Tales of Zestiria Is Coming To PC

PRETTY

In case you weren’t aware already, Malevolence is rather malevolent. So malevolent, in fact, that it’s taken to spreading across the lands contained within upcoming JRPG Tales of Zestiria [official site]. Come October 20th, players will have the opportunity to stop this nefariousness. Such a miraculous feat, of course, will involve stepping into a shoes of a “pure-hearted adventure” named Sorey who, in turn, is destined to become The Shepherd.

Tongue-in-cheek snarking aside, it’s always a good day when Bandai Namco decide to localize one of their deeply beloved Tales games. The fifteenth (!!) in a long line of titles, Tales of Zestiria will reportedly introduce a new take to the franchise’s real-time combat system. To be more specific, this means side dashes and “new combo opportunities with the fusion techniques.” Which sounds swell, really, but I’m mostly keen on the idea of making loads of imaginary friends. Apparently, Sorey will be able to cozy up to invisible things called Seraphim. One can only hope that this will involve people staring at me funny. Because that’s what happens when you chat at people who aren’t there.

It’ll have English and Japanese voice-overs, along with English, Spanish, French, Italian, German and Russian subtitles.

I’m still holding out hopes that Bandai Namco might bring the Tales spin-offs to their Western audience, although that will probably never happen. But who knows? Maybe, sales will be absolutely phenomenal. Maybe, it could happen. Maybe. For now, however, we have Zestiria and this trailer to fawn over.

1. Cassius Clayman says:

This is great news! I haven’t played any Tales games since Abyss and Symphonia, but I loved those two dearly. Pretty excited.

• BTAxis says:

I’ve got this one on PS3. It’s alright, but I definitely preferred the series when battles were side-on 2D.

• Cassius Clayman says:

I think Tales of The Abyss had the best system in the series, up to that point at least. The choice between 3d and 2d movement was a lot of fun

• Philomelle says:

You’ll be glad to know, then, that the series hasn’t changed at all since the Abyss.

In fact, Tales is pretty much the Assassin’s Creed of JRPGs. Every year, they push out the exact same game with a vaguely new-ish plot (which is actually the exact same plot with the same characters, except everything looks and is named different things) and just enough improvements to claim that it’s totally absolutely evolving. In reality, though, it’s been the same game under different names since Abyss.

On the other hand, it means nobody on PC is missing anything due to the series’ previous absence from the platform, unless they want to repeatedly play the same game.

• hemmer says:

They change up enough that it gets annoying at times, while I for example loved Tales of Graces f (in pretty much all regards, it’s just so much condensed JRPG) they made the combat system just a tad more clunky for the next game and it’s frustrating as hell, at least for me.

Still looking forward to this, it can only be good that Japan realises more and more that PCs are indeed things people play games on.

• jael182 says:

The Tales of series has two teams. The Symphonia team normally make more weak games in terms of gameplay. And they don’t innovate much e that regard. Team Destiny in the other hand almost every time, made enough changes in the battle system, that you feel playing a complete different game. Graces F has the best 3D battle system in the series so far, and is fantastic. Zestiria is made by the same team, but i hear some bad things about this one… Apparently they rush the game, and that made some problematic repercussions on it.

I will buy and play anyway, is my favorite JRPG series. Mostly because the brilliant battle system, and challenge on the highest difficulties. In terms of story and characters, in almost all of then, is a generic anime plot. Abyss and Vesperia are the best in that regard, but nothing brilliant.

• Philomelle says:

Tales had only a single team for over five yeas. After Tales of Graces, where they pushed out a disaster that made Cry of the Raven look good, Namco absorbed the studio and completely restructured it, leaving them with just enough manpower to make one game at a time. All games starting with that point were developed by the same team. It’s also why the number of spin-offs went way down, they no longer have the people to do otherwise.

Although Zestiria is nowhere near as bad as Graces, which ended up being massively recalled due to being pretty much unplayable (they needed 2 years to develop the f remake), they did generate a lot of ill will when they decided to chop out the game’s entire final chapter so they could peddle it as DLC. In other aspects, it’s… well, it’s Tales. Ever since they copied the Ubisoft pattern of releasing one game per year, it’s been a reskin of the same game year after year.

• jrodman says:

If you haven’t played any Tales games since the Playstation 1, is there enough meat in the modern variations to play one of them?

2. mattevansc3 says:

The Japanese dub with English subs on a localised port is enough to make this a day one purchase for me. I only jumped on this series during the GameCube era but damn it if it didn’t make my GC purchase worthwhile.

Even if you aren’t interested in JRPGs and dislike Final Fantasy this is still a series you should check out.

3. merzbau says:

a “pure-hearted adventure” named Sorey

So he’s Canadian, then?

Bluerps says:

Fifteen! I played Tales of Phantasia a very long time ago and I had heard about a few other Tales games, but I didn’t know this series was Final Fantasy sized.

• mattevansc3 says:

I wonder if that fifteen includes spin-offs? Final Fantasy is closer to twenty five games in total.

• Tuhalu says:

The main series has 15 games. There are at least that many spinoffs and probably two or three times as many.

5. king0zymandias says:

Never played the series. One thing that puts me off JRPGs is the requirement of grinding. I wonder how much grinding is required in this one.

• satsui says:

I’ve played a few Tales Of games and there is no grinding needed. With that said, it’s one of the JRPG’s where you could grind and never get bored. The battle systems are typically deep and get deeper throughout the game. For example, in Tales of Graces f, you really don’t touch on the entire battle system when you beat the game. There’s an additional story arc you can play where you finally unlock the full battle system.

6. Aydrian says:

JRPG Developers: Wait…you can blames GAMES on a PC? When did that happen?

7. SlimShanks says:

I am cautiously optimistic about this, as I haven’t played a Tales game for a long time, being a long since reformed console gamer. Tales of Symphonia was pretty rad, if a bit juvenile (and god damn Lloyd is an idiot). Tales of Vesperia was absolutely great. Laura Bailey is in it, the protagonist is excellent (men with long hair, represent!), the dialogue is often great, good voice acting, good characters. Combat is surprisingly fun. Most importantly, the tone and feel of the game is adventurous, and it feels great to take part in the story.
    If you like JRPG’s, try to find an eww console eww to play it on.

• Ejia says:

I bought an Xbox 360 primarily to play Vesperia (okay, and Fable II). I regret nothing.

8. Assirra says:

A tales game coming to PC AND Japanese voice acting included?
    Well my E3 is made already.

9. Corwin71 says:

The “Tales” series has never exactly been about innovation, in story or game mechanics, but it seems like they’re not trying at all now. Even the titles are practically the same…Zestiria here, and the next one is “Besiria.” I’ve played fairly large bits of several of the games, but in hindsight only Tales of Vesperia was very good, and I’ve lost all desire to play the same tired plot with the same two dimensional characters over and over. I hope you all enjoy it.

If I sound bitter, it’s because I find the state of Japanese RPGs deplorable. I used to play and like them quite a bit. By this point, I honestly don’t know if they used to be good and now aren’t, or if I was just crazy for a decade or so.

• bill says:

JRPGs are like anime. When you first discover them it’s this amazing new world which is so totally different from what you’re used to. You find so many treasures that blow you away. And then you start to notice the repetition and the tropes and the shiny-new-exotic effect starts to wear off.

Of course, you could probably say the same for anything, but the effect does seem to be pretty strong for anime/jrpgs.

10. Cantisque says:

Will the port be any good, though? A lot of Namco Bandai ports are locked to 30 FPS.