Fallout 4 Release Date Announced

Nuclear winter is coming. I don’t know if that wordplay worked given the Boston setting for Fallout 4 [official site] seems pretty balmy but you’ll have to make your peace with it because it’s the best this jetlag will produce. As for *when* it’s coming, the answer is 10 November, 2015.

Fallout 4 was the big finale game at the Bethesda E3 conference, with Todd Howard revealing that the studio had been working on it properly for the past 4 years, although design started in 2009, pretty much as soon as Fallout 3 was done. At the event the company showed off a lot of artwork from the game as well as sharing more detail on some of the game’s mechanics, systems and setting.

The game begins pre-nukes. There’s a character creation section which involves you and your partner staring into the mirror (switching between them is the gender selection option) and giving you a bunch of features to play with. As someone who is notoriously bad at character creation I’m hoping that the way you drag the features with the cursor to resculpt them might make for fewer “OH GOD I WAS IN A HORRIFIC ACCIDENT” protagonists which I then have to explain to people watching me stream. Information given to a door-to-door Vault-Tec sales representative is how you set up your character’s traits and so on.

Obviously, as well experiencing this domestic, ice-cold Nuka Cola drenched bliss, you also play in the post-apocalyptic version of the world which begins as you emerge from Vault 111 two hundred years in the future. But it’s okay. Codsworth, your pre-nuke robo butler, is still sort of there AND you get a dog to whom you can issue context-sensitive demands.

[The Fallout 4 stuff is from about 1:05:00 in the video above]

Here’s a fact about Codsworth – apparently Bethesda has recorded voice lines for 1,000 of the most popular names so you can hear your chosen character name as you play. Obviously this only works if you name your characters things like John and not “You Jerk” or “Bananas Coleslaw” or “Nebuchadnezzar”. Or “Philippa”, I suspect.

ANYWAY. At this point you’re given the freedom to start exploring and doing Fallouty things. Play is first person and third person and the VATS system is back along with familiar inhabitants of the landscape like Molerats, Radscorpions and Deathclaws.

The aspect Bethesda seemed most keen to discuss at the event was the crafting system. The junk you collect as you roam will be useful for that system, yielding crucial materials – handcuffs or a globe converting to screws, for example. With these you’ll be able to build and customise your things. On the weapons front there are 50 base weapons and 700 weapon mods (the bladed aluminium baseball bat caught my eye from that section of the conference). That customisability also applies to your power armour.

Then there are the settlements. Other items you craft are used to build up and furnish your own home and surrounding area. Some of that will be prettying up your house but there are also food crops and water pumps to offer sustenance, generators which you can wire up to other items to power them, terminals to govern the activity of other units and defence options like sentry turrets for protecting your settlement from raiders. You can set up bases in various locations and also set up caravans to travel between them.

These building elements were billed by Howard as being optional, by the way, although from what was said I think building up your base attracts NPCs who sell some of the best items in the game so it’s probably better to try your hand at doing so.

Oh, and the Pip-Boy is back, because obviously it is. There are some in-game developments such as the ability for it to play games you might come across – I was rather ticked by a Donkey Kong-style game called Red Menace – but it’ll also feed into the Collector’s Edition. Y’see that will come with a model Pip-Boy into which you can insert your smartphone and use the specially created app as if it were a real Pip-Boy.

But yes, Fallout 4. 10 November.

1. drewski says:

The thing I love most about Bethesda games is their bustling metropolises with 2 people in them.

• Eight Rooks says:

Yeah, I’m sure it’ll be fun, but… it just looks not unlike a heavily-modded Fallout 3, and I never finished that or New Vegas. I don’t doubt it’ll have its fans (rather a lot of them!), and who knows, maybe I’ll get it at some point, but I can’t get that worked up over this. I’m far more interested in Dishonored 2, or even – at a push – Doom 4.

• BwenGun says:

This I suspect is going to cause them issues when it comes to reviewer and player reactions because one large thing has changed this year that hadn’t ever really happened before. The Witcher 3. Specifically an open world RPG which feels vast and features settlements that are, for the most part, the right size for the setting and more importantly feel alive and interesting. Novigrad (despite not being anywhere near as large as a real world city) feels large and bustling, the Bloody Baron’s keep feels about the right size for a village grown up around a small rural castle. In terms of immersion and scale I suspect the WItcher 3 has firmly and decisively shifted the goal posts right out from under Bethsedas feet.

