Co-op D&D: Sword Coast Legends Arriving In September

Sword Coast Legends [official site] isn’t a new Baldur’s Gate game, but it is a top-down action-RPG with real-time combat and tactical pausing in the same D&D setting those games explored. If you saw it on the train, you might be startled mistaking it for that kid in your year at school who died then realise no, that’s not their chin – and they didn’t have online co-op.

Moving on: Sword Coast Legends is due September 8th on Windows, Mac, and Linux, co-developers Digital Extremes (them lot behind Warframe) and n-Space announced today. They’ve got a new trailer to show off too.

There are quests to complete and skeletons to smash and wizards to zap and treasure to loot and… it’s your usual fantasy D&D thing. On top of a singleplayer campaign, it’ll support online co-op and a curious multiplayer mode where one player can take over as a dungeon master placing and controlling monsters and traps for other players to fight through. You want to give ’em a fun time, don’t you?

Sword Coast Legends will cost $39.99 (£26) when it arrives.

Technically this is the E3 trailer, so you’re not strictly allowed to look at it until next Tuesday. No peeking. Not even a little bit. If you want gameplay, previous trailers have shown off the singleplayer campaign and the multiplayer dungeonmastering thing.

1. Armadillo says:

These starting puns for the articles are getting a bit out of hand; it took me 5 whole minutes to work out the first paragraph’s meaning.

2. gorybuzz75 says:

YES YES YES this will be ace

3. manio22 says:

*peeks at video*
    *runs for his life*
    You will never catch me alive!

4. Challenger2uk says:

Looks nice, but those NPC names sound like they were picked from a hat.

• Arglebargle says:

All game designers think they are brilliant writers. Sadly, even a sizeable percentage of professional writers suffer from the same illusion.

5. derbefrier says:

I am excited to see how they translate 5th edition from tabletop to video game. And if that dm mode is accompnied by some creation tools so we can build modules this is something that has the potential to be great.

6. skyturnedred says:

Party of six or no picks! (up from the store, you know)

Seriously, parties of six people provide much more room for experimentation. With only four, you are often required to have the holy trinity in their min-max forms in order to survive (the higher difficulties, at least).

7. Darkheart says:

I really want to like this, but what bothers me more than it probably should is that spells and abilities have timers. That’s too MMO-y for the kind of game I want this to be. I’ll have to wait and see, I guess…

8. aircool says:

Real-time-tactical-pausing is bad enough.. but can you imagine it in multiplayer? Hasn’t the likes of XCOM, Divinity: OS and Invisible Inc shown us that turn-based combat isn’t just a viable option, but lots of fun and allows for much deeper tactical thinking.

• Wulfram says:

I’d assume pausing is for party control and wouldn’t be used much in MP.

• Asurmen says:

Can’t say they’ve proven that at all. Pausing in multi works just fine.

9. ansionnach says:

So, it’s like some malformed offspring of Baldur’s Gate: Dark Alliance and Neverwinter Nights? Don’t think you could pause in multiplayer NWN, or at least I never did. Doesn’t sound like a useful feature in a co-op game, or at least not one whose intention isn’t to bore you silly.

10. dungeoncrawl says:

I’m confused. If I want to play in multiplayer mode with my buddy, I have to buy the $150 Campaign version that comes with 5 licenses??? That’s $75 each if we don’t have 3 others who also want to join in. Am I missing something?

11. RProxyOnly says:

:( I would have bought the shit out of this if it had Turn based combat, but RTwP, especially with MMO timer’s just leaves me cold.

I’m a huge fan of D&D but even in the BG series RTwP always ended up a clusterf**k, but it got excused then as being new and just the evolution of the technological limits, but it was always a mess.

But what’s up with the timers.. that’s not D&D.

Sad puppy.

• airmikee says:

Yeah, it’d be much closer to D&D if they got rid of the timers and enforced the spell limit, hard, right?

link to dandwiki.com

“Rest
      To prepare her daily spells, a wizard must first sleep for 8 hours. The wizard does not have to slumber for every minute of the time, but she must refrain from movement, combat, spellcasting, skill use, conversation, or any other fairly demanding physical or mental task during the rest period. If her rest is interrupted, each interruption adds 1 hour to the total amount of time she has to rest in order to clear her mind, and she must have at least 1 hour of uninterrupted rest immediately prior to preparing her spells. If the character does not need to sleep for some reason, she still must have 8 hours of restful calm before preparing any spells.
      Recent Casting Limit/Rest Interruptions
      If a wizard has cast spells recently, the drain on her resources reduces her capacity to prepare new spells. When she prepares spells for the coming day, all the spells she has cast within the last 8 hours count against her daily limit.”

So in order to get the maximum number of spells each day, one must avoid casting spells for 8 hours to avoid the ‘recent casting limit’, and then rest for 8 hours, uninterrupted. For a level 1 wizard in a video game to be only able to cast a couple of spells that will be used within a few minutes of game time before needing to rest for 16 hours of game time is absolutely ridiculous. Would WoW ever have made it big if new players had to run back to an inn after every fight to prepare spells again?

Timers are simply the digital version of the daily prep rule from the paper and dice games, designed to keep the game moving and flowing instead of requiring so much ‘rest’.

12. ralph_plauren says:

Was that Rufus Hound doing the narration?

13. Spluff says:

All of the footage looks awfully generic and bland, but still, the promise of active DMs and creatable worlds still captures my interest. If they add persistent world functionality, we may finally get the successor that NWN deserves.

14. ralph_plauren says:

It looks pretty cool and I am really glad that these top-down RPG’s are coming back into fashion. I am not hugely opposed to a more ARPG take on DnD but I absolutely loathe those MMO style coloured loot items. I find it removes a lot of the excitement of finding a cool item if instead you just see the coloured border and know its better than the green garbage you are currently using.

15. ssh83 says:

“the order of the burning door?” am i hearing that right? lmao

are they aiming for the wacky home-campaign feel (+alcohol)? if so, they totally nailed it.