Early Excess: Quinns Revisits Darkest Dungeon

Hey! It’s a new and sporadic video series from Quintin Smith called Early Excess, re-visiting Early Access games to see what they are, how development has progressed, and whether they’re any good.

First up: 50 minutes of Darkest Dungeon [official site], a fantasy RPG in which you’re managing your squad’s mental state as much as their stats and inventory.

Remember to subscribe to the RPS YouTube channel for more videos like this and also not at all like this.

We’re experimenting with more videos to supplement our wordy offerings, and so our output is a constant work in progress. Your feedback will help us improve.

Like this? Why not try Quinns’ other video series COGWATCH, which breaks apart individual mechanics in individual games to see how they work.

This post was funded by the RPS Supporter program. Subscribe and get free things! And words! And videos!

1. Creeping Death says:

Quinns AND Darkest Dungeon? RPS, you’ve just made my day!

2. RimeOfTheMentalTraveller says:

The legendary mind behind the Pathologic articles talks about one of my favourite kickstarted games? Noice!

3. anHorse says:

Really liking these videos, but then again I always liked Quinns as a writer so it’s hardly suprising

heretic says:

This is brilliant, totally overlooked this game in earlier articles – but watched the whole 50 minutes of this video!

5. Imbecile says:

Yeah, its great. Ironically, Ive just stopped playing it to watch this whole video. But I didnt realise the game tracked the characters turns, so Ive learned something!

6. Christo4 says:

Quinnies!
    I like Quinnies more than Quinns.

7. Tiax says:

This is exactly the kind of stuff I’m backing RPS *and* SUSD for.

Keep at it, you’re doing something unique.

8. Al Bobo says:

I just spent 4 hours playing this game. Oops. Then I watched someone else play it…

Andy_Panthro says:

I thought “50 minutes of video??” and wasn’t going to watch it but then I did and it was great.

I really want to play this now, but I know I have tons of other games currently, and should really wait until it’s finished (or slightly closer to finished). Gah.

• suibhne says:

The full 1.0 release is still targeted for 2H, which means we’re getting pretty close, and the game’s procedural/roguelike design means it’s already highly playable.

Andy_Panthro says:

2H?

I ended up buying it. It’s great, but I’m finding it quite hard. It seems like the sanity meter fills up way too fast, and healing is very limited. I will persevere though.

• RimeOfTheMentalTraveller says:

I’m a backer and even I don’t know when they’re targeting release. What is 2H?

10. Henas says:

And it’s currently on the Steam sale for 25% off. Get on it!

Only Early Access game I’ve knocked up more than 40 hours on. Quins does a good job of selling it too. I picked up Invisible Inc based on his awesome review.

11. Freud says:

I hope you can save before looking in an urn, so you can reload if you get an affliction…

• Shadow says:

That’s not how DD nor any roguelike works.

However, it is possible to purify objects (curios) with certain items, to guarantee a positive result. Afflictions are otherwise part of the game, and you’re meant to live and cope with them.

12. slerbal says:

That was an excellent video and I’m not normally a fan of vids. I went ahead and bought DD and so far it is great!

13. manny says:

Seriously is this some type of joke? Does the youtuber think they are Jennifer Lawrence, started grating on me after barely 2 minutes of audio. I waste my time enough as it is. Video needs to be 10 minutes tops given the narrator has an annoying voice, and much much tighter scripting, you know have some production values instead of just talking while your playing the games.

And lastly I resent that Pathologic article as it had massive spoilers for a game that’s incredibly important, it’s like spoiling the Godfather.

14. Snazzy says:

50 minutes of Quinns? It’s almost like a weird “British stranger comes to your house” Christmas.

15. bobmcjohnson says:

Really liking Quinns videos, keep it up :D
    I bought the game a while ago but barely played it, might give it another go if I manage to get away from Invisible Inc :P