• XhomeB says:

Dude… it’s Bethesda. Like Blizzard and Bioware, they get away with everything. Complete rubbish like Oblivion got 10/10 and GOTY awards everywhere, and reviewers were quick to ignore glaring flaws in F3 or Skyrim despite criticising much better games to death for less.
        It’s always the same excuse – the world is big, pretty and there’s landmass aplenty to explore. Who cares if the plot is crap, the quest design abysmal, the mechanics insultingly broken, the world itself lifeless, or that whatever you decide to do in this world does not matter in the slightlest, meaning: that “freedom” Bethesda worlds grant you revolve around walking around from point A to point B on the map, and NOTHING else. Create yourself a big map in UE4 and you’ll get a similar experience.

• dangermouse76 says:

I’ve played F3, FNV, and the last 3 Elder Scrolls. And I’m not here to have a pissing match on who can be the most ardent in their opinion, but I didn’t have the experience you describe. I really enjoyed them flaws and all.
          Hey opinions though……like arseholes yeah ?

• fish99 says:

I’m sure millions of people just imagined enjoying them.

• Solidstate89 says:

I too hate other people having fun in games.

• Danarchist says:

It’s the internetz, equal parts people making statement seeking validation, and people calling them out for it. Walk into any starbucks and look for the guy with the pub cap and apple computer, he is the real world version of that:
            “Oh, I see you have a smart phone. Smart phones suck, but drones will be drones”

I, for example, have hated the Call of Duty games. But I would never bust someone’s balls for loving it. I am glad they do. Each video game that sells, awesomesauce or absolute crap, adds more weight and value to the industry that makes the things I love.

• Vin_Howard says:

I felt like FO3 was just a mediocre Skyrim; all the flaws of Skyrim with non of the pros. And I suspect FO4 will be the same. Ow well, here’s to hoping Obsidian makes a new Fallout game soon that will actually be good.

2. Hedgeclipper says:

Are they going to release a list of acceptable names?

• Janichsan says:

“F*ckwad” is probably not among these.

• Beanbee says:

Don’t ruin the dream. I hope they’ve recorded every insult ever used by an Archer cast member.

Can anyone say, copyright infringing mod time?

• Nibblet says:

Yea, those asterisks are notoriously hard to pronounce.

• FurryLippedSquid says:

That’s tiny ancient Gauls for you.

• Devan says:

Believe it or not, Asterix is not an asterisk and Obelix is not an obelisk. However, I would be very happy if those were some of the names the robot can speak.

• Sakkura says:

They should just pronounce that as Lord Farquaad. Too bad copyright would prevent that.

• OmNomNom says:

Zaphod Beeblebrox

3. Raoul Duke says:

Could someone in the gaming media (nudge nudge) please ask Bethesda about the microstutter problem and whether it will be decisively fixed in FO4?

The terrible textures and low-poly models on display so far strongly suggest that this is yet another game on the same creaking, retrofitted engine they’ve been using since Oblivion.

• tobecooper says:

I thought their magnificent Engine has been used since Morrowind?

• Raoul Duke says:

You may be right. It’s a shame they didn’t move to the new Unreal Engine or similar.

• tobecooper says:

I think Unreal wouldn’t be able to handle their open worlds either.
          They really need a custom-made engine.

• Cinek says:

Yea… UE4, totally a nightmare for creating open world games. FYI: It absolutely does not need a custom engine. And I think you confused UE4 with Unity – that one is a pain in the ass if you want to create anything open world, but even with Unity it’s still doable.

Jiskra says:

or just Witcher 3 engine … i think they did pretty good work on open worlds there …

• Solidstate89 says:

Great examples Cinek, an artificial benchmark/cinematic and an insanely poorly optimized game are two great examples about UE4’s open world possibilities.

• TacticalNuclearPenguin says:

@Solidstate89

It’s not like all those people trying to drag Unreal down ( even the new one ) with this old line are really showing some decent proof, especially since we’re talking of the latest iteration which, while admittedly untested, is proving to be extremely powerful and artist friendly. The whole point of UE4 is to allow non-coders and artist to work properly with less help and constant back and forth needed, graphics are just a secondary but extremely welcome side effect.

I mean, i still remember people being surprised that there are some games made in UE that are colorful instead of all brown, and that’s quite telling. I think people are quite confused as to what is an engine related problem and what isn’t.

• Sakkura says:

In any case, Unreal Engine 4 was released in 2012. They started production work on Fallout 4 in 2011, so UE4 wasn’t even an option.

