Retronaut: Another Mighty No. 9 Gameplay Trailer

Keiji Inafune’s decision to create Mighty No. 9 [official site], presumably by chanting “Mega Man” into an old mirror until it was called into existence like some sort of eternal Gilgamesh, suggests the kind of industry power I too hope to one day yield. “What year is this?” I’d bellow to my staff. “It’s 2015, Ma’am,” they squeak and shudder. Then, as if planned ahead of time, I’d point knowingly at the Blossom fan club newsletter I’ve been writing on my IBM and remind them it’s 1994 and it has been for over 20 years.

This is the sort of dedication to retro I expect went into Mighty No. 9.

It’s in this spirit, I imagine, that the developer’s have brought out a Retro Hero mode for you guys who pre-order. In it hero Beck (??) dons a retro-inspired suit, complete with 8-bit pew pew audio effects and access to an insta-death mode where one hit results in doom.

The insta-death mode actually isn’t exclusive to pre-orders: the core game will include a slightly different one-hit death mode that can be unlocked, although the studio isn’t quite ready to speak in detail on that.

Mighty No. 9 is launching September 15th in North America, then worldwide on September 18th. You’ll be able to wrap yer grimey fingers around it on Windows, Mac or Linux for £14.99 – which translates to $19.99 in the colonies.

In the meantime, you can check out Comcept’s latest 60 FPS gameplay trailer, which is called “Beat Them At Their Own Game,” while you wait for launch day to roll around.

1. Murf says:

I know others aren’t happy, but I am personally quite excited for this one still.

• Villephox says:

I’m still excited, as well. One of two games I’ve ever KS’d, and from the beta stuff (what little I’ve played), it seems fairly solid.

• Pheeze says:

What are people not happy about? I’m kinda out of the loop on this one!

• Cantisque says:

I think a lot of people were expecting a 2D “Megaman” remake with HD sprites akin to Dust:AET or Ducktales Remastered. Didn’t help that they only posted mock-up screenshots when they launched the Kickstarter which indeed resembled a 2D game.
        I’m not too thrilled about the visuals myself. Not as bright and colourful as I was expecting.

2. Dorga says:

I had no idea you could call Gilgamesh into existence by chanting his name in front of a mirror!!!

3. Eleven says:

That video looks a lot more polished than the last. They seem to have tuned the shaders to produce a kind of hybrid between the earlier 3D look and the 2D cel shaded concept art. I love that exaggerated rim-lighting!

4. Catweasel says:

Minecraft is retro now?

5. rustybroomhandle says:

He’s a loser, baby.

6. Ryuuga says:

Looks awesome! But I don’t know if I still have enough twitch gaming in me (or patience – I was too impatient to finish a Mega Man game even as a kid..)

7. Apocalypse says:

The only thing I fear is that I will not find a good gamepad for my PC. My xbox controller is basically garbage for this kind of games as the D-PAD works for picking weapons, but not for delicate platformer games. A fighting stick is a fine solution for fighting games, but I have my doubts if I will be happy with it for mighty number 9.

Phasma Felis says:

Logitech’s F310 (wired) and F710 (wireless, rumble) are pretty good. They can emulate Xbox 360 and standard USB pads. They fucked up the input mapping on the thumbsticks so that you can’t get full extension on diagonals, but that doesn’t matter for most 2D games; most of the games where you’d notice it are games that you’d prefer to play with mouse and keyboard anyway. (Also, if it says it can’t find the driver on Windows 8.x, manually select the standard Xbox 360 gamepad driver and it should work fine.)

Also, Valve’s Steam controller is now available for preorder, and it looks fucking amazing.

• Razumen says:

PS3 controllers work great as well, there’s a program called SPC Server what will let you use them through USB or Bluetooth and it’s MUCH better than the crappy motioninjoy drivers. I have it running on all my computers; one time setup and once paired through bluetooth all I have to do is press the PS button and it’s good to go.

8. Razumen says:

Looks nice, but the gameplay looks rather bland, seems like you just shoot and dash, shoot and dash. Maybe there’s some variety and intricacies with the other powers but it all looks a bit underwhelming to me.