Open-World Adventure Oddity Cradle Coming In July

With its hoverbus flown across the Mongolian steppe by a mechanical grandpa, flowers to collect and examine, robotic woman whose legs are mysteriously replaced by a vase, and abandoned amusement park full of puzzles, Cradle [official site] is a big mystery to me, and one I’m keen to poke at. It’s been a while since we last saw it, but thankfully the wait’s almost over.

Ukrainian developers Flying Cafe for Semianimals have announced plans to launch the open-world explore-o-puzzle-thing on July 25th. It’ll cost $12.99 (£8.50-ish).

Cradle’s an odd game, about a chap and a mechanical woman who find themselves up in a yurt in Mongolia near a decrepit amusement park with no idea why. Part of what you need to do is find and repair her missing parts, because… that’s what you do when you find someone in pieces. Both her and the grandpa have funky video faces, displaying the eyes of actors, which might make me want to throw the eerie things far across the hills. It looks to have a nice amount of minute interaction with objects, opening and poking and cutting and using, which I always like. Details will be hidden around to help put the story together too.

If that paragraph reads like a stilted summary scraped together from a handful of details, that’s because it is.

Here’s the latest video, showing bits of characters and the game as it chats with the voice actors (yes, it will have an English version too), but do check out the first two gameplay videos to see some fine poking around.

1. MrFinnishDude says:

THE AESTHETIC! I feel a compelling need to play this just because of these few screenshots.I dont even care if its a good game it just looks so cooool…

2. Jerkzilla says:

*Hovertram

3. SIDD says:

Finally!

Was hooked the first time I laid eyes on this and have been following this since before it was even put up to be Greenlit on Steam.
    Loved the aesthetics and atmosphere from day one … hope it won’t disappoint – and $12 is hardly a fortune for what has the potential to be a rather cool and trippy experience.

4. Kollega says:

Don’t know if I’ll be buying this game. As a steppe-dweller and fan of exploratory science fiction games, I really ought to, but the suggestion of major behind-the-scenes darkness kind of puts me off. Plus the mysteries of the game are the entire point, so looking up plot information before buying is not a good idea either. Hopefully we’ll have a spoiler-free Wot I Think with the description of overall mood – that would really help.

5. Stevostin says:

I don’t understand why everyone isn’t just screaming “omg this is so incredibly beautiful and inspired”. Because it really is.

• SIDD says:

But but but…we are ;)
      It’s like a …. happy version of STALKER (well…happy in a eastern European sense)

• Stevostin says:

Yes but… 11 replies oO. Should be more hype for this. I am pretty sure you just show the same things with a Valve logo on it and everyone gets crazy.

• Kollega says:

The only reason why I’m not screaming that is that for me, this aesthetic is more “home sweet home” than something revolutionary. Even though by all accounts, it is revolutionary compared to other games. So I guess it’s just me being jaded =P

• Muzman says:

Kinda exhausted my enthusiastic noises a year ago or whatever. It got pretty good fuss back then I think.
      I’ll be there day one though. Or two.

6. MrUnimport says:

I can’t accurately express how hyped for this I am.

7. MrNash says:

The aesthetic of this game looks gorgeous. My plate’s a bit full right now, but I’ll definitely keep an eye on this one.

8. ButteringSundays says:

“Open-World Adventure Oddity Cradle Coming In July”

Christ on a cracker what part of that TitleCase mess is the name of the game? Honestly it’s such a horrible editorial choice. For the love of readability please consider using sentence case – I can’t fathom why anyone would choose not to.

9. LTK says:

The design of the androids in this game is already my favourite. It looks like they opted to limit facial animation to the eyes, which are represented by a display on a visor. I don’t know if they’re animating the eyes or using the actors’ expressions, but either way it’s really clever: this is not only easier and cheaper than adding actual moving facial features to the androids, but it also avoids the problem that facial animation tends to look artificial anyway. Best of all, these reasons apply both from an art design perspective and from an in-universe android design perspective!

10. killmachine says:

love the art design but what is this game?

11. AngoraFish says:

Calling the Wot I Think now: “The game is beautiful, but flawed.”

12. jrodman says:

So far, I plan on giving this one a try.

13. Spluff says:

This is the first I have seen of this game, but I am already sold. I love this sort of aesthetic.

Dukey says:

Why has nobody commented on the fact that the developers are called Flying Cafe for Semianimals? Surely this is the highlight of the story?

haowan says:

I was assigned to judge this at IGF a while back and felt completely captivated by it. Been following it since. I hope they’ve done a good job of it because the art and the fantasy of it are absolutely brilliant.