not necessarily the case. Power armour was a military item pre-war and is used by many factions:

link to fallout.wikia.com

As for the “Moonwalker” scene, that’s my least favourite. It looks like an attempt to ape Bioshock, but throwing in some good old fashion Hollywood orange and teal for good measure: link to theabyssgazes.blogspot.com.au

• OmNomNom says:

Well it’s not DOTA2…

• Zallgrin says:

The “it’s supposed to look grey/brown” argument works on the assumption that everyone wants for the image of apocalypse to stay the same for the next two centuries. I loved that Last of Us embraced the idea of a green, flourishing apocalypse, and I also love the brown wastelands of old Fallouts.

I think there is room for more than one kind of apocalypse, therefore I see both sides of the argument.

• dethtoll says:

I was okay with FO3 being green and brown and FONV being orange and blue. I accept those as artistic decisions. But yes, more color is just fine by me.

3. giggskadabra says:

the guys holding people back are enclave troops in power armor by the looks of it the games gonna have lots of enclave stuff in it

• omf says:

Wasn’t the Enclave strictly post-apocalypse? That looks like a pre-apocalyspe scene, which would simply make them U.S. troops, no?

• Bing_oh says:

The Enclave is essentially the remnants of the pre-war Federal government, but I’m relatively sure that they’re not “then Enclave” per se until after the war. There were models/displays of Vertibirds in one of the museums in Fallout 3 that indicates that they were being used by the military before the bombs dropped and power armor was used to re-take Alaska from the Chinese before things went nuclear, so it’s more likely that we’re looking at just soldiers preventing a Vault from being overrun by panicked civilians as the bombs start dropping.

• Solidstate89 says:

The Enclave existed before the bombs dropped, but they were a shadow organization. I doubt they’d be out in the open like that.

Those are definitely U.S. soldiers. Probably just got back from “pacifying” Canada.

• Jason Moyer says:

Yeah, they’re just US troops.

• montorsi says:

It’s a bit odd seeing people cite groups that formed post-Apocalypse. Did you guys not play the games? These people gathered up and overhauled existing old tech, like the armor you see in the video. They weren’t the authorities in power before the war.

• Bing_oh says:

Well…kinda. The Enclave has been established as being the remnants of the old US Government and megacorps (or at least, that’s how they portray themselves) and the Brotherhood of Steel was supposed to have been established from the pre-war military.

• Treymoney says:

Vertibirds, too.

4. RedViv says:

As a fan of more noir/pulp types of cyberpunky stuff, I am liking the lighting and general aesthetic of that one scene. As a fan of more noir/pulp types of cyberpunky stuff, as well as the Fallout series, I am scared of the Bethesda writers.

But the lighting. Yay. Finally actual pretties! Without mods!

• Kaeoschassis says:

I am more than a little disappointed (and nervous) that Obsidian won’t be writing this one, but I’m not going to panic just yet. Skyrim’s characters might not be anything special but it has a lot of really fun storylines going on throughout it. That, at least, is something.

Will I fall in love over and over like I did in NV? Probably not. But I suspect it’ll still be a blast.

5. fco says:

fallout engine, fallout engine never changes…

• omf says:

• Raoul Duke says:

I assume this means we will still have the dreaded microstutter that plagued Oblivion, FO3, FONV and Skyrim.

I wish Bethesda would just accept reality and move to the new Unreal Engine or similar. Games don’t have to have hideous textures and plastic character models in 2015.

6. Bing_oh says:

I’m going to guess that the “vast iron settlement” is (a very secure) Fenway Park from the baseball statue in front. And the “old ship with rocket engines” looks like a modified Old Ironsides…the USS Constitution prepped for a little airborne broadside against them pesky post-apocalyptic Redcoats!

• Erithtotl says:

Yes the old ship is definitely the USS Constitution. Interesting choice to set the game in Boston. Can only assume there’s going to be some tie ins to Patriots/Revolutionary War.

Really liked the trailer, thought the game looks fantastic and definitely some variety in the setting.

It’s a little strange seeing a Fallout game presented in an ‘Epic’ style trailer rather than the usual ominous/melancholy way it usually is. Nice thing about The Ink Spots is that pretty much every song starts with nearly the same chord progression, so they can use them for every game without duplicating songs lol.

