Buy! Buy! Buy! Buy! Buy! Buy! GOG Summer Sale Now On

Are we playing Mountain again? I'm basically this mysterious night.

New video games, we know, invalidate old video games. GOG were chancing their luck when they launched selling only old games (even proudly advertising that with the name Good Old Games!) but thankfully saw the light. Who’d play a game from 1994 when you can play the Early Access spiritual successor to the reboot of that game’s sequel? A mug, that’s who.

With E3 and its flood of announcements now only two weeks away, current games will soon become old and old games will become decrepit. Wisely, GOG have chosen now to launch their big summer sale and shift a bunch of soon-to-be obsolete games.

It’s the usual digital distribution sale dealio: squillions of discounts, bundles, and all that. New deals will appear everey 12 hours. Head over to GOG to join in the bargain-o-rama.

The opening lineup includes SpaceChem for £0.69, Pathologic for £1.29, Mount & Blade: Warband for £3.19, Botanicula for £1.29, Telltale’s Game of Thrones series down 40% to £13.79, the Baldur’s Gate and Icewind Dale Enhanced Editions all for £15.87, a pair of S.T.A.L.K.E.R.S. for £6.58, and a load of LucasArts adventure games including Sam & Max for £10.83.

It has freebies/bonuses too. Folks who spend at least $1 over the course of the sale will get SimCity 2000 thrown in too, at least $20 gets you S.T.A.L.K.E.R.: Clear Sky (the least-good S.T.A.L.K.E.R., sure, but still!), and $50 will get you the X-COM-y Xenonauts on top of whatever you bought. That’s certainly a simpler way to handle bonuses than the daft challenges and stickers and goodness knows what else Steam does nowadays.

The GOG summer sale will end on June 21st. What catches your eye in the starting lineup, dear reader?

1. HotSake says:

I suppose it’s too early to hope for a Witcher 3 sale anytime soon…

• egattocs says:

Believe it or not, it’s actually on sale with 10% off. I was surprised too!

• welverin says:

It was 10% for preorder, so hardly significant post release. More if you owned the first two games even.

• Xzi says:

Other than the $30-$35 it’s been available for since release via Nvidia codes and the like, I guess.

2. Michael Fogg says:

But the xmas sales seem to have only just ended. And the haul from those is still mostly lying unthouched. Why does time accelerate so much around the time you turn 25??

• Skeletor68 says:

I’m 29 now and my hair is literally turning grey as I type this.

• SomeDuder says:

30 and literally typing this from my grave

• Kala says:

31 with a foot in the grave :(

• Creeping Death says:

You’re probably being sarcastic but… I’m 27 and already greying and balding oO

phuzz says:

Heh, I’m 34 and I still have all may hair, and none of it’s grey :p

My joints on the other hand, my joints are fucked….

• jnik says:

(This may be TMI, but hey, we’re being old.) I’m 35 and I’m typing this on the toilet as I “prep” for a colonoscopy. For those unfamiliar, this involves drinking several litres of powerful laxative and sending it out your backside. And I had to get up at 3:30 to do this.

To topic! I knuckled and bought the infinity engine expanded editions. Now have purchased them three times: physical, GoG, GoG EE. Someday, I will play them. I guess I have some time now where I’m not going anywhere.

• Runty McTall says:

I think I started going grey at about 21 (damn university finals). Mid thirties now and every haircut sees a cascade of silver falling around me.

I prefer to think of it as looking “distinguished” rather than “grandfatherly”.

• Ejia says:

I’m turning 30 in a couple of weeks and I already have a fair amount of grey (white) hair.

I figure the earlier it all turns white the sooner I can have it colored blue.

• Xzi says:

28 and at least half grey. Seems to be enough to call this a trend.

• mattevansc3 says:

I turned 30 a few years back and I’m guessing my hairline has left the band and going in its own direction.

• Neurotic says:

I’m 42 and I just died of saleitis.

• Hedgeclipper says:

May or may not interest anyone but I was told recently that some studies have suggested that keeping a journal reduces the perceived effect of time flowing faster (of course who has time to keep a journal when its going by so fast?).

• bonuswavepilot says:

Interesting… Personally I have found novelty to be the best way to slow the apparent acceleration of time – when you’re traveling, or doing something new it doesn’t seem to rush by quite so much.

3. Vacuity729 says:

Currently offline due to load. There’s a picture of “Urslas” (Bear Atlas?) holding up the world instead, which is cute, but I’d sooner check the bargains than check the bear.

4. kud13 says:

I’ve recently compiled a wishlist on GOG. Whenever there’s a sale, I just refer to it. It helps me to keep impulse purchases down to a minimum

5. bit.bat says:

I find these walls of sales almost indecipherable now, almost like they are in a foreign language. I dunno if it is the shear volume of items on sale now or just the lack of enthusiasm for the entire sale itself after a myriad of past ones. Bring back full price games! No wait…

6. Kefren says:

I’ve got a spare SimCity 2000 GOG code, just contact me (details on my website) if you want it. Free, obviously.

• Darth Gangrel says:

I just bought Lichdom: Battlemage at a sweet 87 % discount, so now I also have a free GoG code for SimCity 2000 (take my code instead of Kefren’s :P).

