DOOM Has A New Trailer, Screenshots, Footage, Gibbage, Double-Jump, Snapmap, Brownness

Bethesda’s E3splosion not only saw Fallout 4 getting a 2015 release date, Dishonored 2 announced, and something something Elder Scrolls Online something, but a pile of new goodies for DOOM. There’s a new trailer below, along with a puddle of new screenshots, and – OMG – double-jumping. Oh, and SO much gore.

First of all, gibs.

So this is odd. The first half of the trailer is obviously nonsense – slo-mo meat eruptions from angles you won’t see in the game. But the second half, once it’s game footage – something looks wrong, right? It’s too – clean? Obviously it’s controller-movement, which always makes FPS games look like they’re on rails, but it all looked so oddly crisp, so shiny, as if everything in the game were laminated. The roughness, the texture, the dirtiness of DOOM, all seems absent. Strange.

However, the footage shown in their press conference looked a lot better. Jump to 30 minutes in this, and you’ll see the game being played properly, messily, and double-jumpedly. There’s a bit more at 43 minutes, set in Hell. (Ignore the whooping horror of the ghastly in the crowd.) Is that it’s at a poor upload quality actually helping the look of the game? Also, jump to 39.30 to see some multiplayer footage.

Tearing your arm off and beating you with the soggy end is certainly the right way to kill a character.

Meanwhile, Snapmap is the freshly announced means by which Bethesda wants players to be able to create their own levels, maps and game modes and then share them with others. It looks pretty flipping snazzy. Head to 41 minutes in the video above to see it in action. We’ll have more details on that in a bit.

Here are the new screenshots. Click on them to make them bigger.

1. wcq says:

I’ll be cautiously optimistic.

However, the gameplay I’ve seen seems to heavily feature short, canned animations during which control is taken away from the player. Especially in melee combat. This… doesn’t seem ideal to me.

• Henke says:

I like quickkills. Nice little grissly reward for managing to get close enough to an enemy to finish it off, and even though it removes control for a second I feel it fits well with the flow of combat. EXCEPT in the case of the chainsaw. Those animations are a tad too long, and considering that they’ll be playing out _every single time_ you use the chainsaw on an enemy I feel they’ll get old fast. I’d rather have the chainsaw be more freeform. If they could make it behave more like the katana from Shadow Warrior, that’d be ideal.

• Kollega says:

What I thought would be cool is if you could still look around and fire your shotgun as you roflstomp demons into paste. It would allow the players to defend themselves during the melee animation, and at the same time would look incredibly badass.

• SpaceDetective says:

Yeah, they actually managed to play the same animation twice in a row, so that’s definitely not-so-reassuring.
        link to share.gifyoutube.com
        If you watch that section of the video you can actually hear the crowd go dead silent the second time it plays.

• Horg says:

That says a lot considering, not one hour earlier, the crowd were cheering and hollering over a nuka cloa bottle in a fridge : |

• Tripkebab says:

Watching the video it did seem like you had a level of control during the chainsaw animation. For example you could go half way down and then whip the mouse to make a sideway cut.

• Hot Trout says:

I agree, one of the first mods I’ll be looking forward to is the one that brings back classic melee (which will also have to solve the resourcing in the game as it looks like the canned kills are tied to getting more pick-ups)

2. tobecooper says:

Let’s talk shotguns again.

What do you guys think?
    To me, these guns don’t feel good enough. Probably not enough recoil?

• SirBryghtside says:

I agree – I don’t think it’s quite as bad as Doom 3 made them, but it definitely looked a bit weak. It might be different when you actually play the game for yourself, but I don’t know – something about the sound effect, maybe?

My other qualms about this game mostly involve the lack of a colour palette (the bright red colour of Cacodemons is iconic, why do they insist on making them brown?) and the abundance of ‘finisher animations’ (every swing of the chainsaw seems to lock you into one), but otherwise it looks like a decent, fun game. Nothing special, but I feel like Doom’s okay with being just that.