• Smashbox says:

Recognized from the trailer: Paul Revere statue, Fenway Park, USS Constitution, Scollay Square, Mass. State House

Boston area for certain!

• danlock says:

It’s a lot easier for a studio based in Bethesda, MD (or thereabouts) to more accurately and less-expensively reproduce parts of the world–even imaginary futures based on a sensationalized real past–that are closer to their home base. Less travel time, fewer Nuka-Cola caps spent, etc., mean more budget for making a better game. Or a smaller total cost in the end period, which will lead to more detail, higher-quality DLC, or maybe instead the only difference will be higher-paid voice actors in this title, which is probably going to be a huge hit.

I hope usability and gameplay improvements are higher priority than more expensive voice-over actors, personally. The trailer suggests that Ron Perlman is in already, but that’s pretty much a given for a Fallout franchise game. My opinion is beginning to digress from the formerly-more-cohesive text, so this I’ll be ending it now.

Solrax says:

Not recognized from the trailer – mountains surrounding Boston. Sure we have some hills N and E, but nothing like in those shots. Maybe their engine is incapable of *not* rendering mountains?

• EighthNote says:

Those landmarks made me so excited! I’m from Boston; my family are huge Revolutionary War history nuts (they do reenactments and everything!) so I’ve been to those landmarks many times.

7. dangermouse76 says:

If it’s the same engine I do hope they dealt with the not so great animations and VAC cutscenes, I enjoy the games but they can be janky as hell.

8. Ejia says:

So, it’s Gamebryo again is it? You’d think that owning id (that… is still a weird phrase) would mean some cross-sharing of tech. Oh well.

• Tycow says:

It’s proven (but creaky) tech that works on the consoles.

• omf says:

It hardly worked on the consoles, tbh. FO3/NV had widely-reported instances of crashes and freezes on both PS3 and X360. It was plenty buggy on PC, too, but at least that has the advantage of easier/cheaper to deploy patches.

• Tycow says:

Oh, I agree entirely. I was hamfistedly saying that they know the console hardware is capable of playing the game engine (despite the mountains of bugs) and that saves developing a shinier engine that probably wouldn’t work as well. My bad!

• Lenderz says:

7 Years since Fallout 3, and the engine has generated all the money with Skyrim also using the tech, you’d think they’d have enough time and money to invest in something that looks like its ‘new’ at least.

• Tycow says:

That’d be nice. :'(

• vorador says:

That would require some programming skills.

Something that Bethesda lacks.

9. Solidstate89 says:

That’s not the Brotherhood of Steel, pre-war. Those are probably just U.S. Army soldiers that are protecting the Vault.

10. Penguin_Factory says:

I really like how the game is way more colourful this time, even in the wasteland. Fallout 3 and New Vegas were just so god damn dull to look at.

11. aliksy says:

Mildly interested!

I hope the combat is something I like. I sometimes had issues with Fallout New Vegas where I’d shoot a guy in his soft, unprotected face but he’d just get angry instead of falling over. I guess that’s a video game trope, but it really ruins my immersion when it happens so blatantly. At least it was fixable with mods.

12. DavidP says:

The Vast Iron Settlement is definitely Fenway Park. You can tell by the color of the structure and you can see one of the light tower structures top middle of the pic. The Zepplin shot is over what is now the Public Garden because that George Washington statue is at one end of the Garden.

13. King_Rocket says:

The biggest takeaway for me is that the protagonist will have spoken dialog, a first for a Fallout game.

• MrFinnishDude says:

maybe its just for trailer purposes?

• montorsi says:

We don’t even know that it’s the protagonist. It could be one of the first NPC’s we run into. Or one of the last. Who knows?

• skyturnedred says:

Sounds like Troy Baker, so fully voiced dialogue for player characters is certainly a possibility.

• Sebastian says:

I doubt it because Bethesda has always been big on customization and that would just be too damn many voice files.

• Yglorba says:

Not necessarily. Mass Effect and Saint’s Row have both proven that it’s possible (part of the beauty of Saint’s Row is that they manage to make The Boss extremely well-defined while still making it feel like you’re completely customizing them — granted that this is partially because they’re deliberately thumbing their nose at the idea of meaningful ideological / moral choices, which Fallout can’t / shouldn’t do.)

