Here’s Every Feature That’s Being Dropped In Windows 10

Here’s everything you should know about Windows 10‘s “feature deprecation” – That’s techno lingo nonsense for “Stuff wot is dropped” from previous iterations of the operating system:

• If you have Windows 7 Home Premium, Windows 7 Professional, Windows 7 Ultimate, Windows 8 Pro with Media Center, or Windows 8.1 Pro with Media Center and you install Windows 10, Windows Media Center will be removed.
  • Watching DVDs requires separate playback software
  • Windows 7 desktop gadgets will be removed as part of installing Windows 10.
  • Windows 10 Home users will have updates from Windows Update automatically available. Windows 10 Pro and Windows 10 Enterprise users will have the ability to defer updates.
  • Solitaire, Minesweeper, and Hearts Games that come pre-installed on Windows 7 will be removed as part of installing the Windows 10 upgrade. Microsoft has released our version of Solitaire and Minesweeper called the “Microsoft Solitaire Collection” and “Microsoft Minesweeper.”
  • If you have a USB floppy drive, you will need to download the latest driver from Windows Update or from the manufacturer’s website.
  • If you have Windows Live Essentials installed on your system, the OneDrive application is removed and replaced with the inbox version of OneDrive.

It seems as though the most drastic feature to be dropped this time around is actually just ye olde Windows Media Center. Likewise, long-standing stalwarts Minesweeper and Solitaire will also be taken out albeit repackaged in some form, proving their complete removal from our universe is as unlikely their removal of from my heart. Did you know I once played nothing but Solitaire for three months? I wasn’t even stuck in a Turkish prison or anything.

Microsoft announced just last week that Windows 10 would release July 29th of this year. You can check out those earlier launch details here. It’ll be free to upgrade from Windows 7 or 8.1, but cost $119 for a new copy of Windows 10 Home and $199 for Win 10 Pro.

1. mattevansc3 says:

Solitaire and Minesweeper are already available as ad supported titles in the Windows Store and have been for a while.

• LionsPhil says:

Solitaire has a loading screen. It takes a few seconds of a spinning little fan of cards to actually get into a game.

Just let that “progress” of the last twenty years sink in for a while.

• mattevansc3 says:

I never said it was better ;-)

I used to love wasting time on Solitaire and Freecell, now I’m wasting time trying to play them.

• dsch says:

Came across them in the preview build yesterday. They work perfectly fine, though without the bouncing animation that seems like a graphics glitch when you win.

• pepperfez says:

ad supported
      Urge to kill…rising…

• trjp says:

Solitaire requires an Internet Connection

No really, being on your own requires the company of the whole Internet ;0

• Hedgeclipper says:

Why would I play solitaire if I had an internet connection?

• eggy toast says:

Right? A game of last resort that you can only play when better options are available.

• Smoky_the_Bear says:

Pretty sure I’ve mostly played those games when my internet has gone down for a few minutes, rendering this version of Solitaire practically useless to me. I prefer FreeCell and Spider anyway so if those are still available I guess it’s ok. However, hmmm, DRMing Solitaire, that’s quite a chuckle.

• ansionnach says:

You can copy in the classic windows games from 7 to 8 and they work. Wonder if you’ll be able to do the same with 10? Annoying that they replace the stalwarts with crappy windows store versions.

• buxcador says:

No. They don’t work.

There is a hack to make them work, which requires editing the binary files.

• Rumpelstilskin says:

Boy, I’m pretty sure I played spider solitaire more than any other game. Now I’m at the stage where I think it’s starting to repeat itself:) At least I definitely got repeats in the vanilla (non-spider) one, sometimes even in a row.

2. Bobsy says:

Wait, no DVD playback? Why?

Tam-Lin says:

Licensing, I’d imagine.

• Azhrarn says:

because licensing DVD playback is quite expensive, and most people don’t use their PCs primarily for physical media playback (mostly files, which will still work). :)

• bill says:

If it’s like windows 8 then you can just use VLC (or whatever).

• waltC says:

VLC works great with Win8…much better than MediaCenter, and the same price, too…;) I thought at first I’d miss MC–never did…;)

*I have a very old Smart Disk USB floppy (ran 2x as fast as a standard floppy in those days)–works great with Win10 10130…it’s 100% plug & play–the Microsoft drivers are sufficient–which is good since the company has gone belly up…!

The rest of it is of no-account, really…the games that don’t ship with the OS will be available for free from the Microsoft store (just as was the case with 8/.1)…10130 is quite solid, and the latest Win10 drivers from AMD (new as of just a few days ago) seem rock solid and Win10 runs the ~40 games or so I’ve tested it with perfectly–DOS & AMIGA emulators run fine. It’s shaping up to be great, imo. It’s still rough in some places but nothing that can’t be repaired in 30-60 days, imo!

Start menu is decent, and I’m using it, but I still am on the fence as to whether I want to use it or Classic Shell’s start menu (which also works with the Win10 builds.)

• waltC says:

Wanted to add (but someone has stolen the edit option here), that Witcher 3 runs smashing well on my Win10 HD 7850 2GB (1GHz/5.6GHz), AMD 8320E machine (4.2GHz on all 8 cores.) @ 1920×1200 with all options configured at max except for motion blur and blur which I have disabled (ugh!)–even hairworks is on (which runs fine if you lower tessellation to a max of 16x.) No crashing whatsoever–solid as a rock. CDPR optimized the *I&it out of this game–and it shows…! Good job, CDPR!

