FPS Skillz: Another Peek At Desync

People eagerly showing me games they think I’ll like is one of my favourite parts of this job. Mention at noon that you like low-fi FPS styles and come 2pm you’ll be staring at a lovely new trailer for Desync [official site]. (And by 9pm you’ll have calmed down enough to post it.)

It’s an FPS with a glorious gaudy style and, more than that, a focus on projectile and melee attacks to reward skilful movement and spatial awareness. I’m a big fan of actual projectiles you can dodge and gosh! Desync will even let you deflect them back at enemies to counter-attack. Come see.

That’s a fine-looking thing, isn’t it? Desync’s a high-scoring FPS where the action and enemies respond to how well you play. Given that it allows a whole lot of dodging and gives you secondary weapons to do things like launch enemies up into the air, deflect shots, and dash with a honking great laser sword, it seems there’s a lot to look forward to mastering. If it had Quake 2-esque strafe-jumping too I’d flip my lid.

Sadly Desync is still in pre-alpha phases of development so it’ll be a while before we get to play.

Dear developers reading this: I also like walking simulators which don’t have narrators, grappling hooks, water, eerie but safe forests, quiet contemplation, and FPSs with huge pump-action shotguns and revolvers. I would also really like a walking simulator set around a vast procedurally-generated production line full of noisy complicated machinery. Thanks in advance!

Top comments

1. Crane says:

Ah, Alice, it sounds like you want my upcoming indie smash-hit, "Think of Bullets, Grapple with Qualms".

In it, you walk around a vast factory, listening to the sound of heavy machinery which is soothingly muffled by the earplugs your character is wearing. Use MOUSEWHEEL+/- to adjust their fit in your ears and modulate the volume.
    In your right hand you hold a massive revolver. Holding RMB will let you rotate it in your hand a la trespasser in order to contemplate it. Pressing LMB will let you spin the cylinder or toy with the hammer. You have no bullets.
    In your left hand, you hold a grappling hook. Holding SPACE BAR lets you spin it idly as you walk. As you do so, your character will briefly see moments from their life in which they faced moral choices. Press SHIFT to swing your grappling hook through the hallucinations at what you deem to be the optimum moment for narrative fulfillment.
  1. J. Cosmo Cohen says:

My goodness this looks very fun. I’ll take it!

DelrueOfDetroit says:

So are those other players or NPC grunts in that video there?

3. Crane says:

Ah, Alice, it sounds like you want my upcoming indie smash-hit, “Think of Bullets, Grapple with Qualms”.

4. Pizzacheeks McFroogleburgher says:

If they add multiplayer I’ll deepthroat this till I choke.

5. Napalm Sushi says:

I have to wonder if there are any currently-overlooked quirks and flaws of modern LED monitors that will one day be painstakingly recreated in the name of nostalgia. Screen tearing from lack of Vsync, perhaps, or maybe stuck pixels?

(This isn’t a criticism, by the way. I always approve when devs aiming for a transistorpunk vibe take the effort to pretend you’re playing through a knackered CRT display.)