14. Crusoe says:

– I would like the narrator to be silent, to be able to have my player character be a man or woman (the voiced protagonist in the teaser terrifies me)

– I would like to be able to play the story without being forced to treat the and work with the Brotherhood of Steel as if they are the only hope for all mankind.

– Less black and white morality, more ‘grey’ areas, ala New Vegas.I don’t believe for a moment that Bethesda haven’t had this hammered home in forums across the net since F3, and especially since Obsidian outclassed them so comepletely with New Vegas.

– A challenging experience

– The return of The ‘Republic Of Dave’-esque oddities.

– Well, Alec mentioned flight, and so now I want flight! It could work as a superb alternative to fast travel. I would like it to be quite costly, opened up in the mid to late game, and limited between major hubs.

• SomeDuder says:

“War. War never changes.” was also muttered in the intro of FO3, so no idea where you’re getting the angst from.

• Amstrad says:

The bit at the end where the presumed protagonist in the 111 jumpsuit speaks to his dog companion is worrying.

• Universal Quitter says:

Assuming they ditch the silent protagonist, which is still a pretty big assumption as far as I’m concerned, you really don’t think they’d land someone like Mark Meer or Nolan North by launch?

• LionsPhil says:

>New Vegas
      >morally gray
      >HURR HURR ROMANS TIME TO EXECUTE THESE WEAKLINGS CACKLE CACKLE EVIL DEEP VOICE

Obsidian are deeply, deeply overrated.

• colw00t says:

Ouch! I cut myself on your edge, there.

• fish99 says:

While the Legion may have been stereotypical tribal bad guys (although at least the game gave you the option of joining them if you wanted) the other factions were more complex. House and the NCR both had their own agendas and you had the option to reject them both and make Vegas independent. And whichever you picked there were good and bad consequences. It’s more options than most games give you, and way more interesting than the rebellion crap in Skyrim.

• Andrew says:

True, but to see the moral ambiguity at the end, the game basically scrolled credits for you. It didn’t really show you how things were ambiguous. Anyway. What I’m really hoping for is interactivity and responsiveness. Do something, and it has a major effect. F3’s Broken Steel was the best at this, really changing the game world on the basis of your actions. But really, that should be in the game proper, not in something you buy as an extra.

• LionsPhil says:

From what I remember of the credits roll (and having a quick skim-check through someone’s YouTube compilation), spoilers, everything turns out pretty much peachy with NCR, and…not so much with the others.

There’s also a real narrative problem with the “independent” what-happens being a credits reel wrap-up, since the whole point of that ending is that the major force of the area is under player agency. It’s telling you what you then go on to do—quite possibly badly inconsistently with the character you were roleplaying—rather than what forces you backed but ultimately don’t have the power to control went on to do.

• CrookedLittleVein says:

I’m could be misremembering but I’m sure some of the Obsidian crew that worked on the game felt they’d made the Legion too evil, but whatever the case it is a step up from F3 and Bethesda in general. All morality aside, the quantity and quality of choices differs dramatically between games.

In F3 you can side with the gleaming knights who want to protect the weak and bring water to the wasteland but they’re kinda stuffy or the orcs/evil knights, who either want to make more orcs or kill everyone in the wasteland for being a mutant. Well, less side with the bad guys as be a random dick because “reasons”.

In NV you can side with the isolated former industrialist who wants to write the next page in the future of humanity, but he’s kinda an ego-maniacal dick or you can side with the group trying to rebuild civilization and spread democracy, but they’re an expansionist power hamstrung by their own bureaucracy, or you can join the Luddites who own the least crime ridden areas and believe in a robust system of heavily enforced laws, but they’re also misogynistic bullies ruled by a vicious dictator or you can give them all the finger to claim New Vegas for yourself, but the wasteland is a chaotic place and things may very well fall apart quite quickly.

I’d say Obsidian are largely underrated in the wider gaming community but mostly rated just about right in “gamer” circles.

• montorsi says:

Yes, most of us find their infatuation with their own writing and insistence on ignoring game technology utterly baffling. Let’s have another exciting war that involves eight NPCs, guys!

