Claymation Adventure Game Armikrog Due In August

After two years of writhing and squirming in its Kickstarted cocoon, Armikrog [official site] is almost ready to emerge as a beautiful plasticine butterfly. The claymation adventure game will launch for Windows, Mac, and Linux on August 18th, developers Pencil Test Studios have announced. Their numbers include Doug TenNapel – the chap behind Earthworm Jim and ye olde claymation adventure The Neverhood, which Armikrog was billed as the “spiritual successor” to. Come have a look at how it’s shaping up (shape, like a plasticine shape) in a new trailer.

Armikrog’s the name of the fortress where exploring spaceman Tommynaut and his talking dog Blind Beak have ended up trapped in after crash-landing on an odd alien planet. Let the adventure gaming begin! You know: puzzles and jokes and all that.

The claymation looks pretty swish, and the voice lineup includes funny folks like Rob Paulsen of Every Cartoon Ever fame and Mystery Science Theater 3000’s Michael J. Nelson, so conditions look good for a merry old adventure. Great zany music, too – nice twangly bits.

Armikrog will cost £18.99 when it launches. Here’s the new trailer:

And here’s an older one showing more, albeit more of how it looked back in October 2014:

1. commentingaccount says:

I really want to play this game, but TenNapel is such a douche. :(

• XhomeB says:

Calling someone a “douche” tells much more about you than the person you seem to dislike, whatever your reason might be. I might have missed something, because I don’t recall him ever doing something wrong.

• gummybearsliveonthemoon says:

Thanks for making up my mind for me. I was of two minds about buying this because I enjoy TenNapel’s art style but his extremist religious bigotry rubs me the wrong way.

And here you came and defended him in unilaterally fundamentalist ways. You’ve proved I was right to not buy this – and that I was right to cast aside the angry “faith” of my family.

Cheers!

• Distec says:

Looking further down, it seems TenNapel was already paid for his work. So your ‘stickin it to the devs or whatever seems flaccid.

• wyrm4701 says:

I think there’s going to be a lot of that sentiment. Safe to say I’m a fan of The Neverhood – I’ve bought three copies, over the years. Knowing what I do now, I just bring myself to give TenNapel any more money. He’s just that odious, and I wish it weren’t so.

Crap. It’s got Mike Nelson in it. Him, I want to give money to.

• XhomeB says:

OK, some kind of explanation is needed. What. Did. He. Do?

• withad says:

He holds and happily writes about pretty much every awful view you might expect from a stereotypical hard right Christian – he’s homophobic (comparing gay marriage to giving men the right to shit in the women’s bathroom), sexist (writing an article for notorious rag Breitbart about how women are better off without feminism), and just generally kind of an asshole to anyone who disagrees with him.

It’s probably not something you would’ve come across unless you specifically followed TenNapel or websites that care about issues like that in gaming but it’s certainly enough to make a lot of people think twice before giving him money. (I knew he was a conservative Christian since I used to read his Ratfist comic until it went off on a weird evangelical tangent, but the rest I’ve gathered from a quick Google search of his name.)

• XhomeB says:

Ah, so that’s what it’s all about.
            Well… I’m shocked. You people sure are quick to stigmatize others.
            First of all, I’m not sure what the term “conservative Christian” is supposed to mean. You’re either a Christian, following the teachings of Christ, a member of the Church Christ founded through his apostles – or you aren’t. That’s kind of obvious, to me, at least.
            Secondly, who are we to judge whether something is an “awful” or “offensive” thing to say? That smells of discrimination to me, he has the right to openly state what he thinks, especially since his views are based on the Bible. Does that make Bible “awful”? Because certain vocal groups say so?
            I do realise that political correctness is all the rage right now and has all but replaced common sense, empathy, natural world order or the inner voice of reason, but let us not get crazy here. He didn’t do anything wrong, and it’s DISGUSTING (see what I did here?) that you’re besmirching his name on a public forum. Either we accept the freedom of speech or we’re imposing totalitarian rules on society (see Body Snatchers, finger pointing and screaming “he dared disagree with our New World Order, get him!” for reference).

yhancik says:

Homophobia and sexism is awful, no matter which ancient book serves as your inspiration or excuse. He has the right to say as many awful things he wants, nobody said he shouldn’t. But we’re equally free to judge the opinions he expresses. That’s the idea of free speech.