• XhomeB says:

i don’t like the basic shotgun. It’s not the looks, the visual design would be fine, it’s the lack of animation, the lack of precision (look at the big crosshair) and the sound.
      It doesn’t have that satisfying “ooomph” sound.
      There’s no animation whatsoever. Remember the original Doom shottie? That fast, awesome ‘click-clack’ animation after each shot?
      It seems to be best suited for ultra close range combat only, losing its power and accuracy rapidly even at medium range. That’s very disappointing, that’s not how even real shotguns work, let alone the basic shotgun in Doom 1 and 2.

• Kaeoschassis says:

Agreed, although I’m a little less disappointed with it than the rest seem to be. It’s a fairly satisfying shotty, but it needs that distinct, satisfying ‘action’ between shots to really live up to its (admittedly hard to beat) legacy.

• haradaya says:

It seems to have way too much spread up close, just like Doom 3’s. I don’t want them to be realistic, but I never liked how I had to get as close as I could to an enemy to ensure all pellets hit him at once. Feels like a waste of shots when even at short range you’ll see one or two pellets miss on a dead-center aim.

• Synesthesia says:

I think the shotgun itself is meaty enough, but looking at the footage, I think the problem is in the enemy animation. The enemies hardly move when being hit by it, they don’t react to the spray of buckshot being thrust into them.

Brutal doom does this wonderfully. The double shotgun kicks you back, and anything hit by buckshot is either gibbed or pushed somewhere.

Still looks very good though. That bfg shot! oooh! shiny!

3. Jokerme says:

This feels right. This feels so right.

4. Muppetizer says:

I like the enemy designs for the most part, pretty consistent with their own aesthetic but with that tinge of nostalgic familiarity.

I really hope there are some more environments without such low ceilings, when I think Doom maps most of my favourites are the wider areas with awesome sky boxes, or labyrinths with heaps of viewing angles looking back on where you’ve been or where you need to go. A lot of these look a tad cramped and corridor focused, without the breathing space Doom has traditionally given between those areas. The area design at the 43 minute mark looks pretty promising though.

5. WarderDragon says:

I’ll reserve my judgement until I see gameplay with mouse & keyboard. Gamepad gameplay never really paints any game in a good light.

• Barberetti says:

It’s hilarious to watch though.

But yeah, after Rage’s hardest setting being a fucking joke with m+kb (virtually the whole game needing just pistol & fatboy bullets id, really?), I’ll be waiting until a playable demo (lol) or a friend buying it first and checking it out before I go anywhere near it.

• Urthman says:

It’s so ironic. I remember Romero and other iD employees crowing about how everybody needed to get with the program and switch from keyboard controls to using a mouse or get pwned. And now they’re designing and demonstrating their games with these slow tank controls they would have mercilessly mocked as hopelessly behind the times 22(!) years ago.

6. Spacewalk says:

That refinery map looks great (I wonder if anyone will attempt to recreate it for GZDoom). The SSG reloading animation is great! These monsters look like a bunch of fun to fight. Yay to no health regen and clambering about the place but I’m on the fence with the double jumping. The violence level is just what I’d expect. Snapmap sounds fantastic but who knows how many prefabs it’ll ship with and how much they’re going to charge for more (clearly an assumption but, c’mon).

I don’t like those long and overdone weapon pickup animations. If anyone makes a map that has guns positioned near enemies it’s really going to suck getting torn to pieces whilst you’re distracted by the doo-dads on your futuristic rifle. Maybe it’ll be a toggle.

• Manburger says:

Oh yeahs, this does look quite radical, and what I’d want from a new Doom game! Gimmie those gibs~ :D
      Regarding long pick-up animations: I’m pretty certain that is just a scripted event
      in the story campaign when you find a weapon for the first time. Highly doubt that
      would be a issue in a custom map.

• Kaeoschassis says:

I like the pickup animations a lot, like a LOT, but… yeah, they really need to be toggleable. Or perhaps to only happen on the official maps. I like them because they make the guns the stars. It’s like they’re characters in their own right with their own little introductions, and that’s neat. But that kind of thing doesn’t work in user maps, where you’ve already done all that and you just want to kill things quickly.

7. EhexT says:

So this is Brutal Doom. I wonder if Bethesda will give credit to that mod or pretend they came up with it themselves.

