The Witcher 3 Explores A Village For Pigs In New Free DLC

“Geralt and a village idiot team up to learn the secret of an abandoned village inhabited entirely by pigs.” I’ll give you a second to read that again. Sounds fun, doesn’t it? What larks will surely ensue!

See for yourself, as it’s a new quest released today for The Witcher 3 [official site] as part of its weekly free ‘DLC’ drops. Witching Wednesday, developers CD Projekt RED could call it. This week’s other pack is pretty alternative art for a few Gwent cards. All this arrives after the announcement that – gosh! – it sold four million copies in its first two weeks across all platforms.

That new quest, named Fool’s Gold, has enemies of only around levels 4-6 (as far as I played into the quest just now, anyway), but everyone can enjoy investigating pigs with the village idiot. He says things like “wazzack” and “zounds”. I got a few smiles out of playing the start and look forward to seeing the rest after work (I imagine it’s short). You can pick up the quest by visiting the village of Lurtch in Velen, which is east of Crow’s Perch.

The other pack this week is alternative Gwent card art for the neutral characters like Ciri, Zoltan, Dandelion, Vesemir, Geralt, and so on. It’s nothing major, but the art’s pretty with lots of grand fantasy poses and I’ll be using it over the default art.

Oh aye, maybe RED could release all this right now smashed into a ‘patch’ if they wanted to, rather than mete it out in small doses under the name ‘DLC’, but the game’s hardly short of things to do is it? It’s nice to have new things drawing me back as my attention is distracted by other games too.

The usual method applies to downloading this week’s two packs. We’re now half-way through the sixteen planned bits of free DLC.

1. Skeletor68 says:

4 million? I wonder what their projections were like and what the break even point is for them.

• jerf says:

This Polish source:
      link to pieniadze.gazeta.pl
      claims that the total budget of Witcher 3 was about 250M zloty (development+marketing combined), which is about $70M (£45M).

If we go by a fairly conservative estimate that they got $20 on average from every sold copy (taking into account distributors’ and platform holders’ cuts and also lower prices in some regions), then they have already broken even some time ago, and now they have fairly substantial profits.

They claimed earlier that almost all the profits will go into Cyberpunk 2077 developement, which makes me more than happy.

• Skeletor68 says:

Thanks! I don’t have a machine capable enough for W3 right now, but loved W1 and 2 so I’m rooting for CDPR all the way!

• Unclepauly says:

If you can play W2 you can play W3. They are almost equal in resource intensity.

• trashmyego says:

I’ve read elsewhere that the budget was closer to $50 million total with marketing, so maybe that $70 million is with the expansions included? Anyway, they’re well beyond breaking even with the expansion sales added into the mix while also considering that a good chunk of the PC sales came through their own distribution service. Each of the previous Witcher games have had extraordinary legs post release, which is still substantial even though the numbers dip because they seem to be completely fine discounting their work after they’re well past making a strong profit. I don’t know if there’s another developer that gives me more hope for the future of gaming right now.

• Bereil says:

Does that 4 million include the earlier announcement that they sold over 1 million preorders?

• Press X to Gary Busey says:

4 mil and it will keep selling for years. :)
      If it was published by the usual triple-A’ers they would’ve declared it a flop after spending three times the development budget on marketing and only counting week 1 sales.

2. Horg says:

Just past 70 hours today, still haven’t finished the Barons quest line. Ride everywhere, steal everything, never shave. Such is life for a Witcher.

3. notenome says:

Just finished the game 5 mins ago.

CD Projekt deserve everyone of those 4 million sales. And a lot more.

• Herbal Space Program says:

Same boat here, got a bad ending because of… reasons. But the game is a work of love, can’t wait for a second playthrough with the expantions and the enhanced edition.

4. Hunchback says:

I can’t play it, i get random crashes at a 20 minutes interval or so, for a million of reasons/triggers. So sad :(

Was wondering, why does your Geralt always have these god awful haridos, RPS?

• Alice O'Connor says:

It was the first one I tried in the barber and I figured yeah, that’ll do. It seems fitting in Skellige too.

• Jobbie says:

Same problem here, can’t be arsed to fix they’re sorry excuse of a releasable game for them. So I’ll wait in hope that they may have a stable version with lots of DLC ready for me to enjoy before the games on full get everything sale mode. But according to the laws of sod I doubt it.

• Rumpelstilskin says:

might be related to the graphics driver
      link to forums.geforce.com

• Jobbie says:

I messed with it for a while, tried lots of stuff, even resorted to making a voodoo Geralt out of mashed potato and threatening it with various small implements. Then (like I do with buggy games) decided to just wait until they sort it. Often you get a better overall game play experience from a more seasoned game.

• Bradamantium says:

Are you running it on a Nvidia card? I had the same problem ’til I googled around and found that there’s some silly “NVIDIA STREAM” service I needed to disable. Between that and switching from borderless window to fullscreen, I’ve had hardly a crash since in ~20 hours.

• Hunchback says:

Nope, running AMD GPU atm (that’s a bit heavy on the abbreviations, meh).

I tried a lot of things, a lot of “solutions”, but nothing has helped so far. It sounds a bit like some weird magical combination that you need to have, in order for it to run. Reading through forums, people report making it run by doing this and that, and it totally doesn’t work with other people. I gotta say, i find this quite weird, coming from CDPRED, it’s not like they are some noobs who have never released a big project. Wonder what went wrong…
        Maybe they only tested the game for console peasants? *ponder*

• Bereil says:

Must be a magic combination, because my AMD GPU runs it quite well.

• Jobbie says:

Nope, ATI. But thanks anyway.