• Solidstate89 says:

The fact of the matter is, that none of us really know how well an engine like UE4 would do in an open world game as vast as what Bethesda makes. I’m reminded of how CIG has basically had to practically re-write the entire CryEngine from top to bottom to get it to work with their open space/world idea of Star Citizen. UE4 is a different beast, but who knows how similar or different the coding experience might be to get it to work with such a large world. We simply don’t know one way or another, other than the fact that UE3 is certainly not conducive to it.

Historically, these large open world games like GTA, Elder Scrolls, Witcher 3, Just Cause 2 – they’ve all been in-house game engines due to the irregular requirements that most games just don’t require, so the most popular game engines don’t put priority into making the game engines work seamlessly across several hundred square miles.

• TacticalNuclearPenguin says:

That’s a pretty solid answer, although i think i’d still prefer anything over what Bethesda is currently using!

• Vin_Howard says:

UE4 can run ope-worlds well! *Proceeds to give an example of EU4 running an open-world game horribly bad*

• Unclepauly says:

yup its the same engine just upgraded.

4. mikmanner says:

Nuclear war, it’s a mother fucker.

5. Wowbagger says:

The game looks pretty good – I hate the cringe worthy Corporateness of E3 presentations though. Is this what we’ve come to? I’d rather we went back in to obscurity and little cupboards with programmers in them.

6. Janichsan says:

As someone who has tried in vain to get into most of Bethesda’s RPGs (including Morrowind, Oblivion, Skyrim, and Fallout 3), I doubt this will really be interesting to me. They surely manage to cram a lot of stuff in their games, which gives them a certain appeal to explorers, but they never were able to create a really believable world: too many inconsistencies, too many stiff NPCs with mostly horribly voice-acting and bad writing, too much repetition…

• Vin_Howard says:

Well an Obsidian-made Fallout might hopefully be announced soonish (in the same way Obsidian’s FO:NV was released 2 years after Fallout 3 was released); and Obsidian did an amazing job at creating a believable and vibrant world in FO:NV, so there is that to look forward to

• zeruel241 says:

In watching the E3 coverage, I found it expected yet sad that Todd Howard once again crammed a bunch of odd things into his work, while apparently forgetting he was supposed to be making a role playing game.

Don Reba says:

What joy it will be for all the people whose names they mispronounced.

8. zproc says:

I was curious to see/learn more of Fallout 4, but this was all very boring to me. Crafting system and 700 mods for the Weapons OK, but i don’t know, i just get a feeling of “more of the same” to me. Maybe i’m just tired of the generic-ness of the post-apocalyptic setting.

(And i don’t think it looks bad at all, it’s really not “low poly.”, not at all. I don’t want more Unreal Engine, always more polys or hyper-realism. But anyway…)

Anway, i still need to get back to Fallout NV and play more of it. (One day… one day…)

9. Arehandoro says:

I don’t know whether people have become too demanding or my expectations are fulfilled pretty easily. Fallout 4 looks pretty good. It will have its narrative flaws, inconsistency and bugs, as many other titles. That won’t make it less fun to play, though.

• check engine says:

I was pretty meh on it as well. I loved the originals and have always had a soft spot for Fallout Tactics, which pretty much always got me flamed as a Heretic by most Fallout fans. I was planning on getting 4 because I do enjoy Bethesda’s games, bugs and all -plus you can pretty much expect modding support to happen.

Seriously though, Settlement building? I’ve been wanting this since Fallout 3 (usually shouted down when I mention it on a forum as being “not Fallout”). Hot damn, this is what I’ve always deep down really wanted from a Fallout game. Screw the storyline, I just want to carve out my own little piece of territory and rule it with a rusted, post apocalyptic, iron fist.

10. Ejia says:

The animations are dreadful. The graphics are okay. The crafting is nice. The colors are great.

I have no idea what to make of the shooty bits since you’ll have to actually be playing the thing to get a feel for them. I think it makes sense for VATS to slow things down rather than stop them outright, though.

• ribby says:

I like the new VATS

Hate E3 conferences though

• horus_lupercal says:

Agred on the latter, the constant laughter from the audience in response to every ‘joke’ grated. Then again I’m a miserable sod who resents the happiness of others so that could ahve something to do with my reaction!

• Stevostin says:

Lol, I was seing the guy walking and thinking “now THAT’S a good animation of someone walking and it’s a pretty scarce sight in gaming”. Animation are IMO excellent considering this is way more dynamic than your average shooter.