• malkav11 says:

I read that it will be included later. But presumably for the same licensing reasons they don’t natively support Bluray playback.

• Ragnar says:

DVD playback software will be included later as a separate download.

• eggy toast says:

What no built in floppy disk drive? Why?

• eggy toast says:

Removable disks are last century, is what I mean. Blu rays are slow as sin, and DVDs only hold a couple crummy gigs.

3. LionsPhil says:

And if you’re thinking of moving from 7, Wikipedia has a list of features removed in Windows 8.

(Still can’t believe they broke volume shadow copies so soon after making them useful, as Linux slowly grinds its way toward useful same-disk snapshotting with btrfs.)

• ThomasHL says:

This list already basically was a list of features removed from Windows 7 in Windows 8. DVD playback, solitaire, minesweeper etc all things not present in Windows 8

• lukibus says:

Congratulations on also being more informed than the author of this non-article.

• Asurmen says:

That’s a bit harsh seeing as nothing said in the article stated otherwise.

• jrodman says:

If snapshotting is important to you for some reason, it’s been available via LVM2 for around 15 years now, but it is a bit shite.

keithzg says:

Yeah, LVM2 is like black magic. BTRFS is meandering its way towards science-based magic.

• LionsPhil says:

LLVM is way too heavyweight (and IME on servers has caused corruption issues).

The great thing about system restore using volume shadow copies was that it was a nearly-instant disposable backup against non-actively-malicious harm. Going to install/uninstall something? [Winkey]create restore[enter] and make one. If you don’t need to revert to it (the 99% of the time case), it’ll quietly get swept away later when it’s old enough or disk space runs low. (And of course Windows makes these itself in situations like when about to install updates.)

But in the case where the uninstaller wiped my Start menu through ineptitude (RenegadeX, to name and shame), I could just restore it from previous versions in a few clicks, rather than having to dig out the external drive and rebuild anything since the last proper backup.

Occasionally useful for versioning other files too; I suspect I’d make more of that if I didn’t have most everything important in a “proper” VCS.

BTRFS looks like it may get there some day (it’s on the right path, doing copy-on-write), but to get all of this is more than just the FS driver; it’s levels above that managing snapshot cleanup, and of course UI for the file manager etc. It’s a cool stack of stuff, and vexing to see them disassemble it again after they had it working.

4. Voronwer says:

Isn’t Windows Media Player being uninstalled another great European Commision intervention? I thought Europe basically ordered them to give competition a chance and remove it. There already was a forced European version of Windows 7 N that came without those extras.

• MrPyro says:

Media Center, not Media Player.

keithzg says:

Yeah, and it’s basically a case of “we bought out a company that had a product, we repackaged it, but now everyone on that team has been reshuffled or quit so we aren’t going to maintain it anymore.”

• wu wei says:

I strongly suspect avoiding further antitrust issues was the intent behind removing Minesweeper & Solitaire as well. The courts seem to take a dim view of MS bundling any kind of functionality up with their OS, because it gives them an unfair advantage in that domain. (Weirdly, no one seems to give a shit about Apple doing the same thing…)

As it stands, Microsoft has recently been ordered to split the company into two: one part responsible for the OS, the other for Office and any other applications.

• jrodman says:

I think Apple doesn’t get the focus because there isn’t a ton of well-entrenched case results establishing Apple as a legally recognized monopoly in the general computing operating system market. You might be able to pin that on Apple in some other markets, but it’s not a slam-dunk.

• Geebs says:

Surely, from an antitrust point of view, Minesweeper and Solitaire are more innocuous than having a bunch of links to the MSN network’s drivel-feeds automatically included in the Start screen/menu?

5. Jayson82 says:

Oddly the removal of solitaire and minesweeper might prove more costly to microsoft than they think.

The majority of people who use computers do not know anything about them all they see is there favorite games been removed in this new one which will stop a lot of them upgrading and a lot of businesses from upgrading so not to upset there staff and bosses.

Sure you can get solitaire and minesweeper elsewhere but people are lazy and unknowable all they care about is that they cant click sol anymore when they want to waste some time on there computer.

I’m happy with win7 at the moment nothing I have seen encourages me to upgrade in anyway. And I know from experience you wait a year at minimum when a new operating system comes out to be patched and to see how it works out. We do not need another WindowsME situation here.

Hmm just had a really bad thought, do you think they are going to make Minecraft 2 windows 10 exclusive? Is that why they bought it for an incentive for people to move over? They wont care about the revenue lost from excluding the other systems all they see is a great incentive to move people to its new more expensive operating system. :(

• WiggumEsquilax says:

Yeah, the only people who this change affects will be the ones who don’t have the aptitude/inclination to work around it. Sounds like a net loss.

• dylnuge says:

What? First, the default install of Solitaire, Minesweeper, etc was actually removed from Windows 8 (you have to use the app store). Second, I’m pretty sure most people (including non-techies) just won’t care and don’t even play those games anymore. Third, it’s quite presumptuous to assume most PC users are too dumb to install software. Fourth, if they are too dumb to install software they’re probably not going to manage to install Windows 10. Fifth, this won’t affect enterprise in the slightest (though good luck explaining to your boss that you can’t get Windows 10 yet because you need the games it’s removing). Sixth, the Minecraft thing is entirely unfounded. Seventh, given that this is a free upgrade for 7 and 8 users and Microsoft has said all future OS upgrades will be free now, I’m not sure where “more expensive” is coming from.

