Oculus Rift Will Come With Wireless Xbox One Controller

The Oculus press conference is happening in LA right now ahead of next week’s E3. You might already be watching the livestream, but if not, here’s the news so far: your cutting-edge system shock virtual reality future will be controlled with an XBox One Controller and an adapter.

So far the press conference has focused on the headset – its adjustability, its form being adapted for those who wear glasses, and so on. The controller is the first real announcement of the show, though. Oculus explained that they wanted a controller that people were already familiar with, before Microsoft’s Phil Spencer appeared at the event to talk more about the controller and introduce a video of people using it while wearing the headset to play, uh, a racing game being broadcast on a single wall of a VR space.

I like the XBox controller, but it’s interesting that Oculus have decided to offer a traditional controller and one which users of the Oculus headset won’t be able to see when they’re playing the game.

Update: Oculus have just announced the Oculus Touch, a motion controller.

1. BeaconDev says:

Disappointing.

• Cinek says:

Don’t worry, they got some weird controllers too for waving with your hands and clicking buttons. I guess some guys like you would call that “exciting”.

• John O says:

Yea, Palmer Lucky was like “you can do all sorts of things like… pointing… and waving? And a THUMBS UP”, which was greeted by a deafening blast of crickets chirping.

• Apocalypse says:

WTF?!
      All the talk about latency and then put a high latency controller into the mix? And one with a barely functioning d-pad on top of that.

• Asurmen says:

I can’t see the wireless latency for the controller being that much of an issue seeing as it isn’t what makes you feel ill and is small compared to the amount of latency involved in vision.

2. Sp4rkR4t says:

This was the moment I lost all interest in Oculus.

• Mordaedil says:

Same. I’m in the market to buy a monitor here, not a frickin’ storefront.

3. Squishydew says:

A shame, this pretty much cements my lack of faith in oculus.
    Lets see how Vive does.

4. vorador says:

Son, i am disappoint.

With not only the Vive pushing for full body tracking, but also Sony’s Morpheus with motion tracking, Oculus offering is unusually weak.

Man, it’s sad that the one that started the current VR craze is the weakest one right now.

• Cinek says:

Really? You care about body tracking? Last thing I want is a Wii on PC.

Controller was a natural choice. HOTAS, HOSAS, HOMAS are other, natural alternatives. Heck – I could even handle M+KB, cause I’m used to gaming and typing without looking at M+KB. But… standing and body control? Screw that.

• vorador says:

No, it’s not a natural choice, no matter what you say. It’s breaks the immersion.

But hey, whatever floats your boat.

• fish99 says:

I can’t see body tracking translating into any existing games, and I also don’t have any space for walking about, so to me it’s pointless. I wanna sit at my desk and use either controller or mouse/keyboard. I wanna play games like Skyrim, ARK or Elite on it, not some game that simulates walking about and manipulating objects in a 3m squared space.

• Cinek says:

You either don’t know what immersion is or you’re here just for trolling.

• vorador says:

Discussion moot. They’ve just announced an optional motion tracking controller, the Oculus Touch.

• Smoky_the_Bear says:

I’d put good money on all this motion tracking nonsense to turn into nothing more than a bit of a gimmick in the same way that people bought a Wii and went “Isn’t this great, we can jump around playing games, WEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE”, and after a few weeks it sat gathering dust.
          People still want to play games properly. I don’t buy the nonsense about “breaking immersion”, you are wearing a fucking box on your head, how exactly does using a decent control scheme rather than some random arm waving “break immersion”?

5. Sakkura says:

This will simply make the Oculus Rift more expensive while bringing no benefit for the user.

• ulix says:

Yep. I mean sure, the Xbox One controller is aparrently better than the 360 controller most PC gamers are using. But still… I don’t need it.

• ulix says:

I mean I have 2 Xbox Controllers, 2 PS3 controllers which I can use via Bluetooth, an old PS2-sytle Logitech controller, and an array of cheap HAMA controllers. Why would I need a sixth or seventh analog controller?

