A Survival Game With Giant Robots: Goliath Announced

Go collect your own damn twigs.

Even silly survival games stay relatively down-to-earth with what you need to collect and craft to survive. Collecting seventeen twigs to weave a colander to drain the spaghetti harvested from spaghetti trees! Collect a stick and three pointy twigs to make a fork to eat the spaghetti! Let’s not even start on the effort of whipping up a decent spaghetti sauce. Goliath [official site] is thinking a bit bigger, literally – with mecha.

Recently announced, it’ll see folks doing the usual harvest-o-scavenge-a-crafting shenanigans but with giant robots to build. Game Informer compare a demo they saw to Don’t Starve.

It sounds like Goliath isn’t going too hard on the constant nagging demand for food and water (how are people in survival games always so ravenous?), focusing more on making tools and, obvs, giant robots. It’s a campaign rather than a sandbox, see, with a brewing war where you can side with factions, trying to placate it or barrelling straight into robocombat.

Apparently it has dozens of different robots to craft, along with customisable weapons and whatnot. Once you’ve learned how to make them.

It’ll have co-op campaign support and competitive arena battles too.

The game’s broadly slated to launch in “early 2016”, developed by newcomers Whalebox Studio and published by Viva Media. Here’s the announcement trailer:

1. RegisteredUser says:

Quite honestly, I am super sick and tired of these “hit a rock 50 times to generate 1 smaller rock, then collect 10 of those to create an oblong rock, which you can then combine with 5 other things to..*fell asleep*” games.

Why can’t crafting be made casual? Like okay, so I do have to go out into somewhere dangerous and harvest resources, but its basically automated and I can focus more on the survival part and less on the obnoxious grindfest without challenge or gameplay. How about that?
    When I see a game with cool ideas like ARK I can’t help but wonder whether an open world with a much larger focus on just actually PLAYING around in it wouldn’t be much, much more successful than all of this minecraft cloning to no end.

Or maybe I’m just old and want to have fun instead of grind, I don’t know anymore.
    I miss having fun.

• Crafter says:

It is not just you. This is the facet of sandbox games that I can’t bear.
      Without becoming casual, there are probably ways to create mechanics that do not rely that much on grinding.
      For example with automated mining machines or maybe a trade system, we could eliminate most of the grind.

• Sian says:

Roguelands might appeal to you both. Might. It’s recently been kickstartered, so there’s no telling what it’ll end up being like, but check out the second gif on their kickstarter page:
        link to kickstarter.com

I’m guessing that you still need to do some work yourself to unlock the drones, but once you have them, they’ll do the work with but a single click.

• Hedgeclipper says:

ik multiplayer

Factorio is another one that automates things

• nearly says:

I’ve got to admit, it gets to me in other games too. When I find a camp in The Witcher 3 and have to loot 6 different boxes that have variously useless things like twine and broken ladders, I wonder why the game doesn’t care about my time. It may make the world feel a little more fleshed out but ultimately it’s just another kind of placeholder and one that needlessly extends the time I’m playing for no real benefit. With The Witcher 3, it feels that much more egregious because of the door loading in previous titles, just to get into houses that didn’t really have much of anything in them. Clearly that wasn’t desirable, so why should this be?

The same with crafting or harvesting scenes. No, I do not want to watch an unskippable animation of the tiger not being skinned. Please just let me play.

• Sian says:

I once looted a broken rake from a small jewelry box. I otherwise loved the game, but if the random junk in lootable containers was supposed to make the world feel fleshed out, it failed miserably. Pulled me right out of it.

• NooklearToaster says:

I’d suggest looking into TerraTech. It’s the same kind of open world explore-pew-pew game, and you can take all the bits and bobs you pick up to assemble your own army of workers who will then do the tedious parts for you. From the bit I’ve tried it seems like you can automate things right around the point where they start to get tedious, letting you enjoy the crafting while it’s still fresh.

You can also build bodyguards amd set them to either protect you base or follow you around and descend upon your enemies in a swarm. Always fun rolling around deserts with your own personal army :)

• Yglorba says:

It’s also worth noting that probably the most successful survival / crafting game in history, Minecraft, actually doesn’t have you do very much grinding at all (unless you want to build some kind of megastructure, which is optional.) Almost all equipment can be built relatively easily once you’ve found the materials; you don’t have to grind up huge amounts of wood or ore or even diamonds.

I think that many lesser survival games use grinding as a substitute for content, the same way bad RPGs use it. Far easier to multiply the amounts of materials your players need by ten than to make ten times as much content.

Phasma Felis says:

You might look into Factorio, which looks like every other crafting game for the first five minutes or so, and then you realize that it’s actually about automating those trivial tasks so you can increase your output exponentially.

At the start of the game, you’ll be finding an ore patch and hitting it with a pick to mine iron. Output: ~1 iron/3 seconds.

By the end of the game, you’ll be finding an ore patch and deploying a prefab blueprint instructing your construction drones to cover the entire patch with dozens of automated mining drills feeding onto a network of conveyor belts that deliver the ore to a collection point where robot arms load it onto a robo-controlled freight train which delivers the ore to your smelter complex which outputs iron and steel bars into your storage array from which your logistics drones distribute them far and wide to fill the varied demands of your hundreds of automated assemblers and chemical plants, which turn the iron and steel (and copper and stone and oil) into everything your entire vast complex needs to function, from fortifications to electronics to, ultimately, a starship. Output: ~3000 iron/second.

It’s pretty cool.

2. jonahcutter says:

Sounds like a cool concept, but the goliaths don’t look very goliath-y. I don’t mean their size necessarily, but in how they move and play. They still move and fight with the same speed and grace that a human-sized figure does. It would be a lot more interesting for me if they actually felt and played like bigger creatures, instead of simply scaled up visually.

3. racccoon says:

hmmm strange.. but who knows..

4. iamgenestarwind says:

who is that song by i really like iti have found out that the title is king of the jungle but there are so many songs wit those names any one know who the song is sung by ?