Rumour: Dark Souls 3 Coming In 2016, PC Release Hazy

Ooh!

Dark Souls 3 is apparently well underway in the workpits of From Software, according to leaked materials bearded NerdBro YouTube news channel The Know have seen. Screenshots, concept art and gameplay info are detailed in a new video from the crew, but it’s all vague enough that the fate of the PC version is thrown into confusion by one little word.

More specifically, they’re listing the PC release as “negotiable.” What exactly this means isn’t quite clear, so I’ve reached out to series publisher Bandai Namco for more info. Watch this space.

Going by The Know’s list of numbers and features, it sounds like they got their hands on a marketing fact sheet, where that “negotiable” could mean many different things depending on the context. It could simply be that they haven’t decided which store they’ll sell it in, whether it’ll get a physical release, whether it’ll use Steam, whether it’ll arrive later, or… don’t get too concerned about that just yet, in short. Presumably this has leaked ahead of an announcement at E3 in a week’s time.

In the meantime, here’s what we do know via the dulcet tones of our American video friends: Dark Souls 3 will reportedly include 10 starter classes, 15 new bosses, 12 different regions to explore, 60 minutes of in-game cutscenes, and support up to 4 players. A launch is expected in 2016. You can watch the video in full below.

1. Anguy says:

Almost didn’t make it through the video because of how hard these guys are to endure…

2. mashkeyboardgetusername says:

Bah. The worst thing about E3 is that rather than getting info on new things regularly, there’s a lull period before the show in which people hold off announcing things properly so they can do it at E3. Bah, I say.

Also, 15 “new” bosses? So we’re fighting Ornstein again? :)

• Anguy says:

It’s the “Slightly bit older than the last Dragonslayer”

• Geebs says:

15 new variants of “big dude in armour, wearing roller-skates”

Hey, it’s Dark Souls, colour me excited either way.

• Geebs says:

Also: Ornstein was a pretty dubious dragonslayer, given that there was a dragon (or possibly wyvern, sue me) right outside his front door.

Smough was better named – he certainly executed the crap out of me.

• Suits says:

Gargoyle :p

Swordfishtrombone says:

I’m guessing Geebs means Seath.

• Geebs says:

I actually meant outside the Cathedral of Blue in Scholar of the First Sin. It’s confusing when they insist on bringing characters back!

3. MadPlague says:

It’s rather sad to witness FromSoft losing itself in sequeland. Seeing it advertise its game on the number of ennemies/bosses/cutscenes (maybe bonfires soon) is even more painful.

• Anguy says:

Haven’t played Bloodbourne yet, because I lack a PS4 so I can’t speak for how their new IPs are but I’m one of the people that was fine with getting a sequel to the amazing DaS1. Sure I was a bit disappointed at first when I played the sequel but apart from the great world design with all it’s interconnections etc. that was present in DaS1 and lacking in 2 it made almost everything right or even a tiny bit better (like the controls for example, which have been hugely improved in my opinion).
      That’s why I’m not really against any further sequels. There’s nothing quite like Dark Souls and I’m glad to get a bit more of it.

The numbers also don’t seem overly worrysome to me. The leak most likely stems from some marketing paper thing where things like that are often advertised in such a manner. Same as with trailers for movies or games that aren’t particularly action focused but the trailers let them look like they were because this will make it more appealing for a wider crowd. Explosions! Numbers!
      I’m actually glad to hear some weapons etc. are returning. The claymore for example is one of my favourite weapons because of the moveset and I’d be happy to swing it again.

• Hellraiserzlo says:

They didn’t advertise any of it, it’s a leak.

• MadPlague says:

As I already said, I fail to see coincidences when leaks happen 10 days away from E3.

• Jokerme says:

Check out their other games. They always make the same type of games and try to improve with each game.

• Qazi says:

I know right.
        Armored Core is on its 15th incarnation?
        King’s Field got to 4, but lovely games like Shadow Tower and Eternal Ring are basically King’s Field-likes…
        and Demon’s Souls, Dark Souls, Bloodborne lineage continues the legacy in third person.

• Gordon Shock says:

Really?

Dark/Demon Souls is the spawn child of the King’s Field series which had 4 entry, I’d say that the sequel has been sailing for a long time!

• Smoky_the_Bear says:

Yeah I feel the same way. I’m really not that interested, Dark Souls 2 and Bloodborne are decidedly “more of the same” and I do feel like From came up with a winning formula and they are going to milk it for all it’s worth until people get bored of it. I just don’t see them innovating here.

4. floher says:

It seems they didn’t advertise anything yet. As is the nature of a leak.

• MadPlague says:

I’m always skeptical when it comes to pre-E3 “accidental” leaks.
      Sounds more like hypemeter’s preparation to me.

5. Synesthesia says:

Meh, why do gamers always lap up this shit?

Miyazaki has proven he doesn’t need sequels to do great games. Just let him go on with the souls franchise on his own terms.

Anyways, this is probably the B team again, the one that did DS2. What a shame.

• sub-program 32 says:

Actually if EpicNameBro’s podcast is anything to go by, its rather likely Miyazaki *is* directing the DS3 team, since he has more control over the company in general now it seems.