• Sirius1 says:

“Microsoft has said all future OS upgrades will be free now”

Uh… what? No – they have said that upgrading to Win10 will be free for the first year for owners of Win7 onwards, and that Win10 would not be a yearly subscription, for however long Win10 is supported (which I expect to be quite a short period.) Anything else you care to state is pure speculation, and that all OS upgrades will be free from now on is a huge stretch – MS are not going to forgo one of their major sources of revenue.

That Win10 is going to be free for a year should be considered in that light. They are forgoing a year’s worth of revenue from Win upgrades to get as many people on Win10 as possible. That is a *lot* of money they won’t be getting. There *will* be a reason behind it that MS sees as being worth the loss of that revenue, and it’s highly unlikely that it will also be of benefit to Windows users.

I’m going to be treating this one very cautiously.

• mattevansc3 says:

Umm no, that’s not speculation. On its reveal Microsoft stated that as part of its Software as a Service model all Windows 10 installs will receive free updates, including those to the latest version of Windows, free for the lifetime of the device.

Microsoft has stated this on numerous occasions even going as fas as to say this is the last Windows release.

• Sirius1 says:

There is a lot of room for speculation in all of MS’ statements about Win10 to date. I am certainly not reading it as having a freebie upgrade forever (even on a single device.) There’s some fine print in there somewhere, and I suspect it’s got something to do with Windows being a service – something won’t work the way you seem to think it will.

• mattevansc3 says:

It is not speculation just because you are paranoid. Microsoft have stated in no uncertain terms that every Windows 10 device will receive free updates and be updated to the latest build for the lifetime of the device.

• neofit says:

” free for the lifetime of the device. ”
            Oh, that’s how they get you then? Do you have a definition of “lifetime of the device”? Since I bought Win7 I changed motherboards and CPUs twice, and both times I just reused that same license, as it should be with purchased stuff. So now, if the device changes (new motherboard, CPU, RAM, HD, any combination of the above?), we’ll have to buy a new license since the “device” is different? That’s even smarter than renting Office 365.

• LionsPhil says:

Technically, as-written, if that was an OEM Win7 license, you should have purchased a new one (retail is transferrable). Considering the motherboard the “lifetime of the device” has been their standard for a while.

(Standard disclaimer that Windows DRM in practice does not work the way it is described/intended to; I am not disputing that this worked for you.)

• neofit says:

The way Windows 7 DRM currently works ans is supposed to. You purchase a box (not a pre-installed OEM), you install it on a computer and activate the license, which becomes linked to the current hardware. You do an unspecified amount of changes, like change the motherboard and/or CPU, you will be told to reactivate it. Or if you install it on another motherboard altogether, and will be told that you serial is already linked to another hardware setup. Then you are told to to an extra step, where you unlink the serial from the previous hardware, and link it to the current one. So even if you can still boot the old mb/cpu, that windows will not have a license anymore. In short, Microsoft allows and helps people to transfer their Windows 7 licenses from one machine to another, and it was the same with Vista.

Now, if in Win 10 they won’t allow this, say you bought a new motherboard and it died within a month, even if it is still under warranty the serial will be different and “sorry, your device has died, please purchase another win 10 license”. This “free” upgrade will end up costing a lot more than the previous ones.

• Yargh says:

There’s also the announcement that Microsoft no longer intend to release any future major versions of Windows after 10, moving instead to an incremental update model via Windows Update.

link to theguardian.com

• mattevansc3 says:

Nah, the new CEO has been actively pushing to get their normal Windows exclusives on every platform possible. The OS you run on a PC while soon become irrelevant so Microsoft is positioning themselves ready for that.

• Asurmen says:

There’s absolutely no real problem jumping straight in and upgrading straight away.

• kevinspell says:

Hehehe, good idea, I’ll be that guy. I’ll refuse to upgrade only because 10 doesn’t have Solitaire. The look of annoyed faces will be priceless…

6. malkav11 says:

Desktop gadgets were removed in 8, so this is just a continued absence of the idea. It’s apparently because they were insecure.

• LionsPhil says:

I’m still confused by that reasoning. They certianly don’t do anything as stupid as run as admin in 7, because the little system-monitoring one I use has to have a matching service to actually read values, so I can only assume it’s either some weird fundamental problem with leaking data into trusted processes, like how clipboard interaction with admin command prompts got broken in Vista, or it’s just a weak excuse to mask a decision by a increasingly hostile graphical design team.

• Ragnar says:

Not sure what the reasoning was, but gadgets could be run with Admin access. In fact, the Pandora gadget required it, iirc.

• malkav11 says:

I didn’t really understand the reasoning either, and I found the little weather gadget quite useful, but c’est la vie, I guess. I’m quite used to Microsoft taking two steps back in usability and sensible OS behavior for every gain they make in these OS upgrades. Stuff like mandating updates, which in turn mandate reboots (and nag you incessantly about it until you do) and can easily be made to install stuff I want no part of. Gee thanks, Microsoft!

I get that a lot of those moves are safeguards against neophyte users shooting themselves in the foot and similar, but they’re hugely obnoxious as a relative power user (only relative – there’s people who know real low level stuff I don’t, certainly), and it seems like first they’re on by default but you can dig around and eventually revert the change, and then slowly they become mandatory.

• Janichsan says:

If I recall correctly, they actually already were removed by a Windows 7 Service Pack.

7. bill says:

If I have win 8 PRO and i take their free upgrade offer do I end up with win 10 PRO?

8. bill says:

Basically all this stuff was already removed from win 8. So no biggie.

9. Fenix says:

“Did you know I once played nothing but Solitaire for three months?”
    sounds like Regina Spektor lyrics.