11. KoenigNord says:

They also announced a CCG awkwardly not called “Scrolls”. Now I finally understand the Mojang dispute.

12. Nevard says:

In Fallout 4 you can make any character you want to, as long as they’re the type to marry someone of another gender and have a child together.

• tomimt says:

Well it is 1950’s inspired world afterall.

• Fiyenyaa says:

If they continue in the vein of Skyrim, I expect there will be plenty of options with regards to that once you’re in the game proper.

• Nevard says:

Considering your spouse and child allegedly die almost immediately as the game begins (though I don’t really believe that for a second) that’s an awful lot of unnecessary effort to go to just to tell us that the main character isn’t gay though.

• TacticalNuclearPenguin says:

Or maybe they’re not going through any sort of effort to explain anything, maybe it’s just a thing with no strings attached with no importance whatsoever.

• Distec says:

It’s a silly thing to get twisted over.

• Poison_Berrie says:

Considering their previous games, there’s a high chance of you being right.

• Barkonius says:

Jeebus man, does everything have to represent ecerybody? What makes you so f**king special?

13. nofare says:

Nothing surprising that they announced … nothing really, but the easiest things to implement in any game: new Excel-sheet like mods … official ones though, made by Bethesda themselves.
    Whoohoo!
    Build a hut!
    Build your own weapons!
    Build a game that looks like it was made 3 years ago!
    Hey, look! Cool ways of morphing your character’s face during creation!

Zzz.

Shame on them that they would dare to show up with such non-sense and announce it with such dead-in-the-eye corporate fanfare. Actually, the corporate thing is particularly appropriate, isn’t it? It’s become the go-to-stage of cynical, corporate drones who only talk in well-rehearsed focus group produced sound-bites.

What truly matters in most games and, particularly in RPGs, is that quaint old thing called “the writing”. It’s “quaint” but it’s also the hardest thing to come by. There’s none of it here, of course, and, I would wager, none of it in the actual game either. Where are the stories I want to go back to? Where are the characters that will stay with me for years? Where are the moral dilemmas? Where’s the sense of wonder, or irony?

Nothing.
    Big pass.

Back to Pillars of Eternity now.

• Sandepande says:

They are still plenty of fun as games. The story only needs to be good enough to give a reason to go to places, and to have stuff to do. Good writing can make things more interesting, and memorable, but I don’t need great fiction to enjoy the systems and shooting people in the face with VATS.

• skyturnedred says:

Problem is, the combat in Fallout 3 (or any Bethesda game for that matter) wasn’t good enough to compensate for the poor writing.

• TacticalNuclearPenguin says:

Maybe not combat, or maybe not that alone, but many things did. New Vegas improved the writing, but then made other things worse instead.

I too would prefer CDPR handling it, or the much utopian case in which Bethesda does the world and Obsidian the writing, but i’m pretty sure this new FO4 would need to turn into a complete disaster for me not to want to sink 400 hours in it.

• Derpa says:

What did NV make worse?

• OmNomNom says:

CDPR would simply not fit with this game. Witcher 3 is great and has a good story but it can also be rather drudgingly slow. Combat is uninspiring, crafting is dull and it feels like a level based progression system. Everything is far more tied to storylines than being ‘open world’, it is about as open world as Shadow of Mordor. Once I’ve done all the quests it’ll be about 100 hours playtime max, I very much doubt i would play W3 again after completing it as it would just be the same experience all over again.

Fallout 4 will be a far more massive open world experience along the lines of F3/NV and Skyrim. I don’t expect the overall storyline to be as good as W3 but then that is always an afterthought with these games anyway, it is about exploring the world and the experience you create for yourself along the way. I’m really glad they’re using the old engine as it means it’s likely to be as moddable as the previous games and i will get hundreds of hours and multiple playthroughs out of it with many mods that change the way you play the game. In a few years Witcher 3 will be a dead memory but Fallout 4 will live on.

• ulix says:

The basics are usually there, the foundation for good gameplay. You just need an overhaul mod like Oscuro`s Oblivion Overhaul or Skyrim Redone to properly enjoy it.

• gorgonaut says:

You have some good general points, with which I agree. Story is numero uno, and a sense of wonder is a rare thing these days.

Your vitriol, though, and supremely condescending tone, hinting of superior knowledge and insight is, to me at least, cringeworthy, and completely distracts from your arguments. I don’t know who you are. I don’t really care. I just hope this isn’t much similar to your response when you buy a car, or when someone gives you a gift.

This is fallout. It’s going to bee wonky in places. It’s also going to be Fallout, for which I am grateful.