• Cinek says:

It will bring a benefit to the users that don’t have any controller. Imagine that among PC gamers – that’s the majority.

• EhexT says:

They don’t need a controller because they’ve got a Keyboard and Mouse, both of which are just as usable with the Oculus, while having more buttons, more precisions – in short, more options. This is doing nothing but drive the price of the kit up for the consumer while looking good in the resumé of whatever Microsoft dolt came up with it.

• manny says:

Probably came practically free from Microsoft if they agreed to put their logo somewhere. And for a $1500 device, the $20 cost for a controller is nothing. Get serious.

6. Not_Id says:

Just waiting for Microsoft to announce that Oculus are building headsets for Xbox One consoles.

Oculus/Facebook will want to make as much money as they can from headset sales and that would be one way.

• Smoky_the_Bear says:

I can see this happening, Valve has it’s own system, Sony has it’s own, Microsoft have bugger all from what I’ve seen.

7. Kefren says:

I only like wired controllers. I want to feel like a 1980’s cyborg. Batteries are too 1990’s.

• Kefren says:

Actually, if I’d been using it as an immersive screen sat in front of my PC (ideal for driving/flight sims) then I want to use a keyboard and mouse. I already play in the dark, it would be no different.

• Smoky_the_Bear says:

I’m pretty sure you will be able to do this. They are just reporting that the Oculus will be bundled with the XBox pad as the default controller. I’m sure devs will still also cater to keyboard/mouse users.

8. Banks says:

No thanks.

9. SuicideKing says:

The wireless Xbone controller will only work with Windows 10.

And the Steam Summer Sale is on.

• Apocalypse says:

Priceless.
      They could not make it better, if they wanted to parody the facebook sellout.

10. Jenks says:

I’m fine with what OR is doing here, although I would prefer to buy it without any input device and supply my own. I expect to be using a gamepad, kbm, HOTAS, wheel and pedals, and I’m sure other input devices with whatever VR headset I wind up with.

Valve might be creating motion controls that are actually fun, or they might be creating another wii/kinect/move fad.

• Cinek says:

I doubt you will be forced to buy it with either of input devices.

• Sakkura says:

They said the Oculus Rift will come with an Xbox One controller. At least at this point it doesn’t sound like you’ll be able to buy a Rift without an Xbox One controller.

• Cinek says:

Yea, cause there will be an option to buy the bundle. Thought that’s obvious.

11. Ethaor says:

Premature article ^^

12. spamenigma says:

“Oculus Rift Will Come With Wireless Xbox One Controller” That’s a bargain!!!.. xbox one controllers are not too expensive and an oculus rift comes with it! :)

13. Smoky_the_Bear says:

Since when is being able to see a gamepad an issue? I don’t think I ever look at mine when I’m using one.

• gunny1993 says:

I prefer to look at my controller rather than the terrible graphics of a console

OHHHHHH MASTER RACE *starts to froth and spasm*

14. cpy says:

Can i get OR without crap like completely useless headphones TM, lag controller and stupid wristbands? So much disappointment packed in 60 minutes, i can’t believe it.

15. tonicer says:

Wow, way to lose even the tiniest bit of my interest in the oculus. First that whole facebook debacle and now this.

16. kael13 says:

But… I just bought one! I do quite like it. It’s certainly the best controller I’ve ever used (still haven’t tried a DS4, however) but I don’t particularly want two. I just use it for PC games.

17. Uninteresting Curse File Implement says:

Since when do you need to look at the controller to play, like, anything ever? I don’t even really understand people who say they need to see the keyboard when they play on KBM, but how do you not remember what button is where on a gamepad? Or its it just that you will be holding a thing and not seeing it with your eyes in the Cyberspace? Unfortunately, people will have to get used to it if they want to play GAMES and not some primitive tech demos built for motion controls…