*Windows 10 Home users will have updates from Windows Update automatically available. Windows 10 Pro and Windows 10 Enterprise users will have the ability to defer updates.
    Am I understanding it wrong or does this mean you can’t turn automatic updates off in Win 10 Home? That would be a dealbreaker right there!

• kaer says:

Yeah, this is the worst one, by far. Forced updates and reboots for things I don’t care about (unless they’re security patches)

• LurkerLito says:

Notice it says defer updates, so while Win 10 Pro and Enterprise will let you delay updates, at some point it will force install it.

• Simbosan says:

It’s a great idea and necessary because of dumb people who don’t patch and provide the fertile ground for botnets.

Like the prats who stick with XP

Security is something we all have to consider.

• pepperfez says:

That’s a good reason for making updates opt-out rather than opt-in. But the idiots who don’t know that they need to install security fixes aren’t the ones fiddling with settings, so there’s not a great security reason to totally remove the option.

• LionsPhil says:

This would be a great argument were it not for the recent Win 10 upgrade advert spam being an indicator that modern Microsoft cannot be trusted that every update is in your interests.

• LionsPhil says:

Oh, lest we think this is a point sample being turned into a mountain, add in the rollout of Windows Genuine Advantage, and the EU Browser Choice Screen.

(Something something post editing when.)

• mattevansc3 says:

The Eu Browser Choice was a legal requirement. Microsoft got fined at one point for “accidentally” removing it.

• LionsPhil says:

Yes, but that doesn’t change the point that you want the ability to not install it.

• mattevansc3 says:

It was the EU’s decision not Microsoft’s to force the installation. Microsoft could not legally give EU users the option to not install it.

• LionsPhil says:

They did exactly that—it was an update like any other that you could untick and hide.

In versions of Windows that let you untick and hide updates, which it sounds like 10 Home may not be, which is the problem we are discussing here.

• mattevansc3 says:

And it was doing that that led to the second EU fine.

The only updates that will automatically get downloaded are those labelled as Important. Optional Updates will remain optional. The Win10 Reservation update was an Optional Update. Microsoft have been very open about this with the Tech Preview testers.

• LionsPhil says:

The 10 notification was Recommended, not Optional. This distinction is important, since there’s an ill-worded Windows Update option to install Recommended updates automatically along with Important ones.

• Asurmen says:

Which still leaves it entirely in your hands as to whether it is installed.

• jrodman says:

Yes, despite Microsoft’s underhanded abuse of their own update system to try to advertise new products to you, you can certainly avoid installing said advertisements.

However, if you read the context of the thread, this is being brought up in light of the idea of this choice being removed in future Update versions.

• thedosbox says:

Annoying as that may have been, it’s worth mentioning that it was a recommended update (i.e. non-mandatory), not an important update. Under Windows 7/8, Recomended updates are optional.

I wouldn’t start waving the pitchforks until it’s clear whether recommended updates are now mandatory for Home users.

• RobF says:

They moved it into important a bit later on. It was under that when I went to hide it from view as everyone got the taskbar spam.

• alms says:

Indeed, Microsoft has a track record of pushing updates as not optional (and thus installed automatically when Windows is set that way) when they are only useful to them, most recently the Win10 upgrade nagware.

• Rack says:

8.1 has worse gaming support than Linux, there’s no way I’m happy for MS to be mandating when updates happen.

• drinniol says:

So Linux can run all Windows games, now? Did I miss something?

• Dale Winton says:

There can’t be that many people still running xp now surely ?

• LionsPhil says:

Depending whose stats you believe, between ten and twenty percent.

Stuff that works well enough endures. This is why we still haven’t moved on from UNIX either, or why for all the attempts to redo social communication, e-mail is still the notification and identification backbone of the Internet.

Andy_Panthro says:

My employer has only just (earlier this year) upgraded most of our PCs to Windows 7, but we still require a few running XP for software which just doesn’t work on Win7 (or would require us to buy new expensive software).

• pepperfez says:

It’s me! I am!

(On my old netbook which is my only portable.)

• Press X to Gary Busey says:

3.18% of the Steam users who opted in for the hardware survey in may. Thats about the same as OS X and 360% more than Linux users.

• Hypocee says:

Me. It works well enough, I’ve got all my tools and a decade’s muscle memory installed, I run NoScript and have gotten infected by malware 4 times in 15 years (only once without knowing the risk beforehand, when CNet went adware and then installed despite a Cancel button exit) and since 7 got its first SP my HDD crashed and put me on a lifeboat install, then various catastrophes have kept me too busy IRL for a couple years to be bothered with what OS I run.

Until recently the only game I’ve really cared about and couldn’t run was Just Cause 2. Amusingly, I was actually going to shuffle my data and install the 10 preview this weekend (It turns out I built shelf units, hauled planters, did laundry, played with the dog and read my new motorcycle’s service manual instead). The game that kicked me out of my rut must surely be some powerhouse, right? Maybe that new cool card game with an action-RPG attached to it. Maybe some early access Unreal engine concept shooter. Maybe some world-spanning simulation management game. As you can tell from my ironic construct, nope. Sprite-based, turn-based Invisible, Inc. doesn’t run on XP because it wants file enumeration functions from a Visual C runtime library that’s not offered on XP. I must play it, and so I’m finally apparently-mostly-up grading. It’s a funny old world.

