Best Steam Summer Sale Deals: Day 3

A band of vagabonds ride through the streets in a stolen car, hollering obscenities and passing out cash cards - small bits of cardboard with FUNBUCKS written on them in comic sans. The citizens of Steamville are disdainful to their wild actions, preoccupied by the green tide of deals swarming around their feet.

What are the best Steam Summer Sale deals? Each day for the duration of the sale, we’ll be offering our picks – based on price, what we like, and what we think more people should play. Read on for the five best deals from day 3 of the sale.

A reminder: resist the wily charms of non-daily, non-flash, non-community deals – you can extract more value from your hard-earned dollar/pound/euro/bitcoin. One good thing about the minigame is it’s giving us an additional nine deals a day, so it’s basically inevitable that whatever you want will be discounted further. Then there’s always the final day spending spree, where hopefully I’ll be able to give you a bumper set of recommendations.

As for the minigame itself, naturally it’s inspired its own subreddit. Most people, myself included, are using a bit of javascript to auto-play the game in the most efficient manner possible and maximise DPS. There isn’t really any reason to do so as all the upgrades are only really interesting if you’re actually playing the game, but racing for the highest room level completed can distract you from the endless abyss into which we’re all falling and there’s some nice Steam badges for it too. Remember that the unlocked discounts from it show up at the bottom of the minigame page, rather than on the frontpage.

Deals? DEALS?! DEEEEEAAAAALLLLSSS!!!

5. The Evil Within

75% off: $14.99 / £8.74 / €14.99, Store page

Shinji Mikami, of the original Resident Evil and its fourth iteration, directs this story of horror, gore and gorey horror. Incredibly claustrophobic and damningly difficult, it’s a marmite-game if there ever was one. Stanton and Smith have double teamed our coverage of it, Adam providing his review upon release and a follow up further down the line, while Rich had thoughts on its similarities to the director’s other games and took a look at the DLC for us. That DLC is also on sale in the form of the season pass.

4. Lethal League

66% off: $4.75 / £3.39 / €4.07, Store page

Quite possibly one of the best indie fighting games ever made. Up to four players battle it out with a variety of characters, attempting to hit each other with a ball that increases in speed whenever they wack it with their bat or bat-like device. Favourite character is definitely the horrifying ball-headed clown who can cause the ball to pass through walls. One of the best soundtracks of the year. Our collected thoughts over here.

3. Prison Architect

85% off: $4.49 / £2.99 / €4.19, Store page

The now surprisingly accurate and intricately detailed simulation of building, managing and attempting to make profit from a private prison in modern day America. There’s everything from attempted Shawshank-style escapes, to keeping death row detainees happy and ensuring prisoners aren’t being abused by staff. We’ve posted about the various Early Access patches every time they’ve taken our fancy while good old Brendan wrote a diary of his failures back in 2013.

2. Sunless Sea

40% off: $11.39 / £8.39 / €11.39, Store page

Cthulian horror sailing simulator after the end of the world has caused London to be submerged. A much more horrible FTL-style roguelike of exploration, inevitable cannibalism and general awfulness. Video games. Alec was a big fan when it sailed out of Early Access earlier this year, though had some reservations about it maybe not being for everyone. Quinns meanwhile felt that it was good enough to have a COGWATCH dedicated to it, which you can watch here. We’ve had quite a lot to say over the course of its development, so have a look at the rest.

1. Cities: Skylines

33% off: $20.09 / £15.40 / €18.75, Store page

Our game of the month for April and a well-deserving one too. Filling the void left by the unpopular Simcity reboot, this city-builder found a massive following with its intricately simulated urban planning. Alec gave it the full diary write up while Duncan Geere took a shot at creating a self-sustaining paradise. Modding the game proved popular enough that Alec first wrote and then updated a list of all the best ones available. Mr. Meer was also first on the scene with the initial review. Loads more over our exhaustive coverage over here.

Only a couple of recommendations from the comments yesterday:

Command: Modern Air / Naval Operations WOTY – $39.99 / £30.49 / €36.99 – A full-on war simulator, currently discounted 50% to the price of a regular game. If sims are your thing, this is definitely worth looking into, as people in the know seem to recommend it even at the £60 price point.
Creeper World 3: Arc Eternal – $1.49 / £1.09 / €1.49 – a top-down tower-defense game that seems to eschew most of the usual lane-building, monster-killing elements in favour of base building and a full, story-based campaign with multiple endings. You can probably do a lot worse for less than two of your local currency.

And, of course, this:

Top comments

1. fauxC says:

OMSI2 is still the cheapest it's ever been on Steam for another 10 hours. Surprised you guys didn't mention it yesterday!
  1. fauxC says:

OMSI2 is still the cheapest it’s ever been on Steam for another 10 hours. Surprised you guys didn’t mention it yesterday!

