South Park: The Fractured But Whole Announced

South Park: The Stick of Truth was pretty good (though not without its problems), and South Park is big bucks, so Ubisoft announcing a sequel is no surprise. But who cares about fantasy any more? No, all the kids are into superheroes now. It’s not Stick or Truth 2, then, but South Park: The Fractured but Whole [official site].

Trey Parker and Matt Stone say it should be better this time.

As I’ve been sat in this damn chair for the best part of fourteen hours, you get the official description with none of my sparkling repartee:

“In South Park: The Fractured but Whole, players will delve into the crime-ridden underbelly of South Park with Coon and Friends. This dedicated group of crime fighters was formed by Eric Cartman whose superhero alter-ego, The Coon, is half man, half raccoon. As the New Kid, players will join Mysterion, Toolshed, Human Kite, Mosquito, Mint Berry Crunch and a host of others to battle the forces of evil while Coon strives to make his team the most beloved superheroes in history.”

Curiously, Obsidian aren’t developing this one; it’s being made by Ubisoft San Francisco. No word on a release date yet.

1. LessThanNothing says:

I played the original game well after the initial release and many of the problems in the Wot I Think had been fixed. Looking forward to the next game.

2. Mudface says:

Minus Obsidian, plus UPlay….

• Hedgeclipper says:

guess the jokes on us this time

• kevinspell says:

I was ready to somehow swallow the uplay part. But no Obsidian? I guess we are climbing towers and liberating outposts in this one.

3. povu says:

I always thought Obsidian’s strongest side was their story telling. Since that’s not the most important part of South Park (when you’ve already got Parker and Stone on the project) I’m not going to be too pessimistic about this being developed by a different team.

4. commentingaccount says:

Without Obsidian… I am very scared. The first one was great, why’d they have to cut Obsidian out of the picture? :(

• Ninco says:

i know … well lets hope for the best .. I mean it seems parker and stone are still very involved. I just enjoyed the first one so much it would be a shame if the second wasn’t as good. But really the only thing that needed improvemnt from the last game was the rpg elements more than anything else especially the difficultly curve which really y dropped off mid to late game.

• Big Murray says:

Let’s all be honest here … if your aim is to make a game which doesn’t have flaws, then cutting Obsidian out is the only realistic way of achieving that.

5. Blaaaaaaag says:

“Yeah, everyone, pre-order, that’s a good idea!”

Haha, well at least Ubi appear to have a sense of humour about themselves.

6. aircool says:

UPlay = No Way!

7. malkav11 says:

The only thing that brought me to The Stick of Truth was Obsidian. I’m a huge fan of theirs, not a huge fan of South Park (although I did enjoy the movie, so it’s not totally anathema to me or anything). Definitely a wait and see on this one. At best.

8. satan says:

SoT felt like a really long flash game to me, the gimmicky mini games associated with just executing basic party RPG orders (want to use an ability? first press button combo! now mash this! now swirl this!) really got on my nerves and I quit.

9. PegasusOrgans says:

Let me guess, Obsidian didn’t do a good enough job?! F u Ubisoft, no way I’mbgetting this unless it’s an 80%+ Steam sale AND very good. Seeing how 20+ years of South Park games have sucked UNTIL Obsidian’s version, I have serious doubts it’ll be any good.

• Fanbuoy says:

To be fair, I think the difference in quality between SoT and previous games has at least as much to do with Matt and Trey as it does with Obsidian.

• Big Murray says:

If Stick of Truth didn’t have the South Park writing team behind it, then it would be a supremely average (if that) game. Obsidian can’t get the credit for SoT.

10. Jason Moyer says:

I was only really interested in SoT because of Obsidian, so I probably won’t be playing this. Oh, well.

11. dethtoll says:

lol these comments

it’s south park and y’all want an elegantly crafted story?

y’all outta your minds, i’m all over this shit

12. italianprick says:

Honestly i’m happy that Obsdian is not working on sequel of this game. I like them because they try to do different things.

• Hypocee says:

Yeah, Obsidian chose and devised the game formula. Now the work is to translate new content (jokes) into the engine and maybe tweak some minigames and difficulty. I can’t think of a more ideal situation to hand off a sequel to another studio.

13. Uninteresting Curse File Implement says:

Sure, I’ll play this.
    Stick of Truth was a good time, and it didn’t feel like much of an Obsidian story, so nothing should be lost here.

14. Eddy9000 says:

“The fractured but whole”

Love it.

15. Shiloh says:

Heh, pretty much sold on the trailer alone. I’ll be taking Butters’ advice though.

“Yeah, everyone pre-order. THAT’S a good idea”

16. drewski says:

Hopefully this means Obsidian are in a strong enough financial position now that they can start turning down contract work for stuff they’re not super keen enough.

Was curious to see it’s a new dev, but then I never actually played the last so, meh.