• Boosterh says:

I’m in the (Canadian) military, and most of the machines in my office were only upgraded to Win7 over last year. We still have one or two that are XP. Between security checking software the size of an OS for installation on classified systems, the glacial pace of the military procurement process, and ensuring that all of our military specific programs are new OS compatible (including programs we share with other nations) upgrading OS is considerably more difficult than it is for private users.

• Hmm-Hmm. says:

I probably won’t update my old iMac to a newer version of Windows. I tend to stay away from Windows-exclusive content anyway, and online bits I do on MacOS, so all I need is to run the games I already can.. which doesn’t require a newer version.

But if I get a new computer (which might be a Windows native machine, I’m not sure about that, really) I will definitely get the latest version.

• fish99 says:

By all means have automatic updates turned on by default, but there should be a way to turn it off for advanced users. All I want from windows update is a notification there’s updates available, not for it to download and install them when I’m gaming, or even worse to reboot my PC for me.

• mattevansc3 says:

Windows 10 will automatically install CRITICAL updates. Drivers, optional updates and non-critical patches work as normal.

Pro versions get to defer because as the name suggests its designed more for businesses who would want to test the updates first.

• KDR_11k says:

I think that deferring stuff may refer to the two-stage patch roll-out, some people get the patches as they are released, more conservative people can wait until the guinea pigs have made sure the patches don’t break anything. So it seems like they force home users to always be guinea pigs for the business users.

• mattevansc3 says:

The fast ring is an opt-in option. By default everyone is on the slow ring.

The deferring option is there because businesses can use Pro, they don’t (or shouldn’t) use Home edition. Its standard practice for businesses to test and batch the updates so they are installed in one go outside of business hours. Its why Patch Tuesday exists.

10. AngoraFish says:

Copypasta from gizmodo now? Seriously?

11. Saarlaender39 says:

My two cents:

–Media Center will be removed.
    So what? Never used it anyways.

–Watching DVDs requires separate playback software.
    Almost never watch DVDs on my PC. And whenever I do – VLC does the trick. So, once again – so what?

–Windows 7 desktop gadgets will be removed as part of installing Windows 10.
    Tried the gadgets, when I first started Win7 – found them pretty useless. Nothing lost.

–Windows 10 Home users will have updates from Windows Update automatically available. Windows 10 Pro and Windows 10 Enterprise users will have the ability to defer updates.
    And again – so what? I have automatic updates enabled anyways (and never encountered problems with that), AND (as a Win 8.1 Pro user) – I will be getting Win 10 Pro – so I am allowed to defer updates, if I ever think, I must.

–Solitaire, Minesweeper, and Hearts Games that come pre-installed on Windows 7 will be removed as part of installing the Windows 10 upgrade. Microsoft has released our version of Solitaire and Minesweeper called the “Microsoft Solitaire Collection” and “Microsoft Minesweeper.”
    So the replacement is already confirmed – where’s the actual news?

–If you have a USB floppy drive, you will need to download the latest driver from Windows Update or from the manufacturer’s website.
    See, now it gets interesting…no – wait! The last time I used a floppy (USB, or otherwise) was…erm…can’t say, really…it was sooo looong agooo.

–If you have Windows Live Essentials installed on your system, the OneDrive application is removed and replaced with the inbox version of OneDrive.
    I haven’t, but I do have OneDrive already, so…you can guess, can’t you? ;)

• Phier says:

Over the years, I’ve had a couple of updates fubar something, once my laptop, thank jebus for a restore point. Long story short, I like a few million people beta test the updates before I install.

• mattevansc3 says:

Microsoft have stated the plan is for critical updates only. So patches for 0 Day Exploits and that type of thing. Optional updates will remain optional.

• Saarlaender39 says:

LionsPhil: “This is the software update equivalent of every other dumb “Fuck you Jack, I’m alright!” position ever espoused.”

Well, since I’m using Windows (and its automatic updates) like forever – AND I NEVER (!) encountered problems through that feature, I’m quite happy with my “Fuck you Jack, I’m alright!” – attitude!

But thank you very much, for commenting on MY TWO CENTS .

• Arglebargle says:

My several significant problems with auto update, in time critical situations, trumps your ‘I’m okay, so what.’

I haven’t had automatic updates on in years. Since I will be going Pro, I will be able to continue that. Won’t help the poor bastids who get hosed by the inevitable Windows glitches though.

• Geebs says:

Auto-updates are terrible. Even MacOS X leaves it up to the user to chose when to restart, rather than the Windows approach of restarting whenever the heck it likes, including “in the middle of a game”, “in the middle of a download” and “during vital system maintenance”.

You can turn indeed automatic updates off, but of course means that it will periodically pop up from the taskbar and nag you to turn then back on.

• jrodman says:

it’s even possible to remove the auto-restart behavior, though quite sad that the default is to lose your data automatically.

• Borsook says:

@Automatic updates – this is not LInux and MS doesn’t know how to make updates that do not require restarts. Recently I had to do a bad sector check on a drive that lasted 3 weeks (no kidding) Windows forced a restart on my in the middle of that. Sure, using the registry I disabled it and I am pretty sure it will be possible in 10 too, but there are cases when knowing better than the actual user just does not work.

• buxcador says:

I have bad news for you: On Windows 10 Preview, Microsoft removed most registry hacks, and didn’t documented what replaced it.

12. DigitalSignalX says:

Don’t forget the xbox app. That lovely gem that will automatically catalog every game you own regardless of publisher who will exert Steam-like features into your games and onto the LIVE community. Enjoy the hell out of that. :/

• FurryLippedSquid says:

I shall tell it not to.

Pretty simple.