• gorzan says:

@XhomeB. I might be biting on the bait, but what the hell, you’ve riled me up a little bit. Actually, we might as well forget the idea of freedom of speech, it is a nice idea but flawed in practice. Personally I will never accept the idea that every thought or opinion deserves to be expressed or recognized, some ideas are simply too horrible, too odious. The same way I think no one should be allowed to say horrible things about someone just because of their religion, no one should be allowed to say horrible things about certain sectors based on their sexual preferences or their wanting equal rights, no matter where that someone is getting these ideas from.
            So no, I don’t think anyone is in the wrong for chastising and not wanting to give money to a man who regularly hurts real people with his opinions, not to talk about any possible donations to hateful organizations.
            Also, you do realize the double standard on saying he has the right to express his hateful wolrdviews without someone judging him and th en going on about how people shouldn’t be saying bad things about him, right? I we care so much about freedom of speech, it’s their right to say he is a douche, undeserving of any respect, and you shouldn’t judge them for this opinion, nor try to prevente them from expressing it.

• lowprices says:

@XhomeB Criticising statements someone has madeis not the same as denying them their freedom of speech. None of the comments here have so far have suggested that he should not be allowed to have opinions, just that they will not be buying The game because of them.

• XhomeB says:

There’s nothing “hateful” about his views. Nothing “homophobic” about it, because none “is afraid of people” here.
            Christians don’t “hate” people who commit sins, they merely do not accept the sinful acts and have a moral obligation not to tolerate evil around them. Jesus himself did not pat sinners on the back, while he did not condemn them, they had to repent and change their lives for the better. That applies to all of us.

Still don’t understand what’s so “awful” about his behaviour. If there’s something awful here, it’s the raging hatred towards him some of you seem to display. That’s very disturbing.

John Walker says:

Gosh, weird coincidence that you didn’t know any of this, and then happened to be willing to fully support him in every aspect of what he’s said within a few seconds of finding out!

Anyway, just to be clear, I’m a Christian and I certainly don’t hold such bigoted opinions, and certainly do acknowledge the right for gay couples to be married. I also, oddly enough, am not against feminism. So allow your absolutist perspective to be a little diluted.

• Juan Carlo says:

He’s an idiot who isn’t especially eloquent at supporting his political positions (I’ve actually debated him before in various comment sections on the internet over the years, dude’s all strawmen and mindless talking points) , but I’m able to separate his games (which I think are great) from his political views. I’m gay myself and don’t mind playing his games, but maybe that’s just because I have a lot of fundamentalist Christian family members, so I’ve long ago since learned to separate politics from person just to get along with people. Some are truly odious people, but others mean well and are just reflecting the culture and times they grew up in.

I don’t know which of those two categories TenNapel falls under, but I don’t especially care nor do I think it matters when playing his games. I’ll willingly tell him why he’s wrong and oppose him in political arenas and forums where such opposition is relevant, but his games, at least so far, have been pretty apolitical, so I don’t mind playing them. If he starts turning his games into political screeds, that’d be another matter, though.

• Juan Carlo says:

That said, I also don’t begrudge anyone who may not wish to buy his games because of his political views, even though I really don’t have a problem buying them personally. TenNapel often tries to play the victim and martyr whenever people raise a fuss over his political beliefs, which is totally disingenuous of him. He’s an adult living in a free market and no one owes him a living. If he wants to push political buttons and say things that will offend people, he forfeits the right to be surprised if people might get offended and politicize his games because of this.

• DrollRemark says:

You’re a funny little thing.

• XhomeB says:

Wonderful accusations you’ve got there, John. Feel honoured, you’re a wonderful person. I had my suspicions to be sure (what else could be considered “awful” here…), but to be perfectly honest, I wasn’t all that familiar with TenNapel or his views. A quick google answered a lot. By the way, I don’t think it’s the first time I’ve touched upon this subject here, so my “bigotry” shouldn’t come as a surprise to you.

“Anyway, just to be clear, I’m a Christian and I certainly don’t hold such bigoted opinions, and certainly do acknowledge the right for gay couples to be married.”