• OmNomNom says:

In a way i disagree. Story is important but gameplay is numero uno.
        I can always forgive weak storylines if I’ve had a blast playing the game. Just because it is an RPG does not mean it has to have an amazing storyline. A pet peeve of mine is when a good rpg degenerates into endless slow cutscenes for things i could have just as easily have read. Dragon Age Inq is guilty of this and so is Witcher 3 although maybe to a lesser extent.
        If I’m desperate for a good story then I’ll read a book or even watch a good movie.

• Blackcompany says:

They basically took every good idea modders had and crammed it into Fallout 3. Then, they made a few cosmetic changes and released it as a new game. Or at least this is what it feels like to me.

My take: You built a shooter on that outdated, decrepit engine. Meanwhile, IdTech sits gathering dust. Why?

• Sandepande says:

I suspect their production is more familiar with the old engine and if they did begin working on FO4 in 2009, then a lot of work was probably built on FO3. And changing engines mid-project is likely difficult what with all the various game systems already designed for this particular iteration…

• ulix says:

From my very basic knowledge of Engines and graphics I`d wager IdTech would need like 16GB or 32GB of Ram in an Open World game.

• OmNomNom says:

As much as i love Id their recent engines have been flaky as hell. They suffer from bad texture quality and pop in, mediocre performance and not to mention the laughable 60fps cap. The recent Wolfenstein games were great DESPITE the Id engine but they would have been a hell of a lot better on Cryengine or Unreal.

• Solidstate89 says:

Your arrogant, holier-than-thou attitude just makes me want to vomit.

• nofare says:

Aww, apologies for expressing an opinion. Here’s a bucket.

If people are happy buying the latest sub-par shiny product, then, please, by all means, let them buy the latest sub-par shiny product. But don’t come around suggesting I’m condescending or arrogant or that, explain that one to me, have “superior knowledge”.
        I merely look at how things are done and sold, over and over again, and I draw my conclusions, which I express with pointed energy, as I actually care. Because, in fact, there are good games out there, AAA or otherwise. And although they are few and far between, they keep me coming back and hope for good work.

Bethesda hasn’t produced good work in many years. It’s auto-pilot mode for them … which they’re happy to keep up as, really, people keep buying their stuff. A clever business decision if there ever was one, but one that doesn’t help game design and game storytelling.

• Solidstate89 says:

No, it’s not your opinion. It’s your attitude.

• Distec says:

Why do people take the most bitter and angry tone when writing their screeds about X Popular Video Game and then act fucking defensive when somebody calls it out? Yes, it’s your opinion. He also expressed an opinion. I am posting an opinion right now. And around and round we go.

We fucking get it. Opinions! People have them! And when you make yours known, you can probably expect one in response! Why do so many people on RPS, or the internet in general, feel the need to point this out every time?

• Machocruz says:

Is it only a problem when it’s against popular video games, as opposed to unpopular ones?

• OmNomNom says:

Why is your opinion on our opinions so bitter and angry?

• Vin_Howard says:

Your arrogant, holier-than-thou attitude just makes me want to vomit.

• OmNomNom says:

I love Pillars of Eternity but the writing is a bit weak imo. Waiting on Torment.

14. ribby says:

that is some nice concept art- and I really like the character design

15. mashkeyboardgetusername says:

Pip, you missed the most important information: there is a gun that can shoot teddy bears at people.

• mashkeyboardgetusername says:

Also a jetpack.

• Nevard says:

Why would I shoot a jetpack at someone instead of putting it on?

• Kaeoschassis says:

Maybe the jetpack shoots teddybears? Like some sort of nightmare inducing pseudo-Revenant… oh wait, wrong hype.

16. tonicer says:

Urgh that they always do these kind of demos with a gamepad rather than a mouse&keyboard is disgusting.

I always feel motionsick when i see gamepad gameplay.

Also whats with that low fov?

Meh mods will take care of most of the consolitis i hope. (like they did in fo3/fonv/skyrim)

• skyturnedred says:

Gamepad makes for smoother videos, mouse videos tend to be a lot more twitchy.

• ulix says:

Exactly. Gamepads are just vastly superior for persentations when it comes to first person games.
      Now in terms of actual gameplay…

17. Barberetti says:

Finally, another game set in the Fallout universe for me to immerse myself in. Hopefully Three Dog will be commenting on my … err … activities once again.

Can’t wait to ignore the main quest line and get stuck in!