2. Procrastination Giant says:

“The now surprisingly accurate and intricately details simulation of building, managing and attempting to make profit from a private prison in modern day America.”
    Don’t let the Prison Architect Devs hear that hehe… Judging by most of the Alpha Videos they’re more than a bit irritated by the fact that everybody always assumes that it’s supposed to be “modern day America”, since it’s really not. And it has reached a point where it almost sounds like it’s causing them a headache during developement since they constantly have to second-guess if something they’re adding makes the game feel even more “americanized”.

• Luringen says:

Considering the prisons have a western (Europe, US) look, and the only country in that group that has death sentences is USA, it’s not hard to assume it’s set there :P

• pepperfez says:

Yeah, that’s a weird thing for them to take exception to. For-profit prisons are pretty much exclusive to the Anglophone world anyway, so that’s what they’re going to be compared to.

• Procrastination Giant says:

I guess once that assumption or comparison takes hold they’ll start to take flack for adding things that you don’t expect in american prisons (and the game already has a couple of things that you probably won’t find in US prisons.) or for adding things that seem like direct commentary on the US penitentiary system, which is something they’re desperately trying to avoid. The US system definitely is a large influence and while the prisons you build “could” be in the US its something they simply do not want to explicitly state.

But yeah, i just found that quote in this article somewhat amusing since it’s stated in such a matter-of-fact way and simply is something that slowly turned into a bit of a running gag on those alpha videos. (which i find quite entertaining anyway)

• fabulousfurrygingerfreakbrothers says:

Well the prisoners are dressed in orange, for one. Not grey with arrows on them.

3. Vandelay says:

I was doing so well resisting. Day One I held back on Homeworld Remastered, Day Two was Wolfenstein The Old Blood. Day Three has City Skylines though…

Perhaps I should go to the talk down thread on the forums.

4. malkav11 says:

Cities: Skylines may be a great game but 33% off isn’t really a great deal.

• Moni says:

cdkeys.com also have a better deal at £9.90.

• Jalan says:

Exactly. Most of these aren’t really deals at all. They’re just dressed up in a summer sale wrapper in an effort to sucker in people who don’t know better.

Speaking for myself, these deals still haven’t impressed nor have they had me leaping to dump my money toward them. I did break though and buy the second Vault Hunter upgrade for Borderlands 2. I really shouldn’t have, since it sends Gearbox the message that it’s okay to pull crap like that instead of putting the DLC that does the final level cap increase in its “GOTY” edition.

• Vandelay says:

Quite. Despite my earlier comment, it isn’t quite cheap enough to entice me.

It does show how much our expectations on game prices has changed though. Cities Skyline is only about 2-3 months old and already selling at ~£15. People often say that Steam sales aren’t as good as they used to be, but I think they are just as good as they always have been; other stores just have equal good sales.

• Llewyn says:

Cheap enough for me, but then I’d have bought it at release had it been £20 rather than £23. Likewise Sunless Sea at the £10 mark. For some of us these prices strike the right balance between getting something at a price we’re happy to pay while also rewarding developers at a level we’re happy with.

• Vandelay says:

Oh, I would have caved I bought it, but I have lots of other games to be playing at the moment, so I’ve decided to avoid buying this sale. If it had of been closer £10 I might have given in.

Considering the length of time it has been out and the quality that so many claim it to be, I don’t think the price is unreasonable. It has been cheaper from other places though.

• Jalan says:

And for the rest, some want to shop during a sale to find bargains worth their while so they too can “reward developers”.

• Llewyn says:

Albeit to a lesser extent. Nothing wrong with that – this is why prices change over time, after all.

I have some vague interest in playing the recent Assassin’s Creed games, but I don’t value any of them highly enough or want to encourage future development enough or want to support Uplay enough to pay more than a fiver for any of them.

There are other games that I want to play earlier on the price/time curve, and whose developers I want to encourage, enough that I pay more for them – even release prices on occasion.

Buying games isn’t purely a question of how much you can get for how little; if it were we wouldn’t be having this conversation because at least one of us would be taking the free option instead. It’s not particularly hard to understand, based on that, that people will value things differently.

• datom says:

Yes and no.

Yes, the Steam sales are as good or almost as they have always been (minus price meddling and showing sale-long deals as ‘daily specials’). Now, their weekly/weekend deals seem to be deeper (although it’s hard to tell this early) or at least as deep, but it’s still in most cases excellent value (especially as the price of some of those might have shrunk).