So you’re not a Christian, because if you were, you’d try to help these people change their ways instead of rejecting the teaching of Jesus and the word of God. There are no “ifs” or “buts”. You can’t follow Jesus, but choose only those aspects of the faith you find comfortable or fitting the “modern times”. It doesn’t work that way.

“I also, oddly enough, am not against feminism. So allow your absolutist perspective to be a little diluted.”

Every human being deserves respect. With that said, feminism is based around an idea that men are responsible for all evil and the idea of unhealthy “competition” between sexes. Nothing good ever comes out of it. And if you ask me – I won’t ever accept an ideology that considers abortion “a human right”.

• Distec says:

I’m going to take issue with conflating sexism with criticism of feminism. But other than that, the man does seem like a turd. I’m generally not one for punishing a work or a team just because of the views of a team member’s views. But it does make it easier for me to avoid purchasing the game.

Now, that’s an easy thing for me to say and do. I never played Neverhood and my last encounter with Earthworm Jim was before high school. I would probably have a harder time keeping my money in my wallet if, say, Gabe Newell announced Half-Life 3 and then followed up with a strong denial of the Holocaust.

• Asurmen says:

XhomeB, then following that logic there is not a single Christian alive today because no one can follow every tennet of the faith in the modern world.

Last I checked Jesus was all about love, peace and tolerance of others. Pretty sure that accepting people of the same sex can be married to each just like opposing sexes falls under that. Marriage is not a unique concept to Christianity. It doesn’t own it.

Religion is all about interpreation of laws, rules and teachings of their respective holy books. You cannot say someone is a Christian or not just because they follow the book differently than another.

• Dorchadas says:

“Once I saw this guy on a bridge about to jump. I said, “Don’t do it!” He said, “Nobody loves me.” I said, “God loves you. Do you believe in God?”

He said, “Yes.” I said, “Are you a Christian or a Jew?” He said, “A Christian.” I said, “Me, too! Protestant or Catholic?” He said, “Protestant.” I said, “Me, too! What franchise?” He said, “Baptist.” I said, “Me, too! Northern Baptist or Southern Baptist?” He said, “Northern Baptist.” I said, “Me, too! Northern Conservative Baptist or Northern Liberal Baptist?”

He said, “Northern Conservative Baptist.” I said, “Me, too! Northern Conservative Baptist Great Lakes Region, or Northern Conservative Baptist Eastern Region?” He said, “Northern Conservative Baptist Great Lakes Region.” I said, “Me, too!”

Northern Conservative Baptist Great Lakes Region Council of 1879, or Northern Conservative Baptist Great Lakes Region Council of 1912?” He said, “Northern Conservative Baptist Great Lakes Region Council of 1912.” I said, “Die, heretic!” And I pushed him over.”

• Tukuturi says:

John, I don’t know if you have this particular breed of fundamentalist on your side of the ocean, but they don’t do hermeneutics and they don’t do linguistics. In the fundamentalist view, the translation of the Bible (typically the King James version) was itself divine revelation. Thus the King James translation is actually more true, in a weird kind of way, than the original text. For capital F Fundamentalists, this is also the case with the annotations provided by Cyrus Scofield in the early 20th century, which is where a lot of the fire and brimstone millenerianism comes from. While I appreciate what you’re trying to do here, you should know that this guy is coming from an entirely different ontology, and it’s not really possible to reason with him unless he abandons the very axioms of his worldview.

• girard says:

@XHomeB: It’s completely all right to “stigmatize” hate speech. Doug TenNapel both publicly espouses hateful, noxious, odious social views and personally (at least in my interactions with him online) is a thin-skinned, smug, nasty and unpleasant person. Your disingenuous wondering about what a “conservative Christian” might be is a pretty transparently bad line of argument. Obviously, as evidenced by decades of self-professed conservative Christians being highly vocal in American culture, you’ve had the opportunity to encounter some. But if you need clarification, I am happy to provide. A “conservative Christian” (at least in the Doug TenNapel sense) is someone who pays lip-service to Christianity while simultaneously and hypocritically profferring perhaps the most un-Christian worldview possible: the free-market loving, poor-and-marginalized-person-hating, selfish and nasty, stars-and-stripes idolator.