• CrookedLittleVein says:

I don’t think it’s fair to lambaste Obsidian for doing their best with an outdated engine pushed on them by Bethesda.

• Marclev says:

Been a while since I played it, but wasn’t there a robot you could side with (can’t remember though what his motivation was)?

• CrookedLittleVein says:

Yeah, that’s the independent ending. SPOILERS – You use Yes Man (as the name implies, he doesn’t really have a motive of his own) to help you arrange matters and after seizing New Vegas he’s upgraded to take orders only from the Courier.

• LionsPhil says:

That was the “give everyone the finger” option, since it was supposed to be completely, helplessly loyal toward you. It was also “the default ending if you go on a killing spree and piss everyone off”, kind of like DX: Invisible War’s Omar ending. (Which beats contortions to make people invulnerable or inaccessible, in my book.)

Godwhacker says:

It’d be really nice if they could just make a break from the past and do a Fallout game without the Brotherhood of Steel, Dogmeat, Deathclaws, Mr Handy, Super Mutants etc. In Fallout 3 you could put it down to nostalgia, but bringing them back for this one is just plain lazy

• Ryuuga says:

Damn, this is spot on. Here’s to something new!

• skalpadda says:

I had my hopes up when I heard rumours of Boston as the setting, since it’s the home of the Institute, where research has continued after the war and there are all sort of interesting things they could do with that. Nothing much to be excited about in the trailer (at least some of the environments looked cool), but I’ll hold on to some hope that we might see some new and interesting things in the game.

• montorsi says:

So you want a non-Fallout game. That’s reasonable, just not terribly likely to happen I suspect.

• Boosterh says:

Like Montorsi said, the Fallout setting and its characters are pretty well established. Without them, it isn’t “Fallout” it is just “Generic Post-Nuclear Apocalypse.” The only way I could see it happening is to radically change the location of the game. Fallout: Beijing, anyone?

• Poison_Berrie says:

Really?
          What makes the Fallout setting more, I think, is the 1950 future gone (post-)apocalyptic and the Vault-Tec vaults.

The point is that considering most of those faction originated on the other side of the country and should have pretty low numbers (both on the East and West coast), their presence in every other part of the country is nonsense.
          The country is big enough for them to not be somewhere and ideas for new factions can easily be grounded in the location you are playing, with these established factions relegated to little more than cameo roles.
          The lack of the 1950 future Americana aesthetic and at least 1 Vault however would make it a generic post-apocalypse

15. anHorse says:

Bethesda evidently still not understanding that Fallout is set a significant time after the apocalypse, not 12 hours

16. omf says:

This trailer is pretty tepid compared to the perfectly-executed FO3 reveal, but I’m looking forward to hearing more.

17. Anthile says:

Ron Perlman said the thing!

18. omf says:

Also: that doesn’t sound like Ron Perlman uttering Fallout’s most famous line, does it? :(

19. forddent says:

I am immensely excited about this game, mostly because oh man look at all the beautiful colors. That and I mean, there’s a dog. Dogs are cool.

Going to give Bethesda the benefit of the doubt and trust they’ve got a female voice actress lined up for the PC as well. My streak of lady Vault Dwellers must continue!

20. Bull0 says:

I’m not normally one to give much of a crap about graphics, but wow… the apocalypse sure ain’t pretty. I hope they’ve spent more time on the quests and story than they have on the visuals.

21. acheron says:

“ruined” Worcester? How could you tell?

22. Andrew says:

And paid mods.

23. Razgovory says:

I wonder the flashbacks have anything to do with the with the “Memory Den” shown in on screen shots.

24. Likethiss says:

That place in the noirish screenshot is called “Memory Den”, and to me the whole trailer and that would suggest you do quite a bit of “time traveling” to the before the nukes world via some drug or so.

25. Stepout says:

“And… Fallout does BioShock, by way of Moonwalker. This is the most exciting shot as far as I’m concerned.”

Agreed, that looks brilliant. I hope they play a bit of it at E3. I would specifically like to see them use VATS to blow something’s head off, because that’s ALWAYS fun times.

26. RProxyOnly says:

“The internet seems quite taken by it.”

HEY ALEC..

Did you actually read any of the comments on your own page that announced the trailer?

