Monster-Hunting Action-RPG Toukiden: Kiwami Due On PC

It seems jolly unlikely that Capcom will bring their Monster Hunter series to PC any time soon, but if you really want to hunt giant nasty things and beat them up in half-hour boss battles, Koei Tecmo will let you have a crack at their knock-off.

Toukiden: Kiwami [official site], an action-RPG about hunting and murdering giant demons, is coming to PC via Steam on June 26th. It’s all a bit Monster Hunter-y but I hear it’s not as good as Monster Hunter but you do get to fight giant demons and it does support co-op and that doesn’t sound half-bad.

Right! So: hordes of horrible demons/oni have swarmed the world, and you’re one of the defenders of your village. As well as smashing monsters yourself, you can become pally with other warriors in your village and have them join your squad. Or replace them with online co-op players.

As these sorts of games often will, it boasts of big numbers: 100 hours to complete; 50 types of Oni; 300 fallen heroes “whose rescued souls help strengthen the player’s team”, which I’m sure means something; and 1500 weapon variations.

Toukiden: Kiwami is made by Dynasty Warriors and Samurai Warriors and All The Warriors developers Omega Force. It came out on PlayStation 4 and Vita in March, so this release isn’t too far behind. As the one PC trailer is rubbish, here’s one for the PS4 version:

1. Creeping Death says:

Awesome! I’ve been considering picking this up on Vita for a while but guess I’ll just grab this instead

2. Andrew says:

Preview from USgamer actually called “Toukiden: Kiwami is Monster Hunter for people who don’t have time for Monster Hunter”. And, hey, that’s me! “Kiwami runs at a much faster pace, and completely cuts out the meticulous item management which often takes up a hefty amount of time in Monster Hunter.”

3. Makaze says:

Have it for the Vita and it’s a decent MH-like. They’re not lying about the numbers, there are a good number of monsters each with 2-3 variants and then in turn 3 levels of difficulty. I’m 130+ hours in and only just now at the end of the multiplayer content (which you can play single player).

It’s not as deep as MH, there are no items, things like environmental conditions that require you to equip specific gear, hunger, or just the general feeling of urgency and danger from attrition that MH sports. It’s also ridiculously easy when compared to MH. Even in the single player missions you almost always have 3 companions any one of which can revive you if you are killed, not that you’ll be killed very often. Still it’s entertaining enough and I have at no point had the urge to throw it across the room in an incandescent bout of apocalyptic rage, something that can’t be said for MH…

4. frightlever says:

“It seems jolly unlikely that Capcom will bring their Monster Hunter series to PC any time soon”

Sure they will, and we’ll get an HD Dragon’s Dogma re-make and Deep Down and, what? Why you lookin’ at me like that? It’s gonna happen, man, it’s gonna happen…

5. Eight Rooks says:

Technically Capcom already have brought Monster Hunter to the PC!

It’s just online- and Asian territories-only, IIRC. :(

6. Bobtree says:

This is good news. We are WAY overdue for a PC Monster Hunter, so I’ll be happy to see someone else eat Capcom’s lunch here, and I was considering picking up Toukiden Kiwami when I get a PS4. My one concern is that some of Koei Tecmo’s recent PC ports are reportedly pretty raw (DOA5 + its DLC apocalypse, Bladestorm).

7. Kitsunin says:

Oh hey, I skipped over this news at first but I just remembered that Gaijin Goombah episode about one of the games in this series…I’m excited now! I mean sure I’ve got MH4U, but something with a bit more graphical pizazz sounds brilliant.

8. lordfrikk says:

I liked what I played of Monster Hunter back on my PSP but this looks extremely button-mashy in a bad way. It seems like they copied a lot of MH’s features including the weird map but changed the really important bit that made the game great and that’s combat. Hmm.