• Asurmen says:

Quick Internet search lists him as a conservative Christian. Further searching shows that, if you think about any offensive comment on an subject a conservative Christian could make, he has.

• Lukasz says:

@XhomeB
            You do not decide who is christian or not. That’s up to God not you.

The guy is free to say what he wants to say. I have the right to spend my money elsewhere. Hence no purchase for me.
            really simple.

• XhomeB says:

@Lukasz
            You do not decide who is christian or not. That’s up to God not you.

God will be our judge, that goes without saying. With that said, He did give us guidelines, Commandments and even His Word on Earth – his Son. The rules are clear.

“and there are plenty ifs and buts as interpretation of Bible varies between denominations and varies between person and person. Judging them because they are not following your personal interpretation is wrong.”

Really? Last time I checked, the Bible is VERY explicit. Especially when it comes to TenNapel’s “views” he gets condemned for here.

• Philomelle says:

The Bible is also pretty explicit about not being a dick to someone even if you consider them a sinner, as well as not supporting someone in their dickishness even if they’re being a dick toward sinners. For someone who is so dedicated to upholding the word of the Bible, you sure seem to struggle with following even the very basest of its guidelines.

John Walker says:

Ignoring your astonishing arrogance, let’s just clear this up. The Bible contradicts itself between Gen 1 and 2. It’s plain silly to pretend there is not ambiguity, in the most incredibly ambiguous collection of writings. It is absolutely NOT clear on the issues you so deceitfully claim it is, and woeful misinterpretation, whether by you, or English translators, leading to your desire to spread such cruel messages is devastating.

There are two things about which it is abundantly clear: You don’t get to declare who is or isn’t good enough for God (and threatens eternal death for those who do), and even more so, and repeatedly, that you should be a force of love in the world. Policing the internet to tell which people are allowed to love which other people is a really damned twisted interpretation of a book you’re claiming to follow.

• XhomeB says:

“Ignoring your astonishing arrogance”

Allow me to disagree.

“The Bible contradicts itself between Gen 1 and 2. It’s plain silly to pretend there is not ambiguity, in the most incredibly ambiguous collection of writings. It is absolutely NOT clear on the issues you so deceitfully claim it is, and woeful misinterpretation, whether by you, or English translators, leading to your desire to spread such cruel messages is devastating.”

First of all, I’d appreciate some examples instead of mere claims, also, please point me to the fragment where the Bible contradicts itself as far as “same sex relationships” you seem to support are concerned.

“There are two things about which it is abundantly clear: You don’t get to declare who is or isn’t good enough for God (and threatens eternal death for those who do), and even more so, and repeatedly, that you should be a force of love in the world.”

That’s a VERY selective attitude you have here, because it leads to complete relativism and blurs the lines between “right” and “wrong”, which are clear and not prone to any interpretation.
            I won’t be judging anyone, that’s for certain. I’m not pointing fingers here and calling some people “awful”, in case you haven’t noticed – merely trying to defend a man who gets verbally beaten for having the audacity to call a spade a spade and the courage to express now-unpopular views.
            As for being a force of love in the world, love does NOT equal acceptance of everything or “tolerance” in its current form. Jesus preventing the stoning of a woman was an act of love, but so was throwing money changers out of the temple. He did NOT die on the cross to condone sin, but give us all a chance to repent, to give us a chance to free ourselves from evil. He knows we’re fallible, that’s why He gave us the power to start a new life, leave the mistakes of the past behind us.

“Policing the internet to tell which people are allowed to love which other people is a really damned twisted interpretation of a book you’re claiming to follow.”

Kindly set an example then, because you’re the one running an internet site where you openly condemn everyone who doesn’t accept your point of view, using phrases like “horrible human beings” or “bigots”.
            And “love” does not equal sexual intercourse or patting everyone on the back. See above. Thanks for your understanding.

• Asurmen says:

How exactly are his opinions calling a spade a spade? Calling a spade a spade is a fact, where as his opinions are homophobic and misogynistic.

John Walker says:

“First of all, I’d appreciate some examples instead of mere claims”

Assuming you mean apart from the example you just quoted, okay, here are some:

link to botherer.org
            link to botherer.org

“blurs the lines between “right” and “wrong”, which are clear and not prone to any interpretation.”