Does anyone know if it’s possible to ditch the dog? I don’t like companions when I play these kind of games.

• Xocrates says:

Well, he specifically asked the dog to join him. So I suspect it’s the same system of before, and you can ignore/drop them.

• Barberetti says:

I hadn’t watched the vid because I’m trying to avoid spoilers as much as possible. Thanks for the reply, good to know!

18. Arglebargle says:

I am sure that Todd Howard’s bloviating about Fallout 4 will bear the same relationship to the game as his previous BS. Not to mention that the game has to be fixed by modders, sometimes for even the most basic of elements. And that F3 ending…..

If you want a laugh, dig up his pre-release commentary about Oblivion and compare it to the actual game.

19. Philopoemen says:

So more FO3 than FNV then.

I’m been a fan of Fallout since playing the original, and learning all the secret bits and discussions on the comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.strategy newsgroup. I sort of enjoyed FO3 but it wasn’t Fallout as i remembered, but fairs fair, Beth owns it – they can do how they please. Then came New Vegas and all my apprehension about this new Fallout was washed away.

I’m just a little disappointed that they’ve seem to taken their cues from F3. No doubt you will be able to max out every skill through books and bobbleheads, rather than actually make some decisions and stick with them. I doubt we’ll see the return of hardcore mode, until its modded in.

Just seems like three steps forward, two steps back.

• Supahewok says:

Bethesda did not make New Vegas. Obsidian did, with Bethesda’s permission, funding, and “technical know-how” (aka their decrepit game engine).

There’s no reason for them to take cues from New Vegas. As far as I’m aware, critical reaction to NV was mixed on release, unlike all of F3’s GOTY awards, and a substantial number of F3 fans hated NV. NV didn’t really get its cult status for a year or two after its release.

Just check out RPS’ very own Wot I Think on the game, and the comments that went along with it. ‘Twas a day of infamy. Never Forget.

• Machocruz says:

Supposedly New Vegas sold more, and was lauded for its improvements even while condemned for its bugs. Review scores and opinions from one side of the aisle weigh more I guess

• Kaeoschassis says:

To be fair, you can max out every skill (okay, NEARLY) in New Vegas without much difficulty. But yes, I loved NV much, much more than F3.

• Machocruz says:

I had a lot of skills maxed out in Fallout 2. Enough to exceed the bounds of ‘specialized character’ and go over into ‘jack of all trades’ territory. I think FO1 was the only “RPG strict” game in the series.

20. BTAxis says:

Has anything been said about the delay for the PC version yet?

• Sandepande says:

Haven’t read that there would be a delay.

• Supahewok says:

I’m sure that’s the joke.

To be serious, I doubt this game will have a PC delay. I don’t recall any Bethesda sandbox having a PC specific delay, they’ve always had simultaneous launches. (Well, unless you want to be a pedant and say that PC exclusives like Daggerfall were delayed back in the day…)

Styxie says:

Those dead eyed mannequin faces are still horrific to behold. I don’t think I could get past them enough that I could play an entire RPG where everyone looks like they’re build out of melting plasticine. That bathroom scene was genuinely terrifying.

Fallout Shelter looks great though, I hope they’ll release it on PC soon.

22. XhomeB says:

It looks even more like your typical FPS, except with atrocious animations, even more simplified character progression system compared to what they had before, and terrible Mass Effect-like conversations.
    F3 was trash, and thing will be no exception. Pretty sure many will defend it though, because big world and EXPLORASHUN (meaningless, pointless and boring, but who cares, right?).

• ulix says:

So you saw something about the character progression system?
      I sure didn`t, apart from them using SPECIAL again. Please tell me more.

23. AngusPrune says:

Welp, they’ve done it. They’ve made Fallout a first person shooter.

Before now I was going to buy Fallout 4 just for the experience of seeing how Bethesda would make it yet worse, but it looks like they’ve made it so much worse I don’t think I could get any enjoyment out of even that.

I wonder what the next elder scrolls will be like? It seems like Bethesda aren’t in the business of making RPGs any more.

24. fish99 says:

Thought it looked damn good myself.

• Rizlar says:

Yeah, the teaser trailer never grabbed my interest but this did.

• TacticalNuclearPenguin says:

Wait, someone posting positive stuff? WHERE ARE THE COPS?!?

25. Veav says:

The building thing has me a little concerned. They’re seeding the environment with these prebuilt tinkertoy structures. FO3 had the school, the aircraft carrier, the factory, these relics of the past that were broken down and shored up and desecrated but still very recognizeable as being stuff we left behind. FO4 seems like, once you get outside city limits you might as well be playing Rust.

