Mega Man Mega Bundle: Mega Man Legacy Collection

I always enjoy Mega Man's look of dismay.

While the co-creator of Mega Man is busy making a new Mega Man in all but name, the platforming robot’s publishers are taking the easy option and re-releasing old Mega Man games.

Capcom today announced the Mega Man Legacy Collection, a bundle o’ the first six classic Mega Man games (no Mega Man X here) – their official PC debuts. They’re not doing nowt with ’em, mind. The Collection will include a ‘Challenge Mode’ which Capcom say “remixes gameplay segments from all six games”. What that means, they don’t quite say, so let’s assume they’ve got in a bangin’ producer to reinterpret Mega Man as a vaporwave walking simulator.

All right, maybe that is unlikely. Fine, go on then, I had a look and found Capcom do explain more about the mode in this here blog post:

“Challenge Mode takes moments from each title and weaves them into a series of, well, challenges! So things like ‘can you do these six areas strung together with one life bar’ or ‘try fighting all six Mega Man 1 bosses in a row.’ And to keep the quest for the best time alive, the top performers in each Challenge will have their replay data uploaded and viewable to everyone! There will be many challenges to vex seasoned players AND help train newcomers in the ways of the Blue Bomber.”

The Collection will also have a database of enemies and a ‘museum’ with a load of old artwork and visuals scanned in at high-res.

Mega Man Legacy is slated to launch some time this summer at the price of $14.99 (£10-ish).

1. PoulWrist says:

Oh wow, outside of consoles :o I think I want this.

2. Chaoslord AJ says:

I’m assuming you mean they release it on PC?
    That’s great, not only can I get them legally, not implying anything of course but the next generation of gamers can experience those fine hours of gaming as well.
    So many fond memories of pushing through MM3 (screeenshot above).

• Tukuturi says:

There’s nothing illegal per se about using emulation software to run cartridge ROMs on your OS of choice.

Wisq says:

But everything illegal about downloading said ROMs, and most people don’t have the means to extract the ROMs themselves.

Format shifting is legal, but only if you do it yourself. Downloading already-shifted digital images is not, even if you own the goods in question.

• Tukuturi says:

That depends on where you are, and often it’s a mess legally speaking. For instance, in the US it’s often illegal for libraries to make copies of archived media, which is part of the stated and understood purpose of libraries. There have been a few laws here dealing with copying copyrighted electronic media, but none of them are clearly worded, and I’m not familiar with a single legal precedent regarding cartridge ROMs or their distribution.

• ninnyjams says:

Oh come off it. It’s illegal — it’s not allowed — just accept that. I’m fine with it, you’re fine with it, quit trying to justify it.

• Tukuturi says:

Accept that what I’m saying is actually the opposite of that, which is that it’s not illegal.

Dukey says:

Nobody’s talking here about making a copy for yourself. Distributing that copy (or downloading somebody else’s) IS illegal.

• jrodman says:

In post-1970s copyright, copyright violation is a civil issue, comparable to, for example, tresspassing. So if no one actually cares that it’s done, the issue of allowed or not is completely academic.
            It’s only jurisdictions that have passed a DMCA-era law where it’s criminalized.

Many jurisdictions have never passed a comparable law.

• Trillby says:

Here in Switzerland, none of this is illegal.
            As, with anyone who stops to think about it, is how it should be.

• socrate says:

yeah we see 50 people each day go to prison because of this /rolleye.

but seriously if not for emulator these game with these horrible adaptation to 3d and reboot and w/e dumb gimmiky game they tried to make out of these IP would be dead and forgotten if not for this so call illegal thing

i hate these damn white knight.

• Apocalypse says:

Depends on local laws, sometimes even the downloading is perfectly legal if you have a valid licence.

3. Mediocre Wayne says:

Isn’t that song one of the combat musics from Shadowrun Returns? Now I’m super confused.

• Ryuuga says:

Sounds like it was inspired by the cutman theme from megaman 1, just with a liberal sprinkle of dubstep, or something?

• Mediocre Wayne says:

Oh wow my mind is blown now thanks for thi;, I now consider megaman shadowrun canon

4. internisus says:

The story here is bigger than this Mega Man collection. The people behind it want to be like The Criterion Collection for games, and they seem to get it:

Digitize a movie once, and it’s watchable forever, no matter how technology evolves. Scan a book, and it can be reprinted infinitely. Port a game, and it’s only playable on that one platform… getting it running anywhere else would require a significant amount of work and investment.

The Eclipse Engine solves this problem by putting all of the porting needs on the engine itself, not the games. Once a game is converted to our Eclipse format, it will run anywhere Eclipse does. And we’ll keep it updated, too, meaning that wherever we go, the games can easily follow.

link to digitaleclipse.com

• Tukuturi says:

That’s cool! Thanks for sharing.

• pepperfez says:

So the Eclipse Engine is a collection of open-source emulators and a proprietary front-end, right? Otherwise they rewrote a bunch of software that’s been floating around the public domain for ages, which would be absurd. I know it makes me a filthy pirate-hippy, but I don’t like this whole thing very much.

