BlazBlue Devs Buy Double Dragon & Kunio-kun Games

Guilty Gear and BlazBlue developers Arc System Works were slow to take to PC, but they are now steadily bringing their games over – a few years behind their console releases, admittedly. I’m jolly excited, then, that Arc have bought up the rights to a load of games that I’d be delighted to see them take on in their technically and visually beautiful way.

River City Ransom, Super Dodge Ball, the rest of the Kunio-kun series, and Double Dragon are among the games Arc now owns after picking up the catalogue of their creators, Technos Japan. Obviously they have plans for them. Hopefully these plans include PC releases.

The Japanese company don’t have anything specific to announce at this moment, with today’s English announcement basically saying “Yep, we got ’em!” Technos Japan actually shut down in the ’90s, but their catalogue was picked up and continued by a company named Million. Arc have developed and even published a few Kunio-kun games, but now they’re properly in charge of Technos’ titles.

Their Japanese announcement is a little more detailed, with wonky autotranslation telling me it says they plan to make and license games in some of the series they’ve picked up.

The Kunio-kun games have mostly been on Nintendo handhelds for years now, so Arc may simply continue that for all I know, but I hope not. I’d like to see Arc’s takes on the weird fighty sports games and especially the beat ’em ups.

I’d really go for a side-scrolling beat ’em up with a satisfying fighting system. Oh aye, games like Devil May Cry and Metal Gear Rising: Revengeance are essentially technical beat ’em ups in 3D, but I’d like to see more back in 2D.

Pretty please, Auntie Arc.

1. Spacewalk says:

A PC release of River City Ransom EX would be pretty cool even if it’s just running on an emulator. A proper port with actual co-op would be fantastic since that’s something that got left out. Your gang of AI chums was hardly a replacement.

• Ryuuga says:

Only played the NES version of River City Ransom but yes, co-op is damn fun. Online co-op would be awesome, got a friend that I’d love to play that with!

2. shoptroll says:

As someone who grew up on NES/SNES and PC, it’s been incredibly surreal this week to see not one, but two articles headlined with images from franchises I primarily associate with consoles. Three articles, I guess if you count Street Fighter.

This is not a bad thing.

Also, I wonder what implications this has for the River City Random Underground developers.

• Ryuuga says:

They’re properly licensed and from what I can see, their game seems to add a lot of new things to the original formula: faithful, but quite distinct.

Might even be an opportunity for synergy?

3. swaboo says:

Hope this doesnt affect the River City Ransom Underground release in a negative way.

4. jnik says:

Yes, it would be amazing if Double Dragon were available for the PC. You can even wish for it to be on sale!

It’s not every single game with the name, but it’s something.

5. Tim James says:

The two best 2D beat ’em ups with satisfying technical mechanics are Aces Wild and Phantom Breaker Battle Grounds. The former is based on sight reading while the latter is based on stringing together creative combos.

6. illuminerdi says:

Ok ASW, what you have to do is really simple:

New River City Ransom game with at least 60% of BlazBlue’s fighting system, and use the same graphics style to make stupidly amazing art for said game.

Then shut up and take my money.

7. LexW1 says:

Way to bury the lede guys! The big news here is SUPER DODGE BALL!

That game… I got it on some hacked/pirate 5-game cartridge from god-knows-where-Asia (HK maybe?) for my Megadrive, and it was just amazing. The hours and hours we spent on that!

I really hope it gets a console release as well as PC.

8. raiders says:

I would play Super Dodge Ball on my SNES as kid for HOURS! I lived for beating the Russians at the Kremlin.
    I remember the 1st time when that USA “mirror” match popped-up immediately after I thought I finally beat the game.
    Talk about intense single-player gameplay on a console?
    I would mash those buttons so hard to throw the perfect strike, I left finger imprints on the controllers.
    Those were the days.
    Wouldn’t mind seeing a current-gen version of THAT game on the PC.

9. sixsixtrample says:

For the love of all that is holy, give me a new super dodgeball game. I will throw money at the screen.

10. MrNash says:

This made me happy. Bring us a new Super Dodgeball game please! Also a new River City Ransom. <3