Pilot Secret Boaty Planes In Soviet Monsters: Ekranoplans

Humanity have invented some pretty dang weird things in our ongoing mission to murder everyone different to ourselves. World War II and The Cold War in particular saw the creation of terrible tools, but also some that were weird and goofy and sorta cool I guess. Soviet Monsters: Ekranoplans [Steam page], announced today, will put you in charge of one of the weird ones.

Ekranoplans were secret vehicles somewhere between plane and boat, strange-looking things which flew a few metres above the waves. You’ll get to pilot and manage a program of ’em.

The flyboats (read more about their history and ‘ground effect’ principles driving them on the Beeb) were mostly used as transports, and it sounds like that’s what Soviet Monsters: Ekranoplans will mostly have you doing. Details on the management side are sparse, but it sounds like it’ll have players managing their staff and craft, angling to earn more resources, vehicles, and medals. Oh, and there’s a teasing but delightful mention of needing to stop saboteurs.

It looks ropey, and a quick look found nothing about the developers’ previous work (they’re named Santa’s & Co. which… could it really be Him?), but getting to play with weird secret toys still sounds exciting. The game’s due on Windows and Mac this autumn. I can only hope potential future sequels will explore jetpacks, explosive rats, space weapons, and flying saucers.

1. chesh says:

Hubertus Bigend Simulator 2015

• Cinek says:

More like: 2001, judging from the looks of it.

• MrUnimport says:

I’m still not sure what to make of that whole trilogy. That prick and his irritating blue suit. Good stuff. I think?

2. ZIGS says:

That trailer is hosted by the publisher’s youtube account and it’s set to unlisted. The mind boggles.

Also, I bet my left nut this is gonna be shit

• dudley says:

Looks like it’s public…Maybe they had to hold it for some reason?

The trailer’s just a sneak peek by the looks of it, also looks like it still needs more development time. Need to see gameplay but it’ll be cool to fly/sail one of those things for sure!

3. Keasar says:

Ah, the Ekranoplanes, used by the Soviet Union during the initial stages of the invasion of Norway in 1989.

4. MiniMatt says:

I find myself increasingly disturbed by that apostrophe in “Santa’s & co”.

Harlander says:

It’s a click sound, like in many of the languages of southern Africa.

5. Synesthesia says:

Obligatory!

A fantastic photo set from the interior of one of these behemoths.

link to englishrussia.com

link to englishrussia.com

• Hydrogene says:

Great links Synesthesia , these are amazing pictures! It makes these strange beasts even weirder, seeing how much like a ship they are inside.

6. U-99 says:

Actually, the one on the screenshot is called «Lun’» (Harrier, bird of prey), armed with 6 anti-naval supersonic missiles P-270 Mosquito, each carrying about 150 kg of pure explosives. So it is hardly a transport vehicle.

Phasma Felis says:

However, only one Lun ever entered service, so I think Alice is right to say that ekranoplans were “mostly used as transports.” There are non-Lun models in the video.

8. King_Rocket says:

Makes me think of Battlefield 1942: Secret Weapons of WWII

9. MrNash says:

Seeing those planes makes me want to try and recreate them in Besieged rather than actually play this game.

• NicholasTimothyJones says:

Makes me want to go back and play 007: Blood Stone again for the one ridiculous level that had you fighting along one of these as it was speeding down a river.

• Reivles says:

It makes me want to try and find the correct set of mods to make these things a viable project in KSP.

I wonder if FAR does ground effect…

• MiniMatt says:

Chuckle, I’ve tried that myself :) I know that stock aero in 1.0.x doesn’t do ground effect, and FAR in 0.90 and earlier didn’t, not sure about FAR in 1.0.x though.

The B9 pack has some nifty VTOL engines which can be set to dynamically adjust thrust between front and rear pairs to maintain angle and maintain a hover height – this second function can be used to effectively fake a ground effect plane.

10. Ejia says:

Surely one or two of those engines can be replaced with a plasma cannon? Something this large and delightfully bonkers needs some sort of unrealistic weapon.

• Press X to Gary Busey says:

In an alternate universe the NAWTOP alliance just fitted a bunch of the new US railguns on a 21st century model and filled it with Rainbow Spetsnaz on a suicide mission straight into the Mega-Penguin Queen’s lair in the center of Antarctica.

phuzz says:

Isn’t it more of a plane-y boat than a boaty plane?

12. Jerkzilla says:

I’d pay serious dosh for one in DCS.