“Jesus preventing the stoning of a woman was an act of love, but so was throwing money changers out of the temple.”

“If you really love your neighbour, you will not watch him follow a path to destruction, you will help him correct his ways, even though you’re both prone to falling along the way. THAT is true love.”

“you’re the one running an internet site where you openly condemn everyone who doesn’t accept your point of view, using phrases like “horrible human beings” or “bigots”.”

• XhomeB says:

“Assuming you mean apart from the example you just quoted, okay, here are some:
            link to botherer.org
            link to botherer.org”

You seem to be arguing over semantics and English translations here, which has nothing to do with any supposed “contradictions”… Both women and men have their place in the Church, but the roles differ, calling Paul a “feminist” is quite funny though.

“Is it right to marry and have sex with a thirteen year old girl? I ask, because that is what “marriage” was at the time Jesus was alive. I just want to be sure that your “right”s and your “wrong”s are all in line.”

That was related to the amount of children who made it out of infancy, required parental permission and a purely cultural thing. I’d prefer if people that age got married instead of having countless partners before 18, as it is the case today (licentiousness ahoy, good job, civilized Western world).

“Oops! Another example where “interpretation” would seem a touch necessary. “robbers” is a terrible translation for λῃστῶν – malefactor gets closer. The word, also used to describe those crucified next to Christ, is best translated to mean “terrorist”. Jesus was furious that terrorists/freedom fighters were using the temple to plot the overthrowing of the Roman empire. But hey, who needs interpretation!”

Check the Hebrew original and then talk nonsense.

“No, it isn’t. True love would be loving them, and demonstrating your love for them, despite however you may disagree with them. True love is just loving them. It’s certainly not about expecting them to stop having the feelings they have, loving the people they love, because of a couple of extremely ambiguous passages in a hygiene guide for people who live nomadic lives in the burning desert. (Your homework is to find out what the Hebrew word mistranslated to “abomination” actually means.)”

And your homework is to find out what the New Testament says about accepting evil deeds around you AND the homosexual acts AND the verse in which Jesus mentions Sodom and Gomorrah. No amount of clinging to the supposed English “mistranslation” will change the facts you obviously find so uncomfortable.
            Jesus said: go AND SIN NO MORE. You show no love for anyone by watching them bathe in an act you know is immoral and against God’s law (even more dangerous these days than during those “nomadic times”), but instead of helping them find the way to Jesus, you choose the comfortable silence, the approval of their deeds. That doesn’t help you become a better person, and surely does not help them in any way.

“Nope, don’t do that. I eagerly welcome people who disagree with my point of view, and look forward to changing it when I find that mine is flawed. I happily state that I disagree with particular opinions. I said someone held bigoted opinions, which is demonstrably true. You also hold bigoted opinions. I do too, about other things. However, I certainly DO condemn you for your earlier statement where you had the disgusting audacity to tell me that I’m not a Christian because I don’t adhere to your bigoted opinions. THAT was appalling of you.”

What you should understand is that you can’t choose only the fragments you like and dismiss the ones you consider “outdated”. Because by doing so, your pride, your desire to twist the facts to your liking gets in the way between you and God’s word.

• Sarah_imPalin says:

This comment thread drove me to commit homosexual acts. I hope you’re happy.

• Foglet says:

X-home-B, you and TenNapel both are really not doing your church any favours by saying things you say on its behalf.

John Walker says:

“You seem to be arguing over semantics…”

Aaaand we’re done. The dreary predictability of your using that word to dismiss the precise opposite makes me have no inclination to carry on. Deliberate mistranslations by 16th century workers for a bigoted King are not “semantics”. And your using a reference to Sodom and Gomorrah as your underpinning for your bigotry is equally predictably distressing. A city of people gang raping anything that moved, male, female, parents, children… yeah, that’s the same as a loving committed gay couple.

• Synesthesia says:

@Juan Carlo

You. You are cool.
          I won’t buy his stuff, I can’t bring myself to support a man like that, but I wont judge anyone who does. He is one of the very strange cases of ugly people being able to do something beautiful. The Neverhood is one of my most formative games. Damn, I still listen to Terry Taylor’s soundtrack on a regular basis.

