Mass Effect: Andromeda Announced For Holiday 2016

Glory be! I can finally stop tutting as my colleagues casually refer to the next Mass Effect game as ‘Mass Effect 4‘, which BioWare have been quite clear it wouldn’t be. I’m a little insufferable as RPS news editor. But! Electronic Arts formally announced the game this evening with a trailer, a tiny handful of details, and a name: Mass Effect: Andromeda [official site].

BioWare explain in on their blog:

“While we aren’t ready to go into too many details just yet, as you saw in the trailer and can tell by the name, this game is very much a new adventure, taking place far away from and long after the events of the original trilogy. You will play a human, male or female, though that’s actually not the character you saw in the trailer (more on that later). You’ll be exploring an all-new galaxy, Andromeda, and piloting the new and improved Mako you saw. And through it all, you will have a new team of adventurers to work with, learn from, fight alongside of, and fall in love with.”

It’s coming in the 2016 Christmas season. Here, watch this and you’ll know about as much as I do:

In truth, I don’t think Johnny Cash’s version of (Ghost) Riders in the Sky is the best one. But which is? Oh Ian Electronic Arts, I’ll tell you that when you tell me more about Mass Effect: Andromeda.

1. mavrik says:

Please don’t make this the same kind of crap as DA:I :/

• LexW1 says:

I didn’t hate DA:I but yeah, let’s hope this basically IN NO WAY resembles the not-good aspects of DA:I.

Unfortunately I have a feeling it might – still, almost every sucky aspect of DA:I could have not-sucked if implemented even slightly differently.

• mavrik says:

I didn’t hate it either, but it was just so… very… average and disappointing. Like playing a Bethseda game, not a game from people that made Mass Effect. I actually played it in parallel with my GF playing ME3 and ME3 was so much more epic in it’s writing, much more touching in it’s iteraction with your team and had significantly larger stakes. It felt like proper space opera. DA:I was (with exception of few scenes) mostly… “meh”.

• salgado18 says:

I find your words interesting. To me, ME3 was too much of an “supercool action movie in space like look at this so cool” game. The first two were intimate, bonding, more like a great novel. I finished ME1 and 2 while exploring a lot; couldn’t get past the middle of 3. Too “action hero” for my taste.

If this is like the first two, I’m sold (and the game). If it’s like the 3, and also like “wow so many video gamez l00k”, i’ll pass.

• CallMeIshmael says:

After DAI got such a fantastically great critical reception and sales numbers, I’m worried that it’s gonna resemble DAI. A shame, really. Still, being a little bit negative about MEA will at least mean that if Bioware makes something genuinely special, I’ll be very pleased to be proven wrong.

• malkav11 says:

It’s been in development since well before Inquisition came out, hasn’t it? I don’t think Inquisition’s critical reception will have had much impact one way or the other on it for that reason. It will probably shape the future direction of Dragon Age games, though. That said, I strongly suspect this will be a similar formula, especially if there’s going to be a significant amount of Mako in it. It conceivably might be a better fit for ME, though. They’ve had such a hardon for planetary exploration in past games, and an Inquisition style bunch of big open zones as planets to explore would certainly be a big improvement over the desolate pointlessness of the first game’s secondary planets or the stupid minigames the subsequent two games brought in instead. And ME’s gunplay is a better approach to combat for that sort of scope, too, I think. Whereas Dragon Age did so well on tactical battles in the first game and moving away from that has mostly produced boredom. And tactical battles don’t mesh well with an open world.

2. mpk says:

So… anyone else seeing this as another online multiplayer shooter?

• Cockie says:

…no?

• Solidstate89 says:

Just you.

• CallMeIshmael says:

Why would anyone see the next installment in an established series of story-driven singleplayer shooter-RPGs see this as another online multiplayer shooter?

• mpk says:

A:) Because ME3 multiplayer was simple and enjoyable Horde mode stuff that I’m sure has made a bucketload of cash via microtransactions
        2:) It’s easier to market and make a multiplayer shooter based on an existing and popular franchise than than to actually make the next installment a story-driven singleplayer shooter-RPG which – despite how much I personally enjoyed the last game – has lost a lot of cache with it’s hardcore fans because of how cack-handed the finale was.
        3:) This is EA. They’ll do what makes most money over giving fans what they actually want most days of the week, and the fact that it’s MASS EFFECT COLON ANDROMEDA instead of M4SS EFFECT or somesuch says to me that’s an offshoot rather than a continuation.
        D:) The slideshow of different environments; jetpacks; the battle scene is obviously short and ambiguous but is non-representative of previous games. The obvious corollary of that is this this a new game, and new ideas are allowed.

We’ll wait and see.