90% are negative, with complaints ranging from disappointment in using a 15 year old engine, to “more of the same, that wasn’t really that good in the first place”, to just plain “Mehh..”and everything in between?

The state of so called ‘games journalism” is a dirty mire with you (writers in general) constantly trying to tell us what to think, because your site gets paid to do so… How giving us a surprise.. and maybe giving us the truth at some point.

• colw00t says:

Like a sensible person, he doesn’t read the comments.

The website crashed from over-demand. That’s a pretty reliable metric that The Internet is at least interested in something.

• metric day says:

He’s talking about the internet, not the comments section here. Might want to take your weird crusade elsewhere.

• kament says:

The truth, Carl!

Boy, do people get themselves worked up for the weirdest reasons.

27. firechicago says:

The opening living room scene (including the “Radiation King” brand name) is a direct callback to the original Fallout 1 opening cinematic.

• colw00t says:

As is the Inkspots track. Fallout 1 opens with “Maybe,” although they originally wanted “I Don’t Want To Set The World On Fire” but were unable to license it at the time.

• CutieKnucklePie says:

“I don’t want to set the world on fire” was on F3, I think they are merely changing Inkspots songs every iteration.

• colw00t says:

Yeah, I know, but it was originally INTENDED to be in Fallout 1.

• chargen says:

It was a Simpsons reference from Fallout 1. They kept the Simpsons reference, twice now. Bold.

DantronLesotho says:

Looks like Fenway park, Bunker Hill memorial, the State House, and USS Constitution. As a person who lives in Boston, this is going to be great because I’ll already know how to get around in the game :D

29. Corb says:

Anyone else think the brotherhood of steel plot will have a tie in to Fallout tactics? (the air flotilla and all)

• Kaeoschassis says:

That’s what came to mind, yeah.
      I believe as far as Bethesda are concerned the status of Brotherhood of Steel is “Shakily canon, so long as you squint. Sort of”. Its plot might have been a mess, but there’s a fair few things I’d like to see them do more with.

I for one would be very happy with the BoS having an airship or two. Less happy with them having the giant armada of them Tactics implied they possessed.

30. HazeOfMisery says:

“It seems that the Brotherhood of Steel – or some local equivalent – had some manner of foothold pre-bombs here. Are they stopping these poor shmoes from reaching the fallout shelters?”

Oh boy. I actually made an account just to respond to this.

That is not the BoS nor its “local equivalent”. Thats the US army. Now, if i remember my lore correctly, Power Armor was deployed on US soil after massive riots occured. BoS was started much much later, by members of the US military.

31. Smashbox says:

“Word is that the city shown here is Boston, which suggests at the very least a New England setting for Fallout 4. If it’s doing the State and not just Boston, we Brits can get a kick out visiting Ruined Manchester, Ruined York, Ruined Plymoth and Ruined Worcester (I’m from Worcester in the UK, donchaknow).”

Dude! Manchester’s in New Hampshire, and York’s in Maine!

• MichaelGC says:

I think he’s thinking of the State of New England.

…New England’s a state, right? ;)

32. Stupoider says:

From what I could see the animations are still completely awful and I would hazard a guess that they’re still using ‘modified’ Gamebryo.

While I’m glad there is a bit more colour than was present in FO3 this isn’t inspiring much hope in me at all.

33. Universal Quitter says:

“Nuclear death puns abound – check out the television name”

I always assumed that was a Simpsons reference. Fallout 1 was only a couple of years after the episode that mentioned Homer as a child always “sittin’ in front of the ol’ Radiation King.” There was even a nuclear blast shadow of his silhouette imprinted on the wall, thirty years later, in that episode.

I could also see it as parallel thinking, I guess, but life’s less fun that way..

• LionsPhil says:

As several have pointed out, Fallout had Radiation King sets back then, too:

link to youtube.com

So a Simpsons reference is pretty likely.

• Universal Quitter says:

There it is in all its glory: link to youtube.com

I really like that I mangled the quote. Anyway, who’s to say? Maybe it was a common joke among American baby boomers, maybe not. It makes me smile, regardless.

34. yhancik says:

It’s a bold move to have a canine protagonist in this one

• tharbjules says:

I’ll admit I was hoping that was the case. I felt like it could have been a subtle jab at the idea of player agency and the silent protagonist. I mean… RPGs, ‘fetch quests’, it’s almost too perfect. Part of me hoped that Bethasda had the audacity to call a trough a trough. One can dream.

