Shadow Warrior 2 Announced Packing Four-Player Co-op

Four-player co-op and missions into procedurally-generated lands are the two biggest shiny new things Shadow Warrior 2 [official site] will bring, publishers Devolver Digital announced this afternoon following a teasingly short teaser campaign.

Lo Wang will return in 2016 as a mercenary murdering folks and swiping loot while trying not to be murdered by demons. This time he’ll have friends to help with that. Also guns, a sword, and magic powers, same as ever. Come have a look in the first trailer.

And look, here’s what Devolver have to say about it:

“Now surviving as a reclusive mercenary on the edge of a corrupted world, the formidable warrior must again wield a devastating combination of guns, blades, magic and wit to strike down the demonic legions overwhelming the world. Battle alongside allies online in four-player co-op or go it alone in spectacular procedurally-generated landscapes to complete daring missions and collect powerful new weapons, armor, and arcane relics of legend.”

Co-op and procedural generation are always interesting partners, with new levels keeping action fresh as you and yer murderfriends keep playing. Procedural generation also brings the problem of a bum algorithm generating wonky levels, though, and designing good FPS levels is difficult even for real human level designers.

They’ll be showing off the game live in a stream out of E3 on June 15th at 8:30pm.

1. MrNash says:

Procedurally-generated, you say? Color me intrigued.

2. Philomelle says:

While I’m not much for co-op, I dare say four Wangs at the price of one sounds like a pretty sweet deal.

• Scumbag says:

So many thick and meaty wangs in one small package makes me excited.

3. derbefrier says:

as someone who loved the reboot and loves co-op, this makes me very happy.

4. piedpiper says:

“procedurally generated levels”

I don’t like this. It’s good for roguelikes like Heavy Bullets and Ziggurat, but I don’t think it fits for storydriven shooters. Still I have a great confidence in this team because I enjoyed Hard Reset and Shadow Warrior immensely.

• Koshinator says:

Indeed – Flying Wild Hog definitely know how to inject fun into FPS.

• PopeRatzo says:

Hard Reset and Shadow Warrior weren’t trying to be 4-player co-op games. They were unapologetic single-player FPS games and it made them both very special.

I just want to be able to play games that aren’t trying to match-make me with other gamers. Hell, I don’t even like other gamers, but I love games dearly.

• Apocalypse says:

You sincerely need some gamer friends.

It really seems that this plague called automatic matchmaking has spread so far that people think about random idiots annoying the shit out of you when they hear coop.

gritz says:

4 player co-op is super exciting, as long as they don’t go down the path of scaling everything into bullet-sponge territory to balance it for 4 players.

6. ButterflyRogers says:

How could I say no to more wang

7. ansionnach says:

Looks interesting. Lo Wang was much funnier as a sad old codger in the 1997 game, though. Making him young, badass and wearing shades is trying to be cool in a far too obvious way.

• dethtoll says:

While there’s merit to your argument, I’d really rather just have Shadow Warrior minus the racism, thanks.

• ansionnach says:

He’d have been fairly quiet, then! It’s certainly pretty scattergun, silly and stupid but maybe there is a smidgen of parody directed towards Orientalism in there, too. I mean, do you think that anything conflating Japan, China and probably the rest of Asia into a single “country” is supposed to be taken seriously? It can be cringe-worthy but the game’s mostly about running around and shooting things and I think most people who leave their taking offence ahead behind them can enjoy that bit for what it is – a shooter that’s probably heavily influenced by the likes of Big Trouble in Little China. Maybe the worst thing about the game is that it’s not that great a shooter in the first place.

8. vorador says:

Shadow Warrior was a reboot done right. So i’m pretty much stoked and really to get all over this game the moment it comes.

Sorry i couldn’t resist.

9. Spacewalk says:

Marketing departments need to stop putting boring made for radio heavy rock into trailers when there’s the call for real metal to be answered.

10. Spiralling says:

Would have liked a Hard Reset sequel better. But this will do nicely.

11. tonicer says:

“Coming to PC, Xbox One, and PlayStation 4 in 2016.” :(

Why not “PC only” that would have made me pre-order it even with my ongoing hatred for pre-ordering games.

12. socrate says:

while most people claim this was a real good take on shadow warrior to me i only saw serious sam and painkiller stuck in a room where stuff suddenly spawn from thin air to attack you…i dont hate these old game but their not the same thing as duke nukem 3d,blood,shadow warrior,doom and even unreal and quake were..they are more of an arena shooter then anything.

i also found that the dumb upgrade system and skill tree was stupid and unnecessary and didn’t help remembering these old game that just gave you alt fire straight away without dumb allocation,some of the control also were designed it seemed for console and felt a bit crap compared to what it could be…and the enemy design to me was awful even compared to serious sam,painkiller and hard reset which i thought to begin with that it had really badly made enemy….oh well i guess gamer that apparently remember these game actually never played them to begin with.

again i do like serious sam and painkiller although they went a bit crappy with their follow up title and bad dlc and expansion that didnt add much but thats the problem all their game feel the same…if you’ve played one you’ve played them all,they just never improve or evolve like other fps did and multiplayer isn’t going to help that since ive already played these kind of game before with people and they all had their fill….and if its to play with random people then il just pass since playing with random people is always a generally horrible experience.