And the gibs, blood and dismemberment looks worse than Killing Floor 2s. KF2 set the bar incredibly high and Doom 4 is content to shuffle underneath it.

• Spacewalk says:

It looks more like a more violent version of the melee attacks from Serious Sam 3 than Brutal Doom. I think that’s just the right amount of gore to have.

• Kaeoschassis says:

As somebody who loathes Brutal Doom I’m (cautiously) excited for this. That’s all I’ll say.

• horrorgasm says:

Things I learned today: There are Doom hipsters.

8. thelastpointer says:

This is really cool! Also, I guess it’ll be even better when played with a keyboard+mouse.

And finally, we have figured out the correct amount of specular lighting. Yay!

9. Hedgeclipper says:

I can’t say I’m whelmed, some of the scenery looked good but the gore mostly looked odd. And the gameplay well they did give a little talk about wanting to go classic but its 2015 not 1993 – while I’m not a fan of where big budget shooters went I didn’t see anything in the videos that made me want to grab it on release.

10. tonicer says:

Again gamepad gameplay demos make me sick. Well if it’s just a consoleport we get, i don’t want it.

11. tumbleworld says:

The appeal of Doom for me was always that it was fast-paced, fluid mayhem set to a pounding soundtrack.

NuDoom appears to be tense, atmospheric, staccato gameplay with bits of platforming, with some ambient drone in the background. We already have Dead Space, though.

Whoever made the gameplay trailer appears to have gotten it. If I’d seen just that, I’d probably have been excited. As it is, watching the E3 footage, my interest has been killed stone dead.

• JamesTheNumberless says:

Well put, a Doom game needs Doom style gameplay – something that nobody has really managed to do since FPS games went full 3D. One of the beauties of Doom was that you didn’t have to aim in 3 dimensions – and even when you did have to aim, the hitboxes were pretty liberal. I don’t think you can get the same sort of over the top mad gameplay if you insist on a the kind of engine that serves military shooters. Running around shooting stuff in Doom needs to feel more like playing Hotline Miami (but being able to take a few hits) than like playing counterstrike.

• JamesTheNumberless says:

Having seen it again, what bothers me most about this trailer is that there are too few monsters, and they all take too many hits.

• Hillbert says:

The closest thing to me was playing as the Gunzerker on Borderlands 2.

The only cover was that given by the lead wind blowing from your weapons.

• EhexT says:

I’d say Shadow Warrior did a pretty good job replicating Doom gameplay in a modern 3D engine. It’s fast, dodge-heavy in a variety of environments (from big arenas to corridors). It has even got hunting keycards/items to unlock the next part of the level.

• derbefrier says:

This.

The shadow warrior reboot was great. It did fast paced old school FPS pretty well. Its one of my favorite recent shooters for sure( cant wait for the sequel). The rise of the Tiad remake did a pretty good job too though it was plagued with bugs and such.

• fish99 says:

The Serious Sam series does the old-school shooter thing pretty well.

• Distec says:

It’s in the same spirit, but still different. Serious Sam (at least the first game) focused more on large areas and massive waves of enemies, which gave it a more arena-like progression compared to Doom’s mazes.

• EhexT says:

Yeah Serious Sam is more about leading around massive waves of enemies in large arenas without getting cornered – flow management. Doom is about managing smallish amounts of enemies in usually tight and fairly complex environments, with lots of Z-axis. Infighting and exploitation of corners are two of the key features of any hard doom fight, and neither of them exist in Serious Sam.

Don Reba says:

By the way they come apart, it feels like the enemies are made of frozen minced meat.

13. Jalan says:

To combat outcry regarding overuse of browns, we get gold and red. Ugh.

I want to believe this will be worth putting money on. I want to believe that Doom can be fun again (without going back to the hole and modding the snot out of the original/Doom II/etc). I… want… to… believe, dammit!