35. gbrading says:

Few points which other commenters have probably already said before:

* The “Out of the Vault” view doesn’t look particularly impressive. Fallout 3’s is still the best.

* The ship with rockets is almost definitely the USS Constitution, which is anchored in Boston harbour.

All in all looks good; I think graphically it looks fine; the lighting sure has improved. I hope there is varied weather like Skyrim rather than the endless dryness of the Capital Wasteland. Anyway, looking forward to a gameplay demo at Bethesda’s E3 conference.

• buzzmong says:

“* People in power armour before the War almost definitely soldiers of the Enclave. At that time, the Enclave wasn’t overtly known about and they would just have been considered the US Government.”

Actually, no. They’d be rank and file US troops, as the US were using power armour en-mass to retake Alaska and generally wage war according to the lore.

36. kament says:

Obligatory Witcher 3 will still be better comment.

37. Echo_Hotel says:

They’ve done it they’ve finally done it, with the advent of sustainable major cities and the crafting of new original technology (not just modifying or finishing pre-war tech) we have hit Post-Post-Apocalyptic *Pops Champagne*

38. Stinkfinger75 says:

My guess is that Memory Den is going to be used to play the pre-history of the Fallout universe. Just like there was that bit in Fallout 3 where you got to wander around 1950’s America, this is more of that.

39. montorsi says:

Hey, look, graphics someone can actually deliver. I thought that was IMPOSSIBLE. You have to oversell your game or kittens will die!

40. Ed Burst says:

How come no-one post-apocalypse has rediscovered the secret of making paint? Does everything have to be peeling and rusty-looking?

41. CutieKnucklePie says:

The magazine rack has old classics like Grognak the Barbarian as well.

42. zat0ichi says:

I’m a graphics whore
    I’ve been flabbergasted by watch dogs
    Heartbroken by Witcher 3

But I don’t give a shit about the graphics in fallout4
    Any improvements will be appreciated just as long as they keep the feel from the last 2.

43. tnankie says:

New engine please Beth or gtfo. (physics not graphics)

I can’t face the prospect of one more game where picking up an item from a table makes everything else bump/fall off, get lost in the cracks. That may seem petty but its been annoying me since oblivion; now I just can’t face the prospect of dealing with it again.

• Stevostin says:

Exagerating a bit, aren’t we ? It just barely happens like that.

What’s sure is that any RPG that doesn’t allow me to pick/move every item has little appeal to me since Morrowing established this degree of world building as a new standard.

44. Typhoone says:

Perhaps the pre-war scenes are the tutorial missions. Learn how to walk/run to the vault and fight your way through, build your character – roll “war never changes” reel, and drop out into New New England.

45. Bluestormzion says:

Today was a VERY good fallout day. The Fallout 4 trailer is real. My aunts found a nearly 8 foot tall T51-b Power Armor statue for 50 dollars at a garage sale (one was auctioned for $2,700 back in 2011,) and bought it for my cousin. And I just bought myself a set of glow in the dark Nuka Cola props from this dude on Etsy. Mem Props, his thing is called. Got myself a Quantum, a Quartz, a Victory, and a Fusion, all to light up my life/computer room. Yep. I can smile again.

46. racccoon says:

The alsation looked like a pop in CGI addon the hair on the dog needed more spikes, more life, as it was way to smooth and the colour was like it was definatly from another scene! that’s what ruined the video for me.
    Shoot the dog and try again.

47. Stevostin says:

The “noir” guy in trenchcoat may very well be the “Lone Stranger” from the Lone Stranger Perk. If so it’s may not be as much as a theme in the game than something to throw to the fans.

48. Stevostin says:

Apart from that it’s technically very unimpressive, AD is so so which is quite new for a Bethesda game. That tells me they started this long ago with now limiting tools so hopefully it also means a heap of content.

49. Jason Moyer says:

Is it going to be as good as an Obsidian game? Nope. Is it going to be better than anything that comes out the year it’s released? Probably.

50. ts061282 says:

I suppose on the bright side RPS might make enough ad money to compensate for my lapsed subscription.