Grey Goo DLC Free For A Few More Hours

Quick! Hurry! If you own Grey Goo [official site], don’t even wait to read the rest of this post: fire up Steam or go over here and download this DLC for free.

Now that you’ve done that, I’ll explain more. Petroglyph have launched the first DLC for their pretty solid RTS, in the shape of a three-mission mini-campaign, and very kindly are giving it free to current Grey Goo owners who download it in the first two days. Problem: it came out on Tuesday, so you only have until 5pm (7 hours after this post goes up) to grab it. Sorry for the tardy news!

The ‘Emergence’ mini-campaign is set in a gap in the game’s campaign, across three missions and six cinematics showing what happened to Singleton after the explosion at the Terminal, words that I assume will mean something to people who’ve played it. Petroglyph explain:

“An ally turned enemy, Singleton’s journey remains a mystery to his former companions. But what happened to cause his corruption and turn? And what drives the Goo itself? Delve into the Goo’s origins and learn its true intention and plan for the galaxy.”

The DLC will cost $7.99 from this afternoon.

Say, now I may have a few Grey Goo owners reading, how is the game? Eyes have looked keenly to Petroglyph for the next romper-stomper of an arcade RTS, remembering they were founded by former Command & Conquer folks, but their games mostly seem to turn out… okay. From what I’ve heard, Grey Goo is one of their best yet? But maybe I know a load of liars. Let me know, yeah? One of that lot said they were taking my silverware to polish three months ago and I haven’t seen them since.

1. Cinek says:

Damn, no way to first get a DLC and then think if I want the game itself…. oh well… I’ll pass.

2. Scroll says:

It is probably Petroglyph’s best game despite the lack of updates and lingering bugs from the first few months.

Generally it feels like they took a lot of ideas from Universe at war and made them a lot less rubbish; Shame its having issues maintaining a population.

• Apocalypse says:

I don´t see how it is a shame. The game seems never to have aimed at any competitive multiplayer and it still good enough to load up anytime to play with your friends.

And to reply to the original question in the article:

The game is stellar. Awesome. Great. And a big pile of rubbish.
      The design of the races, lore, story, campaign missions and such are great, the AI and the mission scripting used to be very, very bad. So bad that scouting a few inch to far with a single unit will unleash multiple super units onto your little army, because the designers assume only someone with a big army could pass at that point and not a lonely scout unit. This happens very often throughout the whole game and leads either to very passive gameplay or playing aggressively and memorizing the stupid mission triggers to avoid accidentally triggering them right on the start.

For me it totally destroyed any fun I had with the game, but if you are lucky you can have a hell of a good ride with the game.

Another issue is that outside of those scripting triggers that game is rather easy, easy seems to be the new normal, so playing on hard is a good idea for any experienced rts gamers, which than again makes the whole “something gone wrong with that mission trigger” thing even worse. Without them it still relatively easy on hard. ;-)

3. Jdopus says:

It’s a mechanically solid game, but I find it difficult to get into because all the factions really lack personality.

When I click a conscript in Red Alert 2, the unit’s got a very clear personality, fun voice acting and it plays a big role in getting me interested in actually playing as a faction.

All of Grey Goo’s factions and units are, to me, incredibly bland. It’s probably inevitable with grey goo units, but all the human units are samey-looking drones and even the faction which you would think has the most potential for having a bit of personality, the beta, somehow manages to be as samey and bland as the others. It not only makes them less fun to play, it also makes it very hard to manage your armies quickly because you can’t tell at a glance which units do what.

A quick glance at this page of all human buildings kind of tells you all you need to know, all of their units look incredibly similar and it’s really difficult to tell at a glance which unit does what.

link to greybox.com
    link to greybox.com

It’s a real shame, I wanted to like the game but this issue alone stops me getting into it.

4. EhexT says:

Horrible, Horrible Campaign mission design.
    Good UI (not nearly as good as Relics UIs), a massive improvement over everything else Petroglyph have ever done.
    Still great concept artists to make the factions look unique and strange.
    Absolutely none of the cool faction design they had in UaW is left. 2 of the 3 factions are near identical, and the 3rd is almost a carbon copy of Earth 2160s worst faction.

5. PhilBowles says:

Picked this up during the sale and through the first two missions. First impression is that it’s a bit simplistic – you can do pretty much everything simultaneously, and all there is to do is spam units of a few poorly-distinguished (in description) types. Obviously this is the campaign, and so a pseudo-tutorial, but there’s a lack of activated abilities of any kind – everything’s A-move. All I can imagine being different in the main game is the resource count, hopefully ticking up a little more slowly.

Despite nice implementation of elevation, and a ‘brush’ system of wooded cover, tactics seem a bit lacking – where there is brush you can briefly set an ambush, but opposing units will be inside the woods firing back pretty much immediately. The mission maps at least are pretty tightly ‘laned’, giving formula routes to attack and defend.

The interface is a bit frustrating – units don’t have command icons in their sidebar as they do in CoH or Starcraft, and command groups aren’t highlighted or given their own panel; this is a particular issue since the hub system requires you to manage multiple bases and factories,