Fresh Meat: Heroes Of The Storm Getting More Diablo Stuff

Sweet Western deities, Blizzard does work fast. Heroes of the Storm [official site] has only just come out of beta, but from deep in the dark MOBA death-mines the developers have apparently been working on a new content expansion themed around the Diablo universe.

It’s called Heroes of the Storm: Eternal Conflict, and it’ll introduces a new map and two new characters; this according to a live-streamed launch event that took place over the weekend.

The new map, known as “Battlefield of Eternity,” is modelled on the High Heavens setting from the fourth act of Diablo III. It’s got two lanes, and a new sort of NPC interaction in which two creatures – one good and one evil – try to periodically knock each other out at the center of the map. Whichever of these guys wins will help their allied team take down enemy defences onward down the lane.

Joining the female crusader Johanna, who was released just last week, is Diablo’s Butcher. He’ll be seeing a release in the game’s next content drop, which will introduce him as a playable Assassin class character.

There’s no price tag just yet, but expect it all to arrive on June 30th. You can check out the launch event in full below.

1. Likethiss says:

I dont quite understand the bit about no pricetag. They have been adding content regularly and none of it has cost a cent, unless you want the cosmetic stuff. The prices for new heroes have also been the same 9,99e if you want to unlock it right away and 10k ingame gold seems to be the new standard for heroes. You can get the ingame gold so fast that i haven’t had to purchase anything with real money yet.

• Tukuturi says:

Yeah, this isn’t an expansion pack, it’s just new content. Purchasing maps so that some people have them and some don’t wouldn’t even work in this game. The Butcher will be 15,000 gold or $9.99 at release, and after a few weeks the gold price will drop to 10,000. That’s how it has worked with every other new hero.

• jrodman says:

Huh, I did not realize this was a currency-to-unlock-mechanics game. Thanks for the information!

• Eagle0600 says:

To be fair, you can earn this currency in-game, and the champions all go on free-rotation just like in LoL. Also to be fair, earning the currency in-game takes a long-ass time.

2. Stevostin says:

I am a bit forced to play it because friends there but it really starts to get on my nerve. It’s so empty. Nothing like a game of Dota and I am not even a Dota fan.

3. int says:

Diablo heroes still need a support though. I vote Pepin!

• Kitsunin says:

We need more supports, period! I think in Heroes of the Dorm support was the most-played class (and probably is in general, considering the healer + utility-support meta), yet there are the least supports by a considerable margin. Where’s the logic in that?

4. OpT1mUs says:

Yeah maybe in the first few weeks, when you can get 500 gp per level 5 hero and some 2000 gp acc level awards, but after that it’s slow as hell

• Bishop says:

Agreed, I got 10k real quick and now I’ve probably played triple, maybe even quadruple the time and I’ve not even got to 15k. Luckily I picked a good hero for my first purchase.

• Tukuturi says:

I’ve been playing since alpha and have no trouble getting gold for new heroes. I don’t even go out of my way to do my dailies, just get them out of the way by playing ranked normally. If anything, Blizzard is relying on skins as their money maker here.

5. SaintAn says:

Enough Hell demons, we need some Fel demons! I want Gul’dan and some Burning Legion baddies already. And more unique playstyles that other Dota games don’t have, like Abathur. Just found out about Abathur’s play style today and now I have a reason to play a Dota for once. Such a cool and fun idea.

• Smoky_the_Bear says:

Pretty sure The Butcher won’t be anything unique. Can almost pick his abilities from the bossfight in D3 tbh.

My guess would be.
      1) Pudge/Blitz style hook with his chain. Skillshot.
      2) AoE with his chain. Frontal Cone.
      3) Overhead smash with his axe. Targeted stun.

Ult) Charge forwards dealing AoE damage on impact.
      Ult 2) Surround himself with fire on the ground (this one I’m not so sure about but I’d guess something with fire).

6. Ranger33 says:

Loving this game so far. For the last few months I’ve been thinking I would love to play Dota or LoL but simply don’t have the free time to learn all the ins and outs, much less play hour long matches on a regular basis. Now I can jump right in and have fun, and squeeze in 2-3 matches per day easily.

• Asurmen says:

That’s ok, because hour long matches don’t happen on any kind of regular basis at all. As for ins and out, LoL has a tutorial, matches against bots and matched player games. Original Dota was useless for learning but I presume new Dota has similar stuff to LoL.

• hennedo says:

So you think LoL or Dota 2 are as easy to pick up, and have matches just as short, as Hots? I don’t agree. They have other things to offer, but those are not their relative strengths. Are you saying that the case for Hots’ ease of pickup is overstated relative to the others? I could maybe see that. Learning how to play the objectives and how to tactically talent is more complex than it seems at first.

• Kitsunin says:

It doesn’t really matter if they don’t happen on a regular basis, the fact is that if you start up dota or LoL you have to be prepared to spend an hour in-game, because there’s always the chance this will be that one in one hundred games which lasts upwards of an hours.

That aside, it’s the difference between an average 36 minute game with the potential to last 50, and an average 20 minute game with the potential to last 30. Which is pretty big.

• Likethiss says:

From my experience 60 min matches are not rare at all. It is the main reason why i had to quit playing Dota 2. I think the longest out of roughly 300 matches in HotS was 42min and usually they last 15-20 mins. Also HotS is so casual compared to Dota it really doesnt matter all that much if you need to take care of something fast during a match(excluding league matches of course).

• Smoky_the_Bear says:

Yeah certainly in my experience even fairly one sided matches in Dota 2 have a tendency to drag on and get to the 40 minute plus stage on a regular basis. LoL games are shorter but can still get to that length, just not as regularly. As the guy above said, you have to be prepared for an hour long game because it is a possibility. So you cannot start a game without an hour spare. Hots games, I’m not sure they can physically go that long because the map mechanics make sure things will get destroyed in a certain amount of time unless for example all 10 people are too stupid to hand in any doubloons at all. Not likely.

7. Smoky_the_Bear says:

The Butcher. Yay, another Blitzcrank style hook in a moba………….