• Llewyn says:

Excellent, finally there will be a definitive answer to the question of what is and isn’t a game.

13. Be_reasonable says:

I use Windows media Center as a DVR (HDhomerun prime), so it looks like this is a no go for me. Also, my Acronis backup image software is specifically for this version. I’m not upgrading. Happy where I am.

14. Bernardo says:

The forced update thing might be more nefarious. Forbes argues that MS has developed a taste for adware-like stuff (like, you know, the very thing they installed that constantly reminds you to update to Win 10) or “nagware” and suggests that the company moves in a direction similar to Facebook or Google. They also suggest a connection to plans for the new “Windows” (no numbers) that MS is developing as a successor to Win 10: “Windows 10 will be the last numbered version of the OS and going forward it will simply become a ‘Windows’ subscription service.” And it might be that Windows 10 then simply force updates to an OS that is a subscription service. So, “free” might be a bit of an understatement.
    Sources:
    link to forbes.com
    link to forbes.com

• mattevansc3 says:

Yes, an op-ed article with zero backing evidence is such a good thing to base an opinion on.

• Bernardo says:

That is why, if you read closely, you will see many qualifiers like “might”, “argue” and “they suggest” in my comment, not a strong opinion.

• Sakkura says:

Article? It’s a blog post. Nothing more.

• TormDK says:

Since the regular user (Which are the 99%) do not know enough to do basic cybersecurity, forcing updates on them is a GOOD THING.

Windows today has the same problem as Android (version fragmentation), so the sooner we are on the same modern platform the better.

• RobF says:

I’d be very surprised if “Windows as a service” didn’t go a similar way as the Xbox dash post-NXE. That would be half the point of enabling live tile functionality in the first place. However, unlike with Xbox, they’ll no doubt take these things a lot slower with Windows 10 onwards, especially after they got burned so hard with 8/8.1 adoption.

• buxcador says:

In other words, next time Microsoft want to push some offensive crap like the Metro/”modern” interface, you will suddenly find that your computer no more works as you expect, you do not have a say on it, and you don’t know how to use it just when you need to finish your mission critical work.

15. trollomat says:

I’d like to know if I will somehow be able to do a fresh install of Win10 instead of overwriting my 7 (and being guaranteed to end up with piles of junk files all over the system).

16. kud13 says:

Are they going to remove Spider Solitaire?

If so, no deal, M$oft, sticking with 7 on both my desktop and my laptop.

17. liquidsoap89 says:

I’m sure this has been asked a million times before, but if we just upgrade from Win 7 or 8, will we be given a Win 10 product key that we can use to reformat should the need arise? Or would we at least be able to find the product key with a key finder? I’m not interested in a free upgrade if it’s not permanent, and I prefer to do a full wipe instead of creating a backup.

• killias2 says:

I just realized that this looks shifty on its own. It’s a link to an Ars Technica article that seems to broadly answer your question.

• liquidsoap89 says:

Thanks for that. So it looks like I’ll be upgrading to Win 10 if that’s the case!

• mattevansc3 says:

When you upgrade to Windows 10 your CD Key is converted to a Win10 key. Basically after the first upgrade you don’t need to install Win7/8.1 first on a reinstall because you can’t, you can only install Win10.

• LionsPhil says:

Aha, so they are revoking 7/8 keys that make use of this. One to avoid like the plague, then.

• fish99 says:

Since they keep using that phrase ‘for the life of the device’ that means you lose your retail Win7 key and get an OEM Win10 key which probably stops working when you change motherboards. To me that’s not a great deal if that’s how it works. It means you’ll probably end up buying Win10 after all, just 12-18 months later.

• All is Well says:

Could you please link to where they say that, because I can’t seem to find anything about the old key being revoked? I’d hate it if it were true – it would mean people would lose multiple-install Windows 7/8 keys in exchange for a 10 license limited to a single device, even if they are pretty lenient on what constitutes a “single device”, which they probably will be.

• FadedEchos says:

According to an answer on microsoft’s site the old key is not used up, and you can still re-install win 7:
        Link: link to answers.microsoft.com

18. Horg says:

Good luck to the brave nerdcanaries who will be first into the strange new environment of Win 10. Those of you who don’t survive, chocked to death on the suffocating miasma of launch bugs and ”helpful” ”new” ”features”, can rest in peace knowing that you have improved the experience of those who will follow. I will not be among you, i’ll just be over there, shouting words of encouragement with a bucket of popcorn.

• airmikee says:

Do you not realize that people have been running Win10 for months already without “launch bugs”?

• All is Well says:

Well to be fair, not having any launch bugs isn’t all that impressive for a OS that hasn’t been launched yet :)

• airmikee says:

To be fair, the majority of Windows launches have been relatively bug-free. I didn’t pick up Vista until a few years after release, and I’ve never tried 8, but 7, XP, 2000/NT, ME (on a clean, fresh install), 98, 95, and 3.1 all launched without any major internal issues. The OS change may cause incompatibilities with other programs, but that’s not a problem with the underlying OS, but with MS and other developers not playing well together.

I’m not saying Microsoft is perfect in any way, shape, or form, they’ve definitely done some weird and/or insane things in the past, but their OS launches have always been relatively smooth. At least compared to the recent iOS launch that was so terribad that Apple removed the update, rolled everyone back to their previous version, and then fixed the problem.

• Asurmen says:

Each to their own, but I can’t say I’ve ever understood this level of paranoia about Windows OS releases. It’s like people are expecting their computers to combust. Do you honestly think Microsoft would still be in business if their software failed to any significant degree?

