Get Ready To Rumble: Hearthstone’s Tavern Brawl Mode

Whoa whoa, no one told me this rumble had been upgraded to a brawl.

To me, the rumble is most fun kind of pub fight. A barney is too personal, a brawl too sloppy, a fracas too hoity-toity, and a plain old fight is the kind of thing that’ll get someone killed. No, give me the spectacle of a rumble in a pub, bar, or wine lodge and I’m happy. Blizzard beg to differ.

A new Hearthstone [official site] mode named ‘Tavern Brawl’ is coming soon to the free-to-play CCG, bringing a new surprise PvP challenge each week.

Blizzard say in the announcement:

“Each week, a different Tavern Brawl will pit you head to head versus another player using exciting and unique rules. One week might feature preset decks, while another week could have you crafting a brand new Tavern Brawl deck following specific guidelines, while others might offer buffs to specific minion types—who knows!”

Sounds pretty interesting, that. Changing up the rules can let your mastery and knowledge really shine through, testing how well you know the game and can adapt to the unfamiliar. Or I suppose you can wait for someone on the Internet to figure it out then copy their decks.

The mode is due to kick off in “mid-June”, and the first several brawls will offer a free card pack when you win your first game in ’em. You’ll need to hit level 20 to join in the Brawl at all, mind – can’t risk having kids around for shenanigans like that.

1. KDR_11k says:

I guess they want to reduce the sameyness of the decks people use and separate those who design decks from those who just input an existing deck list.

2. mtomto says:

It’s a good game, but still just a card game…
    … I wonder how many years Blizzard can continue making mediocre games while fans expect mindblowing games. Smells like Maxis…

• Janichsan says:

What exactly is a mind-blowing game for you? In my opinion, Blizzard hasn’t released anything truly “mind-blowing” for more than a decade now.

• lordfrikk says:

If you’re looking for innovation I think you’re better off looking elsewhere. I think Blizzard even said as much themselves.

3. Rizlar says:

As much as the previous two snarky comments ring true, this seems like a really good idea. Mixing things up, seeing if you can rise to a certain challenge is way more interesting than ‘grind premade mode with decks you have looked up on icyveins or ‘grind arena mode with decks you have looked up on icyveins’. This seems potentially way more interesting than any of the PvE expansions they have released.

particlese says:

What about bunfights? I guess they’re not really a tavern sort of thing, but I love the word and the imagery it conjures in my non-British mind: rabbits/bunnies in fisticuffs, Princess Leia clones duking it out (guess who’s really fighting the clone wars), or Proper people exclusively throwing buns at each other; each occurring at a tea party.

Also: Thanks, RPS, for introducing me to this word. I gleefully half-apologize for my abuse of it.

particlese says:

P.S.: That said, brought back to reality, I’d have to go with the old unrumble as the most fun.

5. Cockie says:

I am rather looking forward like this, it sounds like it could be really fun. And the first few weeks they’ll give cardpacks for the first brawl you win that week which is pretty cool too.

6. Edgar the Peaceful says:

I’ve always preferred a Brouhaha

7. Rymdkejsaren says:

I am quite looking forwards to this! I play arena mostly since I prefer draft over constructed, but this sounds like it could be great fun, and it should force people away from the need to build the same five decks and endlessly pitting them against each other. :D