• Tukuturi says:

Fair enough, but you still have the choice to play the originals. It sounds like they’re trying to offer the games commercially as a way of supporting an archive, which I’m all for. As operating systems and computing technologies change, the emulators we use now will be phased out. While it’s very likely that new, free projects will take their place, it can’t hurt to have a more systematic way of archiving these games than crossing your fingers and hoping the internet does it.

• jrodman says:

Well, they claim to have been doing emulation since a 1995 release, and at least the mobygames entry for that title suggests it was more efficient than MAME at emulating those games. So it’s possible they’ve had their own codebase kicking around for a long time.

Personally I don’t see “run your game on our proprietary code” as really being about restoration or longevity, but if it gets older games released for sale in their original form then that seems like a step up.

Personally, if I was a MAME or WinUAE or whatever developer, I’d love the idea of my code being used to bring those ancient games back to the market. Sadly rights management is a mess, so even if this comes to pass I expect it’s going to be a tiny fraction of the old games.

• wilynumber13 says:

According to the project lead Frank Cifaldi on twitter, it’s actually not emulation at all going on in this package. They actually rebuilt the game in this new engine of theirs.
        link to twitter.com

The reasoning is that this makes it easier to port the game to future platforms (like Playstation 5 or whatever). If they port the Digital Engine to a new system, any game they rebuilt in the Engine will be able to appear on the new platform much more easily, rather than the current way its done where they start from scratch on every new system.

• jrodman says:

Well he may be claiming that now, but it directly contradicts other statements digital eclipse has made about their technology. Also I don’t really see why I would believe that it was cost effective to re-implement 6 editions of Megaman and then stamp out the invariable bugs in the process.

No, this is just going to be “today, we decided to claim our secret sauce is better than emulation”.

• jrodman says:

I mean there’s room for doing things like transliterating the 6502 instruction stream into some kind of bytecode representation, but that’s just an implementation detail of the emulation. If you’re clever about it, it might make things like graphics substitution easier, which would fit with their goals.

The only sane thing that could be being claimed here is “this isn’t _just_ NES emulation”.

5. InternetBatman says:

One thing I’ve noticed is that even though companies do sometimes offer games legally on computer, they almost never have feature parity with emulators. I will sometimes buy newly available games I’ve been playing for years, but then slowly go back to the emulator.

• pepperfez says:

Yeah, I guess I’m not super impressed with being offered the option to pay for an experience at best equal to what I’ve had for free for years. And even if it would be great if every currently emulated game became legally purchasable again (I have my doubts about this), it’ll never happen because the main enemy of digital preservation is the creators of the content. The importance of emulation lies exactly in its existence outside of the industry, so emulator developers aren’t subject to the whims of publishers trying to erase their history.

• jrodman says:

Out of curiosity: what features do you tend to prefer from the emulators?

For myself, I’m a wimp, and for old games I prefer savestates. I also play a lot of RPGs, and for old games am happy to use warp buttons for some parts that aren’t grabbing me at the time.

6. ExitDose says:

If anyone needs a Mega Man X fix on a PC, I recommend giving 20XX a look. It’s currently on Early Access, but it seems really promising.

7. Press X to Gary Busey says:

Mega Man 1 and 3 was “ported” to DOS in 1990 and ’92. link to i.imgur.com The first one was made from scratch by one person in a few months as a fan project with his own original code and art, completely without any music. Capcom USA thought it was good enough to also let him do Mega Man 3…

About the X-series, Mega Man X got ported to DOS in 1995. Followed by X3 and X4 for Windows in 1998, Mega Man Legends in ’01, X5 in ’02, X7 in ’03 and finally X8 in ’05.

I bet I’ve missed some as Capcom has made ports for everything to every device that ever existed, it’s a mess to look up. I don’t think the current people at Capcom are even aware about half the stuff they’ve done already or they’ve lost too much code to re-release some of their old stuff on PC.

[Sources: MobyGames and the Swedish game mag Level, jan 2015 issue]

8. BooleanBob says:

What I’d really hope to see is Megaman 9 and 10 come to PC. They’re in a weird space right now, only existing on the XBLA, PSN and WiiWare services, all of which are now officially last-gen and surely headed to a server cull near you within the next few years. I don’t think Capcom would put themselves in a position where numbered instalments of a flagship series could just vanish into the ether, but until they actually make moves to stop that happening, I’ll remain noivus.

9. Cantisque says:

What’s this “HD flair” they mention?

It doesn’t even look like they’ve gone through the trouble of making them widescreen. Cave Story and Sonic CD did it…

• wilynumber13 says:

I’m not totally sure what the “HD flair” is supposed to mean, but it’s definitely not laziness preventing them from making the game widescreen, it’s the game’s design itself. The game is constructed as a series of 4:3 rooms, there’s no way to reasonably make that widescreen. Plus it messes with other aspects of level design and play mechanics, such as the rate of fire (you can only have three shots on screen at a time) and enemy spawns and timing.

It looks like you can optionally stretch the screen to widescreen dimensions, but anyone who chooses to do that is just terrible because it ruins the art.

• jrodman says:

Sonic was designed as a continuous scrolling play area, so it seems pretty plausible to just show more to the left & right. It probably required some tinkering with the code, but plausibly not very much.