• vahnn says:

Go to your Catalyst Control Center and reset any performance adjustments to default, then re-enable performance tweaks and max out your fan speed. Then do the same for the 3D Settings, set everything to default, then disable tessellation, vsync to Use Application Settings, and disable AA. All of this after ensuring graphics and all PC component drivers are up to date, including mobo, usb, etc. drivers!

5. Revolving Ocelot says:

Pig butt. Is that a Bloodborne screenshot?

6. montorsi says:

Woohoo for more content they stripped out of the game so they could release it as “free” DLC. Cue fanfare.

• Hunchback says:

At least it’s free…

• Jeeva says:

Hehe. Normally I’d agree with you, in that I disagree with studios releasing large things (potentially stripped from the game) on Day 1 for cash-money, or releasing small things over time (again, for cash monies).

But here we have the perfect use of post-Gold dev-time for a studio that won’t just let employees go when crunch-time is finished, releasing little bits of DLC for free. And then doing proper sized expansions for money, post-release (and likely post initial patching cycle).

It’s some random art for some cards, and a single mission (from a reputedly huge game).

This stuff is small enough that I wouldn’t say they stripped it from the game, what makes you think that this is worth your rancor?

• pepperfez says:

the perfect use of post-Gold dev-time
        I think this deserves special emphasis. Since they’re not charging for it, there’s no reason to suspect this is otherwise-available content excluded from the initial release, which after all is the one that gets reviewed. I’m all for cynicism, but it really doesn’t make sense here.

• welverin says:

Actually there is: marketing.

They get to trumpet the fact they’re giving DLC away for free instead of nickel and diming people the way some companies, and it as this article illustrates, it keeps the game in the news.

As for it providing things for people to do post gold status, I would think the expansions would provide everyone plenty of work to do.

• pepperfez says:

I mean, yeah, they’ll get positive press when they give people things. The idea that we should be concerned about this content having been taken out of the initial release, though, depends on the initial release having been made worse by its absence. In that case, CDPR would have preferred the good press of a complete, rich game at release to whatever goodwill would be generated later by parceling little bits out (after reviews had come out). Given that everyone seemed pretty satisfied with what was in the game to begin with, wherever these little tidbits came from, they weren’t needed at release.

• jerf says:

@montorsi
      Woohoo for the complete misunderstanding of how game development works.

• Bradamantium says:

I don’t think this was really stripped out. The offerings so far are smaller things that they’ve likely worked on since they shipped the game out for console certification. I do think it’s a bit disingenuous that they reaped the benefits of proclaiming sixteen free DLCs when there’s just a couple of vaguely meaty sidequests they might have peddled for a couple of bones and nothing else but minor cosmetic bits and baubles. But hey, it’s free and the base game was worth every penny regardless.

• pepperfez says:

Sixteen bits and bobs at an average of $2 each is half the price of the game, though.

• notenome says:

I’m all for being cynical but your comment makes no sense.

First of all, this is one of the most content filled games of all time.

Secondly, CD Projekt have said that they are completely against DRM, and prefer to fight piracy pro-actively by adding value post-release to their products. So instead of adding DRM to their game they are adding free DLC. And you are complaining about it.

Thirdly, the game was already delayed multiple times, and if you have any notion of how development works, you’ll know that you have many specialists (artists, programmers, animators etc) that you have to keep employed or let go. CD Projekt have stated that this year and next they will keep on working on the Witcher, first through DLCs and then through expansions. Only in 2017 will they go full-bore on Cyberpunk 2077 (60 years ahead of schedule!).

• jonahcutter says:

Even if just for marketing purposes and actually is cut content, it kind of points out how crass and unethical it is when other studios charge extra for it. No?

I’m happy to give CD Projekt RED kudos for it. It’s good press and community relations for them, and it hopefully (though doubtfully) curbs shameless profiteering of some other studios. Or at least encourages people to *not* participate when getting charged extra for what could be cut content.

CDPR is using a model for an extended, positive, respectful relationship with gamers. Is it a considered one? Very likely. Why wouldn’t it be?

• Press X to Gary Busey says:

I hope more developers do free DLC, chopped from the game or not. Perhaps it can get people used to getting rewarded for supporting a game early instead of paying a premium for the privilege. Compared to the customers who wait for the GotY with everything included for $10 in a sale in 18 months. And perhapsget more people to question actual paid day-1-DLC-chops and 5€/$/£ cheat packs.

• vahnn says:

It’s free, and many of these things are alternate versions of things that already exist in the game (with the exception of the quests and crossbows.)

Why, WHY, are you complaining?

7. Cinek says:

New quests :) Delightful. More of these, please! I couldn’t care less about some random items, but quests? Oh yes, the more the better.

8. Muzman says:

Aus translation “Witcher 3 a bomb? Pig’s Arse!”

9. Jobbie says:

That there is some nice porcine posterior rendering. Its wrong but I’m kinda feeling hungry looking at it, better than horny I guess. I will be there, come stable game. In my wellies, dunagerees and hmm, err, a spinal cord in a bap.

ah ha!

10. Rumpelstilskin says:

I tried downloading that cards DLC, but somethin gwent wrong:(

11. Enkinan says:

SQUEEEE!

Damn what a great game. I’m still a bit sore that Invisible Inc beat it for the recommended for the month. It’s kind of like comparing a delicious Apple to a delicious Orange.

Qazinsky says:

“Geralt and a village idiot team up”

Sounds like my usual Witcher 3 gaming sessions.

13. aircool says:

I’ve spent 72 hours doing favours for people who are a pain in the arse because they won’t tell me where they’ve seen my daughter.

I’m getting jaded quite quickly.

14. pilouuuu says:

They’ve bacon my favourite developers! They’re like Bioware. Except they don’t suck.