He-Man & G.I. Joe Enrol In Toy Soldiers: War Chest DLC

Who’d win in a fight between G.I. Joe and He-Man? Bizarrely, Toy Soldiers: War Chest [official site] may help you answer that question. Publishers Ubisoft have announced that the latest in Signal Studios’ fun action-tower defence series will offer armies based on toys from when you were young, y’know: before everything went so wrong. Master of the Universes and G.I. Joe toys are the first two licensed armies announced, with another two still under wraps.

And now that you’re interested, here’s the kicker: if you want the licensed toys, you’ll need to pay extra. I don’t know what else you’d expect from a partnership between Ubisoft and Mattel.

The idea of having licensed armies joining Signal’s four fictional toy lines is jolly exciting for a game about toys fighting, and I understand licenses are rarely free, but oh it’s a bit of a disappointment isn’t it? I never liked G.I. Joe (or Action Force, as the cartoon was named over here) so I’d gladly smash the twerps to bits. And in the game. I may have done that to some of the toys when I was wee one. I did like He-Man because he had a big green cat.

Toy Soldiers: War Chest is due this summer, priced at $14.99 (£10-ish), and I’ll pick it up as I enjoyed the first two games. As for the licensed stuff… probably not. Individual armies will cost an extra $4.99, or $14.99 for the lot of them, or the ‘Hall of Fame’ edition with them included will be $29.99 – costing an extra cent more than buying separately. No thank you.

Wisq says:

Day one DLC for a game priced this low is interesting, because knowing about it ahead of time, you can think of it one of two ways. You can complain that they’re charging $15 for the game and $15 for the extra figures … or you can see it as a $30 game that has a 50% off discount if you don’t want (or can’t afford) the extra licensed characters.

Put it the second way, and it doesn’t sound so bad, does it? Just need to decide if the “full” game is worth $30 to you.

2. Juan Carlo says:

He-Man dolls never had bendable joints.

3. Eddy9000 says:

I’m calling Thundercats and Mask.

Any other takers?

• yan spaceman says:

I’ve got a couple of long-shots … Micronauts and Steve Austin.

• eggy toast says:

He Man and GI Joe are both currently producing purchasable products, certainly the other two IPs will also be something that a someone could go to the store and buy, Matel would never promote something that was unable to put money in their pockets.

DelrueOfDetroit says:

Hot Wheels and/or Matchbox is a possibility as long as they stick to their own wacky creations.

• AbyssUK says:

ZOIDS! oh god zoids please.. or for english peeps Manta Force!

4. vorador says:

Get Transformers in there and i will pay.

5. iambecomex says:

I am English and therefore know nothing of this `GI Joe.` Not unless you call it Action Force. Which is clearly a better name.

Also: fairies, flying pink castles with rainbows, giant cats. When did my five-year-old niece become a games designer?

• Press X to Gary Busey says:

It’s from the “Thirty Years Later” spinoff link to i.imgur.com

• pepperfez says:

As an American, I’m given to understand that this is a good representation of what G.I. Joe is like.

• ShadyGuy says:

I used to watch G.I. Joe on Sky channel, which was a british channel as far as I know. I don’t ever remember them being called action force. Was it just the toys in the UK perhaps?

6. MrFinnishDude says:

I like the fact that the He-man toys have no texture to them compared to the modern toys. It really makes them feel like the actual toys from the 80s

7. j5mello says:

Looking at the “box art” on the main Ubisoft site for the game, the two silhouettes for the unrevealed armies look very much like Skeletor and Cobra Commander.