Other than that, I also have a code for Nosferatu: Wrath of Malachi that RPS gave me and a bunch of Steam codes from The Humble Star Wars Bundle for games that I previously bought/aren’t interested in, namely:
      KotOR 1
      KotOR 2
      Jedi Academy
      Jedi Outcast
      Dark Forces II: Jedi Knight
      The Force Unleashed: Ultimate Sith Edition
      Empire at War: Gold Pack

If someone wants a Steam code for Serious Sam HD: The Second Encounter I have that as well. It’s too much hassle selling them on ebay for a few euros each and I’m not entirely sure if that’s even allowed, so here you go.

Just send an email to Gangrel546@gmail.com (a dummy account if you want to know, I won’t share my actual email address on the Internet, thank you very much!)

7. Zankman says:

Loads of good stuff up now!

Heroes of Might and Magic collection.

The original Witcher.

Jade Empire.

The Last Federation.

AI War Collection..

Brutal Legend.

8. Orix says:

Considering how you lot at RPS talk about Pathologic as the best thing since sliced soylent green, how could I not get it? Sounds interesting, don’t suppose there’s a mod to fix the apparently terrible english language translation?

• suibhne says:

With the Kickstarted remake well on its way from the original developers/designers, you might just wait and hope that it recreates the magic without the bugs.

• manny says:

It’s very interesting especially playing as the surgeon. But I wouldn’t waste too much frustration or get too much into the game, as it’s heavily flawed, and the remake is expected to be alot better. (Unity engine based)

Personally I would appreciate if anybody knew any movies or books based in a 19th century russian village, with the exception of the brothers karamazov, which I’ve already read. My interest was piqued with the 1900 new york surgery series ‘The Knick’. And also Pathologics heavy atmosphere.

9. Doom Kitten says:

Can anyone recommend any good couch coop games that are on sale? Looking for something fun to play this weekend with a friend in from out of town.

• Graerth says:

Trine 1 and 2 would be the obvious easy choices, I enjoyed both as a 3 man co-op over net and can only see couch coop being more fun.

Can’t remember how FlatOut games worked as multiplayer (if there was split screen option).

Quite a few nice games but not much on couch coop.

10. klo3 says:

The translation was the one thing that kept me from playing the original, something the remake will improve upon.

11. MadTinkerer says:

“obsolete games”

Dear Alice,

You may be new to using the English language, but those two words just do not go together, especially when referring to PC games. Unless you are a lobotomized EA or Konami executive. Good luck with the English lessons!

The Mad Tinkerer

• Hot Trout says:

I think likewise you might want to re-evaluate your reading comprehension, the very line you highlight was setup as a joke at the beginning of the article

• Noumenon says:

Even though I knew she didn’t mean it, the incongruity of the phrase is what got me to pause and click through to see “what games could you call obsolete?” That’s good writing doing its job.

• welverin says:

Kind of reminds me of a certain comment, too.

• Dare_Wreck says:

All the MMOs that are no longer with us beg to differ. Although I suppose you can argue that “shut down” and obsolete aren’t really the same thing.

12. Xzi says:

Also, Amazon digital games sale going on. Nothing that most people wouldn’t have in their libraries already, but worth checking out.

13. raiders says:

I just bought the AI War Collection. I couldn’t pass it up!

14. Ace Rimmer says:

Can I get a verdict on the Balwind’s Icedur Galedate ‘enhanced editions’? I’ve been meaning to have another crack at BG2 soon and if I could avoid having to fiddle with getting mods to work on linux, that’d be much appreciated. Supposedly they (at least the BeeGees) were rather buggy at launch, has that been fixed?

15. mattevansc3 says:

I would have preferred a choice of games per tier. I’ve already got Xenonauts from the last sale so there’s no incentive for me to buy more.

16. ninnyjams says:

The GOG Galaxy thing had me interested in GOG for awhile, but a bunch of devs I really like have been denied for not offering games with enough mainstream appeal so I guess I’m not super interested in this sale.

17. racccoon says:

Don’t forget the gog ain’t the best place as in some places its GAMERSGATE.COM

18. secretdoorinvisiblewall says:

Do any of you fine citizens have experience with Baldur’s Gate: Enhanced Edition co-op?

My SO and I have 2 PCs on the same LAN. Can I buy the DRM-free copy that’s on sale, install on both PCs, and we’re good to go? Or is there some kind of online registration (linked to serial numbers) that’s going to force us to buy two separate copies?

• jnik says:

I haven’t tried it yet, but I have purchased the BG EE and there’s no serial number or key or anything. The product page doesn’t say anything about “account required for multiplayer,” which GoG is usually pretty good about labeling. So I’m guessing you’re good.

Playing two copies off of one is up to your ethics (and I’m in a similar situation to you). It’s not like you have to buy two copies of something that does same-screen multi; OTOH when I backed Divinity: Original Sin I asked Larian 1) if I could play LAN co-op with a single purchase and 2) if they minded/considered it in keeping with their license. They very nicely replied that it would work technically but they’d prefer I backed at a two-copy level, so I did. Don’t know what Beamdog’s take would be.

DelrueOfDetroit says:

Finally! I have been waiting for Call of Prypyat to go on sale for a while now. It somehow managed to fly under the radar for both of Steam’s winter sales.

Fun fact: The first time I bought something off of GOG (Fallout 1+2 I think) I got a call from my credit card company asking if it was a legit purchase or not. Good old times.