Come Play Games In Our Manchester Day Games Room

People often write to us at RPS to ask why we don’t have some sort of indie-focused videogame event where we take a room, put games in it, and then people can come along and play those games. Good news! We’re doing exactly that this weekend, the 13th and 14th of June. As part of Manchester Day, Manchester’s Town Hall will contain the Manchester Day Games Room, created in partnership with us. Come along!

There will be around 18 games there plus a selection of tabletop and board games curated by Tabletop Manchester. The event is free to enter and will run from 10am to 6pm on each day.

Speaking into a press release, Jim Rossignol of Rock Paper Shotgun said: “Video games have long been one of the vital elements of the UK’s creative culture, and we’re thrilled to celebrate some of the best of independent contemporary design and invention for Manchester Day.” Hi Jim!

The selection of games on show is being curated by RPS with the help of David Hayward, creator of games conference Feral Vector and curator of the Leftfield Collection at EGX Rezzed. Games at the Manchester Day Games Room include local-multiplayer pirate brawler Mutiny! and VR-enabled Descent-alike Sublevel Zero. People at the event include Rock, Paper, Shotgun’s Adam Smith and Rock, Paper, Shotgun’s Graham Smith, both of whom will be doing delighted arcs around the room on the Sunday afternoon.

Manchester Day is in its sixth year and is designed to celebrate “all things Mancunian”, and this year’s theme – Game On! – “will transform the city into an animated playground of music, outdoor theatre and process in a celebration of leisure, play and Manchester’s place in a global gaming world.” Also there will be a parade on the Sunday at 1pm and parades are brillo.

Who’s coming?

Top comments

1. Shockeh says:

Can we name drop Tabletop Manchester at this point? :)

Like board games?
    Like being accused of being things you probably are? (Assuming you're a Werewolf. Or a Cylon. Or a traitor.)
    Like being tossed out an airlock / lynched / used as sacricial pawns for Zombies?

Then come play games with us! We'll be running assorted board games in the same room for those who prefer their avatars to be on cardboard physical media, and we're a pretty chilled bunch that welcome anyone who'd like to come along & try something themselves.

If anyone wants to play games in Manchester in general:

Tabletop Manchester meets every Monday from 7:00 in The Wharf, just off Deansgate, which is a super gorgeous pub.

We play everything, varying from the card game crowd (Netrunner <3) to 'long' board games (Dead of Winter, BSG, etc.) and a lot of shorter more fun stuff (Skull, Kakerlakenpoker, Lifeboat)

There's no membership. There's no fees. You turn up, you play games, you have fun, and hopefully sooner or later you bring a game too, and shout 'Hey, anyone wanna play this?'. We've got a group on Facebook, but I won't link unless one of the RPS guys OK's it. :)
  1. Wowbagger says:

Oh man if I knew this was coming I would of made the effort to be up north.

Sad face.

Hope all involved have a great time, anything Midlandsy coming up?

2. Shockeh says:

Can we name drop Tabletop Manchester at this point? :)

Like board games?
    Like being accused of being things you probably are? (Assuming you’re a Werewolf. Or a Cylon. Or a traitor.)

Then come play games with us! We’ll be running assorted board games in the same room for those who prefer their avatars to be on cardboard physical media, and we’re a pretty chilled bunch that welcome anyone who’d like to come along & try something themselves.

If anyone wants to play games in Manchester in general:

We play everything, varying from the card game crowd (Netrunner <3) to ‘long’ board games (Dead of Winter, BSG, etc.) and a lot of shorter more fun stuff (Skull, Kakerlakenpoker, Lifeboat)

There’s no membership. There’s no fees. You turn up, you play games, you have fun, and hopefully sooner or later you bring a game too, and shout ‘Hey, anyone wanna play this?’. We’ve got a group on Facebook, but I won’t link unless one of the RPS guys OK’s it. :)

distantlurker says:

Booooo!

Clearly an attempt to Londonize all events with the excuse “well that one time we gave them 5 minutes notice for the do in Manchester, nobody turned up”.

Man I wish you’d given us a bit moar notice, I wanted to talk ponds and octopuses.

Boooo I say! Booo with knobs on!

(Have fun tho, really wish I could be there

/hugz!)

4. Alexrose says:

Hey, I’m going to be exhibiting there with Super Rude Bear Resurrection. It won Ludum Dare 28’s innovation category (same jam Titan Souls came out of) and is a super tight platformer aimed at both speedrunners and novices, where your deaths make the game easier but you never have to die. Coming to PS4/Xbox One/PC.

Trailer: link to youtube.com

Come play!

• Shockeh says:

^^ Alex is also a super nice guy, and his game by all accounts is like, awesome. You should do this.

5. Keiggo says:

If only I’d known a few days ago! I’d have been there :(

6. gorybuzz75 says:

Hooray! I’ll be off checking out those Beyond Flesh and Blood people. It’ll be weird playing the game set around the Town Hall in the Town Hall

7. Challenger2uk says:

Belfast Day, make this happen! I feel obscure and isolated from the outside world at this backwater country.

8. theodacourt says:

I’d seen the posters around town, but I didn’t actually know what it was about. Now I do and I may very well show up! :D

9. CMaster says:

More notice would indeed have been good. I’ll try and make it down on the sunday though.

• CMaster says:

I do realise there are posters and adverts all over the city for Manchester Day, but I thought it was just a parade.

pertusaria says:

I really can’t make this one, but please let this be the first of many in “the North”. I hope the lucky sods who do make it have a great time!

11. Chorltonwheelie says:

Ooooh! Glad to hear you’re joining us. I’ll defo pop in after the parade (I’ll be with the lovely FCUM fans).
    Hope they have the steel band playing Joy Division again!

12. Goateh says:

Which town hall entrance is this accessible from? I’d guess the Albert square entrance but it is not the easiest building(s) to navigate.

• Nachimir says:

The front doors on the Albert Square should be open, but if not try the side door on Lloyd Street.

• Nachimir says:

(If you have trouble navigating, we’re in the Reception Room, upstairs overlooking the square).