• LexW1 says:

Er, no, we won’t “wait and see”. They’ve been very clear already. ME:A is, just like ME3, a big story/character-based RPG (more explore-y than previous MEs, even ME1, though note), with all the decisions and dialogue and so on, which also has a co-op multiplayer mode. This isn’t a secret.

• mpk says:

It may not have been a secret, but it also wasn’t immediately apparent in the five seconds between me watching the trailer and posting a comment.

I have now waited, and I have now seen.

• SuicideKing says:

Because of 1:27?

• Applecrow says:

I’ll admit, the trailer did make it look more shooter than anything else.

3. akstro says:

We all knew this wax coming and I’m excited but at the start it looked like Dead Space and then I was disappoined :(

4. Reverb says:

I only wanted to say I enjoyed the Lee & Herring reference in this post.

5. TormDK says:

If the online part as, or more, robust than what we saw in ME3, then that alone will sell games.

So yeah, hope so.

• Tekrunner says:

I think I played like 2 missions of the single-player campaign of ME3. But I sank more than 100h into the multiplayer, and would have played it a lot more if it hadn’t had frustratingly bad netcode and awkward controls. It seems unthinkable that they wouldn’t add a multiplayer mode to the next ME, so here’s hoping it becomes a central feature, instead of what looked like a little (but very efficient) side-project.

• LexW1 says:

It’s more integrated, but still strictly optional – it is by the same team this time, instead of a separate one. Hoping they learned something about netcode though, jesus.

6. jellydonut says:

I can’t believe they changed the Mass Effect logo swoosh sound. That sound nearly makes me cry, god-damnit.

7. Dinger says:

So, is it this a Monument-Valley-planet game or Monument-Valley-galaxy game?

8. Ejia says:

Well, you could call it Mass Effect: 4ndromeda and piss basically everyone off.

9. SuicideKing says:

Female lead character?

Anyway, I wonder what the chances are of this being an EA game that’s worth buying, given how things have been lately.

• CallMeIshmael says:

Probably will be an option, and probably not going to get any better than how it’s been. EA seems content to do EA.

• LexW1 says:

They confirmed the option for both genders as lead a long time back (Comic-Con 2014 iirc). Just hope she’s as badass as FemShep was.

• Rizlar says:

Well officially femshep is canon, but also officially she died at the end of ME3. So adventures of maleshep?

Seriously though, from what little information that trailer provided I was kind of disappointed by the immediate N7. Would be much cooler to play a council spectre.

• kament says:

The council has been a pain in my ass from day one. I’m done with them.

• Ejia says:

According to BioWare, ME:A is in THE FUTURE!, so probably not maleshep either.

• LexW1 says:

Where is that confirmed? Literally everything I’ve read from them has been them refusing to confirm that and actively suggesting that it’s somehow “at the same time” as ME3.

Indeed the leaks (of which absolutely nothing has been refuted, and many things confirmed, so far) all suggest this starts before the end of ME3. Of course that might be wrong or change, but I wouldn’t believe it without seeing it.

• LexW1 says:

Found it – not sure how I missed that – that is surprising, and I think represents a change in their thinking from earlier designs. Interesting.

• Divolinon says:

You already found it, but also:

At the end of ME3 (after the credits?) they were talking about “The Sheppard” like a mythical figure. So there was that hint in ME3 already.

• SuicideKing says:

Not a problem, mind. Just found it encouraging that they went with her as a default. Hopefully one day it won’t be something that sticks out as special, and becomes normal. ;)

• Zekiel says:

Can you expand on this? I thought maleshep was canon – and they can’t both be canon can they?

• Xzi says:

I could be wrong here, but I believe they had a poll on Bioware’s site to determine which gender was “canon,” and FemShep won. It couldn’t possibly matter less, however, as you choose what is canon in an RPG. They clearly aren’t about to take away that choice in future ME games.

• LexW1 says:

“Canon” won’t matter because they’re going Dragon Age Keep style again (almost certainly):

link to arstechnica.com

“We can’t comment on that yet,” said Flynn, “But the Keep was really successful and people really liked it. It’s cool that we’re a part of games that people want to bring experiences they had in previous games… and we want to honor that as much as we can.”

What about our past choices, then? This has always been one of the series’ biggest selling points (regardless of how everything played out in Mass Effect 3)—so will any of the player’s past choices matter in Mass Effect: Andromeda?

“Yeah…we can’t get into that yet,” said Flynn. “But more on that will be revealed in the coming months.”

So given they’d just say “no” if they were going with “canon”…

Don Reba says:

I have a feeling this is gonna end badly.

• pilouuuu says:

But it’ll have 3 endings with different colours and all that.

11. plugav says:

I see they’re going after the Firefly fandom. I’m okay with that.

• Hmm-Hmm. says:

They’ll have to do more than a fancy trailer with Johnny Cash in it (although Johnny isn’t bad). Now, if it’d be somwhat like No Man’s Sky with a more inhabited universe and a rich story (or perhaps really good randomly generated events and such) and gameplay not just focused on combat..

12. Oduglingen says:

I liked the beginning of the trailer, but then I groaned loudly as they did that jump-and-punch-the-ground thing… Well we’ll see, I’m hoping it’s like how movie trailers always over-emphasize the action scenes.

• kament says:

I want this jump-n-punch thing to be in the game. Don’t you?

• Oduglingen says:

I don’t know, it doesn’t feel very sci-fi. But mostly I groaned because I’ve seen this exact move in so many trailers at this point.

• Binho says:

I don’t, personally I think it looks rather silly. Like suspension of disbelief and physics breaking action movie schlock. I’m with Oduglingen, it made me groan. We’ll see I guess.

• elsparko says:

No! I don’t want to my Mass Effect to be all about space cowboys and focused on “cool combat”.

• kament says:

We all know there going to be combat, and lots of it. In any Mass Effect game you spend half the time in combat. So we have melee moves, we have, apparently, improved locomotion with, erm, jetjumping – why not combine them? Seems not so much kewl as natural to me.

13. kament says:

No idea what I just saw, but I liked it anyway. Jetpack!

14. Cross says:

What’s with all the pessimism? All we know so far is blank slate, new galaxy, and is gonna look gorgeous (That trailer is in-engine).

• Cross says:

Also choice of male and female human characters.

• plugav says:

Be careful! I’ve heard if you admit to liking and/or looking forward to any BioWare game past Baldur’s Gate 2, they can take away your Internet commenter’s permit.

• bleeters says:

Any optimism I might’ve had was ground down by the last few years of Bioware releases. The last game in this franchise almost specifically.

15. Rikard Peterson says:

I don’t know… I looked around for a bit, but found no version better than Johnny Cash’s version he did with the muppets. Not my favourite (kind of) song though, so maybe I’m not the best judge.

• Zenicetus says:

For me, nothing tops the Lawrence Welk band version, a perfect blend of schmaltz and Western cheese:

• Alamech says:

Call me corny, I prefer Burl Ives’ haunting voice:

ComicSansMS says:

Korean vocalist Youn Sun Nah does quite a neat interpretation, if you can stand the jazziness:

16. Ergates_Antius says:

Why did s/he draw his/her side arm after turning around? Do they often walk around their own ship with a gun pointing at the ceiling?

17. Flea says:

I can’t believe I share the same planet with people who look at the very first trailer of the game, which shows no gameplay whatsoever, no story whatsoever, basically nothing worth mentioning except a few shots of scenery, and 18 months before release date they are able to figure out that this is going to fail miserably and suck.

Why even draw parallels with the trilogy when from the beginning the developers kept repeating this is going to be a new universe, new heroes, new stories, new experience. For pete’s sake, if you’re gonna be negative from the start, at least have one solid argument to base your opinions on.

• Binho says:

Well, to be fair the point of a trailer is to set the mood of the game and to introduce us to the kinds of things you will be doing. It’s a first impression of the game. Unless the marketing department was horribly off base, there is a lot you can say about a game/movie based on the trailer.

So I can say for me, as someone who liked the pace and more grounded feel of ME1 over the action movie feel of ME3, that this trailer does not fill me with confidence about the direction they are taking ME:A in.

• kament says:

In other words, you don’t approve of new galaxies, big locations, new means of traversing them and… well, that’s about it. Everything else is not exactly new for the franchise, including driving around in Mako or whatever that was.

• Flea says:

Of course it’s an impression, but it’s only an impression and nothing else. There is nothing substantial in the trailer, nothing in it suggests what the game will be like. There is nothing one can use to form an opinion about gameplay or what the game will be like in general. It bugs me that people can hate something even when there is nothing to hate.

• Geebs says:

You’re quite right, drawing parallels between a game and its immediate prequels in the same series is completely unreasonable.

• Flea says:

You’re intentionally twisting what I said and what you know I meant.

• green frog says:

@Flea

Just yawn and scroll past. Same exact thing happened with Inquisition. And then at the end the game came out and got great reviews, RPS gave it RPG of the year, and all that just made them even angrier.

Haters gonna hate. Welcome to the internet.

• P.Funk says:

Maybe because the trailer is so obviously a rip off of generic summer blockbuster trailers that are usually unimaginative safe repetitions of previously successful fare.

I think the generic hollywood tone of half the trailer is a shame since the whole Johnny Cash song plus the choice of a typical American western setting out of all the crazy environs shown could be seen as a suggestion that the franchise is going into “the wild west” ie. anything goes totally fresh start. Sadly that can be lost and overlooked by the WUMP WUMP WUMP of the bit that desperately looks like just another movie trailer.