• Tukuturi says:

Why would you not want to give money to Tennapel but want to give money to Nelson? They espouse essentially the same beliefs and political stances.

• Veav says:

I had the same thought at first, but… this game is an artistic expression that can be taken on its own merits. Kinda like how Ender’s Game (book) has not decreased in value because OSC turned out to be a jerkface. Blocking out a game based on the creator’s personal life is a you-know-who tactic. :/

• Philomelle says:

While it’s true that boycotting a game based on the creator’s personal life is a douchy thing to do, both OSC and TenNapel generate the sort of negative response they do because they donate hefty amounts of money to organizations who promote their bigoted ideas.

I’m personally not going anywhere near Armikrog until it’s at least 75% off. I don’t want him to take my money and donate it to some terrible excuse for a cause.

• Veav says:

I can respect that. And I’m pretty sure that Mike Nelson et al have already been paid for their contributions (thanks to Kickstarter funding) so it won’t be taking bread off their plates. At the same time I hate the idea that we can’t look past a name on the box to embrace a game that I’d hope has absolutely nothing to do with that ideology. And… claymation, man!

• Philomelle says:

Believe me, I have torn myself up over that very thoroughly. I do think a work of art deserves to be judged as a work of art and not for the ideology of its creator, and I also think it’s unfair to punish the rest of the development team for the behavior of one person in it. Back when the Armikrog Kickstarter was running, I spent about a week trying to sort out my emotional response to it.

In the end, I concluded that Doug TenNapel is a rare case of an artist I do feel intensely uncomfortable giving money to in return for their work. I respect his right to create art and I will very likely enjoy Armikrog immensely once the stars align so I can play it, I just really don’t want him to see a dime out of my pocket because he might spend it on something I found find extremely offensive.

• Tukuturi says:

If the game exists in a market, it doesn’t exist in a bubble. While you might consider its artistic merits without consideration of its authors, purchasing it has real world consequences that extend beyond your appreciation of art.

• commentingaccount says:

Well, I’m a member of the groups he doesn’t like. Can you blame me in that case? :P

• Cinek says:

Read the comment from TheTingler below. It pretty much sums it up. Guy might be the jerk, but it doesn’t mean that all the creators of Armikrog are automatically jerks and mustn’t be given any money.

• pepperfez says:

But the presence of other people also doesn’t make it any more appealing to do business with someone whose views (and actions, let’s remember) you find repugnant. I don’t want to give money to someone who hates me, even if I’d also be giving money to other people who don’t.

• Stellar Duck says:

Are be obliged to buy this game?

If not, then I don’t see a problem. I never signed a contract saying I’d buy Amikrog and it’s not my responsibility to make sure the employees get paid.

• Distec says:

I read that as more like “If you were interested in buying this game, don’t let TenNapel’s repugnant personal views put you off it. They don’t show up in the game itself and other people were involved in it’s creation.”

Obviously you can refuse to purchase something for any reason you want. But it does seem a pity, especially if the actual sales of the game don’t affect Doug’s wallet in any way. Although I’m rather assuming this from second-hand info.

• Stellar Duck says:

I’m not boycotting anyone or blocking them.

I work quite hard for my payslip so I’d rather spend that money as I see fit. I don’t want to give a single penny to people like this guy or Card. I enjoyed Neverhood back in the day but after I learned about this guy I’m just not going to hand over my money. I’m not obligated to buy his game.

I don’t see any problem with me deciding who I want to purchase games from based on their political stances.

I even have a personal list of jackasses I don’t want to give money to!

I also don’t know who you know who is. Is Voldemort involved?

• Tukuturi says:

Actually, if you go back and read Orson Scott Card with an eye toward his bigotry, it shows up quite a bit in his books. The Homecoming series is probably the most Mormon science fiction story ever written, and it includes a gay character who is “cured” in order to save the human race and populate an alien planet.

• wu wei says:

I find it increasingly hard to view Ender’s Game as anything other than attempted apologia for Hitler, these days. It’s certainly Mormon doctrine that people should forgive him for his genocidal ways, because it’s not their place to judge him…

• pepperfez says:

Think of how many new converts he provided them!
            Was Ender’s Game the one with a comically wretched Potsdam demonstrating the inevitable failure of social democracy? Because that was silly.

