Best Steam Summer Sale Deals: Day 5

The two great structures float towards each other, hissing streams of unfathomable gas into the air. Seattle's is hot to the touch, coloured green and with the smell of burning ink. The E-Angel's is purple, now pink, then yellow, shifting without warning. Taste and smell change too, each extraordinarily vile and delicious simultaneously, bending your bind. It is a being of pure hype and now it faces off against the greatest money making bio-electric organism ever conceived.

What are the best Steam Summer Sale deals? Each day for the duration of the sale, we’ll be offering our picks – based on price, what we like, and what we think more people should play. Read on for the five best deals from day 5 of the sale.

As we move into the fifth day of the sale I’ve finally managed to close the minigame that was somehow taking all my attention despite playing itself and being quite boring. I really do enjoy watching numbers go up – great for playing games, awful for attention spans. It’s a distraction I can’t afford with all these lovely conferences to watch and get exited about/despair for the future of games. I’m doing one or both of those at EA’s right now.

But you’re not here for musings on clicker games and business, you’re here for (timed, because those are the only sort you should buy until day 11) deals!

5. Bioshock Triple Pack

85% off: $10.48 / £5.99 / €8.24, Store page

Whatever you may think of the first sequel, the second sequel or the original, there’s very likely at least one game in the Bioshock trinity you’ll enjoy. They’re great shooters, great worlds and occasionally great stories. If you’ve got this far spoiler free, you’re in for a helluva ride. Here’s all our thoughts on the franchise.

4. The Long Dark

50% off: $9.99 / £7.49 / €9.99, Store page

One of the prettier survive-the-wilderness ’em ups, it’s set in a frozen wasteland that doesn’t have many traces of humanity left in it. A wonderful art style and regular updates set it apart from its peers. John has taken regular trips to its snowy climbs and we found the footage. Meanwhile Quinns has also been doing video on it, devoting his fourth COGWATCH to the game. Prefer words? Here’s what Duncan Geere had to say.

3. Crusader Kings II

80% off: $7.99 / £5.99 / €7.99, Store page

Grand strategy in both scale and complexity. Paradox’s finest work has a huge following and a massive amount of official expansion and mods. If you need a new time sink, and have a little patience, it will happily consume every moment you have with medieval europe politicking and war-making. Adam thinks it’s the third best strategy of all time and he’s written so much about it we’re worried he’s just a copy of Crusader Kings 2 that’s become sentient and grown small legs.

2. Gang Beasts

33% off: $13.39 / £8.03 / €13.39, Store page

An indie fighting game about jelly babies murdering each other as violently as possible. It’s known to gather crowds around its four player physics ‘n’ traps arenas at gaming events as they cheer for more gooey death. You can also throw your friends off a ferris wheel, a secret dream we all know about but are too afraid to mention to you. Here’s Adam’s thoughts and what horrors Brendy saw at the Wild Rumpus when it was on show.

1. Divinity: Original Sin

33% off: $26.79 / £20.09 / €26.79, Store page

Arguably the most well-received and successful crowdfunded game actually released, the two-character RPG has all the fantasy trappings. It combines full-on RPG character building, conversations and changeable worlds with the ability to play co-op with a friend. We thought it was the best Kickstarter of last year which Adam somewhat predicted in his glowing review. Adam also had a chat with developers Larian about the upcoming Enhanced Edition, which will be a free upgrade for those who already own it.

Comments wise, it was pointed out that at three quid you can do a lot worse than Left 4 Dead 2, if you happen not to own it. It isn’t a timed deal, but you’re cutting pennies at this point. I’d recommend grabbing 3-7 friends and making a few nights of working through it in co-op or versus. You’ll save a couple of bob on the four pack too. While I’m recommending untimed deals, Uplink is 89 pence.

There’s also a big ol’ sale on Civilization 3, 4, 5 and Beyond Earth. I didn’t mention it yesterday because Beyond Earth was a bit disappointing, but the other games in the series are very solid and if you’re a sci-fi empire-building fan, it might be worth looking into anyway. Here’s our review if you’re tempted, and Alec’s interview with the devs of the upcoming expansion.

I thought it would be pretty easy to keep coming up with these but the internet isn’t as funny as I thought. Curse you, internet. Anyway, this:

1. Midnight on the Firing Line says:

I’m still waiting on Sleeping Dogs Definite Edition to drop a bit more, missed Sleeping Dogs the first time around and would love to pick it up for £5 or less. I could also do with Stranded Deep dropping a tiny bit more, although it’s doubtful as it’s an early access title.

• Orix says:

Got SD from GMG recently and have been playing it ever since. Absolutely loving its Godfather/Donnie Brasco take on Hong Kong triad narrative, the world itself ranges from dripping in sumptuous minute detail to run-of-the-mill, but despite similarities, so far it’s hooking more then GTA IV ever did.

• w0bbl3r says:

If you already own sleeping dogs, and the best of the DLC, don’t touch the new version.
      It actually looks worse. Not a joke, not exaggerating, it looks worse.
      The console versions look better, of course they do, but the PC version was already spiffing as it was.
      The new version adds nothing gameplay-wise, and the only physical thing in-game is more people on the streets. Which tends to be a problem when you are trying to chase/run away from people, because there are now too many people on the streets.
      It’s still a great game, but I totally regret buying it after owning the original.
      You can check the comparison video’s all over the net, and clearly see that the original looks a lot better in almost every way on PC

2. Ejia says:

Endless Space is 80% off, and the other Endlessessess are still at 50% off.