• Balblair says:

“Anyways, this is probably the B team again, the one that did DS2. What a shame.”

How is it a shame that we know the game would be a lot more balanced, have much better combat, would feature less bugs, more diverse weapons and spells, interesting bosses and invaders, etc?

I’m sure you’d like more Bed of Chaos, 30fps-locked ports, GFWL or similar online network and Blighttown.

6. WiggumEsquilax says:

The PC release of Dark Souls is always hazy. That’s why we have Durante.

• Smoky_the_Bear says:

Even Durante can’t fix something that does not exist.

7. vahnn says:

Don’t worry, guys, we’re getting a PC version. But it will be in DX9 and will be optimized for using your iPad as a controller and will be locked at 44 fps and using Durante’s fixes may possible result in a Steam ban, and then in 2017, a month after you buy all the DLC on Christmas Steam sales, they will announce a new version at full price which includes all the DLC you just bought that updates the game to DX12 but won’t be backwards compatible with either your saves or with multiplayer with people who stick with the DX9 version, but there will also be a DX11 version for full price which will not be forwards compatible with the DX12 version but can be played with the DX9 players, but can use DX12 saves but not DX9 saves.

• zarthrag says:

This. Don’t forget that the DX12 version won’t be any prettier than the DX9 version.

8. aliksy says:

Uhh… meh. I’ll pay attention when they pay attention to the PC. Still pissy about bloodborne being a PS4 exclusive, and the scholar of the first sin BS.

9. EhexT says:

“negotiable” PC release means “We’re hoping Sony or Microsoft pays us not to release on PC”.

• Tatourmi says:

Probably yeah, and as sad as it sounds, if it actually gets to be a PS4 exclusive as well, It WILL be the final push that I needed to buy a PS3… It may very well be the first time console exclusives worked on me.

10. Lobotomist says:

After all fan support they got for PC version , they are again spitting on their user base ?

If they announce it is only going out on consoles and PC version will be a possible port. I am seriously done supporting them. And so should all PC players in my opinion.

11. fish99 says:

Looks pretty nice. A bit Dark Souls 1, a bit Bloodborne, a definitely step up from the visuals in Dark Souls 2 and the art design looks more interesting. I’ll play it on whatever they release it on, although obviously I would rather that was PC since it’ll run better.

12. airmikee says:

I’ve stopped wanting to play games from publishers/devs that have focused on consoles and then release PC versions of the game when they get around to it. If pubs/devs want to make games for childrens toys, more power to them, I’ll give my money to pubs/devs that make games for me to play.

13. Maxheadroom says:

I thought there’s be a Bloodborne 2 before we got a Dark Souls 3
    Much as I liked Bloodborne I do miss the slower pace of the Souls games, so this was a nice surprise

14. UncleLou says:

Why? It’s important to understand how this business works. They haven’t made Bloodborne PS4-exclusive to spite PC gamers. From Software is (or rather was, someone bought them last year) a comparatively small independent studio, and they basically work as a contractor. Sony “ordered” a game years ago for their upcoming new console, and so they said yes and developed it. What should they have done, say no? Working with a big publisher minimizes their risks.

A multiplatform Bloodborne was never on the cards, from all we know. The alternative to an exclusive Bloodborne wouldn’t have been a multiplatform, but something completely different. Maybe Microsoft would have hired them. Hell, maybe Nintendo would have hired them for a 3DS game.

As annoying as platform exclusives are, I find it a bit strange to blame developers or small publishers.

• UncleLou says:

Ah well, that was supposed to be a reply to Lobotomist’s ” I am seriously done supporting them. And so should all PC players in my opinion.”

• Kitsunin says:

I guess that my problem is, Bloodborne is a souls game, really. From has taken its Dark Souls ball over into our PC yard and allowed us to play with it. We’ve therefore grown to love their ball. With Bloodborne, they’ve essentially told us “Oh, by the way, we were only lending you our ball, best pay the fellows next door $400 so you can play with it in their yard, you’ll also need to keep the ticket in your pocket (ps4 in your home, for some of us having more than one system is difficult for space reasons)”.

Now, it could be argued that just because they let you play with their Souls ball doesn’t make you entitled to their other balls, and in the case of Bloodborne, the balls are only similar through mechanics and theme (which is, in my opinion, enough, but not unarguably so)…but if they did the same with Dark Souls 3, that would be awful. It’d be like if Harry Potter 1-6 were released in book form, but #7 was only on Kindle. Part of the promise of being given the beginning of a story, is also getting to see the story’s continuation, you can’t go and finally get everyone to love you by sharing your ball and then take it to the neighbor’s yard!

15. fish99 says:

At the point From signed up with Sony to make Bloodborne, there were no Souls games on PC, and who knows what the financial situation over at From was at that point, and what offers they had on the table. You don’t just turn down the kinda money and stability Sony can offer them. Sony paid for Bloodborne, and helped develop it. Also from what I understand there isn’t much of a PC market in Japan.

Taking any of this as a personal insult, as many people above seem to have, is a little unnecessary IMO.

People should just be glad that we’ve got 2 Souls games on PC and hopefully another on the way. That seemed impossible a few years ago.