Kick! Punch! Yatagarasu Attack On Cataclysm Due In July

Legend has it that the fighting game-shaped hole in RPS was punched clean through by Kieron Gillen and his Wu-Tang style at a staff Christmas party in fury after everyone kept sniggering at his “quivering palm technique.” Me, I’ve been trying to plug that hole in our coverage with newspaper, Protect Ya Neck scarves, and news like this post here.

Crowdfunded punch ’em up Yatagarasu Attack on Cataclysm [official site] is running over a year later than planned, but it finally now has a release date. The 2D fighting game made by a few former King of Fighters folks is getting a PC release on July 7th.

Yatagarasu Attack on Cataclysm is inspired by Street Fighter III with a touch of BlazBlue, with plenty of parries and counters. Always fun to watch, those. Online play is handled by GGPO. Interestingly, it has dynamic commentary recorded by fighting game community casters – and can switch between Japanese and English as you please.

Back in 2013, Yatagarasu raised $118,243 on Indiegogo to fund the localised PC release – almost twice its goal. It had initially been slated to launch in February 2014, but things happen. Yatagarasu will cost $14.99 (£10) on Steam and is due on other digital distributors later too.

As all its official trailers are rubbish, here’s some off-screen Attack on Cataclysm footage from a tournament at EVO last year:

1. elderman says:

I’ve watched the video, but as some who has only dipped into fighting games, I don’t understand what might make this game unique. Aside from new graphics, what makes this different from the Street Fighter and Mortal Kombat games of the nineties? Or the one from last year with the all-female cast?

• elderman says:

By the way, I’m well aware that I’m exposing my ignorance, but I’d love to understand what makes one fighting game different from another.

• pepperfez says:

A lot of things! Yatagarasu is very much inspired by Street Fighter (particularly SFIII) in the length of its combos and the movement options of the characters. It has relatively short combos, a focus on spacing, and movement in the air is limited. King of Fighters is in the same style.
        Games like Skullgirls, Marvel vs. Capcom, or anything by Arc System Works have longer combos and more focus on movement in the air.
        Mortal Kombat (along with Injustice) is kind of off in its own little world with the block button and I don’t even know what anymore. It’s not like anything else and I really don’t understand it.

• Hnefi says:

Well, I don’t know much about Yatagarasu in particular, but I can give a quick overview of what makes different fighters different. There are many types of fighters; I’ll cover the Street Fighter variety, the MvC variety, the MK variety and the Tekken variety.

Street Fighter and games that are like it focus on the ground game a lot. Jumping in Street Fighter is usually a bad idea, as the game rewards patience, careful positioning and the skills to confirm a quick poke into quick damage. Combos are relatively short and focused. Mixups and shenanigans are relatively unsafe and usually lead to limited damage (big exceptions do exist). SF matches, particularly SFIV, can be relatively slow and deliberate, but the skill ceiling is out of reach for mortal men.

MvC (and Skullgirls and the like) is more about overwhelming the opponent with mixups and going into a huge combo for maximum damage. The game is fast and offensive with long aircombos and juggles, with positioning being relatively unimportant as you can often cover the entire screen with a quick move.

Tekken is much about mixups and pressure. There are plenty of high/low mixups that lead to launching the opponent in the air, after which they’ll float around while you poke at it more or less indefinitely. Positioning and poking is important like in Street Fighter, but the mixups are much more dangerous and safe which makes the game more offensive.

MK is an odd duck. Spacing is of limited importance, pokes are of limited use, the execution barrier is low and there’s no left-right mixups (though there are high-low mixups). I must admit I don’t quite understand what makes a good MK player, other than knowing your characters moves and throwing out mixups.

That’s my opinion, anyway. Take it as you will.

• Zankman says:

I personally prefer Tekken due to the engine, animations, speed and relatively realistic combat.

Hard to explain, but, Tekken has always been my favorite due to how well it “flows”. So fluid.

• Hnefi says:

The “flow” you’re talking about is probably due to Tekken not having many cancels. In Street Fighter, you can cancel the recovery animation of many moves into another move at the moment the first move hits. This gives the animation a hard and impactful appearance. Tekken, on the other hand, has few cancels so its animations flow more evenly.

• RARARA says:

Great summation. Where would you put Soul Calibur though? Not being particularly enthusiastic about fighting games (unless I’m at a party), Soul Calibur III is about the only BIFF-BAM-POW game I’ve found to be enjoyable.

• Hnefi says:

I never really played the SC games at a serious level. At most, I’ve played them at a friend or another. From my extremely limited experience, I’d put them in the “Tekken-like” camp.

• elderman says:

Thank you pepperfez and Hnefi for the explanations. I understand more now. I’d describe other games in terms of the experience they give me. From the descriptions you give, sounds like fighting games are more about the details of the competition they make possible.

2. unit 3000-21 says:

Always knew Kieron Gillen ain’t nuthing ta fuck wit.

3. Zankman says:

Dem sprites tho

4. Terics says:

The fact that this has GGPO based netcode is pretty huge for the longevity of this game. Skullgirls has GGPO also and I can’t imagine it would of gotten this far without it, especially with its relatively small tournament scene.