14. XhomeB says:

I’m not feeling it, I’m afraid. Brutal Doom copied to the letter and… that’s it?
    The level design looks like your typical “follow the scripted path from point A to point B, from one arena to the next” drivel, instead of the sprawling maze-y levels with mulitple paths from Doom. Come on.
    The shotgun is lame. Weak sound, no animation.
    The enemies all look alike. I can’t bloody tell them apart.
    The gameplay is sloooooooow. Or maybe that’s due to the fact they played it on a gamepad.
    Any puzzles to speak of? Something to spice things up? Or is it a pure Serious Sam arena type gameplay, which is not what Doom played like?

• cunningmunki says:

Yeah, I agree, looks too slow. Needs to be twice the baddies and twice the speed.

15. cunningmunki says:

Looks good but disappointed again with the design of Pinky. At least the others look a bit like the originals.

• The_invalid says:

Pinky was in there? I didn’t even see!

• Kaeoschassis says:

I assume they’re talking about the thing that I THOUGHT was the Hell Knight, but hard to be sure…

• XhomeB says:

See, this is the problem I have with the visual design of enemies. Their silhouettes and the colour palette used are so similar I don’t even recall seeing Pinky in that video!
      That’s a big problem. The enemies in Doom were so distinct, a single glimpse of a Revenant, Arch-vile, Pinky, Imp, Cacodemon, Lost Soul, Zombieman… and you knew what you were dealing with. Here, every single monster looks so similar, even the returning, classic ones seem to blend with the rest.

16. derbefrier says:

I think it looks pretty good.

The level design looked good. The level seemed pretty big with all sorts of little nooks and cranies to explore, lots of verticality. Gunplay looked decent but its hard to telll from a video how shooting will feel.

Also no regenerating health, the ability to hold more than 2 guns.

Needs more monsters, which could already be the case for all we know. Doom didnt throw a bajillion monsters at you right off the bat and that might just be the case here. This could be an earlier level, or a lower dificulty for demonstration purposes. If not then mods can fix this easily.

I think it looks promising. We should all know we are never getting that reskinned Doom 2 by now but this looks like it could tie in the old school with new in a good way.

• XhomeB says:

Watching the interview now. They even mention the “combat arenas”, divided by “exploration” spaces. I honestly hope the level structure won’t be that rigid, because that’s bound to become monotonous and predictable very fast.
      Crossing fingers those exploration sections won’t come down to walking down a single corridor, but will feature proper branching paths and secrets along the way. But I’m not holding my breath, remember Rage and how atrocious the level design in that game was?

• derbefrier says:

well if you think about it the originals were kind of like that in a way. You would shoot a few demons here and there, then open a door and get ambushed by a shitload of demons. then hit the switch, or grab a key, back track kill a few demons here and there go to the next big room and get ambushed again. Not every instant of Doom was fighting hordes of monsters. Doom isnt Serious Sam There was a nice mix of smaller fights and larger fights.

17. The_invalid says:

It looks like it might be a fun way to spend a few evenings. But dear christ, I hope they take the next few months of development to vary the colour palette a bit. That amount of brown/red is going to get fatiguing and boring to look at real damn quick.

18. bit.bat says:

The only negative that comes to mind is that the environment shown feels a bit like a movie set rather than a place that the player occupies. I’m not sure how to explain it, it feels like there is no interplay between the player and the environment. I think this is a problem that Rage has also, perhaps it is a drawback of producing such high fidelity levels that they feel a bit… static maybe is the right word? Other than that it looks like fun.

• XhomeB says:

Yes, what they’ve shown feels like a LEVEL, not a hell-infested PLACE where people used to work at. The overwhelming sense of linearity doesn’t help and once you get to those more open spaces, they feel like… well, arenas, not an organic part of a level.

• The_invalid says:

I honestly feel like that with a lot of new games. I think it has a lot to do with the fact that with most AAA games, you’re mostly assembling a level from a series of static meshes, rather than directly editing BSP like the old Quake/Unreal days. That kind of direct relationship between the player and the space he/she inhabits has been lost a little bit (in my entirely unprofessional, non-technical opinion). Also, overuse of baked-in lightmaps tends to limit the atmosphere somewhat.
      That said, what I saw of Doom 4 felt better than a lot of games I’ve seen recently. The moving carts and detail in the refinery level were pretty cool, and nothing felt overly detailed or superfluous.