Different matter if using home computer is your job or certain pieces of software are major parts of your hobby or whatever.

• LionsPhil says:

…certain pieces of software are major parts of your hobby…

You are kinda posting in the comments section of a PC gaming blogthing.

• Asurmen says:

I’m talking like, a video or photo editor not working. Bit different than every single game you own not working.

• LionsPhil says:

Games are not fungible. It only has to be the one you particularly want to play.

• Asurmen says:

They completely and utterly are.

• LionsPhil says:

If that were true, exclusives would not be a problem.

“Half-Life 3 is only available on Wii U? No problem, I’ll just play Civilization 6 instead!”

• Asurmen says:

Well, seeing as that is a thing that happens I think you’ve proven my point, but I’m not sure what a console exclusive has to do with whether an OS stops your hobby from working. It doesn’t unless it kills every single game you own. It’s a different scenario than OS killing that one program from working.

Not playing another game is simply your own restrictive choice. It has no relevance to the argument.

• LionsPhil says:

Perhaps you ought to look up what “fungible” means, then.

• jrodman says:

To be fair, it’s kind of an odd vocabulary word.

• Arglebargle says:

Monopoly position allows you to do all sorts of dumb things and not suffer properly for it.

• Asurmen says:

Well, no that’s incorrect but I’m not sure what having a monopoly has to do with forced updates.

• buxcador says:

The nerdcanary of me tested Windows 10 Preview for months, and I’m completely disgusted and scared with the mountains of things over which I no more have control.

I’m an early adopter of anything, and already decided that I will not use Windows 10.

19. King in Winter says:

Those deprecations don’t look like affecting me much at all. I’m only vaguely aware of what windows media center is – some kind of playback software? One of the first things I install to a fresh windows is CCCP + MCP and that’ll run pretty much every video media I need to. Similarly, I don’t use my PC for DVD playback, that’s a job for my DVD/BD player, chip-jobbed to ignore region codes. I don’t know what “desktop gadgets” for my W7 would be, and the rest of the stuff doesn’t really affect me.

basilisk says:

While it’s true that the Win8 iteration of Solitaire, Minesweeper et al. is dreadful, it’s trivial to simply copy the .exe files from a W7 installation. So yes, it’s a tremendously stupid decision, but it’s not like the games themselves are becoming unavailable.

21. Kerr Avon says:

“Watching DVDs requires separate playback software” Right… but who wants to watch an old DVD anyway when you could be watching the BluRay version?! Seriously though, if this is being removed and the whole thing being dumbed-down even more, what’s being added again? What’s the point in “upgrading”? Other than giving Microsoft another reason for staying in business, that is? Let me guess… adding a few hidden “useful features” like say, more tools for them to collate, spy and sell on our private data and user logs (collected from regular “updates”, the cloud, biometrics etc.) to the highest bidder, right? Sounds like the Idiots’ OS, right out of Mike Judge’s Idiocracy…

• mattevansc3 says:

You could never watch Blu-Rays on Windows without additional software. Adding Blu-Ray (and DVD) playback requires Microsoft to pay for a license based on volumes of their OS even if its not used.

Its not dumbing down. Its just plain common sense in not adding a licencing cost to everybody’s copy of Windows for the sake of a few customers.

• airmikee says:

Yeah, I know what you mean. Being forced to download VLC player to watch DVD’s is going to be such a huge hassle, I may just stop watching DVD’s on my computer. Oh wait, I already did that years ago. Nevermind.

• PoulWrist says:

Considering the amount of hate Microsoft has gotten from anti-monopoly institutions for their bundled software, I wouldn’t really say it’s dumbing anything down.

22. Janichsan says:

The irony about this is that Mac OS X still supports floppy disks out of the box, despite Apple having been the first to leave them behind…

• Borsook says:

Because they are using Linux-like kernel, the support is built-in, it has never been Apple’s decision. Apple is the author of a tiny fraction of what Mac OS X is.

• LionsPhil says:

OS X has almost nothing to do with Linux.

The userland is BSD, a different UNIX (although in practice the actual Mac-flavoured userland is not built on UNIX principles or standards and is very, well, Mac-flavoured).

The kernel is derived from Mach, which has a fundamentally different (and more modern) design than Linux.

23. Rack says:

“Windows 10 Home users will have updates from Windows Update automatically available. Windows 10 Pro and Windows 10 Enterprise users will have the ability to defer updates.”

Nope.

24. newprince says:

As people have noted, there’s lots of third party programs that do almost all these things better, anyway.

For gadgets, you should grab . It’s 20 times better, and gadgets were removed because of vulnerabilities.

25. kevmscotland says:

Anyone know if we can upgrade to Windows 10 and then if we don’t like it downgrade/reinstall our original Windows 7/8 copies or is the key then invalid since we upgraded?

26. Frank says:

Those aren’t even features, just software packaged with the OS. Good riddance and I hope this indicates the beginning of their retreat from non-cloud software (apart from the OS itself).

27. C0nt1nu1ty says:

Lack of native DVD playing software is a minor concern for my job. Yes I know everything is done on memory sticks (which our security goon patrol have not only banned but made a little patronising video with racist kung fu overtones to remind us exactly how banned they are) but we do need to have something approved to play those weird shiny coffee coasters on.

Other than that *shrugs* just sounds like there removing old legacy dross. If you really really really need media center then just use XBLC, Plex or one of their competitors. I miss widgets but they were taken out as people have said for being gaping holes into the innards of your OS. So far I’m ok with all this, mostly shedding dead weight that would cost licencing money disproportionate from their actual use.