• Solidstate89 says:

What are you talking about? The building is entirely optional. You could literally spend hundreds of hours in game and not do a single thing related to town building.

• Veav says:

Sure, you don’t have to actively build stuff yourself, but this is how they’re generating their own content too. You’re going to run into these constructions as you’re wandering the wasteland. (What I don’t know is if these augment or replace proper set-pieces outside Boston.)

I know that there’s more of the game they didn’t show us, and they made a point of not looking at story bits, but what they did choose to show us is bringing Borderlands and Rust to mind. Still cautiously optimistic but they added more caution than optimism. :/

• Solidstate89 says:

Are you trying to tell me that ramshackle establishments, tents, huts, etc didn’t exist in Fallout 3 or New Vegas?

Because they definitely did.

• Veav says:

Not at all, but they weren’t LEGO creations. (At least not so blatantly.)

• onodera says:

That’s how Bethesda always generated their content. There was even a blog post where their designer showed how they assembled their dungeons from prefabricated tunnels, rooms and staircases.

• Veav says:

Sure, prefabs/assets are a standard, necessary part of game development, I get that. But I feel uneasy seeing how… Sims-like the results are.

Though if the tradeoff is they can get them in the world without loading screens then I’ll suck it down. :P

26. Monggerel says:

As someone with four score and seven years of experience in post-punkalyptic wine tasting, I can tell you on a goddamn fact that I would definitely buy this video-machine product-product for exactly one dollar. No more, no less. No gods or kings. Only one dollar.

27. Kestrel says:

I really wanted to like New Vegas but just bounced off it so hard. FO3 wasn’t much different, but maybe I’ll give it another shot.

Interestingly, if you boot up Fallout 1, the people in the cutscenes are so much more lifelike than people in 3 and NV. I just feel like the series hasn’t progressed in the last ten years. Maybe the new one will do better.

28. GallonOfAlan says:

Let the butthurt begin based on SPECULATION and CONJECTURE.

Anyway that name thing? Black & White did that years ago. Except it did it without telling you and scare the shit out of you by saying it.

29. Sardonic says:

I hope that UI isn’t final because that UI looks like some amateur hour shit.

30. Solidstate89 says:

I’m quite looking forward to this, though it might not be a day 1 buy as I still haven’t really gotten around to playing The Witcher 3 yet (I got sucked into Skyrim again a couple weeks before its release) so I’ll probably pick it up a few months later. But I’m drooling at the mod possibilities.

I actually really like the introduction of the town building aspect. The Settlers Mod for Fallout 3 never jived with me very much for whatever reason, but this looks a lot more usable, and since it’s in the vanilla game, a lot more ingrained into the rest of the world.

31. DrCop says:

My goodness there are some bitter & petulant babies here. I had thought this would be a good community to get involved in but it looks like the same tired gamer vitriol you’d see on a youtube comment but without the offensive usernames, so thanks for that at least. Blegh.

• kament says:

Everyone has a strong opinion even about RPGs in general. But when it comes to Fallout? You might as well discuss a new version of Islam with some dude from ISIS. Also, witcher witcher witcher rabble rabble rabble.

Harlander says:

There’s only a few topics which really generate high levels of vitriol. Unfortunately the Fallout series is one of them.

Usually the problem with the comments is people having long, detailed discussions,
      with each comment being crushed into a smaller
      and smaller horizontal space
      until your eyes
      cross
      trying
      to
      re
      ad
      it.

• Machocruz says:

If you wanted a hugbox of cheerleading and gushing, you came to the wrong place.

• Lionmaruu says:

I agree with you, that’s some pathetic people around thinking everything should be old and pixelated just old fallout. dont get me wrong fo1/2 are awesome games but I would never trade the experience of the new games for that, you can just play dozens of other point and click rpgs instead, wasteland 2 for example.

• Drivic says:

It has nothing to do with that you “pathetic” idiot.
        It’s not that the fans crave for the original graphics, it’s not that they want things to never have changed.

Actually bother reading the comments that disapprove of Bethesda and you’ll see it’s just people who enjoyed the originals and New Vegas asking Bethesda not to ruin even more what was once a beloved and well crafted series.
        Consistently making the game less and less of an RPG, now even adding blatant copy-paste mechanics from other games, and consistently focusing on aspects and ideas that have nothing to do with Fallout (like base building, for whatever fucking reason, or yet another setting that looks completely devastated 200 fucking years after the bombs dropped) and not even having the human capability of sticking to their own lore and instead constantly taking pieces from the original lore and gutting them on the floor for their own lazy convenience (as they did with the Brotherhood of Steel, the Enclave, HAROLD, etc).