19. clippa says:

Gah! Another example of consoles killing my hobby. Shouldn’t this be twice the speed? Shouldn’t the munsters be aggressively attacking and getting behind you, rather than just shuffling and shimmying about, waiting for you to knack them?
    We’ll get that “pause the action” weapon select wheel and terrible fov as well likely.
    Just looks like a dull shooting gallery made for cack-handed sofa lumps without adrenal glands.
    It’s sad to see the way first person shooters and AAA gaming in general has gone.
    Give us something to get our blood pumping!

• Synesthesia says:

Hm, you might be onto something here. I was pumped by the trailer, and the first seconds of the action looked fine, but yes, the enemies are not aggressive at all.

Dying was a real risk during most dooms, here the dude can just leave items behind without a worry in the world, and enemies hardly ever hit him. What a shame. Oh well, at least we will always have brutal doom.

• Synesthesia says:

Just watched the rest of that. A single imp kill netted the player six fucking rockets. Those were the entirety of a secret room sometimes. Come on.

• derbefrier says:

The enimies are probably purposely easy for the sake of demonstration and most likely the gun placements too.

I do not have any love for the slow down when changing weapons though. thats kinda lame.

20. Kefren says:

I’m confused. Double-jump? He jumps into open space, then jumps again – but what is he jumping off? Bizarre.

I love Doom ( link to karldrinkwater.blogspot.com ) but this just feels a bit weird. Creatures exploding into blood that quickly fades, rather than the piles of bullet-soaked bodies marking your passage in the original Doom. Creatures glowing blue regularly, a shield-effect used in many games but presumably to indicate vulnerability to melee attacks (would the helmet’s HUD really do that?) The melee doesn’t fell much like Doom at all, where it only really happens with any power when you’re off your face on berzerk drugs. It often felt like I was watching a generic mod for Doom 3, with its scripting of enemy placement and “things seen through windows to foreshadow a later encounter”. I want a Doom game where it really feels like you are there, and things are unpredictable and genuinely affected by your choices, actions and performance in terms of the results. This feels like a Doom game.

21. montorsi says:

Looks ok. As usual, the gameplay will make or break it. I could not care less how brown it is if the game is fun to play. It also looked like a fairly timid playthrough so that we could see the details of each level and demon.

22. Sic says:

It looks rather OK.

I was waiting for the music to speed up and become what it’s supposed to be though. Too slow as is.

23. Horg says:

FoV from this footage and other footage currently available on youtube looks very low, probably not much higher than 60. I’ll need to know for certain that you can get a sensible FoV for the PC version before showing anymore interest.

24. iambecomex says:

Am I the only one thinking it looks like Prey without the interesting stuff? In ID Brown(tm).

25. buxcador says:

The enemies look like nothing else but standing sponge bullets.

They should had spent the resources wasted on those animations, on better AI. AI which demands tactics and planning.

Being capable of outsmarting the enemies is far more satisfactory than shooting the enemies until they accumulate enough bullets.

The player looks overpowered, as is any enemies were just standing dummies waiting to be disassembled with childish animations.

26. derbefrier says:

some gameplay from Hell. This looks a lot better, more fast paced, and more monsters.

27. Distec says:

Well… I know what game I’m going to enjoy when it comes out!

How do you all feel? Psyched, I bet.

syllopsium says:

I was never the biggest DOOM fan, but I enjoyed the first one. This has too much lightning, it’s too slow and with insufficient grunge. Also, what’s with the stupid monster spawning out of nowhere? The hell area is sort of getting there but I can’t say I’m impressed. I did like the holographic replay feature to find the corpse’s hand, but to be honest that’s probably best used in a more puzzle oriented FPS than DOOM..

It looks more like Quake than DOOM, frankly.

29. horrorgasm says:

“Why, this isn’t the exact same game as the Doom I played when I was in grade school at all! Outrageous! Rabble rabble rabble!”

• EhexT says:

“This burger has pieces of glass in it, but just because a burger I had before was better doesn’t I mean I can criticize this one.”

Try again, buddy.