Rain World Keeps Getting Prettier And Prettier

It’s easy to dismiss the ideas of slug cats. I mean, who in the right minds would cram something so fluffy together with something so goshdarned slimey? The people behind Rain World [official site], that’s who. And strangely, as this new alpha footage proves, it actually all works really honkin’ well.

Unlike previous updates, however, this one seems less focused on the saccharine little devils (they have to taste irresistibly sweet. Why else would the things that share their ecosystem want to hurt them?) Instead, we’re treated to environmental changes. Project Rain World has very pretty rain now. And flooding. I’m not very sure what it all means precisely, but it looks like the game will also have “death rains” which, as you might have gathered from the name, are probably trouble.

On a brighter note, work has also been done on “deep sunlight” and all the ways lighting can bounce off the strange architectural design that populates Project Rain World. It puts a ray of hope in my heart for the little guys. Their surface world is already darkened by the presence of malevolent wildlife. Perhaps, they might find a sunny respite somewhere in the subterranean embrace of the — okay, I’ll stop with the jokes now.

1. mashkeyboardgetusername says:

This looks more and more cool. Really quite looking forward to it.

That music was cool too.

2. trollomat says:

beautiful

3. heretic says:

This looks really interesting! Nice art style and audio.

DelrueOfDetroit says:

I love the look of this so much. The controls appear to be pretty tight as well.

If I were to make one complaint it would be that there isn’t any interactivity with the environment. The game has these fabulous procedural animated characters and yet nothing they do affects the world around them. Just subtle things like the reeds swaying as you pass or the chains jingling when you jump by them.

• Crispy75 says:

Unfortunately, the way the art is put together, the backgrounds have to be static. They’re composed of 32 layers of 2D art, composited in 3D and baked with the depth information. This allows the light, shadows and water to interact with it properly (see the water surface poking in and out of the background, or the way the “light grenade” casts such stark shadows. There’s no way to animate it.

5. Ejia says:

Ah, this is the one with the slugcats. I got it confused with Risk of Rain. Not that I didn’t enjoy that one, though.

6. Psychomorph says:

I love side-scrollers.

7. Wowbagger says:

I’m a backer with Alpha access and I haven’t really touched the game as yet, I’m looking forward to a more fleshed out version soon.

syllopsium says:

Now *that* looks different. Fuck DOOM, I want something original.

9. Flit says: