Oh: Plants vs. Zombies Garden Warfare 2 Announced

What I’d wanted next from Plants vs. Zombies was a tower defence sequel not all guffed up with mobile microtransaction-y stuff. What EA gave us was a third-person multiplayer shooter, Garden Warfare. I’m sure they thought they knew something we didn’t. They still do, as EA today announced Plants vs. Zombies Garden Warfare 2 [official site].

The sequel will take the action to suburbia, bringing new characters and weapons and whatnot. And an orange who doesn’t seem at all perturbed that he’s partially flayed.

The game’s due in spring 2016 but beyond that, all I can tell you for now is that this trailer is frightful:

1. vorador says:

The first game was a pretty fine game.

And then all went downhill from there.

• vorador says:

Seriously, i don’t care for a multiplayer shooter. There’s plenty of them in the market already.

2. SanguineAngel says:

holy moly that header image is terrifying

• Josh W says:

I was thinking that. Are those sunglasses? Is it a moustache?

3. Coming Second says:

I have zero clue, from that trailer, what this game even is.

Serrit says:

Love how that alt text suddenly got a lot more grim once I’d read the 2nd paragraph. Is is wrong to chuckle darkly at masochistic citrus?

5. misterT0AST says:

Did the first Garden Warfare have a big playerbase? Was it a success?

6. ohms says:

What happened to a PC version of regular PvZ2.

• Jalan says:

Hopefully dead in the water. I briefly played the mobile version and after the level updates with the beach (which were blatantly difficult in an effort to soak away any coin reserve players had built up to that point) I was done. True, the humor might still be there in the series and there might even be a small beating heart stuffed under all that IAP garbage but it’s too far gone to be good and it doesn’t belong on PC.

7. foop says:

It’s still going strong. I knew nothing about it until my son wanted to get it – it’s PEGI 7, because apparently setting sentient plants on fire is different from doing the same to actual people. Once he started playing it, I got another copy so that I could join him.

It’s not game of the year, but it’s a nice multiplayer shooter. I’d prefer to play it over BF4, f’rinstance, any day of the week. It’s fun, and reasonably balanced. There’s a variety of game modes, and you’re pretty much guaranteed to find a full game of the more popular modes whenever you log on. The character designs are nice, there’s plenty of variety, and there are buy-random-card-packs with play-earned coin style upgrades.

Even better, the net code is (usually) fairly solid and never, ever has another player told me what they had done, or were planning to do with my mother.