Marvel At The Trailer For LEGO Marvel’s Avengers

Look fierce

As someone who grew up with LEGO blocks but did not otherwise continue their fascination into adulthood, the tie-in games have always been a source of gentle bewilderment. But I think the latest trailer for LEGO Marvel’s Avengers might have finally sold me. Unfortunately it also brings word that the game has been delayed from this autumn to winter.

Landing days before this year’s E3, the one-minute clip features some iconic scenes from the Marvel Cinematic Universe, including glimpses of the fight at New York and that rousing introduction to the cast. Speaking of which, it looks like all the usual suspects will be making an appearance and then some. While the trailer description reveals the presence of everyone’s favourite villainous heartthrob Loki, the end of the video features a glimpse of Ultron himself. (Who knew that a megalomaniacal robot could be so gosh-darned adorable? LEGO Ultron doesn’t inspire the urge to flee, only the impulse to hug.)

It might seem a bit presumptuous to be optimistic about a game heavily lacking in details still. But there is precedent. For one, the inhabitants of Castle Shotgun seem utterly besotted with a recent predecessor. John Walker seemed thrilled with LEGO Marvel Super Heroes, which bodes well because, you know, Avengers and Marvel go hand-in-hand. Either way, we’ll probably know more about the game soon enough.

1. kevmscotland says:

I thought LEGO Marvel Super Heroes had already ticked this box. Guess not.

Really wish the LEGO games would evolve somehow. They’ve been churning out the same reskinned games for years now. They are good, just little in the way of variation beyond the theme.

• Sparkasaurusmex says:

Yeah, I really want to play a game like this where I build my own vehicle out of individual blocks and drive/fly it around.

• Didero says:

Oh man, now you’ve reminded me of the old Lego Racers games. You could build your own car in those. Though I don’t think it mattered much to the handling or anything.
        They probably won’t run on my computer anymore though, they’re pretty old :/

• tintinmayo says:

I just wish Lego Marvel Heroes let you spawn bosses in the free roam mode. With the way it is right now, after you’ve finished the story and unlocked the extra characters, you end up with this huge sprawling city with nothing to do but run around. Lego Batman 2 had the right idea but kind of fell short – Gotham City had various henchmen spawning even after you beat the story, but beating up henchmen gets boring pretty fast.

At the very least, something like Bloody Palace mode or a VS mode would extend the replayability by a huge margin. Unlocking a hundred characters seems like a waste if you can’t do much with them except replay the story mode (which emphasizes character skill-specific puzzle solving more than combat, so they’re not the ideal playground for new characters.)

• Wedge says:

Yeah I’m kinda confused, MSH pretty much was the Avengers + some bonus X-Men. I don’t really know what this nets you other than some movie tie-in stuff. I personally want to know when Lego Game of Thrones is coming.

• airmikee says:

Marvel’s Avengers is a sequel/spinoff to MSH and follows the plots of the Avengers movies, whereas MSH had its own story.

• Wedge says:

Yes I know. Doesn’t really seem to warrant a new game unless you REALLY need to see the movies play out in Lego form. And you’ll get to play as a lot fewer characters (by default) in this, so seems like a downgrade to me.

• Cockie says:

Isn’t seeing movies you like being played out in a silly lego form one of the main draws of the lego games?

• HamsterExAstris says:

The games aren’t sandboxes; the stories are their raison d’être. If this was meant to replace the first game, it could be considered a downgrade; but it’s no more meant to replace LMSH than Half-Life 2: Episode 1 replaced Half-Life 2 (or Lego Harry Potter: Years 5-7 replaced Lego Harry Potter: Years 1-4).

2. Raoul Duke says:

I will never understand why people want to play a game version of a lego version of a movie version of a comic book.

Why not just (a) play with lego (b) read the comic book (c) watch the movie or (d) play a game based directly on the comic book/movie without the lego?

In fact, I don’t get lego games generally. The whole point of lego is that it is a tactile, physical construction toy. Turning it into a virtual thing relegates it to the same status as a million other electronic toys.

• Zenicetus says:

Isn’t a big part of the marketing just a nostalgia hit for gamers who grew up with Lego as kids? I’m way too old to fit that demographic, but I thought that was the whole point.

Aside from all that, what strikes me about this trailer is how little humor there is. I thought that was a hallmark of this Lego game series — sending up the movies, not just duplicating them? I’m not seeing that here.

• airmikee says:

Hmm… let’s see.. spend $150 on one LEGO set that I will assemble once, maybe twice.

Or…

Spend $150 on half a dozen LEGO video games that can be replayed over and over and over and over.

/beginsarcasm Yeah, I can see why you don’t understand why people choose the latter over the former. /endsarcasm