Cuphead’s Cartoon Stylings Are Still Beautiful

E3 2014 saw us awfully excited about Cuphead [official site], a run ‘n’ gun platformer styled beautifully like a 1930s cartoon. After seeing a new trailer, you know what, yeah, I’m still really jazzed for it this year.

CUPHEAD

Developers Studio MDHR plan to release Cuphead (CUPHEAD!) next year via Steam. Look, I could write more, but I’ll only end up writing CUPHEAD 140 times and you don’t want that, do you?

CUPHEAD!

1. KDR_11k says:

Later this year? The trailer claims 2016. Or is that only for consoles?

2. Jason Moyer says:

Still looks great. Sill can’t believe someone is making a game with good animation.

3. Mike's Pants says:

I honestly couldn’t tell you how long I’ve been visiting this site. I’ve finally registered to say that this looks absolutely incredible.

• gorgonaut says:

Welcome to RPS! Yes, you’ve been here for a while, but now you can talk to the monsters:)

4. clippa says:

Wow! Looks absolutely gorgeous. It’s like the Betty Boop game I’ve always dreamed of.

• LennyLeonardo says:

Ew.

• clippa says:

Hmmm, if I’m getting judged harshly on that, I’d best keep the other dreams I’ve been having under my hat.

• pepperfez says:

Skullgirls supplies as large a dose of Betty Boop as I think you’ll find in games today. Plus probably whatever it is you’re too embarrassed to admit to.

• clippa says:

Hmmm, anime girls with big tits beating each other up. No ta.
            I understand the “ew” now :D You can like Betty Boop cartoons without being a pervert, you know.

• minkiii says:

Why “ew”?!! Betty Boop cartoons are amazing.
        It is in a Betty cartoon where Cab Calloway cameos as a ghost singing “Minnie the Moocher”. The animation style is incredible. Also this one:

5. Squirrelfanatic says:

This looks great. What a shame I don’t like bullet hell games.

6. Craymen Edge says:

It looks incredible, but the gameplay shown is really not my cup of tea. I just wouldn’t enjoy it, which is a massive shame.

7. Hot Trout says:

I think I’ve been spoilt by a childhood of quality-art-terrible-gameplay games rented from what used to be the blockbuster down town. The nightmares that ensued trying to muscle your way through increasingly ridiculous or broken challenges still haunt me to this day (and which always seemed to hit their peak at level 3 for some reason…)

The screen filling things and shooty blip blaps are giving me the fear, here’s hoping it’s more gunstar heroes than one of the soul-crushing disney tie-ins

8. BurningPet says:

For some reason i see this wonderfully painted game and wish that it was an adventure game a la Machinarium.

9. Mindestens says:

Looks like something I’d be stuck on level 1 forever. But. So. Beautiful!

10. minkiii says:

Looks awesome. I can’t wait to play it. I’ve wished for an entire game like this ever since playing the Steamboat Willie level in Mickey Mania (Snes). The art style is so appealing and satisfying!