3. BongsworthIII says:

Luckily left for dead 2 is currently in the timed deals for yesterday. Possibly just not in the UK. It is currently $4.79nzd or about £2.40.

4. subedii says:

Dishonored needs a mention, especially at £2.49, that is a ridiculous price.

You can also get the game plus DLC (pretty good as well) at £6.79.

Catmacey says:

Quick semi technical question.
      I already own Dishonored (though Steam), but not the DLC. Does anyone have an idea if I can buy the GOTY edition just for the DLC? At €8.49 it’s cheaper than the combined DLC price of €14.46. Steam gives me a warning in the cart that I already own it. I’d like to keep my saves etc?

• XavierIII says:

I had the same thing occur with Syrian over the winter sale, and I kept my saves when I upgraded.

• iambecomex says:

In my experience, when you upgrade to a GOTY version it simply adds the DLC content to your existing game – it’s as though you are buying just the DLC (as Steam tells you, you don’t get an extra copy of the base game). As such, your original game and its saves remain untouched. I will stress that I haven’t done this with Dishonored, but I’ve done similar things with other games (Skyrim, Xcom). Hope that helps.

• Jalan says:

That’s typically how it goes for all games (rarely will Steam ever block you from buying such a package). As long as it isn’t a completely different game in the package (say old State of Decay vs. “new” State of Decay just for example’s sake) then there’s no need to worry about save data/etc. since it will still be there (not factoring for possible bugs, at least).

Catmacey says:

I just bought it and can confirm what you guys said. Steam added the DLC to my existing install. Perfect.
        Thanks for the help.

• Ejia says:

I was thinking of going for it, but then Bethesda trotted out a definitive edition. If that’s really only for consoles, though, then maybe I’ll just take the plunge. Hopefully all the DLC is similarly discounted.

• Jalan says:

There’s no additional DLC being pushed out for that and, from what early reports seem to suggest, it’s mainly focused on updating the graphics for the current gen consoles. It’d be really insulting of Bethesda to try and sell it as a full fledged game again on the PC, given that we aren’t running on 360/etc. hardware. Not that such a thing has ever stopped a company from cramming a redux/”definitive”/etc. edition down the game-playing public’s gullets or anything but still, for a game released back in 2012 to get a graphics upgrade edition on the PC end 3 years later just seems beyond stupid.

5. Horg says:

I went for the first two Shadowrun games for this round. Not going to commit for Hong Kong until I know if I like the formula.

6. SuicideKing says:

Door Kickers for $5 on GoG, Xenonauts for $12.49 on Steam and GoG.

7. fauxC says:

I went for Tales of Maj’Eyal for 99p. Sounds like there’s a lot of game there for pennies. if I get on with it.

8. GunnerMcCaffrey says:

Anyone who hasn’t played Divinity 2 would be well advised to give it a go now, at 80% off – it’s a strange, beautiful, and kinetic Third-Person RPG. Imagine Skyrim as a shooter – less focus on crafting, more focus on explosive arrows and being a dragon. The campaign itself is a bit linear, but the (many, many) quests tend to have multiple solutions.

Rough around the edges at times, but bursting with energy, and full of the unexpected. Worth trying, especially if Original Sin leaves you a bit cold.

9. Scumbag says:

Its worth looking at Dead or Alive 4, as in just look at the page, and then look at the DLC prices.

• Scumbag says:

DoA 5 even.
      I’m old, I don’t know how many of these have been made.

10. Boult Upright says:

I’ve taken a punt on Lisa. Was going to pay $5 for it on the last day, but is flashed at $3 for the next few hours.

11. Jalan says:

Would’ve liked to purchase the BioShock Infinite DLC but apparently no one wants to relent the death grip discount of 50% on it and given its age (no matter how good or worth any price it may be to some) I just don’t want to spend that much on it so the wait will continue for that.

12. Wulfram says:

Not much longer, but might worth mentioning the flash sale on Dragon Age Origins: Ultimate Edition.

£5 for good game + Expansion + DLC. And buying the ultimate edition on sale is the only way to get the DLC at a decent price – it’s the cheapest way to get the DLC even if you’ve got the game + expansion.

13. Raoul Duke says:

Is Gang Beasts actually being developed actively? And why buy it when you can get it for free (legally) from the project page?

14. Aetylus says:

For the best of the true roguelikes around, at a tiny tiny price go for Tales of Maj’Eyal.
    And for a unique serious strategy game pick up Dominions at 75% off.
    They’d both be top of my to-buy list if I hadn’t already bought them long ago :)

• Tekrunner says:

+1 for Tales of Maj’Eyal. It’s a really good roguelike, with very great character building and combat. The replayability is very high as well, there are a ton of classes that play very differently (my favorite is paradox mage, because you don’t often use time travel to fight enemies).

On the other hand, you can get the game free at all times outside of steam, and the its regular steam price is not high anyway. The developer is a nice and extremely dedicated person, someone who’s definitely worth supporting with 6€.

15. bill says:

Antichamber is 90% off at about 1.49p for a few more hours.
    (nb/ you can also get it for about 5.50 with about 7 other classic indie games in the current humble bundle, but i expect most of us already have most of those games. If by some chance you don’t, then it’s a great deal).