Dark Souls 3 Announced, Miyazaki Directing

The leaked information about Dark Souls III [official site] is looking more legit now. The game was officially announced during Microsoft’s E3 press conference today and, while some of the more granular specifics are yet to be announced, one thing has been confirmed. Legendary director Hidetaka Miyazaki is back in the driving seat for this one when it launches in early 2016. I guess that’s actually two things.

While Miyazaki directed Demon’s Souls, Bloodborne, and the original Dark Souls, he had a less hands-on role for the development of Dark Souls 2. Many fans think this resulted in a worse game, so they’ll be happy to hear Dark Souls 3 is back in the hands of the series’ creator.

The trailer shown on Microsoft’s stage is as dark and creepy as you’d expect. No gameplay is shown, but we do get a glimpse of a huge zombie knight rising out of the ground. We’re talking Shadow of the Colossus size, here. Hopefully we’ll get clarification on all those other leaked details as Namco Bandai releases more info. In the meantime, immerse yourself in Dark Souls III’s dark, soulless E3 trailer.

1. klo3 says:

Prayers have been answered.

• dontnormally says:

Some prayers.

I’d love to see a game of this ilk but of any other theme or setting.

2. Jackablade says:

Are you sure about Miyazaki? They only showed the trailer during the press conference and there’s no mention of him in that.

3. Catweasel says:

As long as there’s no soul memory I’ll be able to squeeze fun out of this no matter how many silly elevators into nothing there are. But I really hope they’re going to do better than 2.

4. Jokerme says:

Bloodborne is great and all, but I like Souls games’ fantasy world more. It just feels so good, you know. Well, not exactly the DS2. It felt like a filler than a main game to me. I do need Miyazaki effect. He has some wonderfully screwed up ideas.

5. Synesthesia says:

yes! If miyazaki is really in to this, i’m all over it.

6. Procrastination Giant says:

\[T]/

7. fish99 says:

PC, thank f***.

8. Banks says:

I really hope that they get It right this time.

9. Jediben says:

Yeah, 4th time’s the charm

10. Maxheadroom says:

Much as I liked Bloodborne I miss the slower more methodical pace of the Souls games. Figured we’d have a Bloodborne 2 before we got a Dark Souls 3 so this is nice :)

11. skitunge says:

I’m convinced Miyazaki was not that involved in this game. I think they just plastered his name there to get people excited.

Why do I think this? The CG trailer tells the tale. In the trailer, we see a Giant King with a hole for a face. This is a DIRECT connection to Dark Souls 2, a game Miyazaki had nothing to do with, which shows.
    Miyazaki is a genius, a visionary. Demon’s, Dark and Bloodborne all have a distinct Miyazaki touch, something Dark Souls 2 lacks.

The point is, if Miyazaki was directing this game, he would never borrow from a lesser entry like DS2. He would never borrow from the “lesser vision” of his subordinates. Because,as I said, he is a visionary, one of the greats. It makes no sense for him to stoop to such low levels. It’s beneath him, if you will.

The giant in the trailer gives it away. Miyazaki is not directing. And the reason is simple: Miyazaki doesn’t need help from the lesser minds.

…The mere notion of Miyazaki actually using anything from the clusterfuck of the lore that is DS2…
    Preposterous.

• AlManiak says:

I didn’t think one could ever sound elitist when talking about a souls game, I was wrong.

• Machocruz says:

Miyazaki is a superior game design entity. Deal with it!

• Anguy says:

I would have been delighted to see Tanimura, the director of the excellent DS2 DLCs and responsible for SOTFS also, have a shot at it. He did some great stuff there and as far as I know probably saved us from a really bad DS2 directed by Shibuya.

Myazaki sure is the father of DaS and DeS but Tanimura did his job really well and I have nothing but praise for him. Hope he is involved in some way at least

• Machocruz says:

I have yet to really play DkS2, actually. I played up until the first boss. Should I play the original release first to understand the improvements between it and Scholar, or go right into Scholar?

• Anguy says:

Hard to say, honestly. I played DS2 a couple months after release and then half a year later SOTFS so I did have that comparison effect and as a consequence really liked SOTFS. I can’t say though if this is mandatory to really enjoy the SOTFS improvements. If you already own vanilla DS2, I’d say give it a try at least until a couple of hours in. The most obvious changes are in the beginning anyway.
            Should you have yet to buy any of the two versions, I’d suggest starting directly with SOTFS. You won’t have those “Cool, they changed this thing” moments then but it’s definitely the superior edition and does many things right the base game did wrong, like illogical placement of certain enemies or the far to easy access to the DLC areas, which is now integrated more seamlessly into the world (with a certain logic behind it).

• Tim James says:

Where have you been the last five years?

• sub-program 32 says:

Good directors tactfully ignore ‘lesser’ content to create a better whole. Great directors take this this content, and reforge it, far better than before, uniting both continuity and quality. And Miyazaki is a great director.

• fish99 says:

I’ve just realized you’re not kidding.

• manny says:

Your probably right Miyazaki wasn’t involved with the trailer, probably had one of his apprentices do it. But it says he directed the game, then that’s what he did, his name is copyrighted and he’s creatively independent. And misusing his name in Japan would probably get you incarcerated. The trailer may be misleading in this regard, but it’s aimed at the Darksouls 2 fans for continuity.

12. Tim James says:

I hope the B-team shows Miyazaki how to implement good PvP. Maybe they can sneak in some extra upgrade materials while he’s not looking. And just straight-up kidnap him if he mentions chalice dungeons.

• Anguy says:

Haven’t played Bloodborne because I don’t have a PS4 but I heard PVP is not all that good over there. I’m not much of a PVP guy myself, but I enjoy having to deal with the occasional invasion and quite like watching other people have a go with certain builds etc. which also is lacking in BB because of the limited equipment and stats.

I dearly hope they don’t streamline the multiplayer component too much like I feel it is with Bloodborne.

13. Uninteresting Curse File Implement says:

If “worse game” is code for “better balance, polished rough edges, vastly improved multiplayer”, then the series’ creator may stay away from the series as far as I’m concerned! ))

14. racccoon says:

Letterbox inside of letterbox
    when are they going to understand we already have wide screen tv’s thats why we bought them to see the fucking thing in wide screen without the LETTERBOX!!!
    but yep

we get the friggin LETTERBOX”S INSIDE LETTERBOX”S !!! BLOODY Bullshit!!