• TheTingler says:

Agreed, he is a douche, but don’t punish the rest of the team for that. All TenNapel did for Armikrog was design the main character. He’s already been paid. You’re not withholding money from him by not buying Armikrog, you’re just refusing to buy a cool quirky adventure from a talented team that’s done their very best to make a great game.

• Tukuturi says:

Tennapel isn’t the only douche on the team, unfortunately. Mike Nelson is pretty abhorrent too I’m not familiar with the whole team, but Tennapel tends to only associate with those who share his particular brand of political conservatism and quasi-fundamentalist Christianity.

• wyrm4701 says:

Wait, what? What’s wrong with Michael J. Nelson? You’re not Joe Don Baker, are you?

• Tukuturi says:

Nelson is less, um, outspoken than Tennapel, but he likewise openly associates himself with the conservative Christian right in U.S. politics. He has shown public support for a number of hard right commentators who are outspoken against things like homosexuality, Islam, and basic human rights for minorities and the poor. He’s involved with Tennapel on multiple projects, e.g., the new Veggie Tales stuff for which Tennapel is series lead. The guy who draws Axe Cop is a part of that crew as well, and he has said really shady stuff online in the past. Neither of those guys are as outspokenly toxic as Tennapel though.

Lars Westergren says:

Well, shit. Wiping my RiffTrax account.

link to fstdt.proboards.com

• gummybearsliveonthemoon says:

Yeah.. it’s disheartening. He and TenNapel are peas in a pod whose work I enjoy but whose politics I dislike.

• ScubaMonster says:

I couldn’t care less about whatever a creator or artist might do. If I like their work I’m going to enjoy it. If we’re going to start boycotting things in entertainment and art because of disagreeable personal views and behavior of the creators you’re going to have a very short list.

• ScubaMonster says:

Short list of things to buy/enjoy that is.

• malkav11 says:

Not unless you’re really easily offended. Most people in a creative field are maybe a little weird at worst, and if they have unfortunate political or religious views, they keep them largely to themselves or argue about them a bit on the internet. Some maybe struggle with drug problems or aren’t as responsible as they should be about paying taxes or similar such brushes with the law that primarily harm that individual themselves. Very few are rapists fleeing justice by staying out of countries with extradition treaties with the US, like Roman Polanski, or actively campaign against human rights, like Orson Scott Card, or are directly responsible for pushing pseudoscientific nonsense that weakens our herd immunity and could very easily lead to the resurgence of incredibly dangerous diseases, like Jenny McCarthy. To name a few examples.

2. Cinek says:

*tear* it looks just as great as I hoped it will…

3. rikpro says:

Maybe I’m looking at the past through the rose-tinted glasses of nostalgia, but it doesn’t look so much more advanced than The Neverhood. It’s not a bad thing per se because that was one of the most iconic games ever made but i was hoping in something…different.

• rustybroomhandle says:

Well, it’s clay… it’ looked like clay 20 years ago and will look like clay 20 years from now. There’s really not much technical advancing one can do.

4. Jekhar says:

Might just ask here then: Has The Neverhood already been released somewhere in digital form? It’s high time i play it, i only got the demo back then and sadly never got around to buy the full thing.

• SirBryghtside says:

Doesn’t look like it’s actually being sold, but it’s showing up on quite a few abandonware sites if you’re okay with those :)

• Jekhar says:

Only as a last resort. My piracy days are well behind me. I’m even forgoing emulation these days in favor of getting the original classic consoles and the games. But if there’s no other way… ;-)

• Jekhar says:

FYI: The Neverhood works flawlessly with Windows 7, no fiddling required. ;-)

5. Cantisque says:

Forgot about this one, I remember upvoting it on Greenlight a long time ago.

6. anHorse says:

Sure it’s clay but do the faces have to be that rubbish

7. Monggerel says:

So uh

when’s Kentucky Route Zero going to continue then?

Aerothorn says:

Really looking forward to this – Terry Scott Taylor’s music is worth the price of admission alone, for me.