Ninja Dodo says:

>The inverse of what you’re complaining about are people being disproportionately excited for something where the trailer offers absolutely no information or justification for that excitement. Its an interesting double standard that positivity requires no argument while negativity must account for itself.

That’s actually very simple. Liking something doesn’t need a justification beyond “I just like it” whereas if you’re going to go out of your way to declare to the internet that you do not approve of a thing and anyone who disagrees is wrong and a bad person (the default mode of online negativity) you better have a good reason, because the internet can always use more positivity but it sure as hell doesn’t need more people dumping on things.

As for getting excited about a relatively unsubstantial teaser… a video does not exist in a vacuum and any excitement is obviously based on everything that precedes it plus what little hint is offered by the teaser itself.

• Flea says:

It’s not double standard. I agree with most of the things Ninja Dodo said in his comment before me. And I’m not one of those people who get overly excited about trailers either. I generally don’t even like cinematic trailers cause they rarely mirror the actual game. It’s just a fancy commercial, like a photo of McDonald’s burgers that never look the same in real life. But when you actively go out of your way and make a statement that the game will suck and there is nothing you have seen except this trailer, then that’s unsubstantiated and unreasonable hating.

18. salgado18 says:

Bioware just posted this on their blog:

link to blog.bioware.com

19. Poison_Berrie says:

Andromeda, really? So they can travel between Galaxies now, but are apparently still using mostly the same technology? Maybe that’s just the hard science fiction fan in me, but building rising up from the sands and constructing themselves. What’s the point in making something like that.

Also that’s quite a large scale battle. There goes my hope for something a little personal and less epic. That looks like it’s going to be save the Galaxies kind of stuff.

• Zenicetus says:

It might be a smart move, if the shift to Andromeda isn’t a result of improved technology, but some accident. Like the lead character and the ship’s crew getting sucked into a wormhole or some other handwavium explanation. No way back, so they have to explore and survive with whatever tech they brought with them.

It allows a clean slate, where they don’t have to reference the Reapers and the multiple Shep endings. Which would be a good thing.

• Gap Gen says:

I’ve ignored basically all of Mass Effect’s lore and am significantly happier for it. It’s a big fantastical adventure in something that looks like space and that’s fine by me. That said, I’m sure there are people who take the Mass Effect universe very seriously and if they’re happy doing that, then great.

• Asurmen says:

What’s wrong with being able to travel between galaxies but still using the same principles of their technology?

20. P.Funk says:

wub wub wub WUB WUB WUB WUBWUBWUBWUBWUBWUB!!! *cut to silence* ……………… *BOOM*

21. Gilly says:

Yet another mediocre shooter with a binary morality system, rote conversation and tons of overused sci-fi tropes.

I don’t care if it’s a franchise, it’s still just more of the same.

22. Bluestormzion says:

Oh boy, another opportunity to pay 180 dollars and spend 300 hours to wind up feeling like my psyche just got violently butt fucked by Iron Mike Tyson actually MADE OF IRON and powered by a Nuclear-Hydraulic jackhammer.

Fuck EA for ruining what was originally the best SciFi RPG ever. Fuck them and everything they touch.

• ulix says:

How do you know they ruined it? The game isn`t out yet…
      And you can`t be talking about ME3, can you? Because ME 3 was spectacularily good, at least for abou 95% of the way. Yeah, the ending was shite, but everything that came before was a perfect culmination of the first two games.

ME3 > ME1 > ME2. But even ME2 was okay.

• Fenix says:

I absolutely loved ME3. But it’s a bit like if you’re being treated to an elaborate 10-course dinner, and then have to eat a very small turd at the end. Regardless of how great the food was, the turd was still there. And that diminishes the rest of the experience to a certain extent.

• green frog says:

@Bluestormzion

See, this is why I love RPS. Such a delightful community.

23. senorpoco says:

Is that a Mako? I’m out.

Ninja Dodo says:

I am unapologetically hyped for this. I came to the series late and was initially skeptical finding it all a bit cold and sterile, but it grew on me and over the course of the series I went from “I’ll give this a chance *maybe*” to it being one my favourite series. Love the whole trilogy, especially ME2 and 3 (and Citadel!), so I can’t wait to see what they’ve done with this one.

25. racccoon says:

hmmm

26. NMorgan says:

No Shepard?

Pffffft. pffffhrrrprptptpt. HRRRRRPPPFFFTTT!
    I’ll watch someone’s letsplay of it on YouTube and that’ll be that. Another forgettable title.

27. Razumen says:

They can’t call this Andromeda and not have Kevin Sorbo in it, it just ain’t right!