All of this to create a massively media-hyped mediocre game, that will attract even more juvenile fans to the series, who, in turn, much like the idiots attracted with FO3, will demand even more generic gameplay and reject any other future alternatives, to the point where eventually Bethesda won’t even bother allowing Obsidian to make a proper fucking Fallout RPG game.

• DrCop says:

It’s probably that you’re calling fans of Fallout 3 “idiots” that’s more pathetic than anything else. You don’t own the Fallout franchise and I’m sorry you feel personally affronted that the game was taken somewhere that you don’t like but it’s not up to you as to what constitutes a “proper fucking Fallout game.” Maybe if you got over yourself a bit & tried out Fallout 4 you’d have fun? Who knows!

• Drivic says:

It’s perfectly possible and probable that I, along with anyone that actually played the original games, actually knows more than Bethesda as to what constitutes a proper Fallout game.
            Does it matter, however? Absolutely not. The IP belongs to Bethesda so they are perfectly free to ruin the franchise as much they want to and for as long as it keeps filling their bank accounts.

I suggest you a different point of view, nonetheless, from someone that played every Fallout game to completion, including the dreadful third one:
            Maybe if you got over yourself you’d realize it’s perfectly possible for someone to simply not like what Bethesda did or does. I know, no way, right? But it is, it actually is possible, believe it or not, to have played it and simply NOT have liked it.
            The same way it’s possible to look at FO4’s trailers and, so far, NOT like them.
            Wow!

SoundDust says:

Now I really wanna be Bananas Coleslaw..

33. Hunchentoot says:

Yeah man, what’s with all the negative vibes?! Maybe they’d be better not bringing out Fallout4 and you could all have a bitch about that instead.

• Monggerel says:

*Obligatory bitching about bitching about bitching about *insert product*
      We’ve officially reached Peak Meta
      It’s all downhill from here

LIKE FALLOUT 4!
      HA! YOU FUCKIN TOSSER! AHHAHAHAH! WHY ARE YOU FEELING THINGS!

34. Lionmaruu says:

The game looks awesome and the only way I am not playing that is if I am very very dead by november!
    crafting/customization looks awesome and I cant even imagine what mooders will be able to do with the game!
    the only mixed thing is the voiced actor for the main character, that makes modding and more content much more expensive or weird if you take it out. they really “mass effectized” the dialogs and I dont like it, mass effect has nothing to share with a true open world game like fallout.

35. The Ultimate Clone of The Ultimate Warrior says:

It’d be great to get a list of the names that have been recorded so we can pick the ones we want and know they will be uttered.

36. Marblecake says:

This looks great! I mean, we all know Fallout died with Fallout 3, so no reason to get our panties in a bunch. It looks like an amazing, post-apocalyptic version of Skyrim! (And I recently started playing Skyrim again although I initially hated it because not a real RPG blablabla…having a jolly good time now!)
    And the base-building is just a really cool bit. Who needs a main quest? Give me tons of side-quest, a world I can mess with and allow modders to have a ball and this could be one of my most-played games ever.

A coop mode would be awesome to show friends the amazing bases and towns we built…

Take that, you hive of cynics :D

37. Kerr Avon says:

Fallout 3 is one of the best games I’ve ever played – I can’t say I really want to go back there again though. Disappointing to hear they’re going over old ground yet again… why on earth can’t they go in a different direction for once and create a different universe? Like say, a spaghetti western RPG? Say, set in 1860’s north America and northern Mexico? Set it during the civil war and let us be Lee Van Cleef, Eli Wallach or Clint Eastwood in our own Good the Bad and the Ugly RPG. Sort of like the bastard son of Red Dead Redemption and Fallout/Skyrim. Or you know, just something a LITTLE different than what we’ve already played before? Just an idea, Bethesda…

38. Distec says:

So hey, did NMA migrate here for the day or what.

DelrueOfDetroit says:

“I was rather ticked by a Donkey Kong-style game called Red Menace”

Ticked or tickled?

40. InfamousPotato says:

I can’t say I’m super hyped or anything, but the crafting looks really nice. I would like to build my own settlement in the wasteland… also, it’s nice that there won’t be any useless materials. The one thing I worry about is carry weight. It could make building take a lot longer…