High-Def Leech Monsters: Resident Evil 0 Trailer

When Capcom announced a remastered version of 2002 survival horror prequel Resident Evil 0 [official site] in May, they didn’t have much to show or even say about what’d be different. It’d obviously look prettier, right, but what else?

Now a new trailer and trickle of details reveal more of how it’s prettied-up. Capcom say the new version (which is also the game’s PC debut) will bring a 16:9 widescreen option, 1080p support, 5.1 surround sound, an option for non-tanky controls, and high-resolution textures created from scratch in the style of the original. Fancy that!

The trailer is a curious thing. I thought it looked awful at first, barely better than the original Game Cube release, but I think that’s mostly an artistic decision to keep characters’ faces undetailed and silky smooth. Once snippets from the intro cutscene end and it gets into gameplay, those new high-res textures look pretty fancy all right. Sure, it’s not cutting-edge artwork, but it’s nice and moody and that’s about what I’d expect from an opulent train filled with zombies and leeches.

Capcom say they plan to launch the revamped Resident Evil 0 some time in “early 2016” but haven’t announced a price. I imagine it’ll be £15-ish like the revamped version of Resident Evil 4.

Capcom have a selection of screenshots on their blog too.

1. int says:

This is, I think, the only RE game I haven’t played (in the main series). Are there many puzzles? I loved puzzles in the early REs.

• Justoffscreen says:

There are puzzles aplenty- it’s just a shame that this is overall just a terrible, awful game.

• Press X to Gary Busey says:

I’d contest it being awful and terrible. It’s more in the style of the other early games with the gimmick/feature of solving puzzles when changing between two characters (without the horrible co-op AI of later games). The story is also about the same level as any other game in the early series. It depends on if you prefer the RE4 gameplay over the old puzzle tanks perhaps.
        I had a blast with it when I played it through with a friend, taking turns with the characters. Perhaps that skewed my enjoyment compared to playing it purely as a survival horror game alone in the dark.

• piedpiper says:

Never heard of terrible awfull games with 83 score on Metacritic. Except for Bioshlock – Binfinite.

• dethtoll says:

It’s not actually that bad. It’s just a pain to play.

• Baines says:

It’s not that good either.

Just kind of resoundingly mediocre and forgettable.

2. piedpiper says:

OMG, this girl is so adorable. Almost as cute as Jill Valentine in RE1.

• Press X to Gary Busey says:

It’s the supporting rookie character from Chris’ playthrough in RE1, somehow she survived the disaster of the S.T.A.R.S. Bravo team, shotgunning all kinds of horrible monsters yet trying to spray mace on Chris when she thought he was a zombie in RE1.
      I never played REmake much so hopefully they retconned the machinegun plot holes from Zero. :P

3. Bodylotion says:

I was pissed back in the day cause I couldn’t play Resident Evil Zero cause I did not own a Gamecube, so I might give this one a go.

• GameCat says:

It runs pretty well on Dolphin (GC/Wii emulator), even on my crappy laptop.
      But yeah, now it’s better to wait for PC release.

• Raf says:

Just want to chime in to say that the PC port probably will not run as well on your crappy computer, given how poorly REmaster was ported:
        – the game always renders at 1440 resolution and scales it down
        – slow motion issues on cutscenes
        – requirements are ridiculously high for a GC port
        – Zero (heh) support from Capcom on their Steam bug report thread (with over 2k messages on it)

• Raf says:

Make that 1.3k, but point still stands.

• piedpiper says:

Strange. I think Resident Evil Remastered is the best remaster i ever seen. Period. Pretty graphic, no bugs and stable framerate. I started to play all RE games available on PC (except 2 and 3). Sadly, they are not even nearly as great as the first game. Still have some hopes for revelations.

4. WJonathan says:

Was the “0” stabbed by a lapel pin? I’m not understanding the significance of that graphic…

• Baines says:

Old school “slash across the zero so that it isn’t confused with the letter ‘o'”?

Kind of easy for me to forget that computer monitor and printer resolutions are high enough that people might not see the need for the distinction.

5. racccoon says:

Awesome stuff : )

6. Hardlylikely says:

I hope that unlike the Resident Evil 4 port which fails to even start the game, it actually runs on my machine.

7. manny says:

Capcom should get an award for ‘shittiest game’ engine. When are they going to retire that dinosaur. Just use Unity/Gamebryo/Quantum 3 or some other wii game engine. Resident Evil is a potential AAA game franchise they are wasting due to sticking with a crappy old engine.