28. melancholicthug says:

Oh noes! Not the Windows Media! … said no one ever.

29. buxcador says:

RPS doe not mention the most important things dropped:

1- Your privacy. Windows 10 will record your fingerprints, everything you say at reach of a microphone, and everything you do in front of the camera, and will do it for profit, and is not limited to the cameras and microphones on the computer which has Windows 10 installed. That’s what Windows 10 license says.
    You give Microsoft the right to record anything about you, and sell it, or use it for profit.

2- Your liberty. Windows license says that Microsoft can change any clause at will, so you sign a blank contract. Microsoft can do anything without limitations.

3- Uninstalling applications. You lose control over uninstalling software. Windows comes with a load of non removable addware: bing finances, bing travel, bing weather, bing recipes, and dozens of spammy addware occupying more than 2 Gb of your expensive SSD, over which you, at best can only remove the icon, but not remove the files.

• MercurialJack says:

Do you have any citation for any of those three, because they sound incredibly hyperbolic and overblown.

I know MS want to use your mic to listen to things for the PC version of Cortana, but I’ve never seen or read anything, anywhere, about them recording mic and camera 100% of the time, nor selling any data they get from those. ESPECIALLY not on multiple devices.

• buxcador says:

Yes, I have: read the Windows 10 license.

It says everything I said, and in no place it says that any recording will be restricted to the computer running Windows. Ask any lawyer, and he will tell you that, as written, it is not restricted to Windows 10.
        Worse, it does not have any expiration clause. You use Windows 10 once, and Microsoft rights never expire.

Those are not “mistakes”. No t even a cheap lawyer would make such “mistakes”, and Microsoft has very expensive lawyers.

• buxcador says:

These are extracts of the license (Google that text, and you will verify that it is not only on Windows 10 license, but on many Microsoft products and services):

“We may share or disclose information about you with other Microsoft-controlled subsidiaries and affiliates, and with vendors or agents working on our behalf”
        ANYBODY making business with Microsoft is either a subsidiary, affiliate, vendor, or agent working on Microsoft behalf.

“Microsoft shares some data with our partners”
        “Many features that transmit data to Microsoft are enabled automatically. You will not have the option to turn off the transmission of data for certain features in the Program software and services.”

“Microsoft collects many kinds of information in a variety of ways…”
        “Examples of data we may collect include…”
        …” your name, email address, preferences and interests; location, browsing, search and file history; phone call and SMS data; device configuration and sensor data; voice, text and writing input; and application usage…”
        “…voice input features…”
        “…when you open a file, we may collect information about the file…”

Notice the phrase “sensor data”? ANY sensor. That includes fingerprints, sound, video, GPS data…

You cannot opt out.

On windows 8, you could do things like disabling web search when you searched your files. No more. In Windows 10 you cannot disable it, not even by editing the register, and it uses bing. You cannot change to google, configure or disable it.
        You cannot uninstall the camera software, and it runs automatically. There is not even a right click “uninstall” (that only deletes the icon on other “apps”).

• MercurialJack says:

Thanks for taking the time to reply in such a detailed fashion. You have almost changed my mind. There’s only the small issue that it says it “may” or “can” record all these inputs and store them, not that it will, which is what you implied. “Examples of data we may collect include…” It’s a beta build currently – I would expect them to collect as much user information as they can to help diagnose issues while the product is still technically in a test phase.

In terms of the search, I use the Everything search program rather than Windows’ native search because it is leaps and bounds better in terms of functionality and efficacy, but you’re right that their search comments are worrying.

All the Bing- stuff doesn’t really bother me. After all, you don’t have to use it. Admittedly it’s annoying that it sits there taking up space, but almost every OS has a little bloat you can’t quite remove fully.

As someone else pointed out below, perhaps they are a beta build set of EULA terms, which will be changed for full release.

• buxcador says:

I made those screen captures on Windows 10 Preview, just for you:

Now look at those 2 Gb of data on the “infusedapps” and “Windowsapps” folder:

link to i.imgur.com
        link to i.imgur.com

I tried to uninstall EVERYTHING on those folders.
        All those “apps” named bingfinance, bing food and crap, bing health, bing news, bing weather, and crap? I rightclicked on each one, and clicked on the menu Uninstall. None was removed. Only their Icons. I used software for file and disk trace, and I guarantee to you: No attemp to remove them was made, and they occupy gigabytes of disk space.

See the ones named “cortana”, OneNote, Reader, Photos, Camera, and crap like that? There is no way at all to uninstall them. Not even the fake “Uninstall” choice which removes the icons.

• 51alpha says:

To be fair, the text you were referring is the privacy statement for Windows 10 Insider Preview and I believe it is intended for those people who are beta testing the OS. I think it is pretty reasonable to gather some information about the users and their behavior in this stage. After all, beta testers are supposed to be advanced users who know the risks of using an untested software, right?

Windows 10 has not even been released yet. I’m sure they will change the policy for end-user.

30. ansionnach says:

Missing from the list above is XP Mode, which only works on windows 7. It’s possible to download and extract the VM so you can use it in 8 and (presumably) 10, but you lose the handy integration of XP applications with your primary OS. If you’re running a 64-bit version of windows XP Mode is good for running “mission-critical” 16-bit windows apps like Civ2 2.42, the windows versions of various Sierra adventures and Chip’s Challenge…

31. Uninteresting Curse File Implement says:

Are you absolutely positive? Not even some kind of jail?