No, other stores now have the potential for better sales, or at least the Steam sale is no longer sufficiently ‘better’ than other stores’ deals, and that’s a huge difference to two years ago. People were saying up to the Steam Sale they’d need to save money; they’d have better splurged at GOG.com which is so far in line with all Steam discounts or better (indeed, there’s probably some pricefixing going on), and also the Humble sale a month ago. I bought Skylines for £18 on day of release from GMG, their daily deal on Dragonfall was pricier than GOG the same day and the Humble Store the Year before. That’s a seismic shift in that between early May and now you might have seen the best price for a title already, whereas Steam still trade off the hype that there cuts are deeper/bigger.

• malkav11 says:

I would say that Steam used to have deeper discounts on the big AAA releases (has, in fact, started putting certain such games on sale for lower discounts than in previous sales, which does not feel like it should be a thing) sooner, was more consistent about applying that discount to DLC (though that wasn’t even much of a thing back in the day) and so on. But the biggest reason that they’re not as exciting to me anymore is that they keep filling that daily/flash deal roster with popular well-regarded games that have been on sale dozens of times before and thus I already own or have decided against owning. And ultimately, there’s nothing wrong with that. The fact that I have well over 1600 games in my Steam library is my own damn fault, not Valve’s. …mostly not Valve’s, anyway.

• malkav11 says:

I dunno. I don’t think 33% is an unreasonable discount given how new it is, and occasionally I’m prepared to take it on something I want more than I currently want Skylines (e.g. Telltale’s recent output, Invisible Inc). But I really can’t regard a discount of less than 50% as real savings unless the product is very expensive indeed, which Skylines isn’t. It’s more of a sop to my penny-pinching side on something I would probably be willing to buy for full price. And if I’m at all on the fence I’m generally looking for somewhere in the 70+% off range. Especially if there’s limited chance I’m going to get around to something in the near future. Because if I’m just picking it up to have “in case”, who wants to feel like a sucker when the next sale rolls around, you still haven’t played it, and it’s $5-10 cheaper, right?

5. malkav11 says:

Also, the monster-game discounts do appear on the minigame page and that’s the only spot that shows -tomorrow’s- deals, but the current ones are absolutely on the front page. Just scroll down a bit.

6. Orix says:

Always been interested in Memoria, a Dark Eye universe adventure game, which is going for £3.39.

OR if you want to spent a little more, there is a Dark Eye Universe Bundle that also includes Memoria prequel Chains of the Satinav, and CRPG Blackguards (which didn’t do too well in reviews).

Deal ends in about 40 hours.

• Orix says:

Forgot to mention, the Dark Eye Universe bundle is £4.79, so considering the price of Memoria, you get quite a bit more for very little.

7. LarsBR says:

The LEGO games are still on sale for another day, which ones are the best? I’ve only played the Marvel one, which was a fun mix of double nostalgia (except for the plane controls…).

• Ben Barrett says:

Marvel is the best by a long way, or so I’m told. I’d go with a universe you’re personally interested in rather than looking for specific quality bumps over each other – they’re close enough that your investment in seeing little brick versions of characters you like is going to be more important than whatever mechanic is in this game or that.

8. subedii says:

Will throw in another recommendation for The Evil Within (can’t really add much to the RPS words linked above), and say that it’s DLC is one of the few examples I’ve played of DLC done right.

Some people lambasted it for being almost completely stealth, but really, the main game shifted constantly between steatlh and combat, and Kidman feels more suited to Stealth. More importantly, it doesn’t feel like a tacked on part of the universe, but instead goes in-depth into explaining the story more, whilst simultaneously developing Kidman as a character in her own right.

9. RuySan says:

This sale is very underwhelming, like the last few ones. GOG sale has generally better prices, like in the case of Wasteland 2.

10. aircool says:

I bought those two Metro Redux games for less than £7 I think. So far not really seen anything that’s made me reach for the wallet straight away though.

Swordfishtrombone says:

Oh my goodness; that video.

12. Mr Coot says:

Little Inferno and Gods will be watching look a bit interesting to me, both 75% off, $2.49. Encourage my fellow aussies to stock up on all the games they’ve wanted this sale, cos it will prolly be our last one before Messrs Abbott and Hockey slug us with a digital download tax. Wankers.

• AngoraFish says:

Because of the ‘Australia tax’ I’ve been buying many of my games via proxy for some time, so it won’t effect me much either way.

13. renedixon652 says:

Get paid to read emails, take surveys online, try products, play games online and play bingo! Sign up requirements: first and last name, email address, country, zip code, and password.
    Note: This is a free opportunity no credit cards required and even no other bullshits.
    Minimum payout $70 Try Now……………………..

========================= http://www.Track-Report.Tk